What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

In east punjab i have never heard the word tola to address collection of people, we usually use hajoom. Though technically that means mob.

Because pakistani punjabi dialect spoken between Lahore and Gujranwala is very very rich dialect in terms of vocabulary, yes Tola is used as a collection of people usually in negative or sarcastic sense.

Hajoom is an Urdu word... Tola is used for a gang..

Hajoom is actually an arabic word and it is borrowed from arabic both in urdu and punjabi and perhaps other pakistani languages too. It comes from arabic word "Hajam" which actually means "volume" , Hajoom in punjabi/urdu is used in the sense of filled volume meaning a place filled with a lot of people (crowded).

Last edited:
Gellani speaking Seraiki

Imran Khan lol

Any native punjabi can understand them.

But that punjabi has to be from some hardcore punjabi village in central punjab, the problem is urban people living in Lahore who have difficulty in understanding even villagers punjabi have spread this rumor that anything that these lahoris don't understand is a "separate" language which I find quite funny and ignorant.

This is the pure form of punjabi as it is spoken in Gujranwala, the old guy is somewhat abusive here and there which unfortunately is the case with uneducated people but the good thing is he is speaking purest gujranwala punjabi without any outside influence.

Because pakistani punjabi dialect spoken between Lahore and Gujranwala is very very rich dialect in terms of vocabulary, yes Tola is used as a collection of people usually in negative or sarcastic sense.

Hajoom is actually an arabic word and it is borrowed from arabic both in urdu and punjabi and perhaps other pakistani languages too. It comes from arabic word "Hajam" which actually means "volume" , Hajoom in punjabi/urdu is used in the sense of filled volume meaning a place filled with a lot of people (crowded).
My ancestral place is daska and i have never heard my grandparents using that word. Actually the first time i heard the word tolay was when i was when i was watching documentary on gujrat riots and people were saying "logon ke tolay"

My ancestral place is daska and i have never heard my grandparents using that word. Actually the first time i heard the word tolay was when i was when i was watching documentary on gujrat riots and people were saying "logon ke tolay"

It is quite commonly used in punjabi , Dasksa is in east to our area Gujranwala, daska is actually in the linguistic zone of gujranwala despite being officially part of Sialkot which is somewhat different linguistic zone (a little bit jammu language influence in sialkot can be noticed). Most of the daska rural people prefer to settle in gujranwala urban area as compared to Sialkot due to their higher linguistic affinity with Gujranwala.

of course.. you read the baburnama or aurangsebs history and all the other histories where the hindus were either converted or put to sword. you will understand why your ancestors were forced to convert (assuming you are Punjabi) . If you are a mix then its a different story. your fathers (ancestors) forced onto your mothers(ancestors).
I am not denyin that during bulleh shahs and saibabas time there were a few conversions, but that was a conversion to a fusion islam which had a lot of sould searching and a philosophy (bulleh shah said - hor ve neevan ho, and to look into your sould you will see that everything is an illusion and you will be a jogi).
So don't worry about my ancestors - we forced the muslims to accept that they cant convert us and when the british came we ensured that the muslims were shot in cannons and their women sent to the pleasures of the hindus in lucknows kothis. but that s a different story.. not a Punjabi one. this is a Mughal story.

Total BS. Its not about me or others. I only care about my beliefs and practices. It dont matter to me who practice what thousand years ago and whether their conversion were genuine or fake. History is always biased. You are actually insulting yourself /your religion/your Hindu fellows to make yourself feel better and brave. Typical Hindu approach :lol: You guys are such a cowards. If Hindus had only two option to die or accept Islam then you or your ancestors should have been dead . Secondly if some Hindus were weak and could not defend themselves against oppressors then whom you blame? Weaker Hindus or brave Hindu who could not save them? either way you are insulting Hindus and Hindu beliefs who teach cowardice to their followers and you should happy that they left brave Hindus who could could not save them from oppressor

In east punjab i have never heard the word tola to address collection of people, we usually use hajoom. Though technically that means mob.
Tola is Mob or Group,Tola is also a unit of measurement 10 grams or something

Dhola is used for a beloved one another word would be Mahiya or Mahi.

People can brag about being Jatt,Gujjar,Arian but there is one golden rule in Punjab i.e The size of your brag-o-phagus is directly proportional to the size of your land holding. So if your are Jatt/Arian with 2 acres of land...... in Punjabi society you are pretty shit and tracing your origins to Steppes won't help much

It's your worth that matters not your clans or biradris.

People can brag about being Jatt,Gujjar,Arian but there is one golden rule in Punjab i.e The size of your brag-o-phagus is directly proportional to the size of your land holding. So if your are Jatt/Arian with 2 acres of land...... in Punjabi society you are pretty shit and tracing your origins to Steppes won't help much

How an indian knows so much about Arains who are exclusively a muslim tribe or baradari and since last 70 years don't live in any part of india. Second land holding has not much importance at this present moment in pakistani punjab, money holding matters the most.

How much land does any ordinary person in East Punjab own? On average.

How much land does any ordinary person in East Punjab own? On average.

How an indian knows so much about Arains who are exclusively a muslim tribe or baradari and since last 70 years don't live in any part of india. Second land holding has not much importance at this present moment in pakistani punjab, money holding matters the most.
LOL!

Here thts nothing .. Thts what the poorest farmer holds.
They only difference is each acre is 50+ lakhs.Punjab is a small state and after the land reforms the land was evenly distributed and then add family divisions to it.

You could buy an acre for 20k INR in Rajasthan or UP or other states but there's not enough water therr to grow stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom