What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

-culture has differences because of the influence of religion on culture.
-baradari on indian side consists of jatts, few rajputs and almost negligible amount of gujjars which is weird since since areas to the west of east punjab and to the east have plenty of gujjars. Also large percent of SC in indian punjab.
-most of the rural sikhs from west punjab settled in east punjab except those from sheikhupura and gujaranwala who were settled in karnal. Urban hindu and sikhs settled in delhi in large numbers( delhi at one time had as many lahoris as lahore)
-punjabis from east tend to hold on to their traditions more because sikhs are essential punjabis whereas i have personally noticed that those from west consider being muslim as being above their punjabi identity
finally somebody made a real contribution

Its possible few of them indeed migrated from Rajasthan, not enough to completly change genetic makeup of punjabi rajputs.

Yes that is why pothohari and punjabi rajputs are genetically far less south indian than indian rajputs because which ever rajputs came from rajasthan to punjab have mixed heavily with local punjabi tribes and hence are genetically more or less like other punjabis.

Rajput means some one from Kingdom. Kshatriya means warrior. There is a difference.

Term rajput doesn't have one definition. For some analysts, it's the 'purest' form of kshatriya. You do know that many people started laying claim to kshatriya identity 19-th century onwards. Before that it entailed MOSTLY rajputs. Moreover, some rajputs in punjab are mostly from kekaya etc. kingdoms. Do you think they came from rajasthan lol.
Another theory that was also presented in this thread that many rajputs are a mix of locals and incoming hepthalites. So it's pretty muddled. These are titular definitions that describe a person's occupation/status etc.

okay fine I agree pakistanis are very superior race. If that completes the purpose of this Thread. LOls .. bhains ke agey kya bean Bajaye

@DESERT FIGHTER

Last edited:
Term rajput doesn't have one definition. For some analysts, it's the 'purest' form of kshatriya. You do know that many people started laying claim to kshatriya identity 19-th century onwards. Before that it entailed MOSTLY rajputs. Moreover, some rajputs in punjab are mostly from kekaya etc. kingdoms. Do you think they came from rajasthan lol.
Another theory that was also presented in this thread that many rajputs are a mix of locals and incoming hepthalites. So it's pretty muddled. These are titular definitions that describe a person's occupation/status etc.

Kashtriya means warrior by profession. Thats all. Where on my post I said rajputs were from Rajasthan only? These are hindu castes, I am well aware of it.

Rajputs are just a pure form of Kshatriya. It doesn't matter what specific 'name' different people use for these people. They have always existed in some form or another and somewhat have embraced certain incomers like the hephtalites in their gene-pool it seems. One theory is that rajput just means 'son of a raja' .
Moreover I've heard Indians say that rajputs are just from rajashtan and on this thread somebody was saying that gujjars are from there. Well these seem to be distinctions based on not only genes but occupation/ status etc. Majority don't have to be from rajasthan lol. They have always existed in one form or another and based on their status as pure 'kshatriya' ended up being rajput.

And who were Gurjara Pratiharas as per you ... ? Gujjars or Rajputs ? Pratiharas (rajputs) were Gujjars by cast (as proven by the rajor inscription)

like idk man
in my family every single kid is born dirty blond and white yet
when we get older we turn darker with dark hair
pakistan punjabis are definitely mixed

10923_816375351706569_270812274712449453_n.jpg

560818_382053298500895_76511035_n.jpg

just 2 example of kids in my fan whose pics i could find right now

Of course because Pakistani Punjabis are Muslim so they largely mixed with Muslims who migrated from Central Asia/ Iran. Not to mention millions of Pashtuns settled in Punjab and are considered Punjabi today, they will also be more fair and they speak only Punjabi today, an example of such a tribe is the Sherwani Pashtun.

I have also read that Jud tribe of pothohar who were ancestors of modern Janjua and Ghakhar (kiani) tribes of salt range were branches of Rathores (rashtrakuta) who migrated from rajasthan to salt range of pothohar , it was them after whom salt range was called Hills of Jud. Man history is very shocking than we think about it, the more you go deeper into history , the more shocking it gets.

That's a refuted theory. These tribes were also said to be of 'Turanian' origin. Moreover they have also been described as 'Aryan'.
Punjabi rajput and other tribe are historically spread out west of Indus and to the east of their current place. There's been back and forth both west-wards and east-wards.
Heck the Janjua have also been described as a Turko-mongol tribe lol
This is fact: Most of Punjab's population is not from Rajasthan but local. On this thread people are saying that both rajputs and gujjars are from rajasthan lol. Do you know what that means

Rajputs are just a pure form of Kshatriya. It doesn't matter what specific 'name' different people use for these people. They have always existed in some form or another and somewhat have embraced certain incomers like the hephtalites in their gene-pool it seems. One theory is that rajput just means 'son of a raja' .
Moreover I've heard Indians say that rajputs are just from rajashtan and on this thread somebody was saying that gujjars are from there. Well these seem to be distinctions based on not only genes but occupation/ status etc. Majority don't have to be from rajasthan lol. They have always existed in one form or another and based on their status as pure 'kshatriya' ended up being rajput.

Yes to be Kshatriya one does not need to be from Rajasthan (old name Rajputana), but to be Rajput one must trace his origins to one of the rajput clans of rajasthan because that is where Rajput ethnicity was shaped.

Last edited:
Of course because Pakistani Punjabis are Muslim so they largely mixed with Muslims who migrated from Central Asia/ Iran. Not to mention millions of Pashtuns settled in Punjab and are considered Punjabi today, they will also be more fair and they speak only Punjabi today, an example of such a tribe is the Sherwani Pashtun.

The mixing happened when Alexander Invaded.

yep. mom side moved to india from kabul late 1800's dad side moved to india just before Shah Jahan's rule started.

So what zaat do you fall under?

The mixing happened when Alexander Invaded.

Afaik most of the South Asian groups who claim Greek descent are not really of Greek descent. Like the Hunza people have a origin myth of being remnants of the Greeks yet they have no Greek DNA whereas Pashtun can have up to 2% Greek DNA in some cases.

Yes to be Kshatriya one does not need to be from Rajasthan, but to be Rajput one must trace his origins to one of the rajput clan of rajasthan because that is where Rajput ethnicity was shaped.

Lol really. So Bhattis, minhas, kharal, janjua, tiwanas etc. HAVE to be from rajasthan. This is what I'm precisely pointing out.
Some of these tribes have been described everything under the lens from Hepthalites, Turko-mongol to 'Aryan'.
They have always existed IN PUNJAB in one form or another.

That's a refuted theory. These tribes were also said to be of 'Turanian' origin. Moreover they have also been described as 'Aryan'.
Punjabi rajput and other tribe are historically spread out west of Indus and to the east of their current place. There's been back and forth both west-wards and east-wards.
Heck the Janjua have also been described as a Turko-mongol tribe lol
This is fact: Most of Punjab's population is not from Rajasthan but local. On this thread people are saying that both rajputs and gujjars are from rajasthan lol. Do you know what that means

Actually Rajput and Kshatriya are different even if both are basically same profession. Rajputs all over South Asia trace their mythical origin back to Rajasthan. So if indeed punjabi rajputs have Rajasthan origin, then very few people from there migrated to Punjab in 1000 years because punjabi rajputs genetically are not like them but more like other punjabis.

Back
Top Bottom