al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
RIYADH: GHAZANFAR ALI KHAN

Published — Friday 21 February 2014

Last update 21 February 2014 1:03 am

Saudi Arabia and Indonesia have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on the recruitment of domestic workers, a landmark pact that will guarantee protection to domestic workers, including maids deployed in the Kingdom.
“On behalf of the Kingdom, Minister of Labor Adel Fakeih inked the MoU here on Wednesday,” confirmed Ahmed F. Al-Fahaid, deputy minister for international affairs, while speaking to Arab News on Thursday.
“Indonesia’s Manpower and Transmigration Minister Muhaimin Iskandar signed the MoU representing Indonesia,” said Al-Fahaid. A joint panel will now discuss how to work out “a plan to start recruiting domestic workers from that country and provide added protection, as well as incentives within the framework of the MoU already endorsed,” said Al-Fahaid.
The agreement also commits Indonesian authorities to ensuring that prospective maids or domestic workers have had medical check-ups and have not been involved in crime.
Al-Fahaid said the accord did not cover pay rises or fees, but that he was “committed to offering more options to Saudis…to access more countries deploying domestic aides to prevent a price hike in the labor market.”
The new pact guarantees every worker one day off a week, leave entitlement and health insurance, besides accessibility in terms of communication, said Indonesian Minister Iskandar, while speaking about the labor pact. He said the MoU guaranteed that Indonesian workers “would have salaries paid via banks, would have online access to a work contract and would be able to contact a 24-hour call center if in need of help or repatriation.”
He said: “The agreement was a milestone in the placement and protection of overseas workers…and domestic workers will no longer be deprived of their passports nor prevented from communicating with the outside world.”
Indonesia has been pushing for guarantees for the last four years following allegations of overwork, nonpayment of wages, torture and sexual abuse of its workers.
According to a report published by the Jakarta-based National Placement and Protection of Overseas Workers Agency, Saudi Arabia is home to about 1.2 million documented Indonesians, mainly maids.
Indonesia had previously imposed a moratorium on the placement of migrant workers in the Kingdom effective Aug. 1, 2011, until an MoU on the protection of migrant workers was signed.
Indonesia comes next in line with India, the Philippines and Sri Lanka to sign this MoU with Saudi Arabia. Last July, the Saudi Cabinet passed a new regulation governing the treatment of the 1.5 million migrant domestic workers in the Kingdom. The regulation offers certain basic protections, such as requiring a daily break, prompt salary payment at the end of each month, sick leave, and a month-long paid vacation every two years. It also prohibits sponsors from assigning work harmful to the workers’ health.

Riyadh, Jakarta sign long-awaited labor pact | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Good news from to brotherly states with ancient religious, cultural, ancestral and linguistic ties.

@Wahhab2701 @IndoUS etc.

Are those considered minimum wage jobs? or are live-in maids paid well?

KSA, Indonesia to sign labor agreement today

34dhfuq.jpg

RIYADH: ARAB NEWS

Published — Wednesday 19 February 2014

Last update 19 February 2014 3:38 am

The Kingdom and Indonesia are expected to sign a labor agreement on Wednesday to recruit housemaids from Indonesia.
The agreement will be the fourth in a series of similar deals signed earlier with the Philippines, India and Sri Lanka, Ahmed Al-Fihaid, ministry’s undersecretary for international affairs, told Al-Eqtisadiyah daily.
He pointed out that four countries cover around 70 percent of the Kingdom’s market for housemaids, while the remaining 30 percent of the labor force is supplied from other Asian and African countries.
Al-Fihaid said the salaries of Indonesian housemaids are governed by supply and demand mechanisms, adding that these labor agreements aim to regularize the recruitment of quality manpower in an efficient manner. The Ministry of Labor is negotiating labor agreements with a number of manpower exporting countries in a bid to safeguard the rights of all parties, he said.
Three years ago, the Labor Ministry suspended the recruitment of Indonesian housemaids due to the insistence of the latter’s government on imposing a number of terms and conditions which were, according to the ministry an infringement on the privacy of Saudi citizens.
The Indonesian side reportedly requested information about the Saudi families employing Indonesian help, including the number of family members, monthly income and the house chores.
The Indonesian government is negotiating with the Ministry of Labor with the aim to raise the salaries of Indonesian housemaids.
Jakarta wants to match wages earned by Filipino workers, who receive salaries ranging between SR1,200-1,500.

KSA, Indonesia to sign labor agreement today | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

That's about 400 dollars monthly. I have no idea how much the average maid gets for similar jobs back in India, Sri Lanka or Indonesia but my humble guess would be at least 5 times less. Some families are giving them a higher salary. It all depends. But they get a minimal wage around that region.

I don't know that actually.

Last edited:
What is well paid? Employers were suppose to follow the rules but few individuals were violating employment rules. being women they were at risk of exploitation, more than male counterparts.
Hopefully, after the said contract, maid employment would be better regulated.

What is well paid? Employers were suppose to follow the rules but few individuals were violating employment rules. being women they were at risk of exploitation, more than male counterparts.

Yes, some employers were breaching the rules and giving a bad name to the country and people. Overall by far most maids etc. are very happy. Likewise all the other foreign workers. When I was younger we had a Turkish maid/nanny (this was before year 2000). So last century, LOL.

But as always those issues can get better so ensuring that is a very good thing. The maid's and foreign workers should feel at home and harsh penalties should and are implemented on those that violate the rules when caught.

Last edited:

Well these service type jobs are usually minimum wage - although a live-in nanny type usually is paid better.

$400 dollars I would imagine is a good wage for an Indonesian. I think their minimum wage is something like $1,500 annually!

Exploitation is a big worry. Happens everywhere. Especially when it's cash in hand.

Well these service type jobs are usually minimum wage - although a live-in nanny type usually is paid better.

$400 dollars I would imagine is a good wage for an Indonesian. I think their minimum wage is something like $1,500 annually!

Exploitation is a big worry. Happens everywhere. Especially when it's cash in hand.

I think, those maids got paid between 1000 - 1500 SAR / month plus air-ticket, in metropolitan cities.
I do not know the conditions in small cities.
At the same time (so called free) men are not any better off, but they have worst affairs back home!

Well, don't forget that the GDP per capita is higher in Indonesia than the one found in India and the Philippines. Sri Lanka is the most wealthy of those 4 countries.

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, those jobs are even low-pay jobs in Europe. Mostly elder women or very young women tend to be maids/nannies. At least from what I know about this field.

The problem is exploration indeed and it should be fully fixed although it will be hard. We always hear about those 10-15 cases a year or so that make the headlines among a few millions foreign workers but never about those people who are happy or relatively happy and who do not face problems. Which is about 90% of the workers.

I mean our Turkish nanny slept under our roof, ate with us, travelled with us when necessary etc. She only had to clean the house and take care of me and my younger siblings when my parents were away or when my elder siblings were not home. Do the food as well. For that she got a much higher salary than she would have got in Turkey at that time. And probably still today. Let me add that she was in her early 20's. So for her it was good business. Only staying for 1 year and 1/5 of the time she was back home for holidays/visits.

Of course there is always Europe but there the visa rules are harsher and the salaries might be higher (but not much) for such kind of work but at the other hand it is more expensive to live in Europe. Most of that work is done as unreported employment. Meaning no tax and thus lesser payment. Not to mention the taxes. No taxes in KSA.

Also many of those people have had families/relatives who have worked in KSA etc. The culture of the ME is also more similar to their own than that of Europe especially if they come from a Muslim background as many do. It is also closer to their home countries so the tickets/visits back home are not as costly had they been located in the UK for instance or the US.

Anyway it is all about supply and demand.

Last edited:
Well, don't forget that the GDP per capita is higher in Indonesia than the one found in India and the Philippines. Sri Lanka is the most wealthy of those 4 countries.

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, those jobs are even low-pay jobs in Europe. Mostly elder women or very young women tend to be maids/nannies. At least from what I know about this field.

The problem is exploration indeed and it should be fully fixed although it will be hard. We always hear about those 10-15 cases a year or so that make the headlines among a few millions foreign workers but never about those people who are happy or relatively happy and who do not face problems. Which is about 90% of the workers.

I mean our Turkish nanny slept under our roof, ate with us, travelled with us when necessary etc. She only had to clean the house and take care of me and my younger siblings when my parents were away or when my elder siblings were not home. Do the food as well. For that she got a much higher salary than she would have got in Turkey at that time. And probably still today. Let me add that she was in her early 20's. So for her it was good business. Only staying for 1 year and 1/5 of the time she was back home for holidays/visits.

Of course there is always Europe but there the visa rules are harsher and the salaries might be higher (but not much) for such kind of work but at the other hand it is more expensive to live in Europe. Most of that work is done as unreported employment. Meaning no tax and thus lesser payment. Not to mention the taxes. No taxes in KSA.

Also many of those people have had families/relatives who have worked in KSA etc. The culture of the ME is also more similar to their own than that of Europe especially if they come from a Muslim background as many do. It is also closer to their home countries so the tickets/visits back home are not as costly had they been located in the UK for instance or the US.

Anyway it is all about supply and demand.

I will give you some secret Friend about something behind our domestic worker.....

Mostly our domestic worker come from Javanese ethnic......There are two kind of Javanese people actually, high ranking one and the less rank. The high rank has some link to the old Kingdom or has a good economy for generations. The high ranking one suppresses the lower rank one by creating two different languages....there are two kind of Javanese language. The higher Javanese class uses higher language...and the lower rank Javanese cannot use it. It is like a caste in Hindu. Sumatra people I believe treat their Javanese maid much better than the way high rank Javanese treat them, they seem need too much respect from their own lower rank Javanese.....This kind of environment makes the lower class Javanese family has some inferiority complex for generations....and many of them become poor because this mentality make them not to dream high....Even until now, many young Javanese only graduate from elementary or junior high school. They are actually a victim of their own society. High rank Javanese people are soft and very polite but also has huge dignity, so we have to be careful with them when we treat them...especially the old generation. The lower class are actually a victim, and I think we have to cure that sick mentality by respecting them..... And by setting better salary, it is a good move

And as many ethnic emerges into Indonesia since 1945...and we start to use Malay ethnic language (Malay language is our old trading language)....this kind of inferiority I think will get cured progressively ....but still not very improving in the poor Javanese Village where its actually a source of our domestic and building labour

Last edited:
RIYADH: GHAZANFAR ALI KHAN

Published — Friday 21 February 2014

Last update 21 February 2014 1:03 am

Saudi Arabia and Indonesia have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) on the recruitment of domestic workers, a landmark pact that will guarantee protection to domestic workers, including maids deployed in the Kingdom.
“On behalf of the Kingdom, Minister of Labor Adel Fakeih inked the MoU here on Wednesday,” confirmed Ahmed F. Al-Fahaid, deputy minister for international affairs, while speaking to Arab News on Thursday.
“Indonesia’s Manpower and Transmigration Minister Muhaimin Iskandar signed the MoU representing Indonesia,” said Al-Fahaid. A joint panel will now discuss how to work out “a plan to start recruiting domestic workers from that country and provide added protection, as well as incentives within the framework of the MoU already endorsed,” said Al-Fahaid.
The agreement also commits Indonesian authorities to ensuring that prospective maids or domestic workers have had medical check-ups and have not been involved in crime.
Al-Fahaid said the accord did not cover pay rises or fees, but that he was “committed to offering more options to Saudis…to access more countries deploying domestic aides to prevent a price hike in the labor market.”
The new pact guarantees every worker one day off a week, leave entitlement and health insurance, besides accessibility in terms of communication, said Indonesian Minister Iskandar, while speaking about the labor pact. He said the MoU guaranteed that Indonesian workers “would have salaries paid via banks, would have online access to a work contract and would be able to contact a 24-hour call center if in need of help or repatriation.”
He said: “The agreement was a milestone in the placement and protection of overseas workers…and domestic workers will no longer be deprived of their passports nor prevented from communicating with the outside world.”
Indonesia has been pushing for guarantees for the last four years following allegations of overwork, nonpayment of wages, torture and sexual abuse of its workers.
According to a report published by the Jakarta-based National Placement and Protection of Overseas Workers Agency, Saudi Arabia is home to about 1.2 million documented Indonesians, mainly maids.
Indonesia had previously imposed a moratorium on the placement of migrant workers in the Kingdom effective Aug. 1, 2011, until an MoU on the protection of migrant workers was signed.
Indonesia comes next in line with India, the Philippines and Sri Lanka to sign this MoU with Saudi Arabia. Last July, the Saudi Cabinet passed a new regulation governing the treatment of the 1.5 million migrant domestic workers in the Kingdom. The regulation offers certain basic protections, such as requiring a daily break, prompt salary payment at the end of each month, sick leave, and a month-long paid vacation every two years. It also prohibits sponsors from assigning work harmful to the workers’ health.

Riyadh, Jakarta sign long-awaited labor pact | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Good news from to brotherly states with ancient religious, cultural, ancestral and linguistic ties.

@Wahhab2701 @IndoUS etc.
I am happy to hear this news. I am not a big fan of sending our women (unskilled and low educated) to be migrant workers but until we can provide them with a better choice nothing we can do about it. I am not sure what is the wage of indonesian maids in KSA, but seeing them return home with significant amount of money (by indonesian standard) and jewelry-hope they gained them legally- their wage must be 4-5 times better than their wages in Indonesia. Average salary for domestic maid in Jakarta is 100-150 US$ per month AFAIK. It could less in the smaller cities.

Back
Top Bottom