What's new

PL-15 export version data officially released by China

Why to reveal the true range of PL-15 ?? PAF is ok with it and feel happy to Let the Indians keep guessing , on the testing day it may burn the back of pajeet flying over new dehli :lol:

The range of PL-15 export version and meteor is the same. However, the terminal mobility of PL-15 export version is significantly stronger.
The radar RBE2 of Rafale is affected by the installation aperture of 400mm, and the detection distance is only 130km.
If there is no early warning aircraft assistance. JF17b3 has significantly stronger over the horizon air combat capability.

BTW: The PL2x has a stronger range, but it has no possibility of export for the time being. Even official figures have not been released.

AIM120D is approx the same distance as PL15. But in sub continent theater, firing PL15 fox3 will break the formation of adversaries and can dictate combat in the area, for Fox2s..
Good going Pakistan. 2 pL15, with 4 PL12 and two PL10/PL5 will make a deadly combo

in the case of Chia and Pakistan interoperability is the reason

China sells weapons to various countries. There is no such thing as "interoperability" to share original tech and not the export version. That's due to the strategic alliance between China and Pakistan
Parabolic paths and larger missiles, that’s how 200+ KM range is accomplished, as with R37M and PL-21, when they choose that flight path they are not going to be effective against fighter aircraft, this is specifically done to target larger, slow moving targets like AWACS and Tankers, we are still a fair bit away from a smaller BVR missile that can achieve such ranges with a straight trajectory and a maintained speed.

This may me a decent summary of 2000's tech. We are 21 years ahead of it. With more and more computational power and energy production and management, the trajectories are becoming less of an issue.
I'm just saying that Pakistan has a precedent for obtaining the original PLA Weapons. I can't guarantee that Pakistan can obtain the original PL15. Because I have no definite news.
But now that PL15 has been licensed for export, Pakistan will certainly get it right away.

Pakistan should also make the SD-10's ER version and use it for it's air force and SAM systems and produce it locally.

if it boosts your ego/makes you feel supirior to say exact same thing as me -- vis. China/Pakistan-- using different words, carry on.

I am sorry, don't take bates and honestly, I have NO idea what you are actually trying to say.

If the export version is publicized to have 145KM range, then it is likely that the real version of the missile would be 160KM+ range. Regardless of whether the version that is sold to Pakistan is non-export version or not, India should prepare with the assumption that PL 15 is 160KM+ capable only.

As per publicly available information, the comparable dual pulse Astra MK 2 missile is expected to be tested by the later half of 2022. This means that the production version of the missile will likely be available only by 2024-25 time frame. I'm not sure if the indigenous seeker on this missile will be comparable to the one in PL - 15, given the head start that the Chinese have in these areas. The Indo-Russian joint venture to develop SFDR based Astra MK3 is still far way to comment upon.

Under these circumstances, I think India should consider an American platform that will be capable of firing AIM 120D and future 260 AMRAAMs. The locally manufactured Indian missiles can be for keeping up with numbers, but they cannot guarantee parity. Introducing an American platform means that it will have to eventually replace SU 30 MKI; otherwise India will find it logistically difficult to operate all these different platforms at the same time. It would be interesting to see what IAF decides to do :-)

I don't know how much bluffing has been done on the range of PL 15 by chinese and pakistanis ranging from 250 to 350 km. Now China claims it to be 145 so it should be around 100 km at its best.
Dear what if still they are bluffing and range is around 200 Km.

I have a few questions.

1. Now that the range has been officially stated, this 145km range would be effective for slow-moving targets like AWACS and Tankers?

2. Its effectiveness would be seriously diminished for fast-moving acs like fighter jets at the upper limit of the range envelop as is the case for other BVRs?

3. What is the expected NEZ with this range and how does it stand against the expected NEZ of Meteor?

Can anyone respond to this query?

145 KM in itself is a fantastic range for an AAM, but It’s not just about the range. It is about the missile to meet those ranges with more probability. What you want is a missile with a higher probability of kill, not just an extended range because the previous generation of missiles too had long ranges but their performance would severely degrade if the target was to defensively react. And that's where Meteor and PL15 will be entirely different from any previous-gen weapon system.

I don't know how much bluffing has been done on the range of PL 15 by chinese and pakistanis ranging from 250 to 350 km. Now China claims it to be 145 so it should be around 100 km at its best.

This Indian mentally gave them big surprise on 27.02.2019, this superiority complex is good for Pakistan.
If I was Pakistan, I'd use PL-15's obviously. But, I'd get ToT based SD-10 "ER" close to PL-15 range and either license manufacture it, or, get involved with the project similar to the JFT. The same 125-145 km (let's pretend the future "ER" range for upgraded SD-10) should also be mass produced as future SAMS.

Pakistan already have it's own BVR project but no one know it's fate.

145km is based on what parameters?
Is it nose on, is it at 10k ft or 25k ft?
Is it with launch aircraft doing 300knots at 5000ft or Mach 1.1 at 35000?

At best those are nominal performance values which are then cut down for public consumption. When units are sold there is a strict NDA (Non-disclosure agreement) signed that also involves intel agencies(or equal therof) from both countries after which actual performance parameters are disclosed and even then those aren’t fully released until a contract is signed.
The PL-15 was designed to outdo the AIM-120Ds published range - not what the AIM-120D can actually do because that is closely guarded Opsec as is the PL-15s actual max performance.

Those concentrating on the PL-15 should look at the other aspects of it -
Duplex link for constant updates along with Beidou positioning means that within the good WEZ of this system it will kill the target aircraft no matter what.

There is simply no way PAF will be happy to continue using PL-12 they received as export version from 2010s. PAF will require longer reach missiles and more advanced ones since Indian purchases move ahead with things like Meteor and R-77M and maybe R-37M in secret as a new weapon for their MKI.

No way China and Pakistan would be comfortable allowing PAF to only have JF-17 block 1 and 2 shooting older SD-10 missiles.

JF-17 block 3's whole point is to improve sensor and shot capability. It is a cheap way to increase capability without having to spend money developing new fighters and complicated big design changes.

New radar of AESA technology and new improved missiles like PL-15 and PL-10 is minimum. India already has Rafales flying but enough block 3 acquired at much lower prices than India's Rafales would be the counter balance. It can boast near even sensor and missiles. The rest is about electronic masking and pushing down enemy while your fighter's sensors break through their electronic masking and pushing. This is helped with more fighters which block 3 will provide compared to Rafale.

So suggesting PL-15 is out of reach is just not likely since it is required and it is now not anything new or secretive. We can see it is offered for export but export are governed by rules and other nations expressing concern for example we cannot export long range rockets to certain countries in case Israel or Saudi Arabia or Iran etc become annoyed at us since we also want good terms with them. So export models for something like PL-15 will 100% be dumbed down unlike something like VT-4 compared to Type 96. The sensitivity and military tech ladder is higher for a BVR missile and more important. Since Pakistan has direct security concerns that overlap with ours of course the access is different.
Additionally China knows that if a jf17 knocks out an su30mki or Mirage 2000 or a Rafael that's orders galore and marketing

don't have your rectal orgasms just yet, PL15 still outranges your meteor by a whopping 50 kilometeres, here's the range of your meteor from the manufacturer itself... :lol:
Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.58.17 PM.png

translation? by the time your iaf's baby rafale gets close to locking on its meteor, there's gonna be a PL-15 goin' up your @$$...then you can have your rectal orgasm! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom