What's new

Roots across the Border

My father's side - Nawabshah. Mother's - Larkana. Sindh
Mom's uncle stayed back, nobody heard from him after partition.

My father's side - Nawabshah. Mother's - Larkana. Sindh
Mom's uncle stayed back, nobody heard from him after partition.

You must have a surname that ends with ani... Proper Nawabshah or vicinage?

Sindhi achay thee galhainey? Hope your mom's uncle and his family are safe and sound in Larkana.

Pathans in India have lost their contact with Peshawar and Afghanistan long back. if Indian pathan comes to interact with a typical frontier pashtun, it's like two aliens meeting each other! only Shia's in UP seems to preserve their persian heritage and ethnicity better unlike Pasthuns and others. but I hear atleast 50% of northern Indian muslims have foreign(mostly pashtun) ancestory.
Pashtuns or Tajik, but dry fruit, wools merchants once roamed all of India, Bangladesh, Burma, Srilanka before partition. but, this has stopped and I've heard these Kabuliwala's were there 35-40 years back but seems thriving in cities like Calcutta. they have integrated with Indian muslim identity although, they have Deobandi belief(infact Deobandi scholars are 99% Pashtuns?)?
I am very curious to know about persian heritage of shias of UP. Any shia here wants to share any info/pics.

Faisalabad, I guess. Meaning my grandparents are from there. Parents were born elsewhere.

Faisalabad was founded as Lyallpur a bit more than a century ago. Most of the people brought to Lyallpur and surroundings were from Jallundhar. So your roots most likely go back to British India.

I suspect that Faisalabad is the city with greatest number of native Jallundhari Punjabi speakers. Way more than Jallundhar itself.

Hi bro,
I was in chak bamu last week !!
I have some pics which I will post for you when I am back in US as the internet here is not very fast.
U we're right, the village was known as ghora chak before as it was the only village in the area where the inhabitants had horses.
Sadly there is no one in the village who can recollect things predating the partition since the entire village was Muslim and the current inhabitants migrated from Multan and kot addu.
Most of the adjoining villages are also now inhabited by migrants from Multan region.
The only structure dating to pre 47 era is the remnants of the main mosque.
It forms the part of someone's boundary wall now. Oddly enough that persons name was sardar Barkat Singh. As the village expanded most of the old structures were torn down but he tried to preserve that mosque. However after his death most of the old mosque structure was torn down and only a very small portion remained as a part of the boundary wall.
I have pics of those remnants with me.
It is one of the bigger villages in dasuya tehsil.
I did not have enough time otherwise I would have looked up your grandfathers land records in the tehsil office.

Butchcassidy, I do not know how I can express my gratitude. I am in your debt. Sardar Barkat Singh might have known my grand father, Haji Barkat Ali. My grand father was sought by newly arrived refugees and invited him to his village, Chak Bamu, from the refugee camp. My Grand father was very attached to the mosque since he had played major part in its reconstruction.

Chak Bamu was founded by an ancestor of mine, who was Gehlan Jat. During height of Sikh power in Punjab, he converted to Islam and declared himself an Arain (probably married into Arain family). I do not know his name for sure, but it was perhaps Sardar Minga Singh.

At the time of partition the village was not large. It comprised of about 40 families, all descended from one ancestor and related by blood.

Another name for Chak Bamu was Chak GhoRean Da. The people had kept the memory of the warlike ancestor by keeping horses.

You must have a surname that ends with ani... Proper Nawabshah or vicinage?

Sindhi achay thee galhainey? Hope your mom's uncle and his family are safe and sound in Larkana.
yes it does. Not sure if it was proper or vicinage. Asan ji generation sindhi galaindee aa, par dheere dheere ghat je peti. Haane Hindi aun English vadheek popular thee vayee aa. Tahaan b sindhi aayo saain?

There must be others like me whose roots are across the border. That is why I have decided to open a new thread where people like myself can exchange notes about our root-places especially if they are across the border. Mine is "Chak Bamu" in Dasua Mandal, Jallandhar, Indian Punjab.

If anyone remembers my introduction on the forum, or wonders about the meaning of my forum name, they would realize that my ancestral roots are across the border in Indian Punjab; specifically Jallandhar Doab.
Salaams from Lahore

I had an idea to start this thread because @Butchcassidy wished to confirm if I had a connection with Chak Bamu (and indeed I do). But I felt that an Off-Topic conversation was not the right thing to do, and he as yet does not have privileges to use PM function. Therefore the only possible route was to open a thread.

But this thread can mean so much if:

1. One has roots from across the brother and one wishes to talk about it; like myself.

2. Someone could be familiar with such places and might wish to help in bringing such a place to life for another who happens to live across the border; like @Butchcassidy.

3. This helps place a person's background in context while discussing relevant issues.

4. People could just use this thread to socialize.

Now, please please please, pretty pretty please, do NOT make this a troll thread.

If some forum-member has parents / grand parents who have a connection with Lahore, or some place close to it, I can help them find more about it.

Just saw this thread.

Thank you for creating it.

It is refreshing to see posters exchanging information & pleasantries rather than barbs.

Back
Top Bottom