What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

And i have no idea why Bilal Lashari director of Waar is remaking Maula Jatt.

Lashari has said that he thinks Maula Jatt if remade decently would have novelty for international audience, you know, he targets educated and foreign audience so he is definitely not going to make it look like gangsta film but a film that shows a particular genre that is quite different from mainstream genres of other film industries, he is just trying to experiment, nothing more.

I also hate these mujras and vulgar stage dramas. They give a bad name to us greater Punjabis in general. It's because of these stage dramas and mujras that we northern Punjabis stereotype Lahoris as beghairat/kanjar. No offence.

These maula jutt /gujjar type movies gave wrong image to Pakistani movies and another thing need to stop is thes evulgar punjabi third class stage dramas and mujra where all these prostitute do acting and dacing

As long as heera mandi remains open in Lahore these prostitutes will always get their way in films or stage, fortunately upto 90s they were restricted only to film industry but with continuous downfall of film industry and the gradual success of Stage dramas they just forcibly got into stage dramas, now tamashbeens in lahore watch mujras on stage dramas instead of going to Heera mandi :big_boss:

Last edited:
And i have no idea why Bilal Lashari director of Waar is remaking Maula Jatt. They need to get the industry in right track. Anyway Maula Jatt remake in urdu/english will be stupid anyway, looking at how Waar was.
was that maul matt movie in english?

I also hate these mujras and vulgar stage dramas. They give a bad name to us greater Punjabis in general. It's because of these stage dramas and mujras that we northern Punjabis stereotype Lahoris as beghairat/kanjar. No offence.

We in Gujranwala just 70 kms north of Lahore also have the same steroe type of Lahoris being beghairat/kanjar, I never understand the cultural and moral values contrast between Lahore and the rest of punjab which is pretty conservative but this city lahore being capital of punjab and base of arts film/stage etc. is giving really very bad name to pakistani punjabis

He should make a movie on dullah bhatti instead. But I think the movie should be fun, but it should be in Punjabi. He's making it because its an iconic Pakistani film. And I think non-jatts make Jatt protagonists due to the fame of "jagga jatt", a famous righteous dacoit I think.

Dullah Bhatti movie made in 1956

I doubt Pakistan will make another Dullah Bhatti movie looking at how Pakistanis now days think of nobel Mughals. And about Maula Jatt, i will copy paste this from youtube to explain.

''For you a feud might last a generation, I even kill the grandsons" - Maula Jutt
تیر\ ویر صِرف اِک نَسل تَک چَلدا ہوئے گا، مَیں پَوترے تَک مار دَیندَا آں ۔ مولا جٹ

Super-hit Punjabi film which forever changed the Punjabi film industry in Pakistan. Maula Jatt/Jutt translates literally to "Lord of The Jutts" however a better translation would be the "Lord's Jatt"

The film is an unofficial sequel to the 1975 film. Wehshi Jatt itself was inspired by an Urdu play "Gandasa" written by Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi which depicts a bloody feud in Gujranwala against the backdrop of rural Punjab.

The panache and script here elevated it from the typical blood feud story of rural Punjab into an often quoted film that traversed the typical demarcation of film as entertainment only. It managed to touch a nerve and identify with not only its time but the psyche of the average Pakistani.
Following the settlement of Maula's family feud in Wehshi Jatt (in case you did not see it he wiped out the entire male blood line save a solitary young grandson)''

any body got any pics of heera mandi?
why you want to have deedar of heera Mundi in ramdhan?

As long heera mandi remains open in Lahore these prostitutes will always get their way in films or stage, fortunately upto 90s they were restricted only to film industry but with continuous downfall of film industry and the gradual success of Stage dramas they just forcibly got into stage dramas, now tamashbeens in lahore watch mujras on stage dramas instead of going to Heera mandi :big_boss:
I wonder why Government dont shut these places operate openly and it even cause trouble to those people who come to visit data darbaar and surrounding areas

Dullah Bhatti movie made in 1956

I doubt Pakistan will make another Dullah Bhatti movie looking at how Pakistanis now days think of nobel Mughals. And about Maula Jatt, i will copy paste this from youtube to explain.

''For you a feud might last a generation, I even kill the grandsons" - Maula Jutt
تیر\ ویر صِرف اِک نَسل تَک چَلدا ہوئے گا، مَیں پَوترے تَک مار دَیندَا آں ۔ مولا جٹ

Super-hit Punjabi film which forever changed the Punjabi film industry in Pakistan. Maula Jatt/Jutt translates literally to "Lord of The Jutts" however a better translation would be the "Lord's Jatt"

The film is an unofficial sequel to the 1975 film. Wehshi Jatt itself was inspired by an Urdu play "Gandasa" written by Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi which depicts a bloody feud in Gujranwala against the backdrop of rural Punjab.

The panache and script here elevated it from the typical blood feud story of rural Punjab into an often quoted film that traversed the typical demarcation of film as entertainment only. It managed to touch a nerve and identify with not only its time but the psyche of the average Pakistani.
Following the settlement of Maula's family feud in Wehshi Jatt (in case you did not see it he wiped out the entire male blood line save a solitary young grandson)''

I always thougt that Maula jatt was either based on some feud in Gujranwala or Sheikhupura district and today it is confirmed that it was inspired from Gujranwala rural areas and being from that area I can confirm that village culture in Gujranwala was quite violent in cases of feud as recently as in 80s and 90s.

And this thread is about Punjabi culture right? Where is the humanist Punjabi poetry? Bhulle Shah is known throughout the world. His poetry was anti-racist when racism was universally accepted. The reason why Pakistani Punjabis are more accommodating of other ethnicities in their homelands is because of popularity of Bhulle Shah's poems. Sadly, today these local legends and Punjabi culture is at a threat due to the rise and influx of Deoband and urdu cultural supremacy.

I always thougt that Maula jatt was either based on some feud in Gujranwala or Sheikhupura district and today it is confirmed that it was inspired from Gujranwala rural areas and being from that area I can confirm that village culture in Gujranwala was quite violent in cases of feud as recently as in 80s and 90s.

There's a strong culture of feuds in Punjab. Even today, Gujrat is quite notorious for feuds. There's a trend in Gujrat to not involve police in local feuds. Back in British era, Chakwal was particularly notorious for murders based on petty arguments and feuds. Also, in 80s and 90s, the Gujranwala belt wasn't the industrialized powerhouse that it is today. Back then, it was the wild wild west of Pakistan and Punjabis use to migrate to Karachi to find work.

And this thread is about Punjabi culture right? Where is the humanist Punjabi poetry? Bhulle Shah is known throughout the world. His poetry was anti-racist when racism was universally accepted. The reason why Pakistani Punjabis are more accommodating of other ethnicities in their homelands is because of popularity of Bhulle Shah's poems. Sadly, today these local legends and Punjabi culture is at a threat due to the rise and influx of Deoband and urdu cultural supremacy.

There's a strong culture of feuds in Punjab. Even today, Gujrat is quite notorious for feuds. There's a trend in Gujrat to not involve police in local feuds. Back in British era, Chakwal was particularly notorious for murders based on petty arguments and feuds. Also, in 80s and 90s, the Gujranwala belt wasn't the industrialized powerhouse that it is today. Back then, it was the wild wild west of Pakistan and Punjabis use to migrate to Karachi to find work.

It was indeed the case in 50s upto late 70s to go to karachi for work just like people go to middle east these days for work from our area, Karachi was once considered Dubai of pakistan :lol:

It was indeed the case in 50s upto late 70s to go to karachi for work just like people go to middle east these days for work from our area, Karachi was once considered Dubai of pakistan :lol:

And then Altaf Bhai came along. There were reports of MQM people checking id cards of Punjabis and shooting them on the spot in the 90s. Nowadays, many Karachi people permanently migrating to Lahore and Rawalpindi/Islamabad. I believe they should be repaid in the same exact manner. My views might be a bit too radical, but I believe in eye for an eye concept.

PS: Back then, I head, Karachi was a very different place. It was very secular and peaceful.

why you want to have deedar of heera Mundi in ramdhan?

I wonder why Government dont shut these places operate openly and it even cause trouble to those people who come to visit data darbaar and surrounding areas
just want to see how it looks.

Back
Top Bottom