What's new

Saudi to turn to India, Sri Lanka for housemaids

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Saudi to turn to India, Sri Lanka for housemaids - Emirates 24/7

Saudi Arabia is considering turning to India and Sri Lanka to meet soaring local demand for domestic workers following labour disputes with the Philippines and Indonesia and a decision to suspend hiring maids from Ethiopia.

Indonesia and the Philippines, among the largest maid supplier to the Middle East, have temporarily halted the travel of their domestic workers to Saudi Arabia following disputes over payment, mistreatment of maids by employers and other issues.

Several rounds of negotiations have so far failed to break the deadlock despite concessions by the Gulf Kingdom, including higher salaries for maids.

Saudi Arabia, the largest Arab economy and the world’s top oil exporter, banned the recruitment of Ethiopian housemaids last month following a series of deadly attacks by those maids on their employers.

One maid who killed a little Syrian girl told police she had committed the crime because she “was told so by an occult power.”

“There is a shortage of around 30 per cent in the supply of foreign domestic workers to Saudi Arabia because of the suspension of the recruitment of housemaids from Ethiopia and other countries,” said Mutlaq Al Hazmi, a member of the expatriate labour hiring committee at the Jeddah chamber of commerce and industry.

“There are plans to open the door for hiring domestic workers from India and Sri Lanka. I believe that this will make hiring maids from Indonesia unnecessary,” he was quoted as saying by Saudi newspapers on Wednesday.

Nearly two million housemaids from Asia and Africa work in Saudi Arabia, the largest base for expatriate domestic workers in the Middle East.

@third eye , is this something to be proud of ?

Why not? You are doing a good job for a big pay compared to Indian standards. Better for those people than to live in poverty back home in India. Most are simple people like most people in India. They don't have many other options.

Don't forget that Saudi Arabia is a G20 economy and the richest Middle Eastern and Arab country. Life is good. I had a Turkish nanny for a time since we are a big family and my father was busy working for Saudi Aramco and abroad.

She had worked in Europe in low paying jobs and said herself that this was the best time of her life both in terms of pay and actual work. Better than working in a toxic factory for 15 hours a day in Bangalore for a few dollars a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? You are doing a good job for a big pay compared to Indian standards. Better for those people than to live in poverty back home in India. Most are simple people like most people in India. They don't have many other options.

Don't forget that Saudi Arabia is a G20 economy and the richest Middle Eastern and Arab country. Life is good. I had a Turkish nanny for a time since we are a big family and my father was busy working for Saudi Aramco and abroad.

She had worked in Europe in low paying jobs and said herself that this was the best time of her life both in terms of pay and actual work. Better than working in a toxic factory for 15 hours a day in Bangalore for a few dollars a day.
may be better than a toxic factory ...and saudis might pay more.. but something goes wrong, and you will instantly be in wrong side of law.
In europe, your rights are protected, in India she will have her family to support her, what will she do in saudi.

The Filipinos have stayed in Israel. They are now going more and more into nursing rather than just cleaning or being maids.

I think the new African migrants will probably take over those duties.

A growing Chinese community in Israel too - they tend to be more business orientated and more Chinese restaurants have sprung up.

They have not been warned about coming to Israel. We look after them :yahoo:

Are you suggesting I am proud of this ?

It was a question , not a suggestion.

You didn't get my point . The point is that they should not have to look abroad for such menial jobs. If India had enough jobs and enough well paying jobs , we would not have to send people to do such menial jobs abroad. For this reason , this is nothing to be proud of.

We take pride in how we supply doctors , engineers and entrepreneurs to the world , but not maids.

Saudi delegation visited few times regarding BD housemaids.
Those were the conditions that were put forward to the delegation by BD authorities.

1) Weekly holiday.
2) Mobile phone access - Right to keep mobile phone.
3) Consular access to the maid 24/7.
4) Job contract.
5) Minimum pay.

Seems like Saudi employers were not interested to meet the condition. But they want maid.

Thanks

Saudi to turn to India, Sri Lanka for housemaids - Emirates 24/7

Saudi Arabia is considering turning to India and Sri Lanka to meet soaring local demand for domestic workers following labour disputes with the Philippines and Indonesia and a decision to suspend hiring maids from Ethiopia.

Indonesia and the Philippines, among the largest maid supplier to the Middle East, have temporarily halted the travel of their domestic workers to Saudi Arabia following disputes over payment, mistreatment of maids by employers and other issues.

Several rounds of negotiations have so far failed to break the deadlock despite concessions by the Gulf Kingdom, including higher salaries for maids.

Saudi Arabia, the largest Arab economy and the world’s top oil exporter, banned the recruitment of Ethiopian housemaids last month following a series of deadly attacks by those maids on their employers.

One maid who killed a little Syrian girl told police she had committed the crime because she “was told so by an occult power.”

“There is a shortage of around 30 per cent in the supply of foreign domestic workers to Saudi Arabia because of the suspension of the recruitment of housemaids from Ethiopia and other countries,” said Mutlaq Al Hazmi, a member of the expatriate labour hiring committee at the Jeddah chamber of commerce and industry.

“There are plans to open the door for hiring domestic workers from India and Sri Lanka. I believe that this will make hiring maids from Indonesia unnecessary,” he was quoted as saying by Saudi newspapers on Wednesday.

Nearly two million housemaids from Asia and Africa work in Saudi Arabia, the largest base for expatriate domestic workers in the Middle East.

In fact Sri Lanka and India should support Indonesia and Philipines in this and negotiate better wages and better laws to protect their workers.

I think government should negotiate with Saudi regarding the welfare of the maids.. There are plenty of news about torture and mistreatment came out.. I am not saying all Saudis are bad, but there are lot of complaints.. We should make sure that our maids shouldnt be treated as slaves.

may be better than a toxic factory ...and saudis might pay more.. but something goes wrong, and you will instantly be in wrong side of law.
In europe, your rights are protected, in India she will have her family to support her, what will she do in saudi.

Eh, most don't have any problems. Only a TINY minority which is made into a GIANT history each time it occurs (1-2 times a year). I mean when it reaches the news.

Eh, no. People are treated the same way. Not long ago two Saudis were executed for crimes committed against workers. Likewise many workers have been sentenced for committing crimes against the locals.

It was a question , not a suggestion.

You didn't get my point . The point is that they should not have to look abroad for such menial jobs. If India had enough jobs and enough well paying jobs , we would not have to send people to do such menial jobs abroad. For this reason , this is nothing to be proud of.

We take pride in how we supply doctors , engineers and entrepreneurs to the world , but not maids.

That is a completely different discussion. If there were no poor in India and no need for immigration (we know that HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of Indians live in poverty) then such discussions would indeed be pointless.

People go to places where they can improve their lives. It's called immigration.

Eh, not everyone can become a doctor, engineer or entrepreneur. Those only form a TINY percentage of any society, the Indian included.

Millions of Indians don't even have a computer. Just think about it for a second. We who participate on this forum are all doing very well compared to such people.

Honestly speaking we Saudi Arabians or Arabs don't need to invite people over here to work. People flog in masses themselves. That is the reality. Been going one since the late 1960's. Besides they contribute to the society.

You are more disgusting than the poor women who probably no access toilet facility nearby....

Due to people like you majority of forum considers arabs as racist.....

No you guys are disgusting, she works as a maid < not anymore I guess. She definitely had access to bathroom but she decided to **** the food with her special sauce. Why in the kitchen, she could have done elsewhere, at the yard may be.

Back
Top Bottom