What's new

Roots across the Border

I did not have enough time otherwise I would have looked up your grandfathers land records in the tehsil office.
Most of the land records are online.You wont be able to get records pre-1960's because they undertook hadhbandi during that time.

Butchcassidy, I do not know how I can express my gratitude. I am in your debt. Sardar Barkat Singh might have known my grand father, Haji Barkat Ali. My grand father was sought by newly arrived refugees and invited him to his village, Chak Bamu, from the refugee camp. My Grand father was very attached to the mosque since he had played major part in its reconstruction.

Chak Bamu was founded by an ancestor of mine, who was Gehlan Jat. During height of Sikh power in Punjab, he converted to Islam and declared himself an Arain (probably married into Arain family). I do not know his name for sure, but it was perhaps Sardar Minga Singh.

At the time of partition the village was not large. It comprised of about 40 families, all descended from one ancestor and related by blood.

Another name for Chak Bamu was Chak GhoRean Da. The people had kept the memory of the warlike ancestor by keeping horses.

No problem bro, it was on the way to my village. This how the entrance to chak bamu looks like:
DSC00104.JPG

Below is the pic of the school. Translation for the stuff writen in gurmukhi: "Government Secondary School Chak Bammu"
DSC00102.JPG

The village looks quite affluent judging by the houses:

DSC00101.JPG

DSC00107.JPG

DSC00108.JPG

DSC00109.JPG

DSC00110.JPG

DSC00113.JPG

Some pics of the remnants of the old mosque;
DSC00114.JPG

DSC00115.JPG

More pics of the remnants of the old mosque:
DSC00116.JPG

DSC00117.JPG

This is what the village looks from afar:
DSC00096.JPG

DSC00097.JPG
DSC00098.JPG
DSC00098.JPG

A pic of the mazaar in the adjoining village Gorsian:
DSC00126.JPG

Yeah... Tehsil of district Kapurtala now.
Yes, a part of my grandmothers family migrated to Sultanpur Lodhi from Rajoki, Daska

yes it does. Not sure if it was proper or vicinage. Asan ji generation sindhi galaindee aa, par dheere dheere ghat je peti. Haane Hindi aun English vadheek popular thee vayee aa. Tahaan b sindhi aayo saain?

Tamam suthi galh a ta tahan jee generation Sindhi galahyay thee... Ka ba booli hujay hun khay ghattan na khurjay... Jaiki wannay booli sikhyo, galhayo per pehnji asli booli khay na wesaryo.. Anyway, aoon hin layay pochyan piyo ta aoon paan nawabshah khhan taluq rakhan thho, city is my second home. Na sain ligually aoon Sindhi na ahanyan.

Yes, a part of my grandmothers family migrated to Sultanpur Lodhi from Rajoki, Daska

Are you from Sultanpur Lodhi?

Tamam suthi galh a ta tahan jee generation Sindhi galahyay thee... Ka ba booli hujay hun khay ghattan na khurjay... Jaiki wannay booli sikhyo, galhayo per pehnji asli booli khay na wesaryo.. Anyway, aoon hin layay pochyan piyo ta aoon paan nawabshah khhan taluq rakhan thho, city is my second home. Na sain ligually aoon Sindhi na ahanyan.

Are you from Sultanpur Lodhi?
No I am from Dasuya, but a part of my family used to live in Sultanpur Lodhi

?

Emmie are you proper Sindhi? Nice to see Sindhi, anyother member from Sindh?

No I am from Dasuya, but a part of my family used to live in Sultanpur Lodhi

Bro you are the one who once told me your jatt family which is muslim and they still live in Sialkot?

yes it does. Not sure if it was proper or vicinage. Asan ji generation sindhi galaindee aa, par dheere dheere ghat je peti. Haane Hindi aun English vadheek popular thee vayee aa. Tahaan b sindhi aayo saain?
Sindhi ??? :o:

Baba kira haal ae ??? khush aein ??? :D

Faisalabad was founded as Lyallpur a bit more than a century ago. Most of the people brought to Lyallpur and surroundings were from Jallundhar. So your roots most likely go back to British India.

I suspect that Faisalabad is the city with greatest number of native Jallundhari Punjabi speakers. Way more than Jallundhar itself.
Yup my paternal grandmother from Hoshiarpur. her side of the family is settled in Faisalabad.

Last edited:
What do these UP muslim women look like? They seem to have some central asian ancestry
2270713080854545959_iran-women-voting.jpg
They might be recent settlers from kashmir...to which district/city of u.p they belong to ?

@shan in my opinion pathans of U.P look quite indians with bit lighter skin than others. here are some examples

34-pakmed-net-March-01-2013-medical-education-college-student-y35ke.jpg

Josh+Malihabadi.jpg

Anwar+Nadeem.jpg

Urdu poet and writer Anwar Nadeem (b.1937), an Afridi Pathan from Malihabad
Dr_Zakir_Hussain.jpg

president zakir hussain, afridi from kaimganj

Malihabad.jpg

An Afridi Pathan family of Malihabad, India

rampur_kazim.jpg

rampur nawab family, rohilla yousafzai

220px-General_Akhtar_abdur_rahman.jpg

general akhtar, a rohilla

They might be recent settlers from kashmir...to which district/city of u.p they belong to ?

@shan in my opinion pathans of U.P look quite indians with bit lighter skin than others. here are some examples

Josh+Malihabadi.jpg

Anwar+Nadeem.jpg

Dr_Zakir_Hussain.jpg

Malihabad.jpg

rampur_kazim.jpg

General Akhter look Indian to you? :o He was born in Punjab, Rampur not a Muhajir. They come under pathans of Punjab.

His son

220px-Huak.jpg

Emmie are you proper Sindhi? Nice to see Sindhi, anyother member from Sindh
Bro you are the one who once told me your jatt family which is muslim and they still live in Sialkot?
Yes bro it was me, 5 generations back my grandfathers grandfather became a sikh but his sibling remained muslims. They live in daska tehsil. When my grandfather was still alive he was in touch with.

Josh+Malihabadi.jpg

Anwar+Nadeem.jpg

Dr_Zakir_Hussain.jpg

Malihabad.jpg

rampur_kazim.jpg

Lucknow

Yes bro it was me, 5 generations back my grandfathers grandfather became a sikh but his sibling remained muslims. They live in daska tehsil. When my grandfather was still alive he was in touch with.

I have tagged you in other thread, we had interesting discussion about history. Here it will be off-topic.

Back
Top Bottom