What's new

Punjab announces Urdu as medium of instruction at schools from next year

Sir you think IK would have had such a successful US trip if had studied in Urdu medium from a government college?
Read my post bro, I just replied

Not interested in arguing with a guy who lives in Sweden and has Swedish citizenship, talks in English, can't read Urdu script, and thinks he can argue on this topic.

My answer has the answer to your questions but you didn't bother to read, like 99% of the time.
That's your ignorance, I know how to read and write in both Urdu and Arabic scripts. Again I would say.. read my post and do not get emotional and angry.. if you have mangoes in the fridge, do eat them :)

This is not practical , here also parents wants to their children to speak in English. This will only make the poor children who have no option to go to government schools to be left out.

When they grow up they will lag behind in every field cause the English speaking kids will get the jobs , cause in India and Pakistan we consider The English speaking person to be Very intelligent.

This will increase the divide , rich kids speaks english poor kids urdu.

Te Punjabi/ urdu bolan waale nu appa anpadh ja pendu kehande a.

Not really. It doesn't say English will not be taught as a language, rather it won't be the medium of instruction.

Not really. It doesn't say English will not be taught as a language, rather it won't be the medium of instruction.
Exactly, that's what I have been saying since my first post on this thread.
I don't know what part of it our stunted growths are unable to process. I have been repeating it in my posts that English should be taught as separate language but not used as medium of instruction but it seems that the malnutrition has done some pretty severe damage to the comprehension skills of our members.

Exactly, that's what I have been saying since my first post on this thread.
I don't know what part of it our stunted growths are unable to process. I have been repeating it in my posts that English should be taught as separate language but not used as medium of instruction but it seems that the malnutrition has done some pretty severe damage to the comprehension skills of our members.

If these people had learnt comprehension in urdu, they would have been able to convert the understanding to English.

This is what I'm most pissed about.... this duffer is giving time saved during translation as the reason for switching. :hitwall:
All science text books should be written in Urdu. Why do we need to translate. Do we not have some professors in various sciences who can author text books in Urdu for high schools, colleges and universities?

Sorry but your claim of "absolutely no" problem of foreign students doing their degree in English is false.

Wrong. I live near an engineering university that is full of mainly Korean students. You think they all come and fail their degrees, and keep coming back?
Infront of my eyes, foreigners come here and work as waiters or cleaners for 6 months, then their English is good enough for any course.

All this happens infront of my eyes. In every single country whose skin colour is white, they are educated in their own language up to university level. Any requirement for English is taken care off by teaching English as a foreign language.

Your posts is an evidence of the mental slavery of this nation. Why & how not being able to speak English means people make fun of someone? Simply because we are uncivilised & mental slaves who are suffering from perpetual inferiority complex.

You have hit the nail on the head. All this talk of 'English is the language education' is based on a deep inferiority complex, a slave mentality.

I don't know man.but these same kids will struggle in professional colleges and universities.one of my batchmate has his ssc from govt school and his English was weak.so he would always be at the receiving end of jokes.he always had a hard time delivering a presentation.i am not against the idea of converting to Urdu.i am just saying that while doing that it should be made sure that no ones future is destroyed.

Why on earth does he have to study or give a presentation in English? Nobody in Europe has to.
How many times have you heard the Pakistani comment ' he is so jahil he doesn't speak English'? Do you know how many times I have heard this is Europe? Not once.

If these people had learnt comprehension in urdu, they would have been able to convert the understanding to English.
Yaar it is so disappointing to see the level of mediocrity and slavery.. I mean, check their arguments
  • Science subjects can only be taught in English ( I ask them to go and tell this to a German student and he will either laugh or slap the questioner)
  • Scientific books will need to be translated (so a few translators cannot be hired but let's force millions of people to learn science in a language they can barely understand and by the way why do we need to translate, do we not have professors who can author science books in Urdu? )
  • They won't be able to compete with other students ( which other students?, everyone has to follow the same system)

Really, I think the whole nation needs psychological evaluation and treatment to get over this inferiority complex

Yaar it is so disappointing to see the level of mediocrity and slavery.. I mean, check their arguments
  • Science subjects can only be taught in English ( I ask them to go and tell this to a German student and he will either laugh or slap the questioner)
  • Scientific books will need to be translated (so a few translators cannot be hired but let's force millions of people to learn science in a language they can barely understand and by the way why do we need to translate, do we not have professors who can author science books in Urdu? )
  • They won't be able to compete with other students ( which other students?, everyone has to follow the same system)

Really, I think the whole nation needs psychological evaluation and treatment to get over this inferiority complex

Yes, rather than translate one book into urdu, force a millions of students to learn English!
Also, by now a lot of the books would be written by Pakistani academics; who write in English so their own students can't understand them ! Brain damage or what!

Wrong. I live near an engineering university that is full of mainly Korean students. You think they all come and fail their degrees, and keep coming back?
Infront of my eyes, foreigners come here and work as waiters or cleaners for 6 months, then their English is good enough for any course.
I was pointing out the fact that you said there "absolutely none" regarding the problems people from various countries (including China), by giving you examples of the problems that exist.

I was pointing out the fact that you said there "absolutely none" regarding the problems people from various countries (including China), by giving you examples of the problems that exist.

Ok. Point taken.

All this happens infront of my eyes. In every single country whose skin colour is white, they are educated in their own language up to university level. Any requirement for English is taken care off by teaching English as a foreign language.

You have hit the nail on the head. All this talk of 'English is the language education' is based on a deep inferiority complex, a slave mentality.

Why on earth does he have to study or give a presentation in English? Nobody in Europe has to.
How many times have you heard the Pakistani comment ' he is so jahil he doesn't speak English'? Do you know how many times I have heard this is Europe? Not once.

Bro, it is so strange that overseas Pakistani are advocating for Urdu as a medium of instructions. How does it affect me living in US/Sweden or others living in UK/Canada/Australia.
I could speak Urdu but I learnt how to read & write in Urdu later in my life and I love it.
I tell you a few examples from Swedish that how terms are formed Rollercoaster is "Dal och berg bana" literally means "valley & hill train". The purpose is to tell you that how they form new terms in their own language instead of using English or any other foreign language.

Actually teachers and students talk with each other in Punjabi

Indeed, the language of books doesn't matter much, we also used to use punjabi language freely with our teachers in schools and even in college during very advanced topics being taught like Physics, Chemistry, Math etc.

I remember our Chemistry professor in Gujranwala college in FSc used to teach us Chemistry in "Punjabi" language eventhough all our notes were in "English" language. So how to prepare "HCl gas", our professor used to say,

"Aik Flash lawo, uday che loon (NaCl) pao, the uday baad uday vaich H2SO4 mix kar deyo, ais mixture nu saika diyo, tay thori dair baad HCl gas chaalan mardi baar aye gi " :lol::lol::lol:.

It really doesn't matter whether the text of books is in english or urdu, teacher is not bound to use "english" or "urdu" language to explain the content in the book. And as we know Punjabi is far more closer to Urdu language than to English language, so it make sense to have text books for primary schools and even secondary schools in urdu language, but teachers should be given a free choice to opt their own mother language be it punjabi, saraiki, hindko , pothohari etc. to explain the content of the books if the they feel that the children understand the content better if it is explained in punjabi/saraiki/hindko/pothohari (depending on their area in punjab) than using urdu language.

Last edited:
NUML university students are from Urdu medium schools. All they do is foundation course in English and have 50%+ first class scoring of Bradford University degrees (marked by British examiners). These results are way higher than British students!

So it's BS anyone suggesting that this is a bad idea. English is an easy language to learn for business communication with the world if one has learnt it during the 11 school years.

No we learn from black and white boards and books are not outdated

I studied physics at master level from pakistan and then from Germany too, I don't think they taught me any "outdated" or "wrong" physics in Pakistan than Germany. Physics/Chemistry/Math remain same whether you study them in Pakistan or Germany or any other country of the world. The only difference is that Germany is an advanced economy so they include more advanced topics as "optional" courses within Physics degrees but the "core/mandatory" courses are same all over the world including Pakistan.

The only problem I noticed is that we study too much theory but do too little practical research in the subject. Here in Germany it is opposite, they do too much practical research, but the reason is that they can afford expensive state of the art advanced experimental setups and logistics required to do the research in Physics etc. We in Pakistan don't do it because our universities lack the advanced experimental setups required for the kind of research that is done in countries like Germany, France or USA.

Last edited:
Bro, it is so strange that overseas Pakistani are advocating for Urdu as a medium of instructions. How does it affect me living in US/Sweden or others living in UK/Canada/Australia.
I could speak Urdu but I learnt how to read & write in Urdu later in my life and I love it.
I tell you a few examples from Swedish that how terms are formed Rollercoaster is "Dal och berg bana" literally means "valley & hill train". The purpose is to tell you that how they form new terms in their own language instead of using English or any other foreign language.

In Pakistan we had an acquaintance who was 'kala angrez' to the core. He would always talk to us in english, and like a lot of Pakistanis worshipped the language. Not my cup of tea, but he was helpful so we hung out with him. He then came to do a tour of Europe and ended up at our house in London, his first trip outside Pakistan.

I remember vividly when he said to me with absolute honesty ' You know, it's only when we leave Pakistan do we realize how much we are still slaves of the British.'

As they say, travel broadens the mind.:yes4:

Back
Top Bottom