What's new

Russia blocks RD-93 to Pakistan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
little boy hasnt our NATO thought you not to pic on some one who is too big for your size:rofl:
genmirajborgza,
MuradK sir, is a retired PAF Air marshal and a pathan, so my advise is stay clear:agree: or he will teach the something the gunners know very well, he'll get you pull-throughed.:rofl:

I am too involved in the petroleum business and out of touch. Has any thought of Rolls Royce engines for JF 17.

When I was at the National Engineering Labs at East Kilbride, near Glasgow in 1966; there was Rolls Royce works next to it and I had a chance to visit it a few times. They were working on Concorde at that time , but the professionalism was very impressive. I was told that Rolls Royce could make engines to fit any aircraft and they did to it for RAF Phantoms. Rolls Royce has since gone bankrupt and changed hands, are they still manufacturing aircraft engines??

I was merely quoting Sun Tzu and the point about knowing yourself was the relevant part.
No issues, Keyser, what I said was unrelated to any of you. Indeed, you and Sun Tzu are correct.

genmirajborgza,
MuradK sir, is a retired PAF Air marshal and a pathan, so my advise is stay clear:agree: or he will teach the something the gunners know very well, he'll get you pull-throughed.:rofl:
I second that. LOL @ "little boy".

niaz said:
I am too involved in the petroleum business and out of touch. Has any thought of Rolls Royce engines for JF 17.

Anything western comes with many strings attached. We need something that the Chinese can eventually start making on their own. Western countries would know this too and hence we might face their reluctance to sell. It's still possible, but that's how the Indian influences in the media would play it, even if we agree to keep the chinese away from the engine.

If i was given a choice I would take the engines of our F-7 and put it in JF-17if possible and do the same with the Mirages we have. I am not a engg but I am sure with a couple of modifications we can get it working and replace all F-7s with JF-17. Its a wild shot.

the jf-17 will be equiped by either the rd-93 or the chinese ws-13, according to the pakistan aeronuatical website the ws-13 is co- produced by china and pakistan - dont know how true that is though.

putting the ws-13 onto the jf-17 wont be hard, the engine was copied and is based upon the rd-93, but going for a different engine apart from these two will delay the jf-17 by years.

Niaz,

RR still makes jet engines (I don't know if they make them for military use or not) commercial airliners (the RR RB211 series for Boeing 747s, 757s, and 767s). Cathay Pacific uses RR Trent 800 and Trent 900 engines on its 777-300s. RR is making the Trent 1000 as an engine contender for the Airbus A-350XWB.

Now, back to the engine of the JF-17. Would it make sense to use a fuel- inefficient turbojet engine when a more efficient turbofan engine can be used? No, it really does not make sense. With regards to Western equipment, well, as Asim Aqil said, there will be strings attached, and the supply of that equipment would be liable to be terminated at any point.

RR still makes jet engines (I don't know if they make them for military use or not) commercial airliners (the RR RB211 series for Boeing 747s, 757s, and 767s). Cathay Pacific uses RR Trent 800 and Trent 900 engines on its 777-300s. RR is making the Trent 1000 as an engine contender for the Airbus A-350XWB.

yes they make both military and commercial

Now, back to the engine of the JF-17. Would it make sense to use a fuel- inefficient turbojet engine when a more efficient turbofan engine can be used? No, it really does not make sense. With regards to Western equipment, well, as Asim Aqil said, there will be strings attached, and the supply of that equipment would be liable to be terminated at any point.

plus the wopping extra costs involved as well

I was told that Rolls Royce could make engines to fit any aircraft and they did to it for RAF Phantoms. Rolls Royce has since gone bankrupt and changed hands, are they still manufacturing aircraft engines??

Yes they are. But if you recall the Rolls Royce solutionfor RAF phantoms was a disaster!!:D

Selecting UK engines is the worst option for Pakistan. They are manipulating and are the best in stabbing a dagger in your back. UK is extremely pro India. They have shown their mindset in Egypt/Israel.

Selecting UK engines is the worst option for Pakistan. They are manipulating and are the best in stabbing a dagger in your back. UK is extremely pro India. They have shown their mindset in Egypt/Israel.

We have to get the Russians on board. As it is the Chinese development of the WS-13, the RD-93 replica is well underway. So either the Russians get the money for the Engines or the Chinese will. Losing $ for a small gift to India in the form of a delay hardly makes any sense.

And the Russians ARE thinking along these terms too. Remember the article in Janes Defence? When they were saying that either we sell them or someone else will?

Another thing for Pak is that we want to keep the plane under $15Mn or around that. Snecma is a realistic option considering that France hasn't really resorted to military sanctions on Pakistan in the past. But costs would be an issue.

Btw, which Snecma engine are we looking at? I don't think we should only consider GE if we really want to get the plane in the air quick till the WS-13 comes up. If that's the plan then go American for the time being since they would be able to make quick deliveries.

We have to get the Russians on board. As it is the Chinese development of the WS-13, the RD-93 replica is well underway. So either the Russians get the money for the Engines or the Chinese will. Losing $ for a small gift to India in the form of a delay hardly makes any sense.

And the Russians ARE thinking along these terms too. Remember the article in Janes Defence? When they were saying that either we sell them or someone else will?

Another thing for Pak is that we want to keep the plane under $15Mn or around that. Snecma is a realistic option considering that France hasn't really resorted to military sanctions on Pakistan in the past. But costs would be an issue.

Btw, which Snecma engine are we looking at? I don't think we should only consider GE if we really want to get the plane in the air quick till the WS-13 comes up. If that's the plan then go American for the time being since they would be able to make quick deliveries.

Russia current arrangement with india is worth more than few $$$s.

So the panic setting in, finally.

Everybody was so confident that things will happen so easily and you can take delivery. Russia wont give a chance to India to point figures.

Why cant the Pakistanis wait for the Chineese to develop the WS-13. I sense, you dont trust them to come up with it on time, dont you ?

The Chinese never said they'd come up with it by March. At the very least it should take about 1 to 2 years. It's not panic, but an obvious blow, if all this is true. There has been no confirmation by the Russians, Chinese or the Pakistanis other than that press conference by a guy who was obviously sent to appease Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom