What's new

Featured PNS Tabuk has been commissioned in Pakistan Navy

The present growth in PN capabilities is phenomenal, This is mostly due to fact that Pakistan had a small Navy but in last few decades our maritime boundaries have grown additional ports developed and china factor resulted a change in fundamentals of maritime security.

Additional factor is availability of good quality systems from china and Turkey, I still remember the F 22-P deal there was lots of apprehensions in Pakistan if these ships were capable enough. But Know we have very good options available with us from China and other.

Current growth of 16 to 20 ships of various size in 5 years along with 8 submarines, coupled with modernization of existing ships will defiantly not be sustained. It will more likely be a settled growth on-wards with more focus on localization.

Ships like J-Class and improved Azmat class or may be some thing based on Yarmook class will definitely follow but on a settled pace with more focus on replacements rather than expansion.

What is the main surveillance radar on these ships ? So far smaller surface detection radar visible but why is the main radar mast still empty ??

Weapons and main sensors to be fitted out in country

I guess the revelation of Former Chief about six additional heavier tonnage vessels (not destroyers) as follow on order indicates that PN is no longer following Type 56 FFA. My hunch is, those six vessels will be customized designs from Damen Shipyards and will be meant for anti Submarine warfare. (after all Type56A is also ASW vessel)
Weapons and main sensors to be fitted out in country

I guess the revelation of Former Chief about six additional heavier tonnage vessels (not destroyers) as follow on order indicates that PN is no longer following Type 56 FFA. My hunch is, those six vessels will be customized designs from Damen Shipyards and will be meant for anti Submarine warfare. (after all Type56A is also ASW vessel)

There are a number of possibilities, but the sheer amount of planning is truly impressive.

I am against naming ships or other assets after individuals, though we have some named after past kings.

Damen’s have not been built on military specs.

There are various news and leaked information suggesting PN working on quite a few missiles. These may need new ships.

On the surface there are different options available. Building a larger Azamat class. Or Transfer of technology and design of Yarmook, or even buying type 56.
There is coast and time factor involved. PN is already working on Jinnah class and it will be a larger ship. most of new missile will be on this ship. but still there's a need for smaller once. So let's see

What is going to happen:

2 more Yarmook class to be ordered
4 Jinnah Class to be produced
2 more Follow on orders for Type 54C or D to be placed
8 More FAC of modified Azmat class
10 more MRTP 33
2 more Fleet replenishment Ships to be ordered

3 Remaining Type 21 frigates will be retired
1 OHP will be retired
1 Chinese Fuqing Class Ship will be retired
2 Agosta 70 will be retired

What is going to happen:

2 more Yarmook class to be ordered
4 Jinnah Class to be produced
2 more Follow on orders for Type 54C or D to be placed
8 More FAC of modified Azmat class
10 more MRTP 33
2 more Fleet replenishment Ships to be ordered

3 Remaining Type 21 frigates will be retired
1 OHP will be retired
1 Chinese Fuqing Class Ship will be retired
2 Agosta 70 will be retired
There won't be any further order of Yarmook class. Yes additional six corvettes order will be placed (if not already placed).

Hope you are right about Azmat class further evolution. I am not aware of it.

There won't be any further orders of MRTP 33. Instead, a better option is being looked at (if not finalized already).

Type 54 B & C? I don't think so as no such ship exists as per now.

Tariq class is retiring soon. However, PNS Alamgir is with Navy for roughly a decade more time. It's receiving overhaul in KSEW right now.

What will be the actual strength of PN in 2025-2027?

Subs? frigates? corvettes?

The OPV should have some sort of SAM installed on it instead CIWS only, it is typical old PN thinking which has been already tested in 1971 war when IN attacked Pakistani port with missiles meanwhile PN ships and infrastructure was totally defense less.

Considering enemy huge size even second tier ships should have some sort of credible AD to provide them some sort of capability to withstand any sneaking missile attack.

Its a ridiculous strategy having ship without SAM's. I think our navel officers should not board those ships with out SAMs on health and safety grounds. Let the decisions makers go into the war one hand tied behind their backs themselves or send their own kids. I do respect our armed forces but some times right things need to be said like sending our kids in Toyota Hilux's to be butchered by rag tag terrorists and now our higher command is realising their policies were wrong all along. We don't have enough naval assets to give 24/7 air protection even in our own sea lanes then why not let the boys to have some reasonable protection for themselves. Of course it costs a bit but its not a prohibitive cost our kids deserved better then what's on offer.

From available information it is clear that PN is working on 3 local designs. Azamt class has already been localized. Jinnah class and Gun Boats also pretty much confirmed.
Will be such a waist of resources if we just built limited number of Azmat or Jinnah class. Further development and enhancement is a general evolution. Ideally we should develop different versions of same, lighter ships based on Azmat mostly between 500 to 1500 T and on Jinnah class with 3000 and above T.

From available information it is clear that PN is working on 3 local designs. Azamt class has already been localized. Jinnah class and Gun Boats also pretty much confirmed.
Will be such a waist of resources if we just built limited number of Azmat or Jinnah class. Further development and enhancement is a general evolution. Ideally we should develop different versions of same, lighter ships based on Azmat mostly between 500 to 1500 T and on Jinnah class with 3000 and above T.

They should study how Damen has a modular approach that allows them to build a series of ships by size and function quite easily, as the basis for its development programme. Building one off ships will be a short lived exercise, versus a open modular approach. Getting further ships built in Pakistan for Damen designs by having Damen build a ship-yard in Pakistan would make a lot of sense.

we are getting 8 ships and they seem to be customize. logically PN should also go for design rights. But with MILGEM also around same weight class it seems a duplication of effort.

Back
Top Bottom