What's new

PTI government failed to protect DI Khan jail despite intelligence warning

DI KHAN: Around 150 heavily armed Taliban militants freed 248 prisoners, including more than 49 hardcore militants, some belonging to the TTP and Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, during a sophisticated attack on the high-security Dera Ismail Khan Central Jail in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.

Armed with guns, mortars, rocket-propelled grenades and bombs, the attackers bombarded the prison before escaping with the inmates after a three-hour shootout.

An official of the district police told The Express Tribune that “around 248 prisoners escaped from the jail, including 49 high-profile militants, six death row prisoners and five females”.
Inspector General Police (Prisons) Khalid Abbas told The Express Tribune that the terrorists stormed the jail around midnight Monday.

“They were armed with RPG-7 anti-tank rockets, heavy and medium machine guns and automatic rifles,” he said, adding that the attackers were also equipped with improvised explosive devices and attacked the building in two groups.

Explaining further, Abbas said they first severed the electric supply to the prison and proceeded to fire rockets at the main gate, breaking it down.

“One group destroyed an armoured personnel carrier parked outside the main building killing three policemen inside the APC and then they forced their way into the jail despite the resistance of policemen deployed to protect it.

“The jail’s policemen were heavily outnumbered so the militants managed to overpower them,” he added.

They then proceeded to break the locks of the barracks and fired at least 65 rockets and grenades into the premises to reach the part of the prison where their men were locked up.
According to police officers, the militants called out the names of their colleagues through a megaphone once they entered the building and told them to come out of their cells.

In the ambush, 12 people, including five policemen were killed and 13 others were injured. The attackers also reportedly took away a female constable, Ghullab Bibi, who had been on-duty at the women’s barracks. Another police officer said that four female prisoners were also taken away by the militants.

The slain policemen were identified as Mazhar Hussain Qureshi, Saifullah, Rustam, Mir Zaman and Peyou Sardar. The fifth officer remains unidentified.

The dead prisoners were identified as Sajid Khan, Juma Malang, Aslam (a prisoner on death row), Akther Abbas (jailed for life), Naseem, Aslam Chaudhry and another prisoner whose identity could not be ascertained.According to police officials, four of the prisoners were Shia.

TTP spokesperson Shahidullah Shahid claimed responsibility for the assault, calling it a “successful mission in which 150 men including seven suicide bombers participated.”

A police official claimed at least six militants were killed near Daraban check post during an exchange of gunfire between security forces and the escaping militants.

A police official who was on duty during the attack said prison authorities called for reinforcements, however they arrived late.

Commissioner DI Khan Mushtaq Jadoon said the militants had destroyed all the transformers, plunging the area into darkness when additional reinforcements arrived. He added that this provided cover to the militants to escape with the prisoners.

Jadoon stated that militants had also planted IEDs along their escape route which took the bomb disposal unit until Tuesday morning to defuse.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 31st, 2013.

*enforcements arrived late

*TTP overwhelmed the prison security

*Yet it is failure of PTI government.

* Lanat kis wajni chahye, I'm thinking

970303_280903168716584_1251809094_n.jpg

970287_546702148729437_266245715_n.png
this is the last thing I expected of you, oh wait I know, you are just saving your face. There was a failure at both ends, face it, accept it, and stop crying like a kid who lolly was snatched by Army.

You think you could do a better job? be my guest and join the force and change the system, it is easier to talk crap while sitting behind a screen than actually performing duty on the ground, I have been their done that. So unless you have that expereince , please don;t talk out of your bottoms

DIK jail attack: Initial report says police didn’t even bother to resist

As hundreds of terrorists managed to escape the Dera Ismail Khan jail following an attack late on Monday, an initial inquiry report says about 145 police personnel deployed at the prison did not even make an effort to offer resistance.

The initial report was submitted to the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister on Tuesday.

CM’s adviser Malik Qasim submitted the probe report that said the first gate was destroyed by the attackers equipped with hand grenades and automatic weapons, but the other two gates were let open by security personnel.

The report said police personnel who were responsible for security of the prison’s outside building were not present at the time of attack and arrived there four-and-a-half hours later.

The report said the first and second defence lines of the jail had failed completely in defending and resisting the terrorists.

“If the first and second security layers had offered resistance, the army could have been engaged to protect the prison,” it further said.

Sources said the escaped prisoners had reached safe havens in North Waziristan Agency.

Nearly 250 prisoners, including hardcore militants, escaped on Monday midnight after insurgents armed with mortars and grenades attacked the Central Prison in Dera Ismail Khan.

At least 11 people, including six policemen, were killed and seven others injured in the brazen attack, Deputy Commissioner Mushtaq Jadoon told reporters.

"A total of 243 prisoners have escaped, six of them were later arrested by police," he said, adding that "30 among the escaped prisoners were hardcore militants".

He said militants had planted dozens of explosive devices in the jail and 14 of them had been defused so far. "Police and other law enforcement agencies are busy in clearing the jail," he said.

Jadoon said around 50 to 60 militants managed to enter the jail as others fired rockets from outside.

Police claimed a suicide bomber had also been killed in retaliation.

DIK jail attack: Initial report says police didn

"Disciplined" institution of brain washed people like any other army in the world. Nothing special about them, they dont impress me.

I have seen there discipline in Bangladesh, Kargil, Swat and so on.

on a lighter note let me share something! Recently went to Pakistan/ Rawalpindi to pick my cousin from one of the army colleges. Basically we were on the way from Islamabad and there was alot of traffic. The army Jeep full of soldiers hit a person on bike from the back (i saw it with my own eyes it wasn't the bike rider fault). I was expecting the driver coming out helping and apologizing to the poor fella. you know what they done started laughing including the ugly driver.

funny story! makes me laugh! i have seen their discipline. I also know what they are doing recently in Kalam, little minor things... but you was talking about discipline!

so yeah make fun of me! i dont mind :)
you know what? I hapeen to live in Cantt area Rawalpindi - westridge, thats where the barracks are , and oh am not a n army boy.
So as you CLAIMED that it was not the Rider's fault but the driver in Army jeep, I would love to know how you came to that conclusion? the soliders were laughing- is that a bad thing? it might be their personal thing, and IF YOU don't know but if an Army vehicle gets damage, they get in trouble and gets on their track record. Whether its their fault or not, paper work has to be done.....oh and you know the funny thing? they have to call in the Senior officer to the place of accident there and then for to investigate.

Thats funny isn't it

everybudy blamin Pti for this:cry::eek::confused:

well tbh I don't - but I blame the system.
You know dear marshmallow the weird thing?
FOr all the years, Lahore has been exporting chemicals used for making bombs all over the country, and this has been said not once but numerous times, but I don't see anybody pointing fingers at Punjab govt....

@F.O.X & @Argus Panoptes :

The Defense Budget for 2013-14 stands at Rs.627 billion & its breakdown is Pak Rs 301.54 billion to the Army, Pak Rs 131.18 billion to the Air Force and Pak Rs 62.80 billion to the Pakistan Navy !

The Police & Law Enforcement Budget (or more appropriately, as per the Budget's own nomenclature, the Budget for Public Order & Safety Affairs) stands at an aggregated total of Rs.78 billion & of that the Police Budget being around Rs.72 billion !

Not enough to achieve parity with that of the PAF but more than that of the PN !

Source - Pakistan raises annual defence budget by 10 per cent - DAWN.COM & http://www.finance.gov.pk/budget/Budget_in_Brief_2013_14.pdf

may be you are quoting federal budget of police. even as far as i remember punjab police budget is around 80B.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why I asked @F.O.X for some information to support his claim, which is highly suspect.

Sir, as I have said above, it has little to do with Budget than the training. You can read above, the failure of Police deployed at the facility to secure and hold ground. Heck some of them were not even present on duty. Now is it due to the fact that they were incompetent or perhaps they were not equipped.

Equipment use karnay wala ho tou banda equip karay na

@F.O.X sahab, is it "PTI government fault, reinforcements arrived late, is it PTI government fault 100+ prison security guards were not present at time of attack?

Sir, as I have said above, it has little to do with Budget than the training. You can read above, the failure of Police deployed at the facility to secure and hold ground. Heck some of them were not even present on duty. Now is it due to the fact that they were incompetent or perhaps they were not equipped.

Equipment use karnay wala ho tou banda equip karay na

The whole security apparatus is a joke, from top to bottom. We have no capacity to deliver anything effectively:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/national-political-issues/265699-no-capacity-deliver.html

thats exactly my point.
We cannot categorically put all the blame on Govt Or the Military, but with give circumstances Govt at all levels need to make harsh choices and be committed to it otherwise am affraid we will be doing (god forfid) worse than afghanistan.
they need to learn from mistakes and work on the weak parts rather than blaming each other. If i was advisor to IK or CM KPK, that would be my advise
The whole security apparatus is a joke, from top to bottom. We have no capacity to deliver anything effectively:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/national-political-issues/265699-no-capacity-deliver.html

thats exactly my point.
We cannot categorically put all the blame on Govt Or the Military, but with give circumstances Govt at all levels need to make harsh choices and be committed to it otherwise am affraid we will be doing (godfid) worse than afghanistan

We will be going rapidly downhill after 2014 if these incidents are any harbingers. Worse than Afghanistan? You ain't seen nuthin' yet, as some would say.

@F.O.X & @Argus Panoptes :

The Defense Budget for 2013-14 stands at Rs.627 billion & its breakdown is Pak Rs 301.54 billion to the Army, Pak Rs 131.18 billion to the Air Force and Pak Rs 62.80 billion to the Pakistan Navy !

The Police & Law Enforcement Budget (or more appropriately, as per the Budget's own nomenclature, the Budget for Public Order & Safety Affairs) stands at an aggregated total of Rs.78 billion & of that the Police Budget being around Rs.72 billion !

Not enough to achieve parity with that of the PAF but more than that of the PN !

Source - Pakistan raises annual defence budget by 10 per cent - DAWN.COM & http://www.finance.gov.pk/budget/Budget_in_Brief_2013_14.pdf

KPK
Police + Security = 23+23 B= 46 B

Punjab
Police + Public Order and Safety = 71 B + 92.7 B = 163.7B
http://punjab.gov.pk/?q=system/files/ABS.pdf

Sindh
Police + Law and order = 48.3 B + 50B = 98.3B

Balochistan
Maintanence and Law inc police = 16.23 B

Federal=
couldnt find :D

Gigit Baltitistan=

AJK =

Police inc Civil defence = ~4B

Total it becomes around 328.23 B PKR.

:D :D @Leader @F.O.X

you know what? I hapeen to live in Cantt area Rawalpindi - westridge, thats where the barracks are , and oh am not a n army boy.
So as you CLAIMED that it was not the Rider's fault but the driver in Army jeep, I would love to know how you came to that conclusion? the soliders were laughing- is that a bad thing? it might be their personal thing, and IF YOU don't know but if an Army vehicle gets damage, they get in trouble and gets on their track record. Whether its their fault or not, paper work has to be done.....oh and you know the funny thing? they have to call in the Senior officer to the place of accident there and then for to investigate.....

Calm down mate.

Because i was watching it with my own eyes that's how i came to this conclusion.

It wasn't a big accident, just a small push because there was traffic. He just fell of his bike and his bike fell to the floor and then he picked it up.

Now the driver or some F8cker in that jeep should have come out and said sorry and helped him pick his bike up!

nothing happened to the JEEP.

I do have respect for everyone, however if you try to make me look like a lair & insult me - I dont like it- period.

Why would i make this up or Lie in this month of ramdhan, Get your head straight.

KPK
Police + Security = 23+23 B= 46 B

Punjab
Police + Public Order and Safety = 71 B + 92.7 B = 163.7B
http://punjab.gov.pk/?q=system/files/ABS.pdf

Sindh
Police + Law and order = 48.3 B + 50B = 98.3B

Balochistan
Maintanence and Law inc police = 16.23 B

Federal=

Gigit Baltitistan=

AJK =

Police inc Civil defence = ~4B

Total it becomes around 328.23 B PKR.

:D :D @Leader @F.O.X

Anybody else find it funny that the Army claims it does not have the largest share in the budget after debt servicing?

Back
Top Bottom