What's new

Rahul Gandhi to be appointed as defence minister?

that's a good thing if he becomes defence minister.
he is well educated, he will surely act faster than Antony, we will see more funds allocated to defence because party and govt wants to shown he is doing a good job.

bad things are he is new and will take time to adapt, and there is not much time left for UPA.original plan was to win UP Elections and show rahul as a leader, but he and party failed miserably and not only that congress under him played minority politics which disappointed a lot of secular minded youngsters who looked up on him as a future leader.

Is Rahul Gandhi a defence enthusiast?

Well, his father, the late Rajiv Gandhi, certainly was. An airline pilot by profession, Rajiv Gandhi's fascination for machines both civilian and military was well known. It was Rajiv Gandhi who gave the go ahead for weaponising our nuclear capability in the eighties and oversaw the expansion of the Indian Navy into a quasi-blue water force with the induction of a nuclear submarine (the first INS Chakra) and a second aircraft carrier(the INS Viraat) during the same period. Could it be that his son also shares this interest?

Now one of the few times when Rahul Gandhi has spoken in Parliament, we heard him say the following:

"The difference between a powerful country and a country that is not powerful and does not have a similar impact on the world stage is that the powerful country thinks about how it will impact the world. The country that is not so powerful thinks about how the world would impact it. It does not matter which government runs this country. Many governments will run this country in the future. But it does matter how we think about our position in the world. What is important is that we stop worrying about how the world will impact us, we stop being scared about how the world will impact us, and we step out and worry about how we will impact the world.":coffee:

Hmm, this is something that will certainly warm the heart of every Indian who thinks that India should not take things lying down anymore. But that kind of national temper has to be underpinned by hard power in the military and economic realms and this statement seems to give due regard to that fact. It should also be noted that this was actually part of a speech he made in support of nuclear energy.

Interestingly, a few days ago I also saw a report which says that Rahul Gandhi is apparently taking a personal interest in our ongoing indigenous aircraft carrier building programme. So we have Rahul, both in support of matters nuclear as well as naval. It might just be in the genes, do we say.

In any case I think the present defence minister with all due respect hasn't really been able to move things forward given that a number of very urgent programmes are spending more time being investigated than executed. The chief reason for this is of course the incumbent defence minister's supposed 'saintliness' which urges him to promptly review an entire procurement (regardless of which stage it might be in) even if anybody as much as sneezes 'scam'.

Perhaps, the induction of India's quasi-royalty will give a royal push (even a quasi-royal push would do) to a ministry which in my opinion should occupy the highest priority given that our cute cuddly neighbours both to the north and the west may be planning a joint pajama party at our expense. We need to poop that one fast.

IBNLive : Saurav Jha's Blog : Is Rahul Gandhi a defence enthusiast?

There must be more to it.

They cannot have a square peg in a round hole.

Rahul Gandhi Defence Minister...??

5chu13.jpg

that's a good thing if he becomes defence minister.
he is well educated, he will surely act faster than Antony, we will see more funds allocated to defence because party and govt wants to shown he is doing a good job.

U deserve this for saying this...

f9ia2o.jpg

He will not join, he is trying to avoid showing his incompetence, so that he can still be contender for PM.

Oh man. You folks are writing him off too early. I however prefer that he become a minister of state first atleast for a term and then try doing something.

I think it will be good if he becomes the defence minister.. As a defence ministers, the only things that can make someone look good in peace time are modernizations, joint projects and aquisitions.. Plus with him being groomed for the PM position, congress will not risk any scam in defence deals under his watch.. Kind of win win I guess

First time i agree with ajtr, on topic we should get ready for bofors-2. Ek organisation(defence) to mast hai, uski watt mat lagao plz.

Indian Zardari i guess :lol:
Prey for the best fellows.

Dude , atleast Zardari has a useless post
MOD is the 2nd most important post in Indian Govt after PMO ,

My bets are either CONgress is looking to project A.K Antony as the new face For Sonia Gandhi in 2014 General election ,

Or Rahul Gandhi is being appointed as No 2 Minister so that he can take over from Manmohan " Should Pigs start flying and CONgress gets a 3rd term

Back
Top Bottom