What's new

Persecution of Orissa Christians by Hindu extremists continues

In my opinion, this seems to be more about the "power imbalance", between the developed world, and the developing world.

A power imbalance which grows even greater, when you think about the fact that these "missionaries" like to go to the poorest areas of these developing countries, to get more converts.

So it doesn't really seem like a "religious" issue to me. It's not about Buddhism vs Hinduism vs Christianity, it's about rich religious organizations, and the power imbalance they have over poor villagers in developing countries.

They are not given a fair and equal choice between the religions.

So it doesn't really seem like a "religious" issue to me. It's not about Buddhism vs Hinduism vs Christianity, it's about rich religious organizations, and the power imbalance they have over poor villagers in developing countries.

They are not given a fair and equal choice between the religions.

That is not quite the essence of the problem.

The essence of the problem is that many of the Churches and Ministries are, in effect, political parties, that too under the control of a foreign master.

China also has the same problem, but I have to say that the Communist Party of China has a much better understanding of the problem than people in India.

However, the Chinese approach to solving the problem is through suppression, whereas I favor solving it through better education, freedom of speech and exposing the issues in public discourse. But I also understand the limitations of this approach when the population is not educated.

That is not quite the essence of the problem.

The essence of the problem is that many of the Churches and Ministries are, in effect, political parties, that too under the control of a foreign master.

China also has the same problem, but I have to say that the Communist Party of China has a much better understanding of the problem than people in India.

However, the Chinese approach to solving the problem is through suppression, whereas I favor solving it through better education, freedom of speech and exposing the issues in public discourse. But I also understand the limitations of this approach when the population is not educated.

dont you think in our country india supression and ethnic cleansing is being used to deal with minorities?

@ Manas

You google it. its not he its she

and her name is Ms Madhuri Gupta.

I dont understand the situation in eastern India however.

It's all about education bro. Kerala ranks at the top above all states with it's literacy rate. On top of that the population between Hindus, Christians and Muslims are somewhat spread out evenly if not a tad less. On the other hand, the settlement of Muslims and arrival of Christianity was fairly peaceful as compared to say Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana etc. which faced on-going invasions from Mughals, Afghans and Persians.
Plus it's called "God's own country" for a reason.. damn have you visited the beaches?! :lol:

Under developed states on the other hand such as Orissa, Jharkhand, Bihar, Chattisgarh are all pretty much dominated with villages or simply "tribal areas" that rank the lowest in education and literacy and which have also encountered Mughals and Persians.. Hence they still hold on to their backward beliefs that intermarrying and converting is a taboo

Only states in NE who have Christan majority have militancy issues.

In fact to be honest , wherever we have Hindus not in majority in any state ,we have the issue of insurgency in some degree.

I think you are not aware of political issues. Check for MANIPUR. Hope with hindu majority its peaceful

I have some family in Hyderabad (India) and they say that they have to live in a Christian neighbourhood because they do not feel safe around people of different religions, other then their own. Same goes for my other family that have to live in Muslim majority neighbourhoods in Delhi and Rampur. Some apartments in cities like Navi Mumbai are for Hindus only and people from other religions are barred from even entering it.

even hindus are not allowed in jain societies....Jains are extreme vegetarians and don't even eat onion and garlic because of which they prefer to live in separate societies...

It's all about education bro. Kerala ranks at the top above all states with it's literacy rate. On top of that the population between Hindus, Christians and Muslims are somewhat spread out evenly if not a tad less. On the other hand, the settlement of Muslims and arrival of Christianity was fairly peaceful as compared to say Punjab, Rajasthan, Haryana etc. which faced on-going invasions from Mughals, Afghans and Persians.
Plus it's called "God's own country" for a reason.. damn have you visited the beaches?! :lol:

Under developed states on the other hand such as Orissa, Jharkhand, Bihar, Chattisgarh are all pretty much dominated with villages or simply "tribal areas" that rank the lowest in education and literacy and which have also encountered Mughals and Persians.. Hence they still hold on to their backward beliefs that intermarrying and converting is a taboo

I agree. Kerala was spared the Islamic Invasions and even during British Rule, except for Malabar Region, Kerala was under the rule of Maharaja. So comparing social structure of other Indian states with Kerala is not a good idea But that is not stopping 'secularists' and 'intellectuals' in Kerala in writing up articles about the 'threat' of Hindu radicalism in other Indian states.

Hmm..looks like Hindu tolerance is being tested to its limits in Kerala..I`ve always felt parts of Kerala are another Kashmir in the making and with the rise of outfits like the NDF and PDP along with the insidious communalism of IUML etc , this could well be coming true...

Assembly polls: Kerala results show religious polarization - The Times of India

Assembly polls: Kerala results show religious polarization

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The remarkable rally staged by the Left in Kerala which brought it to the brink of an unexpected victory appears to have been facilitated by a Hindu consolidation behind outgoing chief minister V S Achuthanandan.

The voting pattern displayed a communal polarization across the state, with Christians and Muslims consolidating behind Congress-led UDF, and the Hindu areas going with the CPM-led LDF in almost a repeat of the 1987 state polls.

The Congress and allies won maximum seats in Muslim-dominated Mallapuram and Christian belts Ernakulam and Kottayam. The CPM and allies won in Kannur, Kozhikode, Kollam, Palakkad, Alappuzha and Thiruvananthapuram, which all have significant Hindu concentration. Ezhavas, the community to which Achuthanandan belongs, were at the vanguard of Hindu consolidation for their man. Their pro-Achuthanandan fervour was evident in the Left's strong showing in Alappuzha where Congress had hoped to do well.

There were a few exceptions, but broadly, the Hindus gravitated towards the Left in reaction to the UDF's aggressive wooing of Christians and Muslims. In fact, Congress had sniffed the risk and decided to field state party chief Ramesh Chennithala to blunt the reaction among Hindus to the projection of Oomen Chandy as UDF's chief ministerial choice.

If its true then that's very sad for a secular country or for secularism

Whoever say that India is a secular state are living in some other planet, not even on earth. As long as muslims (being the major minority) dont have separate Law, till that we cannot call India as secular state.

Hmm..looks like Hindu tolerance is being tested to its limits in Kerala..I`ve always felt parts of Kerala are another Kashmir in the making and with the rise of outfits like the NDF and PDP along with the insidious communalism of IUML etc , this could well be coming true...

I was simply using Kerala as an example. Of course there are going to be minor religious clashes. You've got them here in the US too...
Other high ranking literate and developed states are also somewhat peaceful as compared to the more under developed such as Goa, Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Tripura etc.

Whoever say that India is a secular state are living in some other planet, not even on earth. As long as muslims (being the major minority) dont have separate Law, till that we cannot call India as secular state.

Worry about your own muslims who are involved in killing and plotting terror against other countries first

Worry about your own muslims who are involved in killing and plotting terror against other countries first

If you have anything to saying about the topic, then please go ahead, contemplate, else shut your mouth.

Innocent, your post reveals that

a) You have no understanding of the concept of secularism-This, from Wikipedia-Secularism is "Secularism is the belief that government or other entities should exist separately from religion and/or religious beliefs". So having separate laws for the Muslims would make India an Islamist Theocracy and not a secular state.

b) You are ignorant of the status of Muslims in India- Indian Muslims do have a separate Civil Code governing their personal affairs, which is based on the Sharia. http://www.law.yale.edu/rcw/rcw/jurisdictions/assc/india/India_Musl_Personal.pdf

This, despite the fact that many aspects of Muslim Personal Law contravene basic human liberties and freedoms guaranteed by the Indian constitution.

So, oddly enough, I agree with your point to an extent..India is not a secular state but an Islamist Theocracy for unfortunate Indian Muslim women who find themselves at the wrong end of the law- As a certain Shah Bano found out..

Shah Bano case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But India is a largely secular state, albeit with a few flaws, for the rest of the population..

Back
Top Bottom