What's new

Ramzan food in India seeing an Arab Spring

I always have a big piece of green chili while eating shawarma, I like its creamy taste but no masala.

h9B449B8F

Well all I wrote is correct so I doubt that any controversy can arise due to that reason and if it does I am here to solve such a "problem".;)

In Yemen and Hijaz shawarma/falafel is often eaten with something called Skhug. A hot sauce originating from Yemen and now adopted by the Jewish diaspora in Israel and elsewhere in the Middle East. Often served with hummus too.

Skhug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is also used on Hijazi pizzas etc.;)

Those two videos might interest you as well:

A fusion of Arab and Indian/Pakistani/South Asian cuisine (despite its similarities) is something truly magnificent and I already see such a fusion happening in the GCC due to the big South Asian diaspora. Many new exciting dishes have arisen in the past decades due to that reason.

It could become a real commercial success.

The mention of haleem has had me drooling....really it's one of my favourite dishes lol

@INDIC
Hyderabadi haleem

This how Haleem in Pakistan looks like...very similar.

1024px-Pakistani_Haleem_served_with_garnish.jpg

:cheers:

Always remember the citrons.

Last edited:
@INDIC

How true is it that Indian cuisine by large is not based on meat due to religious rules in Hinduism? Was that always the case? Because I have read that Northern Indian cuisine is more meat based than the Southern Indian cuisine.

What about seafood in Indian cuisine? I have not heard much about that?! That's more popular in Bengal and Bangladesh.

Lastly do you have a dish similar to Kabsa and Mandi other than Biryani?

The last video is the dish "Mandi".

Last edited:
A fusion of Arab and Indian/Pakistani/South Asian cuisine (despite its similarities) is something truly magnificent and I already
There is no such thing as a Pakistani cuisine. What one part(the majority) of Pakistan eats is Indian cuisine, what the other(far smaller) part eats is Afghani cuisine.

Just like how there are local variations ofcourse like Shawarma with an Indian flavour, but it still remains an Arabic dish and cuisine. Its the same for Indian cuisine and Pakistani dishes.

There is no such thing as a Pakistani cuisine. What one part(the majority) of Pakistan eats is Indian cuisine, what the other(far smaller) part eats is Afghani cuisine.

Just like how there are local variations ofcourse like Shawarma with an Indian flavour, but it still remains an Arabic dish and cuisine. Its the same for Indian cuisine and Pakistani dishes.

Neither is there anything as such as Indian cuisine. Its all an amalgamation.. or would you like to say that potatoes had any relevance before the British came along??

Just pooh poohing what is Pakistani isnt the way to go on this forum.

@al-Hasani If you've knowledge of Riyadh then you must be aware of Batha area...they have some really good Pakistani food.

I am not that familiar with Riyadh (not from Najd at all) and I have lived abroad for half of my life anyway mate but I know that the restaurants there are very good usually and there is a big pool to choose from. Cheap too. I am familiar with the cuisines of South Asia including that of Pakistan.;) Many similarities with Arab cuisine overall I have to say. Especially Yemeni and Moroccan cuisine as they tend to be spicy cuisines.

Neither is there anything as such as Indian cuisine. Its all an amalgamation.. or would you like to say that potatoes had any relevance before the British came along??
Fine. I try to not argue with you even when there is scope. You have earned that respect from me.

Mission failed :(

May be something could start from Shawarma ? :D

I am not that familiar with Riyadh (not from Najd at all) and I have lived abroad for half of my life anyway mate but I know that the restaurants there are very good usually and there is a big pool to choose from. Cheap too. I am familiar with the cuisines of South Asia including that of Pakistan.;) Many similarities with Arab cuisine overall I have to say. Especially Yemeni and Moroccan cuisine as they tend to be spicy cuisines.

Back when I was living in Ahsa....there was a place run by yemenis where they used to cook a freshly slain goat or lamb...right there and then. My palestinian friends and I used to visit the place and used to have a blast.

Amongst Yemeni/khaleeji cuisines my all time favourite is Mandi...especially with 'red' rice.

Back when I was living in Ahsa....there was a place run by yemenis where they used to cook a freshly slain goat or lamb...right there and then. My palestinian friends and I used to visit the place and used to a blast.

Amongst Yemeni/khaleeji cuisines my all time favourite is Mandi...especially with 'red' rice.

Have you ever tried the many lovely diary products and most importantly young Najdi lamb meat?

That "Najdi sheep" has developed quite a "cult following" (LOL) on the ME section as many users can testify too.

They are strange but at the same time charming creatures. A bit like the human Najdis.:lol:

البرد في منطقة حريملاء - حفر الباطن
by Talal Qatar ²º¹⁴, on Flickr

You should try out Hijazi cuisine. It's a lovely cuisine and very diverse with nearby Yemeni, Shami, Egyptian and non-Arab influences as pilgrims from the entire Muslim world have settled and influenced the cuisine to various degrees from Morocco to Indonesia.

I once made a thread about Hijazi cuisine on PDF (LOL). If I can find it I will give you a call. Most of the dishes remain unknown for most expats even after years of living in KSA.

A lot of focus is also put on seafood in Hijaz. Especially in traditional Jeddawi cuisine etc. as the Red Sea is just nearby. A over 2000 km long stretch in fact. The fish market in Jeddah usually have a very big diversity of products each morning although fewer and fewer people remain in the "fish business". I forgot the English word for it. Fishermen. That was the word.:lol:

Last edited:
Have you ever tried the many lovely diary products and most importantly young Najdi sheep meat?

That "Najdi sheep" has developed quite a "cult following" (LOL) on the ME section as many users can testify too.

They are strange but at the same time charming creatures. A bit like the human Najdis.:lol:

البرد في منطقة حريملاء - حفر الباطن
by Talal Qatar ²º¹⁴, on Flickr

You should try out Hijazi cuisine. It's a lovely cuisine and very diverse with nearby Yemeni, Shami, Egyptian and non-Arab influences as pilgrims from the entire Muslim world have settled and influenced the cuisine to various degrees from Morocco to Indonesia.

I once made a thread about Hijazi cuisine on PDF (LOL). If I can find it I will give you a call. Most of the dishes remain unknown for most expats even after years of living in KSA.

Currently I am in Hejaz lol

@INDIC

How true is it that Indian cuisine by large is not based on meat due to religious rules in Hinduism? Was that always the case? Because I have read that Northern Indian cuisine is more meat based than the Southern Indian cuisine.

What about seafood in Indian cuisine? I have not heard much about that?! That's more popular in Bengal and Bangladesh.

Lastly do you have a dish similar to Kabsa and Mandi other than Biryani?

The last video is the dish "Mandi".

Only beef is not allowed in Hinduism, meat and fish is common in our diet but not everyone eat meat in India and also daal(lentils) is staple.

It looks similar to Kabsa but Biryani is cooked with 'dum' method, a layer of meat and half cooked basmati rice is taken in large pot and the lid is sealed to pot using wheat dough. This allow dum(pressure) cooking in Biryani. After biryani is cooked, seal of wheat dough is cut with knife and thrown away.

Also pulav is common, there is another soup named shorba made from goat/lamb trotters but Indian version is highly spicy which only we can sip. :lol::lol:

@INDIC

Thanks for that explanation!

Actually there are also versions of Biryani in the Arab world and overall all those 3 dishes are similar I can tell you already. I have eaten Iraqi Biryani (google the recipes if interested) too and Hyderabadi Biryani.;)

I enjoy spicy food and for that reason I enjoy Yemeni and Moroccan cuisine in particular although most Arab cuisines tend to use spices to various degrees and obviously also herbs (important) and vegetables/fruit.

Of course most Arab cuisines are not as spicy as your general South Asian cuisine but I can tell you for a fact that I like spicy food.
In fact I have eaten tried eating two Habanero chilis raw although I quickly abandoned that idea after the first try. I drank 2 liters of milk afterwards. Apparently it's one of the most spicy chills in the world.

Habanero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was warned before as I ventured into the universe of Youtube and saw various clowns from across the world recording themselves after eating it. But there are a few even much stronger chills out there.

Check this out. From India. It is insane.:lol:

;)

So here is a question. Which state in India has the MOST spicy food out there?​

Back
Top Bottom