What's new

Punjab announces Urdu as medium of instruction at schools from next year

ISLAMABAD: Punjab government plans to say goodbye to English at primary school level and introduce national language, Urdu, as medium of instruction from next academic year i.e. March 2020.

This was announced by provincial Chief Minister Sardar Usman Khan Buzdar on Saturday in a social media post.

Buzdar took to Twitter to explain learning in Urdu language would save the time of teachers as well as students as earlier teachers used to translate various topics from English to Urdu.

Much of their time was thus wasted in translation instead of comprehension as the current medium of instruction is English.

As a result, the pupils fail to learn anything new, he added.

Buzdar further revealed that a survey was conducted by school education department of the province in 22 districts of Punjab.

A large number of teachers, parents and students were asked what in their view should be the medium of learning at schools.

Over 85 per cent were of the opinion that Urdu should be medium of instruction instead of English at schools.

So he said that from next March the medium of instruction in primary schools of Punjab will be Urdu. But English will still be taught as a language.

In the past, Pakistan has seen debates over medium of instruction at schools, colleges and university level.

Two months ago, Senate of Pakistan also passed a resolution recommending the candidates appearing for the country’s Central Superior Services (CSS) exams be allowed to attempt questions in Urdu as well.

On May 14, 2019, Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) Amir Sirajul Haq moved the resolution in the Upper House, demanding that the CSS exams be taken in Urdu.

He said that China, Japan and other countries developed because of the use of their national language in exams. “We can also progress by holding the CSS exams in Urdu,” he opined.

Sirajul Haq said only five per cent of candidates could pass compulsory subjects.

[iframe height="250" width="300" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" allowtransparency="" scrolling="no" class="i-amphtml-fill-content" referrerpolicy="unsafe-url" id="google_ads_iframe_3" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: auto; display: block; height: 250px; max-height: 100%; max-width: 100%; min-height: 0px; min-width: 0px; width: 300px; transform: translate(-50%, -50%); top: 0px; left: 0px; position: absolute; bottom: 0px; right: 0px; border-width: 0px !important; border-style: initial !important; padding: 0px !important;"]
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ali Muhammad Khan said the CSS exam consisted of six compulsory subjects and 45 optional, and added that all compulsory subjects were taught in English language at universities.

He supported Siraj’s resolution and said the CSS aspirants should be allowed to take their exams in the language of their choice.

Towards the end of the debate, the Senate adopted a resolution with an amendment that Urdu be added as an optional language in the exams alongside English.
Good news.

I am.not an expert.but will it guarantee that these kids be able to compete tomorrow with other children.my medium of learning has always been English but still I am unable to speak fluently with my 5th grader nephew whoz in beaconhouse.you give them a little relaxation in CSS but what if they wanna go abroad???
Because you're confused. Pakistanis are mentally slave so they cannot think beyond English. The day you get freedom from the mental slavery, you will progress and all your inferiority complexes and insecurities will end.

Punjabi departments of different government colleges often campaign for to adopt Punjabi language as medium of education and here all of you are crying for English
Now the question will be raise which Punjabi dialect. We have few heavy weight Punjabi dialect and there supporter. Better stick with Urdu. Urdu is binding factor among all cultures of Pakistan.

not a good news . we have to use english to sharp the skills of our children so that they compete with the world

I have worked in the field of education, community and youth work in UK. I have met many families that came from Pakistan and have struggled to integrate into British society because parents have struggled to communicate in English as it was never taught to them in Pakistan. We are many years behind other south Asians.

Because you're confused. Pakistanis are mentally slave so they cannot think beyond English. The day you get freedom from the mental slavery, you will progress and all your inferiority complexes and insecurities will end.

Like I said, don't think through an emotive lens but through a logical one.

We have a large population, one of the highest youth population among countries. The market in many fields is already saturated, and you don't have the same quality in the fields as abroad for research.

In contrast, countries like Germany, Sweden, Korea and Japan, have amazing higher education and are well ahead in many technical fields. Their students don't have the need to go abroad, so for them English is not important.

For Pakistan, students have to go abroad for reasons I gave above. There are not enough seats, job opportunities, or quality in many fields. For education or work abroad, you must know English.

I am all for having our national language as the medium of instruction, but not yet... Maybe in 30 or 40 years if we continue to progress and our heavy reliance on foreign nations for education, technology and jobs, comes to a significant stop.

You do that right now, you are setting up for disaster. Learning a new language is really difficult, I think you living in Sweden would know. And going abroad is already as complex and difficult as it is... we don't need to make it any more complicated. Otherwise we are making it way more difficult for students than it already is.

More than anything, we as a developing nation desperately need partnerships and joint programmes, and language barrier can have a huge effect here. It reminds me of a Mongolian research program where they collaborated with both Russian and American scientists in the field of Agricultural Sciences, they had the issue of language barrier with Russians and so Americans proved to be more useful and informational to them.

London is full of students from all over the world, I have met many. Almost all of them are educated in their own language. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and Easter Europeans.

They have no problem doing their university degrees in London in English. Absolutely none.

That's because they are the very few from millions, who learned English for studying abroad. They don't go and sit in lectures not knowing English.

I would like you to check for yourself how many students from Eastern European countries, and China, Japan, and Korea go abroad for education. Then I want you to understand why.

1. English is not the medium of instruction. Learning a new language is very difficult.
2. But then again, most students don't have to because these countries can provide their students with seats, job opportunities, and most fields. This, however, isn't true for some Eastern European states which is why they are such a shitty place to be.

Like I said, don't think through an emotive lens but through a logical one.

We have a large population, one of the highest youth population among countries. The market in many fields is already saturated, and you don't have the same quality in the fields as abroad for research.

In contrast, countries like Germany, Sweden, Korea and Japan, have amazing higher education and are well ahead in many technical fields. Their students don't have the need to go abroad, so for them English is not important.

For Pakistan, students have to go abroad for reasons I gave above. There are not enough seats, job opportunities, or quality in many fields. For education or work abroad, you must know English.

I am all for having our national language as the medium of instruction, but not yet... Maybe in 30 or 40 years if we continue to progress and our heavy reliance on foreign nations for education, technology and jobs, comes to a significant stop.

You do that right now, you are setting up for disaster. Learning a new language is really difficult, I think you living in Sweden would know. And going abroad is already as complex and difficult as it is... we don't need to make it any more complicated. Otherwise we are making it way more difficult for students than it already is.

More than anything, we as a developing nation desperately need partnerships and joint programmes, and language barrier can have a huge effect here. It reminds me of a Mongolian research program where they collaborated with both Russian and American scientists in the field of Agricultural Sciences, they had the issue of language barrier with Russians and so Americans proved to be more useful and informational to them.
Mate, if you read through my posts, you'll find answers to some of your questions. No use of repeating the same stuff over & over again.

For education or work abroad

This needs to be changed exporting people for easy dollars
Imran Khan used to say log Pakistan main nokrian dhondnay ayain ga

And one more thing you people don't know is most of Pakistani teachers can't teach in English and it's one of the major reasons for not having English as medium of education

This needs to be changed exporting people for easy dollars
Imran Khan used to say log Pakistan main nokrian dhondnay ayain ga

And one more thing you people don't know most of Pakistani teachers can't teach in English and it's one of the major reasons for not having English as medium of education

Phelay nokrian bana tou lein. Pakistan isn't getting out of the gutter in 5 years. And till then, language of instruction should remain English so that citizens and nationals who have trouble in domestic institutions can go abroad easily, and Pakistan doesn't have to have more burden or poverty.

language of instruction should remain English

Language of education is Urdu since always government experimented by making few schools English medium but it didn't worked
Medium of education never was English it is taught as a subject from nursery to bachelors
But science subjects from class 11 are in English

English is used as a global language. One of the reasons as to why Pakistan is not successful in its media campaigns is because it is not able to convey it's message in English to an international audience unlike India which is racing ahead. Wrong decision by the government in my opinion.
Entirely agree with you. We just can't get past the colonial sourness. That is the past. Stop discharging your hurt pride or inferiority complex by the 'angrez' angle to everything.

The fact is English today is global language. It is the language of international trade. One of the reasons India has done so well on the IT front is it had huge pool who were also English proficent. Doing anything to diminish English is merely reducing your key to the world.

ISLAMABAD: Punjab government plans to say goodbye to English at primary school level and introduce national language, Urdu, as medium of instruction from next academic year i.e. March 2020.

This was announced by provincial Chief Minister Sardar Usman Khan Buzdar on Saturday in a social media post.

Buzdar took to Twitter to explain learning in Urdu language would save the time of teachers as well as students as earlier teachers used to translate various topics from English to Urdu.

Much of their time was thus wasted in translation instead of comprehension as the current medium of instruction is English.

As a result, the pupils fail to learn anything new, he added.

Buzdar further revealed that a survey was conducted by school education department of the province in 22 districts of Punjab.

A large number of teachers, parents and students were asked what in their view should be the medium of learning at schools.

Over 85 per cent were of the opinion that Urdu should be medium of instruction instead of English at schools.

So he said that from next March the medium of instruction in primary schools of Punjab will be Urdu. But English will still be taught as a language.

In the past, Pakistan has seen debates over medium of instruction at schools, colleges and university level.

Two months ago, Senate of Pakistan also passed a resolution recommending the candidates appearing for the country’s Central Superior Services (CSS) exams be allowed to attempt questions in Urdu as well.

On May 14, 2019, Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) Amir Sirajul Haq moved the resolution in the Upper House, demanding that the CSS exams be taken in Urdu.

He said that China, Japan and other countries developed because of the use of their national language in exams. “We can also progress by holding the CSS exams in Urdu,” he opined.

Sirajul Haq said only five per cent of candidates could pass compulsory subjects.

[iframe height="250" width="300" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" allowtransparency="" scrolling="no" class="i-amphtml-fill-content" referrerpolicy="unsafe-url" id="google_ads_iframe_3" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: auto; display: block; height: 250px; max-height: 100%; max-width: 100%; min-height: 0px; min-width: 0px; width: 300px; transform: translate(-50%, -50%); top: 0px; left: 0px; position: absolute; bottom: 0px; right: 0px; border-width: 0px !important; border-style: initial !important; padding: 0px !important;"]
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ali Muhammad Khan said the CSS exam consisted of six compulsory subjects and 45 optional, and added that all compulsory subjects were taught in English language at universities.

He supported Siraj’s resolution and said the CSS aspirants should be allowed to take their exams in the language of their choice.

Towards the end of the debate, the Senate adopted a resolution with an amendment that Urdu be added as an optional language in the exams alongside English.
Punjabi is the language of punjab !!

Good way of diverting people attention from the shitty handling of economy to a new lollipop of urdu medium English medium and why not punjabi medium debut

Government should ban the O-levels, A-levels bullsh*t----and implement an advanced, well-thoughout Pakistani national curriculum across the board. The curriculum should be designed to make our work force competitive in terms of technical skills and at the same time smartly projects Pakistani narrative and interests, as all nations in the world do.

Currently, our matric curriculum is too outdated and O-levels/A-levels is literally making students 'Brown' angraiz...
Instead of banning O and A level. Government should convert government schools to o and a level

Back
Top Bottom