What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

Do you know anything about origins of Kashmiri nomadic gujjars? They look west Asian but speak indo-aryan language.

The gujjars who live in Afghanistan, norhtern areas and Kashmir have mixed with local dardic and nuristani shepherds (due to similar professions) that is why they occasionally show afghan phenotypes.

Last edited:
i heard that too idk how or why lol.
they look like pathans to me
Kashmir-Gujjar.jpg

Bakitar_Gujar,_1984.jpg

IMG_2387.JPG

How they look Pathan lol?

It was not the case always , there is no mention of the word "Rajput" in any indian text before 8th century, they are a pretty new formation from historical point of view.

And there was a mention of Gujjars before the 8th century?
Stop kiddin yourself.
@Screambowl
if a gurjar is Punjabi then he is by domicile punjabi. But Gurjars Originally were from Gujrat(India) Rajasthan). Now Pakistan if invented new gurjar tribe then I dont know.

They have been living here since centuries .. From Jhelum region to lahore .. The ones who did migrate are from Jammu .. Forced to migrate in 1947.

Bhai thori lam chawal Mara Karo.... Historically the Rajputs have been the ruling elite of the sub continent..

Historically after 10th century? Or was it after 8th century i think.

why is everybody on internet calling him a gujjar?
is this another gujjar conspiracy?

Maybe you are right, he could be Kashmiri gujjar but now his family uses butt surname? It doesnt make sense.

Last edited:
The Gujjars, who live Nomadic life today, have once ruled the entire Northern India .Modern day Gujrat was called "GUJAR-RATA" or Gujjar Rashtra meaning thereby "Kingdom of Gujjars". This was the area where Gujjars flourished and their rule spread over entire Northern India .Gujjar tribe appeared on the horizon of India during 5th century A.D, with the advent of white Huns and they established their rule on northern parts. History revealed that the entire Northern India , was ruled by the Ashkani ,Panwar, Baruoch Chaweri and Parthar Gujjars. There states of Gujjar kingdoms present a brief account of the Glorious past of Gujjars. Not only this, the immortal remains of Gujjar past tell their stories in the whole central Asia and adjoining areas.Presently Gujjars live in above one dozen States of India, with their distinctive life style, these States include Jammu and Kashmir , Himachal Pradesh. Haryana, Punjab , Rajasthan, Utter Pardesh , M.P , Utteranchal and Gujrat, besides a few areas in Delhi The frontier, Baluchistan and Punjab province of Pakistan also have number of colonies of Gujjars. Not only this but in ethnicAfghanistan the Gujjars are holding important Position.

The State of Jammu and Kashmir been the advent of Gurjars during 9th and 10th century A.D. This was the period when Islam was spreading in northern India . According to historians there are 4 major reasons for settlingof Gujjars in Jammu and Kashmir .

* The wars for throne in Gujrat and adjoining States, resulting in fighting and exodus of Gujjars after their defeat.

* The frequent earth quacks and intolerable secession in Gujrat, Rajastan and neighboring States.

* To explore new meadows and pastures for sustenance of life and cattle.

*In addition to above, after embracing Islam it was also imperative on their part to migrate to new Muslim dominated areas.

The State of J&K has five big Sub-Tribe of Gujjars which include:-

1. Banhara / Dodhi Gujjars .

Dodhi Gujjars who are presently inhabited in areas of Jammu/Udhampur/Kathua and Doda. The main business of this sub-tribe is dairy Products etc.

2. Bakarwal Gujjars :-

This Sub-tribe resides almost in every District of the State in a Substantial number however, they are mostly the residents of Kalakote, Riasi, Nowshaira, Bandi-Pura, Shopian, Kulgam, Pahlgam, Tral and uri etc.

3. Alahiwal Gujjars:-

This Sub-tribe has migrated from the frontier province of Pakistan and are mostly nomads.

4. Kanhari Gujjars :-

This Sub-tribe has migrated from Swat and Hazara areas Presently in Pakistan . Now a days Good Number of these Gujjars live in KalaKote of Rajouri District.

5. Semi-nomad Gujjars :-

One more Sub-Tribe of Gujjars are those who have by and large prominently settled in various parts of the State ..

i don't think you guys are foreigners :coffee: marxist and colonial era historians had a fetish for ascribing any proud people with historic empires to their name as having been invaders to subcontinent descended either from scythians, mongoloid huns or mythical aryans.

Bhatiya are a separate caste in itself that has its origin in sindh from where they expanded in punjab and indian Gujarat as well, they are a merchant caste so in punjab (indian punjab) they are lumped together with khatri and aroras who are also trading and merchant castes of punjab. That is why Akshay kumar married twinkle khanna a khatri.

actually we get confused about race and caste. in Pakistan the background of caste is similar as in India because the culture is same people are same. Those who say, Indian pakistanis are different, it will be wrong. But yes, only the Pathans are Indo greeks due to Greek Invasion.

Bhatiya , bhatti, sandhu, are similar. Where as Bhatt, Butt are same.. It is very confusing now days.

I've heard the theory that @Azlan Haider mentioned. It's important to distinguish different tribes though . Not all rajputs have same origin just like all gujjars don't seem to have the EXACT same 'origin'. For example do the bhattis have the same origin as the Minhas? I don't think so. Moreover there's been a lot of to and fro from punjab to the areas to its west and east.
My idea is that many punjabi rajputs DO have the blood of hepthalites but it is not necessarily evenly distributed in different rajput groups.

who knows genetics here. rajputs and gujjars aren't related to hepthalites. they became the abdali clan confederation, thats established fact. it should at least have a passing mention in some ancient account since writing and recording of events was quite sophisticated in that period by brahmin scholars.

Historically after 10th century? Or was it after 8th century i think.

Maybe you are right, he could be Kashmiri gujjar but now his family uses butt surname? It doesnt make sense.
**** this man
this thread is out of line
we need to discuss punjab culture not all this bs lol

i don't think you guys are foreigners :coffee: marxist and colonial era historians had a fetish for ascribing any proud people with historic empires to their name as having been invaders to subcontinent descended either from scythians, mongoloid huns or mythical aryans.

Still more plausible than what local Gujjars themselves say ... Muslim Gujjars believe that Gujjars are descendants of Hazrat Ibrahim A.S , Hindu Gujjars claim descent from Suryavanshi Kshatriyas (Sun Dynasty) and connect themselves with the Hindu deity Rama.....

yeah.. but now days gujars are spread throught India and in Punjab in Pak. Originally they are gujrati(ind) Rajasthani
so what?
i know my family has been in punjab for 100s of years if not thousands
so we are punjabis

yep. mom side moved to india from kabul late 1800's dad side moved to india just before Shah Jahan's rule started.
damn and you guys kept track of all that shit.
damn you pathans

Back
Top Bottom