What's new

Punjab announces Urdu as medium of instruction at schools from next year

Excellent decision. Here in Sweden, English is taught at as a language in secondary/higher secondary schools and not used as a medium of instruction and still they speak English with near native fluency and accent.

However, it won't be effective we still have private English medium schools so all the schools must follow the same system.

Pakistani accent gets messed up at primary level due to exposure to not well educated and well experienced teachers, most of whom teach to earn money but not because they like teaching as a profession.
When English is only taught at university level, the accent become proper.
Try to hear English from the generation of 60's and 70's and compare them with the later ones after English became the medium at the primary level.

Pakistani accent gets messed up at primary level due to exposure to not well educated

Pashtun kids who were born here despite living all life with us here in Punjab they speak Punjabi with strong accent and sometimes it's difficult for us to understand them you just can't easily master other languages
Punjabi and pashtu one language is from East of Indus and other from West of Indus and they despite living here can't speak properly and you expect Pakistanis to speak a totally different language only by studying in school

Pashtun kids who were born here despite living all life with us here in Punjab they speak Punjabi with strong accent and sometimes it's difficult for us to understand them you just can't easily master other languages
Punjabi and pashtu one language is from East of Indus and other from West of Indus and they despite living here can't speak properly and you expect Pakistanis to speak a totally different language only by studying in school

The whole world does, are Pakistanis any less or different?

The whole world does, are Pakistanis any less or different?

I have given you an example how a pashtun despite living all his life in Punjabi speaking environment can't speak properly than how can a Pakistani speak a language from thousands of miles away

I have given you an example how a pashtun despite living all his life in Punjabi speaking environment can't speak properly than how can a Pakistani speak a language from thousands of miles away

Because English is easy and the whole world studies and learns and speaks.
Punjabi and Pashto are two of the hardest languages for a non native speaker.
I come from Potowhar, yet I have a hard time speaking Punjabi or even dialects of Potowhari that are spoken outside what I heard at home.
I speak an urdu accent that is not purely restricted to where I come from.
And speak a native North American accent due to exposure to the internet, games, and all my friends belonging to English native countries since childhood, and due to me being an extreme introvert and avoiding social interactions in general. The only difference is my English learning and speaking happened before and outside school hence I never took the stupid accent of most of the primary teachers in Pakistani schools.

Does that make me any special or different?

Wrong. I live near an engineering university that is full of mainly Korean students. You think they all come and fail their degrees, and keep coming back?
Infront of my eyes, foreigners come here and work as waiters or cleaners for 6 months, then their English is good enough for any course.

All this happens infront of my eyes. In every single country whose skin colour is white, they are educated in their own language up to university level. Any requirement for English is taken care off by teaching English as a foreign language.

You have hit the nail on the head. All this talk of 'English is the language education' is based on a deep inferiority complex, a slave mentality.

Why on earth does he have to study or give a presentation in English? Nobody in Europe has to.
How many times have you heard the Pakistani comment ' he is so jahil he doesn't speak English'? Do you know how many times I have heard this is Europe? Not once.
sorry I know nothing of this world and this country and how it works coz I was just born today and have seen nothing

Those are murky grounds why should a Murree wala learn dialect of Lahore?
Every 70 km the dialect changes a lot. Then you have to have books written in Punjabi, Seraiki, Hindko, Potohari etc,..so it will be really difficult. But Urdu is the nation language and all can understand it and are supposed to use it later in their lives as official language.

Dont make any sense . Urdu is already a compulsory subject in school and translating science subject into URDU is very silly task. I am saying this because I have studied mathematics in URDU and what's the point of studying science and arts subjects in URDU when you are going to study all these subjects in English at college and University level ? If you are copying Chinese and German then they have higher education and research in native languages as well.
Well, that's the whole point. Urdu should be medium of instruction all levels including universities. As per members, schools are already Urdu medium but only grade 11 & 12 for science are in English.

Well, that's the whole point. Urdu should be medium of instruction all levels including universities. As per members, schools are already Urdu medium but only grade 11 & 12 for science are in English.
Its in English for a reason i.e all knowledge and research in science, philosophy and arts is only available in English. When knowledge was available in Arabic and Persian during Golden period of Islam then even westerners used to learn Arabic to gain knowledge about different subjects but now its English which is language of Knowledge/Buisnesse in modern world. Most English scientific terms have no meaning in Urdu. You would need to invent new Urdu words to teach complex subject of computer, science and Engineering. You need English for as basic thing as surfing internet or email. How much contents are available in urdu on internet?

Its in English for a reason i.e all knowledge and research in science, philosophy and arts is only available in English. When knowledge was available in Arabic and Persian during Golden period of Islam then even westerners used to learn Arabic to gain knowledge about different subjects but now its English which is language of Knowledge in modern world. Most English scientific terms have no meaning in Urdu. You would need to invent new Urdu words to teach complex subject of computer, science and Engineering. You need English for as basic thing as surfing internet or email. How much contents are available in urdu
Tell this to a German, Swede or member of any self-respecting developed nation and brace yourself for a slap in the face

Tell this to a German, Swede or member of any self-respecting developed nation and brace yourself for a slap in the face
Urdu is modern languages as compare to German, Swedish, Dutch etc. Dont compare apple with orange. These countries made inventions in science and technology. You have few Pakistsni scientists who are all foreign qualified..even our national poet Iqbal and founder Quiad went England for higher education. Most Pakistani old educational institution were built by goraaz

Urdu is modern languages as compare to German, Swedish, Dutch etc. Dont compare apple with orange. These countries made inventions in science and technology. You have few Pakistsni scientists who are all foreign qualified..even our national poet Iqbal and founder Quiad went England for higher education. Most Pakistani old educational institution were built by goraaz
I think you missed the point by miles. Anyways, I have answered it already in multiple posts on this thread. So need for me explain again.

Dont make any sense . Urdu is already a compulsory subject in school and translating science subject into URDU is very silly task. I am saying this because I have studied mathematics in URDU and what's the point of studying science and arts subjects in URDU when you are going to study all these subjects in English at college and University level ? If you are copying Chinese and German then they have higher education and research in native languages as well.
Exactly...A poorly attempt to copy something without understanding .....

It is nothing to do with self respect and please mind the language.

German and swede have had their education system in their language for a very long time with even French having established new words for scientific words and each has invented things and have active scribes who translated discoveries into their languages....This is an established system...which makes it work...dumping kids from Urdu to English and back and forth isn't helping our already lacking inventors of a nation.

Plus it serves absolutely no purpose since he it Urdu or English....The system is still rote learning....fixing that should have been the key focus.

When brainless are your leaders, they treat you as genie pigs and perform every dirty experiment on you.
Since 1947, Pakistan is a lab for every new coming leader.

So how a simple chemical equation would be written in Urdu and from where they would bring all the scientific names just in one year ?

I think you missed the point by miles. Anyways, I have answered it already in multiple posts on this thread. So need for me explain again.
Exactly that's the point. People on this forum don't understand you, but don't worry my dear, I understand you completely.

Yaar it is so disappointing to see the level of mediocrity and slavery.. I mean, check their arguments
  • Science subjects can only be taught in English ( I ask them to go and tell this to a German student and he will either laugh or slap the questioner)
  • Scientific books will need to be translated (so a few translators cannot be hired but let's force millions of people to learn science in a language they can barely understand and by the way why do we need to translate, do we not have professors who can author science books in Urdu? )
  • They won't be able to compete with other students ( which other students?, everyone has to follow the same system)

Really, I think the whole nation needs psychological evaluation and treatment to get over this inferiority complex

It's nuts. I grew up in the UK and at the point I started school I knew very little English. My parents were both Pakistani, mum did not speak it, dad was at work. My school was in a minority area so i picked it up very quickly - to a point where today its my preferred language for communication and education. I did well at school, went to uni, got a degree etc.

I'm from a big family, my younger siblings they learnt English from us older ones before they started school. They had a clear head start. They've achieved much more academically. It wasn't just the early years knowledge of English, but the fact they had access to elder siblings who could help explain the homework - help review and critique assignments.

Now think about Pakistani kids and parents. Urdu might not be everyone's mother tongue, but most will understand it (at least in punjab). Thier parents will also understand the books, help explain the content. It will benefit students immensely.

I would go as far as to say if your class speaks another language, the teacher should also explain the content in thier mother tongue to help people understand.

Back
Top Bottom