What's new

Punjab announces Urdu as medium of instruction at schools from next year

White people get on fine without English, only taught as a foreign language.

It's called an inferiority complex.

For countries like Pakistan which is reliant on other nations for quality higher education, and better technical fields, English is very important.

I can see the reason behind this decision, but they need to see why it's there in the first place.

Nations like Sweden, Germany, Japan and Korea get on just fine because they have an amazing higher education system and an advanced technical industry internally, so the students don't require English. Pakistan doesn't have that, the market is saturated, quality is missing in many fields, students need to go abroad, and so English is very important. You are going to make it times upon times more complicated.

I wish people could see it from a technical and logical lens instead of through an emotive lens.

For countries like Pakistan which is reliant on other nations for quality higher education, and better technical fields, English is very important.

I can see the reason behind this decision, but they need to see why it's there in the first place.

Nations like Sweden, Germany, Japan and Korea get on just fine because they have an amazing higher education system and an advanced technical industry internally, so the students don't require English. Pakistan doesn't have that, the market is saturated, quality is missing in many fields, students need to go abroad, and so English is very important. You are going to make it times upon times more complicated.

I wish people could see it from a technical and logical lens instead of through an emotive lens.

London is full of students from all over the world, I have met many. Almost all of them are educated in their own language. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and Easter Europeans.

They have no problem doing their university degrees in London in English. Absolutely none.

Government should ban the O-levels, A-levels bullsh*t----and implement an advanced, well-thoughout Pakistani national curriculum across the board. The curriculum should be designed to make our work force competitive in terms of technical skills and at the same time smartly projects Pakistani narrative and interests, as all nations in the world do.

Currently, our matric curriculum is too outdated and O-levels/A-levels is literally making students 'Brown' angraiz...
This reflects poorly on the nation that it can't even evolve our own curriculum even 70 years post independence. We talk about identity, sovereignty and integrity while we can't even have our own education system. BTW O-, A-levels are really low rate in the world, if you have to copy then go for the top educational system like Finland or Scandinavia, South Korea, China, Japan etc or some US schools

Here's the issue people here sitting abroad don't understand.

The Pakistani national curriculum is horrible. It is the epitome of rote learning. Many universities abroad don't favor it or have set a very high standard for it ( i.e. 90% ), and some don't even recognize it and require students to attend a foundational year.

A Levels is not about "brown angraiz," the level of education and the purpose of its curriculum is well thought out and is refreshed with the changing world. There is no corruption, cheating and there is a high standard.

You won't find that in the current Pakistani system.

If you want to improve your education system, start by actually making it work, not by eliminating those actually work so you have nothing to compete against it.

Thanks.

I know about the drawbacks of our current system. That's why I wrote my first line.

O-level, A-levels still suck and create a two-tier system in Pakistan.....which is very, very bad for national unity. They need to go. But you are right, we need to develop our own, upto-world-standard curriculum first.

I'd rather they pilot several different iterations of curriculum and test the differences over a period of 3 years. KPI's should be well defined to see which iteration is working best; work on it and improve it.

upto-world-standard curriculum first.

What is world standard curriculum here our teachers are not inventing some desi science they are teaching whatever is taught in other countries
Maybe you mean degree system which is different from western countries and maybe due to this those people who go to the western countries face difficulties but we have no problem with this system

What is world standard curriculum here our teachers are not inventing some desi science they are teaching whatever is taught in other countries
Maybe you mean degree system which is different from western countries and maybe due to this those people who go to the western countries face difficulties but we have no problem with this system

Why so defensive?

Pakistan's mathematics and science textbooks are awfully outdated. Children still learn about floppy discs in their computer classes :lol:

The most importantly, the method of teaching and examinations is atleast 300 years old. That needs to be changed and a reformed system needs to be adopted that stays true to our cultural roots and Muslim identity, but also is upto mark with modern world. Easier said than done, however.

Back
Top Bottom