What's new

Punjab announces Urdu as medium of instruction at schools from next year

Phelay nokrian bana tou lein. Pakistan isn't getting out of the gutter in 5 years. And till then, language of instruction should remain English so that citizens and nationals who have trouble in domestic institutions can go abroad easily, and Pakistan doesn't have to have more burden or poverty.
Why China did not think about exporting its people by teaching them English, why they teach their children in their own mother tongue? Reason: They are mentally slaved like south asians especially a minority in Pakistan.
I know how speaking relatively better English is considered a status symbol in Pakistan. A good mathematician expert is nothing in Pakistan if he can't speak fluently. I also see Pakistanis forcing themselves to use difficult English words to impress others. This is the mental slavery which we need to get over.
We need good experts in science & technology and we cannot make our students until they have very good grasp of underlying concepts and for that they need to study in the national language. Ask any Swede, Fin, German, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, French, Polish, Russian, Chinese or any other developed nation this question and tell us the answer.

I think as long as Science and Maths are taught in English, other stuff like history, etc can be taught in Urdu/English

Government should ban the O-levels, A-levels bullsh*t-
People who pass these have better chances of doing higher education abroad if they choose to, I dont see a problem with those tests.

London is full of students from all over the world, I have met many. Almost all of them are educated in their own language. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and Easter Europeans.

They have no problem doing their university degrees in London in English. Absolutely none.

Sorry but your claim of "absolutely no" problem of foreign students doing their degree in English is false.

Since you mentioned Chinese, let me show a news from few months ago where Liverpool University were caught in controversy for sending reminders to their Chinese students who in the past were found cheating in exams and claimed to not understand the word cheating, so they sent an email reminding International students not to cheat, with a Chinese translation (so there wont be any excuses) and people accused them of racism

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...g-email-translation-controversy-a8732616.html

In another case, few months ago a Canadian college asked 400 Indian students to retake their English test that is required for admission

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...sts-after-niagara-college-flags-concerns.html

Education in many places in the world is a business (watch Cash Cow documentary done by Australia recently), China and India are the largest international students market for many colleges/universities, some places are willing to lower their own standards for these people to be admitted just so they get their money, the whole thing lowers the quality and experience for genuine good students

Because you're confused. Pakistanis are mentally slave so they cannot think beyond English. The day you get freedom from the mental slavery, you will progress and all your inferiority complexes and insecurities will end.
I don't know man.but these same kids will struggle in professional colleges and universities.one of my batchmate has his ssc from govt school and his English was weak.so he would always be at the receiving end of jokes.he always had a hard time delivering a presentation.i am not against the idea of converting to Urdu.i am just saying that while doing that it should be made sure that no ones future is destroyed.

Why China did not think about exporting its people by teaching them English, why they teach their children in their own mother tongue? Reason: They are mentally slaved like south asians especially a minority in Pakistan
I believe you meant "they are NOT mentally slaved"? If they feel that is the best for their people then it is good but by not teaching them English, a lot of Chinese students who go abroad to study ant communicate with others and are often just hanging with their own people instead of being able to mingle with others. Other students also find it difficult to work with such students when they cant communicate properly

We need good experts in science & technology and we cannot make our students until they have very good grasp of underlying concepts and for that they need to study in the national language. Ask any Swede, Fin, German, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, French, Polish, Russian, Chinese or any other developed nation this question and tell us the answer.
You got the first part correct, we need good experts in science & technology, for that, our students have to go to places where these skills are taught, and for that to happen they need to be able to communicate in the place they need to go, and if the students are willing, then contribute to our society by sharing the expertise they learnt. This is not a compromise on the national language but to understand that English is the medium of communication when it comes to these subjects (Science & Maths)

Let me quote Mahathir on this subject "
In his speech, Dr Mahathir, a 93-year old former medical doctor, said: "I would like to remind everybody, English is not only for the people of England. It is a universal language, a language of knowledge. To acquire knowledge, you must know English."

The Sun newspaper quoted him as saying: "To learn science and medicine, we need to have a good grasp of English."
"
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/s...s-not-enough-english-in-schools-says-mahathir

Last edited:
This is a great decision.

Children learn the best in their native language. Its a worldwide accepted rule for early age learning and parenting.

Pathetic decision..... instead of training our children to compete with the world and even the elite class within our country we will be training them to be a worker class with zero opportunities abroad and second-rate opportunities at home (after the elite class english speaking kids have had first dibbs)

Those saying other countries like Germany, France, Japan etc teach in their own languages, well what you lot are not understanding that these countries have spectacular higher education systems and their students do not have to go abroad to seek better learning. They can compete with the best of the best in the world while learning in their home country. The same is not true for Pakistan, our students even have to go to Malaysia, Greece, Turkey etc to get a better post-secondary education. If you don't teach them English how will they go? And the answer is not that we will teach them in Pakistan and retain our talent. My friends went to NED in Karachi they were being taught Quaid-e-Azam ke zamanay ki engineering with massive emphasis on rote learning.

I know what goes on when english is just taught as a subject. 90% of student will just learn the bare minimum need to pass the classes and won't even be fluent enough to hold a 2 minute conversation.

Also what pathetic reason given by Buzdar.... "it saves time in translation"..... oh khottay diya agli generation ka sawal hai tu time bacha raha hai. :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

This is what happens when a paindu matric pass is made CM. Big mistake by IK.

Those saying other countries like Germany, France, Japan etc teach in their own languages, well what you lot are not understanding that these countries have spectacular higher education systems and their students do not have to go abroad to seek better learning.
Yup, though there are people from those country who study abroad but I think a large part of them just do it for the 'international experience' and go as student on exchange, etc

Yup, though there are people from those country who study abroad but I think a large part of them just do it for the 'international experience' and go as student on exchange, etc
True.... also giving example of China is wrong since the Chinese government is making MASSIVE investments and teaching their children English. They have realized its importance.

As usual Pakistanis take 2 steps forward and 10 steps backwards all the while patting themselves on the back.

True.... also giving example of China is wrong since the Chinese government is making MASSIVE investments and teaching their children English. They have realized its importance.

As usual Pakistanis take 2 steps forward and 10 steps backwards all the while patting themselves on the back.
I just read the main post, so Buzdar did this to save time of translation from English to Urdu? what the heck does this even mean? what subjects is he referring to ? If something is supposed to be taught in Urdu then have the books in Urdu and similarly for English, if the students cant understand English and there is need for translation then make fixes into the way English is being taught instead of getting rid of it, what a dumb decision and justification

I don't know man.but these same kids will struggle in professional colleges and universities.one of my batchmate has his ssc from govt school and his English was weak.so he would always be at the receiving end of jokes.he always had a hard time delivering a presentation.i am not against the idea of converting to Urdu.i am just saying that while doing that it should be made sure that no ones future is destroyed.
Your posts is an evidence of the mental slavery of this nation. Why & how not being able to speak English means people make fun of someone? Simply because we are uncivilised & mental slaves who are suffering from perpetual inferiority complex.

Xenophobic attitude. And what I am going to write below is going to irk some people. So be it.

People of the Sub-continent have a Huuuuge advantage over the non-Anglo poorer countries because of English. Indeed, India's penetration into America has a LOT to do with the language advantage. Similarly, I have seen tourists coming to even Pakistan and praising that English is so widely spoken in Pakistan, which makes it much easier for them. Tourists try going to Latin America or Turkey to see the difference, for example.

The reality is that America-led Anglo world is the dominant medium of interaction in the world and English language forms the backbone of that interaction. English IS the global language of the world. Just when the Chinese are busy neutralizing their accent (you know-- 'R' as 'L' etc) and paying quite a lot of money to learn English, Pakistanis want to go backward? Have we not seen that the English-medium students have the advantage in Pakistan?

I think giving due importance to English won't kill off Urdu language. Urdu is the binding language of Pakistan and will remain so. And just speaking English won't make some one a 'Brown English'. A language is just another human inheritance, just like culture, music, and art is.

Why China did not think about exporting its people by teaching them English, why they teach their children in their own mother tongue? Reason: They are mentally slaved like south asians especially a minority in Pakistan.
I know how speaking relatively better English is considered a status symbol in Pakistan. A good mathematician expert is nothing in Pakistan if he can't speak fluently. I also see Pakistanis forcing themselves to use difficult English words to impress others. This is the mental slavery which we need to get over.

Not interested in arguing with a guy who lives in Sweden and has Swedish citizenship, talks in English, can't read Urdu script, and thinks he can argue on this topic.

My answer has the answer to your questions but you didn't bother to read, like 99% of the time.

Your posts is an evidence of the mental slavery of this nation. Why & how not being able to speak English means people make fun of someone? Simply because we are uncivilised & mental slaves who are suffering from perpetual inferiority complex.
Sir you think IK would have had such a successful US trip if had studied in Urdu medium from a government college?

Nope, you got it all wrong. Chinese govt is teaching English as language..not as a medium of instruction... there's a huge difference which our stunted growth have not been able to understand. I posted in my very first post on this thread

Excellent decision. Here in Sweden, English is taught at as a language in secondary/higher secondary schools and not used as a medium of instruction and still they speak English with near native fluency and accent.

However, it won't be effective we still have private English medium schools so all the schools must follow the same system.
But Sweden does not use English as medium of instruction...all schooling (Gymnasium i.e. till grade 12) is in Swedish, all degrees (3, 5 years programs) are in Swedish.. thus all Drs and Engineers learn everything in Swedish but they learn English as language in high school and they speak better English in near native accent.
Only a few master programs are taught both in Swedish and English (most are in Swedish only).
If two Swedes are talking to each other, they always use Swedish.. you won't be able to hear a single English word.

I just read the main post, so Buzdar did this to save time of translation from English to Urdu? what the heck does this even mean? what subjects is he referring to ? If something is supposed to be taught in Urdu then have the books in Urdu and similarly for English, if the students cant understand English and there is need for translation then make fixes into the way English is being taught instead of getting rid of it, what a dumb decision and justification
This is what I'm most pissed about.... this duffer is giving time saved during translation as the reason for switching. :hitwall:

Back
Top Bottom