What's new

Proposing PDF debates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Topics can be picked on popular demand. I will work with the willing bunch to lay out topics. Right now i need to know what you guys want to see.

Topics can be picked on popular demand. I will work with the willing bunch to lay out topics. Right now i need to know what you guys want to see.

Personally I would love to have a civilized India/Pakistan discussion which is not a troll fest about who is better but about a realistic view of the strengths and weaknesses each country has, the points of contention and possible solutions)
Similarly, a proper discussion on religion and extremism would be good, as long as people don't focus on just bashing one particular religion but to actually reflect upon the real issues and debate about what kinds of solutions are practical (Muslim vs Muslim debates would be really productive here, for example).

I have one suggestion: at the end of every debate, a spectator or 'judge' (TTA or Moderator, possibly elected by participants) should compile a little summary of the points each side made and possibly come to a conclusion. The summary format could be like this:
Topic: Y
Member 1's argument:
Member 2's argument:

Member 1's counter argument
Member 2's counter argument
(lines could be copy-pasted selectively, to summarize the argument)

Verdict/Conclusion: Member 1's argument was backed by facts and he managed to adequately answer many of his opponent's questions, however, the point about [something] was invalid because ......, the point about [something else] was refuted by member 2. Thus, to conclude, we can say that _____ is certain, however we must not generalize ... etc....etc....
(Basically TTA/Moderator's comments)

It would make our debates really valuable, even to people who don't participate or visitors in general. It'd be great if the debates can be used to actually come up with something others can use as a source of information or perspective. By actually summarizing both the perspectives to come to a sort of middle-ground perspective, we would be making some progress in refuting myths etc while explaining the crux of the argument itself.

I feel that this may be a bit of a stretch though, it'd require some more energy and time from Moderators or TTAs, not to mention all the complaints of unfair and all that you'll be getting. Still, may be worth considering.

While the idea seems sound, the problem with this is that the inherent bias that the forum has would distort the debate with people sending im and emails to the participants.
How are the participants going to avoid that?
How are the ideas going to be screened?
It's a great idea though.

I have got a feeling that it will not work

Still all the best...

And I am looking forward to see what topic in the world exists for that to happen? :D

Yup, try open a thread with some sexy gals picture.. You will never see such a co operation and same thinking minds anywhere in the world. :D

BTW one topic comes to mind is "liberalism in today's world".. I mean there are many members from both India and Pakistan who support liberal views and against it..

@scorpionx se yaad aaya.. A debate about secularism also bring like minded people from both countries together.. There are many people from both countries who are against it and for it..

BTW one topic comes to mind is "liberalism in today's world".. I mean there are many members from both India and Pakistan who support liberal views and against it..
That would be a quite interesting topic to be honest. I am afraid if there will be any concurrence of opinions among liberals only or not.Because the idea of liberalism varies in such an wide degree from country to country.

@scorpionx se yaad aaya.. A debate about secularism also bring like minded people from both countries together.. There are many people from both countries who are against it and for it..

Another interesting topic. It will be hell of a fight between the supporters of secularism and radical right wingers of both the countries. They share so many things in common!!

I have got a feeling that it will not work

Still all the best...

Aray Zaalim, nothing works by default. Everything in life has to be 'made to work'. When you figure that out, life would become a cake for you.

Aray Zaalim, nothing works by default. Everything in life has to be 'made to work'. When you figure that out, life would become a cake for you.
You know what.... u should open up further.....
I like the new horus and not the previous aero....
:angel::partay:

And I sincerely wish for the success
I will contribute my part by not trolling :enjoy:

I mean there are many members from both India and Pakistan who support liberal views and against it..
That's a very subjective term. By Indian standards I am a far right fascist. While by other standards I am a dove. :P

Hello.

I have had this idea recently, so i just wanted to throw it out to you guys to get more input.

I want to start a debate initiative, right here on PDF. Its format will be different from normal threads. I would moderate the debates myself and they will only be conducted on important topics i.e global security etc through popular demand of the normal members or title holder's suggestions. There would be 2 teams with 3 penalists each picked by either member suggestion or moderation team/tts etc and they will be asked to bring counter arguments. It will be required for them to source and present arguments and counter arguments for or against the motion. It wouldn't matter what their personal views are...the debate format will focus on the ability of the panelists to research and bring relevant arguments. Since we have a load of PhDs and PhD/Postgraduate students on the board, we can make it work. Normal members will not be allowed to participate while the debate goes on, but they will be able to ask questions when the debate is closed.

Any more suggestions?
It is not going to be easy.

You can't have a fixed pool or participants for every kind of topic. For example for state imposed 'Western secularism' it is likely that both Indian and Pakistani ideologues will have similar views!
For example in case you are discussing something on Islamist Right, there needs to be supporters of Islamist Right as well as dissenters. Say Jungibaaz, Fauji etc alone will not make a mark. At the same time, the person needs to be eloquent and not prone to trolling. Same for threads on the Hindu Right. All of Indian TTAs will have a similar opinion, that would largely coincide with the opposite points.

Bottomline: You will need to have a number of hardliners/hawks in your pool as well.

Hello.

I have had this idea recently, so i just wanted to throw it out to you guys to get more input.

I want to start a debate initiative, right here on PDF. Its format will be different from normal threads. I would moderate the debates myself and they will only be conducted on important topics i.e global security etc through popular demand of the normal members or title holder's suggestions. There would be 2 teams with 3 penalists each picked by either member suggestion or moderation team/tts etc and they will be asked to bring counter arguments. It will be required for them to source and present arguments and counter arguments for or against the motion. It wouldn't matter what their personal views are...the debate format will focus on the ability of the panelists to research and bring relevant arguments. Since we have a load of PhDs and PhD/Postgraduate students on the board, we can make it work. Normal members will not be allowed to participate while the debate goes on, but they will be able to ask questions when the debate is closed.

Any more suggestions?
i could've sworn i posted this as a suggestion on another pakistani forum… about a month a half ago…. did any of you guys happen get inspiration from that post of mine???

From an american team, gambit alone is enough.
he is a bigot and there is no way he is going to represent america… he represent the redneck racist americans if he wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom