What's new

Russia Agrees to Sell 6 su 30 Fighter Jets to Myanmar

No matter what you people say, Burmese military are far more competent than BD military.

Just because they are buying more advanced hardware does not make them more competent than BD military.

Man for man, BD military would be superior to the Burmese since BD is a more developed country and more is spent per soldier.

Just because they are buying more advanced hardware does not make them more competent than BD military.

Man for man, BD military would be superior to the Burmese since BD is a more developed country and more is spent per soldier.

Whilst that maybe true.... recent performance or rather non performance of the BD military during the rohingya debacle hardly provides any basis to be proud of our forces. They have disgraced the nation and themselves.

Whilst that maybe true.... recent performance or rather non performance of the BD military during the rohingya debacle hardly provides any basis to be proud of our forces. They have disgraced the nation and themselves.

That is not the fault of BD military but the ruling AL party.
BD military is rightly subservient to the civilian government and the last thing BD needs is a military coup.

BD military is rightly subservient to the civilian government and the last thing BD needs is a military coup.

I respect and understand your position, I strictly share your view.

However BD military is sworn to protect the nation from enemy within and without. Given that the current government is illegitimate and long term national interest was at stake, the military needed to step up.

By not doing so they have failed in their duty and BD will suffer for generations. Thus it comes back to The basic question as you why continue to waste funds on an entity that is not up to the job. It is unclear to me what the BD military position is, what is it’s engagement doctrine. What is it’s purpose.

Once BAL falls the next regime must clear out leadership of the forces en masse and start again. BD military in its current state is not fit for purpose.... period.

"BD military is rightly subservient to the civilian government" - that "civilian" govt is not a elected one but subservient to india. That means by extension BD military is subservient to india.

Where does that lead to? BD military in today's political context is a PURE JOKE. Hence, @mb444 has been right all along.

However BD military is sworn to protect the nation from enemy within and without. Given that the current government is illegitimate and long term national interest was at stake, the military needed to step up.

By not doing so they have failed in their duty and BD will suffer for generations. Thus it comes back to The basic question as you why continue to waste funds on an entity that is not up to the job. It is unclear to me what the BD military position is, what is it’s engagement doctrine. What is it’s purpose.

Once BAL falls the next regime must clear out leadership of the forces en masse and start again. BD military in its current state is not fit for purpose.... period.

Is Awami League technically illegitimate?
I say no as the BNP chose not to participate in the elections. If the BNP participated and the vote was rigged then it would be fair to call AL government illegitimate.

I understand where you are coming in regards the inaction as per Rohingya issue, as the sight of what those Barman savages have done to the poor Rohingya, and BD who has been forced to shelter them, has also made my blood boil.

However BD is where it is at. It has two pretty messed up major parties. If the BNP was in power not much different would have happened as they simply do not buy any military hardware. You can see how they cancelled the order for the 8 extra Mig-29s and decommissioned the only modern frigate in the BD Navy when they were last in power during 2002-2007. Will without the equipment would not have deterred the savages next door in 2017

The Rohingya are a burden on BD but they are not overbearingly so since BD has a 250 billion US dollar economy. The economy is growing very well(more than 7% a year for the last two and expected to be so again this year), infrastructure is finally being built at the required pace(yes there is corruption but with BNP we had both corruption and zero infrastructure) and the military is slowly being upgraded(yes it should be faster but the weapons are starting to finally trickle in).

I do not know if the AL will have punished Myanmar if BD military was better equipped but at the least the economy is strong and the groundwork is being laid for a strong military - see the evidence in both the Army and Navy if not the Air-Force. "Forces Goal 2030" will create a vastly more powerful military than Myanmar even if there has been lack of urgency and frankly incompetence till now(see the ridiculous BAF tender for 8+4 heavy MRCA in February last year that was intended to be given only to the Russians - lol as to design a tender for one country). Damn, 12 SU-30SMEs will have allowed BAF with the 8 Mig-29s to match the MAF and the superior BD Army and Navy could have cleaned house in Arakan. The BD military is not actually that far behind Myanmar in order to successfully liberate Rohingya territory as a lot of what Myanmar buys randomly will be useless in a fight with BD.

By middle of next decade we should see BD in a much better position economically and military, that whatever government of the day is in place(hope BD has a new nationalist party in power then), it will have a choice as to what it does to those Barman savages with little damage to BD. The geopolitical scenario should also be more in BD's favour as Turkey should by then be able to supply pretty much any hardware the BD military requires.
End of the day no-one will lift a finger to save those murderers and rapists from the justice they deserve.

Last edited:
They are buying both.
myanmarjf17.jpg
View attachment 449580

What is BD doing to counter this? Don't need rumors. Anything concrete signed lately?

What is BD doing to counter this? Don't need rumors. Anything concrete signed lately?

The tender for 8+4 MRCA issued last year. But Law minister said yesterday in parliament that 1 squadron (complete 16, not 8+4) will be ordered this year.

No we won't...cos we are not touchy twitchy like u guys :D

You guys literally murder people for eating beef.

What did you want the Armed forces to do exactly?

Block innocent people from entering the land so they can die and starve on the other side?

Attack the Burmese on the other side? Something that can lead to diplomatic problems, and can paint us as the 'bad guys'.

The tender for 8+4 MRCA issued last year. But Law minister said yesterday in parliament that 1 squadron (complete 16, not 8+4) will be ordered this year.
i think due to delay of this procurement they will going for 1 sqd.

Heard that they will buy some too. And the new story the 6 fighter they are getting is worth 200 million.

https://frontiermyanmar.net/en/myanmar-to-buy-russian-fighter-jets-in-deal-worth-more-than-200m

Myanmar to buy Russian fighter jets in deal worth more than $200m

Myanmar has agreed to buy six Su-30 fighter jets from Russia in a deal worth at least US$204 million (about K274.7 trillion).

Russia announced the deal on January 22, the last day of a two-day official visit by Defence Minister Mr Sergey Shoigu, whose itinerary included talks in Nay Pyi Taw with Tatmadaw Commander-in-Chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing.

“During the Russian defense minister’s visit an agreement was reached under which Myanmar would purchase six Su-30 planes,” Russia’s state-run TASS newsagency quoted Deputy Defence Minister Lieutenant-General Alexander Fomin as saying.

No figure was given for the sale, but starting prices for an Su-30 are about $34 million.

Fomin said the Su-30 “will become the main fighter aircraft of Myanmar’s air force to protect the country’s territorial integrity and repel any terror threats”.

TASS also quoted Fomin as saying that Russian armaments had proved their capability during operations by the Tatmadaw.

"These are, in particular, the Mi-24, Mi-35 and Mi-17 helicopters, as well as the MiG-29 fighter aircraft, the Yak-130 combat-capable trainer aircraft, the Pechora-2 air defence system and other equipment," the deputy minister said.

Fomin also said more that 600 members of the Tatmadaw were studying at higher military educational institutions in Russia.

“All this helps to tighten security in Southeast Asia and the Pacific Rim in general,” he said.

Shoigu’s visit also included the signing by the two countries of an agreement on streamlined entry for warships to ports in Russia and Myanmar, TASS reported.

https://frontiermyanmar.net/en/myanmar-to-buy-russian-fighter-jets-in-deal-worth-more-than-200m

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom