What's new

Punjabi Culture in the subcontinent and beyond….

@qamar1990 heard there are Gujjars in Afghanistan too.
i heard that too idk how or why lol.
they look like pathans to me
Kashmir-Gujjar.jpg

Bakitar_Gujar,_1984.jpg

IMG_2387.JPG

these are all supposedly gujjars, who knows
@Azlan Haider can shed light on this.
he is the PDF gujjar expert
I'm just a gujjar badmash

But Gama family is not Gujjar neither punjabi gujjar nor kashmiri gujjar.
The Great Gama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghulam Muhammad whose Punjabi nickname was "Gama", was born in muslim gurjar family to the renowned wrestler Muhammad Aziz inPunjab. Maharaja Bhawani Singh, the ruler of the princely state of Datia, Madhya Pradesh patronized the young wrestler and his brother Imam Bukhsh.[4] Gama was first noticed at the age of ten when he entered a strongman competition held in Jodhpur, which included many grueling exercises such as squats. The contest was attended by more than four hundred wrestlers and young Gama was among the last remaining fifteen wrestlers. At that point the Maharaja of Jodhpur announced Gama as the victor due to his remarkable show of enormous stamina and dedication among the many older wrestlers.

i thought he was arain though?

anyway you stay happy with pehlwans, we'll stay happy being the emperors of punjabi kingdoms/empires of the past and de facto rulers of present :P

edit: i stand corrected. other members here saying he was butt
Ghulam Muhammad whose Punjabi nickname was "Gama", was born in muslim gurjar family to the renowned wrestler Muhammad Aziz inPunjab. Maharaja Bhawani Singh, the ruler of the princely state of Datia, Madhya Pradesh patronized the young wrestler and his brother Imam Bukhsh.[4] Gama was first noticed at the age of ten when he entered a strongman competition held in Jodhpur, which included many grueling exercises such as squats. The contest was attended by more than four hundred wrestlers and young Gama was among the last remaining fifteen wrestlers. At that point the Maharaja of Jodhpur announced Gama as the victor due to his remarkable show of enormous stamina and dedication among the many older wrestlers.

Indian history khol kar kyun baith gaye. I am telling you.. India or Pakistan, its all mixed, accept for south India.

arre bhai .. India is vast. it is not easy to say who is gujjar and who is not. all mixed. He is a south Indian and not a gujjar, whole India knows.

and Gujjars have nothing to do with Punjabi culture... the term Gujjar came from Gau(cow) , care tackers of cow. Like Yadavs. They are gujjars.

Genetics of punjabi Gujjars and indian Yadavs are totally different, go check harappadna. Just having same profession does not make one race genetically equivalent to other.

But Gama family is not Gujjar neither punjabi gujjar nor kashmiri gujjar.

I am not talking about Gama, i know he is Butt. Just that nomadic gujjars don't look like punjabi gujjars, i would say they are most west asian looking indo-aryan group.

@Shabaz Sharif
@pehgaam e mohabbat
@Psycho Pakistani
you guys better stop trying to steal "the great gama"

Rajputs were formed as a result of the merging of the Hephthalites and the Gujjars with population from northwestern India

hmm i dont believe rajputs or gujjars were such late entrants to subcontinent. their local and traditional folklore doesnt mention anything of migration in ancient times, in fact i believe hindu rajputs still claim descent of certain dynasties or clans in the vedas. also this would mean they should have some very similar genetic make up as pashtuns (particularly durranis) whose origins are confirmed to be with hepthalite settlement of suleiman and hindu kush region, but that is not the case afaik.

its an indian source bro ask your indians not me

which half/? mothers side or fathers side? because we only use fathers side.
also i heard watts may be a clan on gujjars as well

Original Rajputs of Rajasthan are a result of mixture of different ruling clans of local Gujjars and south indian Rashtrakuta and Chola dynasties. It is not a matter of father or mother but mixing of clans. By the way the original gujjar homeland was Rajasthan/Gujrarat Areas next to Sindh. Nomadic gujjars in kashmir and afghanistan still speak a language that is described as a dialect of rajasthani language.

Genetics of punjabi Gujjars and indian Yadavs are totally different, go check harappadna. Just having same profession does not make once race genetically equivalent to other.

abey yadavs are not Gujars.. , yadavs are yadavs. occupation was same.

Gurjars are basically from Gujrat(India) Rajasthan

Gujrwanwala is a place in Punjab where gurjars settled. Gurjars Indian ho ya Pakistani, I can recognize them form face. they have filled up face and small eyes. big lips.

if they have started speaking punjabi then thats different issue.

i heard that too idk how or why lol.
they look like pathans to me
Kashmir-Gujjar.jpg

Bakitar_Gujar,_1984.jpg

IMG_2387.JPG

these are all supposedly gujjars, who knows
@Azlan Haider can shed light on this.
he is the PDF gujjar expert
I'm just a gujjar badmash

Yaar he is butt, otherwise why his family member would use butt surname?

This is lie, Gama family are kashmiri Butt, all their family uses Butt as surname.
The "Great" Gama (c. 1880 – May 22, 1963) also known as "Gama Pahelvan" (Urdu: گاما پھلوان‎) born Ghulam Muhammad (Urdu: غلام محمد‎), in Amritsar, Punjab, British India, was a renowned wrestler and practitioner of Pehlwani wrestling. Gama was a Punjabi Gujjar Muslim of ethnic Kashmiri origin. He was awarded the Indian version of the World Heavyweight Championship on October 15, 1910. Undefeated his whole life which was substantial, as his career had spanned more than 50 years. He has been billed as the greatest Pehlwani wrestler in history. After Independence in 1947, Gama moved to the newly created state of Pakistan.

Training and diet

Gama’s daily training, which in maturity consisted of grappling with forty of his fellow wrestlers in the court. He used to do five thousand bethaks (squats) and three thousand dands (pushups).[citation needed] Gama’s daily diet was six chickens or an extract of eleven pounds of mutton mixed with a quarter pound of clarified butter, ten liters of milk, a pound and a half of crushed almond paste made into a tonic drink along with fruit juice and other ingredients to promote good digestion. This expensive high fat, high energy, high everything diet helped him to survive.

NOTE..I can do 10 Push-ups

He lifted a 1200 kg stone at the age of 22 at Baroda and the stone is kept for display at Baroda Museum in Sayajibaug and it is two-and-a-half feet in height and has text inscribed on it. The text says that the stone was lifted by Gulaam Mohammed on December 23, 1902.[4] Gama was attending a wrestling competition at Baroda,but could not find a match and he lifted the 1200 kg stone upto his chest and carried a little distance.

The stone that has now been kept at Baroda Museum in Sayajibaug is two-and-a-half feet in height and has text inscribed on it. The text says that the stone was lifted by Gulaam Mohammed on December 23, 1902. Gama had visited the then Baroda state to attend a wrestling competition when he achieved the feat. He was the best wrestler in the country in those times and remained unbeaten till he died in 1960.
After the independence and partitioning of India in 1947, Gama moved to Pakistan. Although Gama did not retire until 1952, he failed to find any other opponents. After his retirement he trained his nephew Bholu Pahalwan, who held the Pakistani wrestling championship for almost 20 years.

i have punjab gujjar friends who are from kashmir but they punjabis and gujjars just like the game
gama was a gujjar he could have family married with butts or something so maybe thats why they use butt.

Back
Top Bottom