What's new

Ramzan food in India seeing an Arab Spring

pattar-iyer???,,vadama-iyengar???
in Kerala we usually call 'Tamil speaking brahmins'(both iyer and iyengars) as 'pattar'......tulu speaking brahmins as potty(though many shifted their mother tongue to Malayalam)....
dakshinamoorthy was a famous carnatic musician from Kerala..

pattar is an iyer priest or gurukkal,i have hardly heard of iyengars in kerala,not even one.

tulu brahmins are pottis for us also,generally there are some potti cooks.

vadama means iyer only,vadama converts to vaishnavism are called vadakalai but not all vadakalai are vadama.

Hyderabadi-Haleem.jpg

I am having Hyderabadi Haleem these days. @al-Hasani I heard Haleem have Arab origin, do you have any similar dish made from mashed meat and lentils.

pattar is an iyer priest or gurukkal,i have hardly heard of iyengars in kerala,not even one.

vadama means iyer only,vadama converts to vaishnavism are called vadakalai but not all vadakalai are vadama.
Pattar is a general term for Tamil Brahmins, in Kerala. In ancient Kerala, Iyers are considered not qualified to even enter the kitchen of a Namboodiri Brahmin(Actually, I read like this only. Pattarkku Namboodiri manayude Adukkala bhagathu polum praveshanam illa). Brahmins in Kerala Namboodiri>Tulu> Iyer .

Pattar is a general term for Tamil Brahmins, in Kerala. In ancient Kerala, Iyers are considered not qualified to even enter the kitchen of a Namboodiri Brahmin(Actually, I read like this only. Pattarkku Namboodiri manayude Adukkala bhagathu polum praveshanam illa). Brahmins in Kerala Namboodiri>Tulu> Iyer .

you have that wrong actually.

it goes like tis

Me> My pet> Namboodiri>Tulu>Iyer :D

Can you show me the original Persian variety.

Hmm...the persian restaurant I used to eat at used to make a variety known as Halim Bademjan(Haleem with eggplants).......if you're looking for recipes and all you can search google or youtube.

Hmm...the persian restaurant I used to eat at used to make a variety known as Halim Bademjan(Haleem with eggplants).......if you're looking for recipes and all you can search google or youtube.

Halim Bademjan looks nowhere close to Haleem. Real haleem we eat is paste of meat, lentils, wheat and masala cooked for 8 hours in a big pot. Roasted onion , mint leaves and spicy shorba are added while serving. I don't find Halim Bademjan anywhere close to it.

Halim Bademjan looks nowhere close to Haleem. Real haleem we eat is paste of meat, lentils, wheat and masala cooked for 8 hours in a big pot. Roasted onion , mint leaves and spicy shorba are added while serving. I don't find Halim Bademjan anywhere close to it.

South Asian variation of Haleem is much different than the Iranian one...also much tastier. The normal Haleem in Iran is more on the sweet or salty side.

South Asian variation of Haleem is much different than the Iranian one...also much tastier. The normal Haleem in Iran is more on the sweet or salty side.

Handhrami Arabs of Yemen introduced it in India from Arabian dish called Harees. @al-Hasani why you call them as Handhrami Arabs, how are they different from other Yemenis.

Kerala la tamil pesira brahminar la athigamum iyers thaan...palakkad town la avanga thaan jaasthi...trivandrum city la iyengars koncham per irukaraangnu kelvipattirukken..

I heard you can't taste the actual main ingredients of some dishes from sub-continent because of extreme spice, is that true ? :)

tastes the same, does not matter what is inside, gobi, fish, chicken, mutton.
fish/chicken/mutton thinthira neevu??beef thindare dodda paapa ..chicken/fish thindare paravaagilla..olle vishaya..
you want every one to scrap their beef eating habits,just because it hurts your regional sentiments(i don't use religional because beef eating is acceptable in Kerala/Tamilnadu hindus and unlike others we don't worship cows)..but killing/eating goat is not a problem for you..are they less creature than cows anyway??..both eats grass and gives milk..

fish/chicken/mutton thinthira neevu??beef thindare dodda paapa ..chicken/fish thindare paravaagilla..olle vishaya..
you want every one to scrap their beef eating habits,just because it hurts your regional sentiments(i don't use religional because beef eating is acceptable in Kerala/Tamilnadu hindus and unlike others we don't worship cows)..but killing/eating goat is not a problem for you..are they less creature than cows anyway??..both eats grass and gives milk..

This argument has been made before in another thread, UPA's Pink Revolution. No creature is less or more important intrinsically of its own. Hinduism defines all of it as god. So your Christian theory of inferior and superior is not the question. What we are looking at is the utility of the said creature to Human development and also a culture of gratitude which defines Indian culture and Hinduism. You may go through more detailed discussion on this topic here - UPA's Pink Revolution Makes India World's Biggest Beef Exporter | Page 6

Back
Top Bottom