What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

In seriki it's dhol for drums .. As for tola it's an Urdu word for measuring gold etc.. Dhola as I said before = beloved .. Like mendha Dhola = my beloved.

Nope .. The word you are referring to is sheerien which means sweet.. Kheer or rice+milk sweet dish .. They use kheer for milk ... You say aithey or here .. In seriki it's edai.. And so on ..

Dhola = Tola or Dhol = Tol = Beloved is also used in gurjanwala punjabi in exactly same sense , here "t" is hard t as in english word "troop". Tola = a measure of weight (10 g) is pronounced with soft "t" urdu wala tay.

Last edited:
do you know how close rajasthan is to Delhi as well as Punjab/Haryana,please take a look at the map.

It wont take much time to move around,i do not understand the logic sometimes.

Dadi look at Rajasthani dravidian like rajputs and then look at Punjabi rajputs.

In seriki it's dhol for drums .. As for tola it's an Urdu word for measuring gold etc.. Dhola as I said before = beloved .. Like mendha Dhola = my beloved.

Nope .. The word you are referring to is sheerien which means sweet.. Kheer or rice+milk sweet dish .. They use kheer for milk ... You say aithey or here .. In seriki it's edai.. And so on ..

Ask any persian here on this forum they will confirm that "Sheer" or "Shir" means milk in persian. Shirin is a seperate word which means sweet.

Dhola = Tola = Beloved is also used in gurjanwala punjabi in exactly same sense , here "t" is hard t as in english word "troop". Tola = a measure of weight (10 g) is pronounced with soft "t" urdu wala tay.

There is a big freaking diff between jewelry Wala tola and Tola.. There is no punjabi word tola for beloved .. It's a pure seriki word Dhola .. U can also hear tht in seriki songs.. Kyun bal ki khaal nikaal rahay ho yaar.

But I can perfectly make sense what "edai" means when it is used in saraiki, only people who have no good grip on punjabi vocabulary and very very less exposure to saraiki can have a "little" problem with some words here and there but majority of villager punjabis will not have any problem understanding a saraiki because their sense of understanding similar dialects is very strong.

Last edited:
Ask any persian here on this forum they will confirm that "Sheer" or "Shir" means milk in persian. Shirin is a seperate word which means sweet.

It's wierd to see you telling us tht seriki word kheer is from Persian sheer..:lol:

U talk a lot about gujranwala .. I'm here since 2 years... Before tht I went to the APS&C gujranwala cantt when I was a kid..

There is a big freaking diff between jewelry Wala tola and Tola.. There is no punjabi word tola for beloved .. It's a pure seriki word Dhola .. U can also hear tht in seriki songs.. Kyun bal ki khaal nikaal rahay ho yaar.

Nothing in saraiki is pure , it is either punjabi or sindhi, one just needs to have sound knowledge of these two langauges and "bhanda" of saraiki being a separate language is broken immediately.

It's wierd to see you telling us tht seriki word kheer is from Persian sheer..:lol:

U talk a lot about gujranwala .. I'm here since 2 years... Before tht I went to the APS&C gujranwala cantt when I was a kid..

Because I have interest in language borrowing and finding ultimate roots of the words like Aftab of Khabarnak :lol:. kheer is indeed corrupted form of Sheer (milk in persian), it is linguistic borrowings and subsequent corrupting of few words here and there nothing special.

But I can perfectly make sense what "edai" means when it is used in saraiki, only people who have no good grip on punjabi vocabulary and very very less exposure to saraiki can have a "little" problem with some words here and there but majority of villager punjabis will not have any problem understanding a saraiki because there sense of understanding similar dialects is very strong.

But I can perfectly make sense what "edai" means when it is used in saraiki, only people who have no good grip on punjabi vocabulary and very very less exposure to saraiki can have a "little" problem with some words here and there but majority of villager punjabis will not have any problem understanding a saraiki because there sense of understanding similar dialects is very strong.
Yes I'm sure a guy from gujranwala can understand seriki spoken in DIK or Bahawalpur .. Itni lut nahi hai.. I've lived in gujranwala lahore multan Bahawalpur pindi etc travelled to DIK,DGK,layyah,Bakhar etc .. Baat karna asan haien reality is opposite ..

Nothing in saraiki is pure , it is either punjabi or sindhi, one just needs to have sound knowledge of these two langauges and "bhanda" of saraiki being a separate language is broken immediately.

Because I have interest in language borrowing and finding ultimate roots of the words like Aftab of Khabarnak :lol:. kheer is indeed corrupted form of Sheer (milk in persian), it is linguistic borrowings and subsequent corrupting of few words here and there nothing special.

I've travelled more than you .. And let me assure you .. U can't understand pure seriki .. Look at this thread I posted basic ,punjabi,seriki words .. How many punjabis could understand em? Another example .. U please call me when free shoes= juttie .. In seriki it's "Khhala"..

You are 100% correct.punjabis in general don't share a feeling of brotherhood with their fellow Punjabi like a tamilian,malayali or a bengali who irrespective of their religions hold close bond with people of their linguistic groups.a malayali or a Tamil Muslim or Christian would be more close to a fellow malayali or Tamil Hindu than to a Muslim or Christian of other linguistic group.punjabis never had that feeling bcoz Punjabi is some low standard dialect of Hindi.Punjabi themselves look down upon their language.there is not a single school in entire Pakistan which teaches Punjabi.Indian side of Punjab is a little better but even they don't like to converse in their mother tongue.Punjabi take pride in speaking in Urdu and Hindi.Any language group which does not respect its language does not share any feeling of brotherhood with its fellow members.

Are you nuts or what, punjabi is much older language than hindi language.

This seem to be hindko dialect?

They were using punjabi+saraiki (a mixture) , nothing to do with hindko. This mushaira is recorded somewhere in south punjab perhaps in Multan or Vehari sorrounding area.

@qamar1990 for a small fee any mullah can make you a taveez. :lol:

Like I said, since Hindus don't proselytise the number of conversions will be lower. Also Muslims kill the person who converts out.
I spoke the truth earlier,you couldn't handle it. Islam being the youngest religion.
I know many such instances eg dharmendra.
You can believe what you want and find your answered. That's the beauty of Hinduism.

Heres a news flash Pakistani Punjabis do not care or believe in your revisionist saffron bakbak. :)

Yes I'm sure a guy from gujranwala can understand seriki spoken in DIK or Bahawalpur .. Itni lut nahi hai.. I've lived in gujranwala lahore multan Bahawalpur pindi etc travelled to DIK,DGK,layyah,Bakhar etc .. Baat karna asan haien reality is opposite ..

I've travelled more than you .. And let me assure you .. U can't understand pure seriki .. Look at this thread I posted basic ,punjabi,seriki words .. How many punjabis could understand em? Another example .. U please call me when free shoes= juttie .. In seriki it's "Khhala"..

First of all post some videos of pure seraiki speaking and we will see if we can understand or not. Seraiki in roman format doesnt mean anything, some times i find it hard to make sense of central punjabi in roman format.

Are you nuts or what, punjabi is much older language than hindi language.

They were using punjabi+saraiki (a mixture) , nothing to do with hindko. This mushaira is recorded somewhere in south punjab perhaps in Multan or Vehari sorrounding area.

He is not nuts but bhaiya who thinks punjabi came later then hindi.

Dhola = Tola = Beloved is also used in gurjanwala punjabi in exactly same sense , here "t" is hard t as in english word "troop". Tola = a measure of weight (10 g) is pronounced with soft "t" urdu wala tay.
In east punjab i have never heard the word tola to address collection of people, we usually use hajoom. Though technically that means mob.

it is the same one ! i.e Mian ji. He never called himself a pir or anything though. many Hindus & sikhs loved and respected him.
I even know Christians who go to his shrine to lay flowers & such.

Lala I read that he was a Farooqi though.

Nothing special, if I go from Gujranwala to Shakargarh just 60 kms east , there are hundreds of words there that are specific only to Shakargarh punjabi (it is also a dialect), it is the general vocabulary, pronouns, number counting, grammatical features that determine a language's relation with other languages/dialects, and in that case Saraiki and punjabi are part of the same Dialectal continuum for a linguist, I cannot make sense of anything in pashto for example which is classic case of a separate language but to call saraiki a separate language is from linguistic point of view a crazy notion.

Back
Top Bottom