What's new

Pilot ejects, is safe after MiG crashes

facepalm_statue.jpg

When did HAL stop manufacturing these Fishbeds?
And in addition..when did the last Bison roll out of the upgrade process.
taking that into account, may answer why the crash rate is high.

Also, the Mig-21 has never been an easy plane to fly.. and at times can be very unforgiving.

motivatoraf101614a596ca.jpg

It may be old but certainly doesn't deserve all the abuse it is getting here. Almost 12,000 such jets have served over 50 nations for half a century.
Indians should remember that this venerable jet was one of the few things which held our enemies at bay for several decades.

Pakistanis should also keep in mind that the backbone of their airforce was the Chengdu J-7 which was basically a MiG 21 and it even influenced the super-7 project which evolved into the JF-17.

The fighter may be old and rightly deserves to be retired, but let it do so with the honour that a legendary fighter should get in it's last days. After all even world war 2 veteran soldiers get military funerals.

every plane got crash sir and for your kind info one SU-30MKI crash was pilot error as Russians say

Imran Bhai
Even US lost 2 F22 Raptors in one yr , but does it make it less than the worlds best fighter aircraft at present

Let me give u Another Example

Our good friends the french have lost 5 Rafales to crashes since they were inducted in 2000,
Now will u question the quality of french workmanship or Training or pilot error

In the 25 Yrs of operations IAF has lost only 2 of the 53 Mirage 2000 H which it had inducted , what does it tell u about quaity of aircraft

Another thing is that Mig 21/27 were only meant to have a life of 20 yrs but we are operating them for over 30 yrs hence there is corosion of airframe

Now India inducted over 450 Mig21 out of which 180 might have crashed in 40 yrs of operation and 150 have been retired
India is replacing its 450 Mig21 with 270 Su30 MKI and 120 LCA

U should understand that it is not about quantity but quality
A single Su30MKI can do the job of 4 Mig21

Mig27 will be replaced partly by MKI and partly by mmrca

as far as mmrca is concerned , well field trials were completed last yr and u should know that Decision is not made Imidiately after trials but there is complex level of negotiations , ofset requirements, price discussions and TOT agreements to be signed
Shortlist of th contenders will be announced by end of this month or after Aero India
Though many sources within MOD have already given shortlist to media for 3 contenders with Typhoon and Rafale as top contenders and F/A18 being second fiddle to them
The french and Europeans have even offered to deliver 40 Jets on short notice if there fighter is selected for contract

Thats what i m saying for so long but the indian members think other way around ,i m afraid that many may also disagree with you.but at the end of the day everyone has his own perception

Do remember that Mig-21s are very old plane, a thired generation air craft.

Pilots has to be extensively experianced in that case. Mig-21 is a Mach 2 fighter. A small error will cause crash and their engines are not reliable. It has no fly-by-wire, the pilot has to 'fly'it, no computer at all, so can't campare it with the new air craft's crash data.

Also one of the reason for pilot error that, there was no intermediate jet trainer, rookie pilots were getting into Supersonic Migs all of a sudden. Now it has taken care by hawk jet trainers.

Simply, a bit late in the retairement of Mig-21, LCA got late. IAF did not go for Mig-29s in large numbers, but waited for for Su series in 90s.That is the reason for this time gap..

When did HAL stop manufacturing these Fishbeds?
And in addition..when did the last Bison roll out of the upgrade process.
taking that into account, may answer why the crash rate is high.

Also, the Mig-21 has never been an easy plane to fly.. and at times can be very unforgiving.

HAL ended the production in 1984

While bison upgrade which began in 1996 , ended in 1999

Jets produced between 1980-84 were upgraded to Bison standards so that they can serve till 2017
5 of the 125 Bison jets have crashed since there delivery in 1997
Bisons have a far lower crash record as compared to Normal Mig21/27 which average 3-4 crashes a yr

I think India needs a better understanding of when to retire certain aircraft and also induct others. The crash rates still seem to be very high compared to other air forces. Especially NATO countries.

every plane got crash sir and for your kind info one SU-30MKI crash was pilot error as Russians say

Imran Bhai
Even US lost 2 F22 Raptors in one yr , but does it make it less than the worlds best fighter aircraft at present

Let me give u Another Example

Our good friends the french have lost 5 Rafales to crashes since they were inducted in 2000,
Now will u question the quality of french workmanship or Training or pilot error

In the 25 Yrs of operations IAF has lost only 2 of the 53 Mirage 2000 H which it had inducted , what does it tell u about quaity of aircraft

Another thing is that Mig 21/27 were only meant to have a life of 20 yrs but we are operating them for over 30 yrs hence there is corosion of airframe

Now India inducted over 450 Mig21 out of which 180 might have crashed in 40 yrs of operation and 150 have been retired
India is replacing its 450 Mig21 with 270 Su30 MKI and 120 LCA

U should understand that it is not about quantity but quality
A single Su30MKI can do the job of 4 Mig21

Mig27 will be replaced partly by MKI and partly by mmrca

as far as mmrca is concerned , well field trials were completed last yr and u should know that Decision is not made Imidiately after trials but there is complex level of negotiations , ofset requirements, price discussions and TOT agreements to be signed
Shortlist of th contenders will be announced by end of this month or after Aero India
Though many sources within MOD have already given shortlist to media for 3 contenders with Typhoon and Rafale as top contenders and F/A18 being second fiddle to them
The french and Europeans have even offered to deliver 40 Jets on short notice if there fighter is selected for contract
fully agreed nice post jani:tup::D

How many working Mig-21s are left? I've been hearing about them crashing since my early teen years!

They wont be decommissioned until all of them fall out of the sky.
just kidding

My respect for IAF pilots increases with every crash.

I had already lost some dear friends coz of hairier and migs, GOD knows when these plains are going to phage out.

Just wondering, why doesnt the IAF throw away the Migs 21s, it is a danger to lives of citizens and pilots too. They crash like anything.

Regards.

i am also surprised that why IAF is still going with old migs that are killing precious lives in crashes. they have budget and enough strength to get rid of them very soon because indian mig-21 are veru old like some of ours.

On 1 hand we are ordering in billions and also signed up a deal for 250 5th gen PAK FA but on the other some of our pilots are made to fly old Migs.
They should have been in junkyard!

Back
Top Bottom