What's new

Prahaar-new short-range tactical missile

India all set to test new short-range tactical missile

Prahaar' (to strike), a totally new quick-reaction, short-range tactical missile, which will fill the gap for such a battlefield weapon system in India's missile arsenal, is all set to be flight-tested on July 17.

This was stated here on Saturday by Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister and Director General, Defence Research and Development Organisation, V.K. Saraswat after inaugurating a new facility of Analogic Controls India Ltd. (ACIL) that manufactures electronic systems for mission critical defence and space applications.

Talking to journalists, Dr. Saraswat said the 150 km-range missile would replace unguided rockets and “is going to be an excellent weapon.” It would bridge the gap between Pinaka, a 40-km range multi-barrel rocket system, and the 350-km Prithvi-II, which had been converted into a strategic missile. Unguided rockets of 90-km range had also been imported from Russia.

Dr. Saraswat said that at present the services did not have a weapon such as Prahaar. The missile would be equipped with omni-directional warheads and could be used for hitting both tactical and strategic targets. The road-mobile system could be pulled out for quick deployment with each launcher carrying six missiles. “With different types of warheads, you can have different types of missiles from the same launcher,” he added.

Stating that the DRDO-developed missile was cost-effective, Dr. Saraswat said that only a few would be required to cause devastation equivalent to that produced by several unguided rockets. Initially, the missile would be given to the Army and later to other services.

Replying to a question, he said India's longest range, surface-to-surface Agni-V missile would be flight-tested by the year-end as scheduled earlier.

Avinash Chander, Chief Controller, (Missile & Strategic Systems), DRDO, said the most “critical milestone' — the testing of three propulsion motors for the first, second and third stages of the missile — was completed.

Electronic systems

Earlier, inaugurating the state-of-the-art manufacturing facility of ACIL, Dr. Saraswat called for forging public-private partnerships for producing electronic systems, which were being imported. The new Electronics Development Policy would aim to bridge the technological gap and seek large participation of the private sector.

He said a low cost laptop being produced by the DRDO in partnership with IIT, Jodhpur, was expected to be unveiled by December.

T.V. Prasad, Chairman, ACIL, said the company was developing more than 50 components for various projects and intended to move towards high-end products.

Can anyone explain the bold part?

Prithvi is a disaster for Indian armed forces strategically. We should replace them as quickly as possible because they are too huge for a 300km range BM. Its too difficult to transfer them under the radar. Prithvi was our first so everybody understands it but now we need Prithvi NG which should be smaller, light weight and smarter or we should eliminate this missile from our arsenal.

why? because prithvi is liquid fueled? its our only missile which is100% operational.

@Avishekh-I think that it means the blast will be spread throughout........like a suicide vest/crude bombs with nails etc.

Yes. Its needed to feel the range between

40 km Pinaka
90 km Smerch
150 Prahaar
300 km Brahmos
350 km Prithvi
750 km Shaurya

I think this missile will be extensively used during the war. Waiting for more technical details from the news.

But this anger I cannot hide, many people visited DEFEXPO last year but none of them except one guy cared to take a pic of the new sleek missile system!!! :angry: I thought its Nirbhay!!

I feel sorry to miss it, after going flashback i recalled that i got a phone call on my cell and i have to cut short my visit to defense
expo.

@Avishekh-I think that it means the blast will be spread throughout........like a suicide vest/crude bombs with nails etc.

Yeah! Logical but will it consist of multiple warheads or a single warhead with multi-directional impact?

The Prahar system can tackle multiple targets and allows a mix of different kinds of missiles to be used from a single launcher. The missile will be tested for the first time at the end July, Mr Saraswat said.

Prahar will fill the gap between the Pinaka and the Russian-made Smerch, and the larger missiles.

The Pinaka, also produced by the DRDO, is a multiple-rocket launcher system. The missile has a maximum range of 40 km, and the system, mounted on a truck, can fire 12 rockets in 44 seconds. Smerch has a range of 90 km.

Being multi-directional and auto loading in nature, Prahar will be extremely useful in emergency situations.

Its launch time is estimated to be two to three minutes and no preparation is required. Also, the technology being used on the Prahar is indigenously available and under manufacture in India.
This helps in making Prahar cost effective, said Mr Saraswat.

New short-range missile test July-end | Deccan Chronicle

After its successful test we need to extend its range by 400-500 kms to tackle chinese. Because they have 400 kms system deployed and by developing a system within 400-500 kms will offset our disadvantage of bad infrastructure in mountain region and border areas.

India will definitely represent a serious challenge to China in the region. Who knows, it might be the same to us in the far future after dealing with China.

India will definitely represent a serious challenge to China in the region. Who knows, it might be the same to us in the far future after dealing with China.
Well, that's the beauty of USofA, isnt it? always in pursuit of finding new enemies one after the other.:azn:

Why the Prahar is being seen as an answer to nasr

It is intended to serve the purpose of long range MBRL

Both are quick-reaction, short-range tactical missile...Its launch platform most probably the L&T's will carry six missile which can have different kind of warheads meant for different targets

Prahaar has guidance system. Note Dr. Saraswat taking it can replace number of unguided MBRLs. I hope its IR, spin off Nag's seeker.

Its like US ATACMS which also has 150 km range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom