What's new

Revoke the notorious Blasphemy Law

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know I'm not in Pakistan at the moment?

Your flags tell me otherwise. Anyways, if you ARE currently in Pakistan, then try to change something rather than cry about it on the internet.

Internet won't help you.

Well that would be ideal, but unfortunately there is no civil society in Pakistan left and we're living in Zia-ul-Haq's Pakistan.

Yup- blame it on dead person- and yourself do nothing- after a while again blame it on dead person and do nothing-

Excluding your self from Pakistani society not gonna change any thing buddy-

You know what i expected and what you wrote made me think-
Why you have not blamed it on wahabi Saudi Arabia- Maybe some posts later- isn't it?

Zardari has zero support among masses but he is still president.
Laws, ministers and Presidents are made by MNA's not by public.

Zardari is a president because his party won the election.

Yup- blame it on dead person- and yourself do nothing- after a while again blame it on dead person and do nothing-

Excluding your self from Pakistani society not gonna change any thing buddy-

You know what i expected and what you wrote made me think-
Why you have not blamed it on wahabi Saudi Arabia- Maybe some posts later- isn't it?

My bad, I shouldn't have insulted your idol zia.

Anyways when theres a chance of me being massacred by some mullah, why should I take that risk? I was in Pakistan a couple of weeks and honestly after seeing the mentality of people and what happened today I do not care anymore

But I am Pakistani so I still have a right to comment on whats going on and give my opinion.

I was just commenting on how there is no society left in Pakistan, just a bunch of animals.

Why haven't I blamed it on wahabi Saudi Arabia? Because Pakistan is just as bad as wahabi Saudi Arabia or even worse

My bad, I shouldn't have insulted your idol zia.

Anyways when theres a chance of me being massacred by some mullah, why should I take that risk? I was in Pakistan a couple of weeks and honestly after seeing the mentality of people and what happened today I do not care anymore

But I am Pakistani so I still have a right to comment on whats going on and give my opinion.

I was just commenting on how there is no society left in Pakistan, just a bunch of animals.

Why haven't I blamed it on wahabi Saudi Arabia? Because Pakistan is just as bad as wahabi Saudi Arabia or even worse

Since you've just been to Pakistan, can you share with us your account of the current situation which you found so depressing?

Zardari is a president because his party won the election.

the reason PPP won the election was because of the death of Benazir Bhotto, otherwise PPP had no chance

that's why some people blame Zardari for her death

Even if we Revoke the Blasphemy Law, its wont bring any change except for more target killing of our politicians ( IMO one of the reason they are not revoking the Laws)

Bring all the forces and people together and finish all talibans, that's the only solution

whatever the reason, it was people of pakistan who voted ppp in. the ppp didnt force their way in.

I dont think Zardari was in PPP, he made his way in after BB's assassination, and also it was our fault and we admit it

Keeping in view majority of Indians still support and praise Godse and likes of killers of Mahatma Gandhi you guys also lack the characteristics which you have mentioned

So the bottom line is you are no better than us.

Youre joking right? Do you even know what majority means? You amuse me every day jana. :D
There are a few saffron parties who support godse. But gandhi is praised like a god here. So before posting BS jana, go take a cold shower

2 March 2011 Last updated at 17:30 GMT
Q&A: Pakistan's controversial blasphemy laws

_51493583_011424783-1.jpg

There are few politicians prepared to speak out against the blasphemy laws

The shooting to death of Pakistani Minorities Minister Shahbaz Bhatti has once again raised questions about the country's controversial blasphemy laws. Mr Bhatti - a Christian - was one of the country's diminishing number of influential liberals prepared to speak out against the laws. They carry the death sentence for anyone who insults Islam, and critics say they have been used to persecute minority faiths.

Why are Pakistan's blasphemy laws in the news?

The laws have been contentious since the formation of Pakistan in 1947, but have been especially in the spotlight since a Christian mother-of-five, Asia Bibi, was sentenced to death in November 2010 for insulting the Prophet Muhammad. The following January Punjab Governor Salman Taseer - a prominent critic of the law - was assassinated by his bodyguard. The assassination divided Pakistan, with many hailing his killer as a hero. In March 2011 Religious Minorities Minister Shahbaz Bhatti was shot dead in Islamabad.

When do the laws date from?

The offences relating to religion were first codified by India's British rulers in 1860, and were expanded in 1927. Pakistan inherited these laws after the partition of India in 1947. Between 1980-86, a number of clauses were added to the laws by the military government of General Zia-ul Haq. He wanted to "Islamise" them and also legally to separate the Ahmadi community, declared non-Muslim in 1973, from the main body of Muslim population.

_51493585_011424205-1.jpg

Christians have often fallen foul of the blasphemy laws

What do the laws say?

The law enacted by the British was general in nature, prescribing punishments for intentionally destroying or defiling a place or an object of worship or disturbing a religious assembly. They also make it unlawful to trespass on burial grounds or insult religious beliefs through the spoken or written word or by innuendo or visible representation. The maximum punishment under these laws ranges from one year to 10 years in jail, with or without fine. Beginning in 1980, a slew of clauses was added to the chapter of religious offences in the Pakistan Penal Code. These clauses can be grouped into two categories - the anti-Ahmadi laws and the blasphemy laws. The anti-Ahmadi laws were included in 1984. They bar the Ahmadis from calling themselves or behaving as Muslims, preaching their faith and using Islamic terms for their places of worship and religious rituals. The blasphemy laws were created and expanded in several instalments. In 1980, a clause was added to the law, making derogatory remarks against Islamic personages an offence, carrying a maximum punishment of three years in jail. In 1982, another clause prescribed life imprisonment for "wilful" desecration of the Koran, the Muslim holy book. In 1986, a separate clause was inserted to punish blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad and the penalty recommended was "death, or imprisonment for life", in that order.

Who is affected by the laws?

The Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HCRP) - which is a voluntary organisation, has been documenting blasphemy cases. It says that Muslims constitute a majority of those booked under these laws, followed by the Ahmadi community. According to HRCP, around 1,000 cases have been lodged for desecration of the Koran, while nearly 50 cases have been lodged for blasphemy against the Prophet Muhammad. Lower courts have handed down hundreds of convictions in these cases, but nearly all of them have been reversed by the higher courts due to lack of evidence, faults in due process or obvious wrongful motives on the part of the complainants. Hundreds of Christians are among the accused - at least 12 of them were given the death sentence for blaspheming against the Prophet.

Are they fairly applied?

At the level of the lower judiciary, there is often considerable pressure on the judges to order convictions, especially in offences related to Ahmadis and blasphemy. But most decisions fail the test of the law at the higher judicial level, where offenders are often acquitted. One reason is that organised religious groups are able to influence lower judges more easily than judges of the higher courts, though their influence is growing. Second, rights groups say most cases are motivated by local rivalries which are more easily exposed by the higher judiciary than the lower courts. Legal experts say convictions under the law regulating blasphemy against the Prophet are easier because it does not establish a link between an offence and the intention, so that even an unintentional act can also be treated as a wilful offence.

Do most Pakistanis support the laws?

A large majority of Pakistani people support the idea that blasphemers should be punished, but there is little understanding of what the religious scripture says as opposed to how the modern-day law is codified. The response to recent events suggests that they largely believe the law, as codified by the military regime of General Zia-ul Haq back in the 1980s, is in fact straight out of the Koran and therefore is not man-made. The organised religious groups are promoting this view and have been able to mobilise mass support in their favour. Their highest point came when the assassin of Governor Salman Taseer was hailed as a hero by a large section of people across the country.

_51493587_011421325-1.jpg

Militants have made it clear that anyone challenging the blasphemy law is a target

Why do the authorities appear reluctant to amend them?

Amending the blasphemy laws has been on the agenda of nearly all the popular parties of the country. The previous regime of General Pervez Musharraf even introduced some legislation to protect women's rights. Last year, a woman member of the ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP), Sherry Rehman, introduced a private bill to amend the blasphemy law. The bill sought to change procedures of religious offences in such a way that these offences would be reported to a higher police official rather than the usual police station chief. In addition the cases would be heard directly by the higher courts instead of going through the local courts first. The bill was passed on to a parliamentary committee for vetting. It has now been withdrawn under pressure from religious forces as well as some opposition political groups. Given the growing religious conservatism of the people, the government fears that if it approaches the issue pragmatically, it may lose public support.

The matter of fact is that Blasphemy law is protecting People. People are trailed in the court and proper justice is provided by the free judiciary.
Before this law , people (having allegations) were killed at the spot.
Secondly , this law was introduced by Z A Bhutto.
Mr. Zia only injected the law into the constitution.
Thanks

Youre joking right? Do you even know what majority means? You amuse me every day jana. :D
There are a few saffron parties who support godse. But gandhi is praised like a god here. So before posting BS jana, go take a cold shower

yeh the majority means the Indian trolling gang here who are so much pissed off on their own issues that they love to play a denial mode trolling run.

Since you've just been to Pakistan, can you share with us your account of the current situation which you found so depressing?

So your point is that if people are unable to do anything, they cannot even discuss the evils of society!! What are you doing in a internet forums? Haven't you discussed any issues? What are you doing YOURSELF to get those issues resolve..

Plz stop issuing sermons like a high god.. and derail the discussions. This is a internet forum and meant for discussion... not for showing what one is doing to prevent corruption, castism, religeous fundamentals, in general the evils of the society..

My god.. talk about imcompasion and arrogance..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom