What's new

Partition of Afghanistan

But not integrated as they should be.

they are, they have most of the gov officials be it high or low in the gov, they have most of the ministers, provincial governers, and the other top jobs as well as the ordinay officials, they have got more power than all the ethnic groups, but if we assume that fully integration means to have a 100 pashtoon made gov in afghanistan like during the taliban time, then that is not gona happen as 56-60% of the country is not pashtoon.

absolute majority of taliban are pashtoon, but pashtoons are not the taliban. pashtoons are poor people like the tajiks who are suffering from all this war for more than 3 decades.

Yes, thats always the case, probably 1% of the pashto population is taliban.and the whole community gets a bad name. Similar to how muslims are perceived in the wider world. that is unfortunate.
I hope taliban is rooted out of afghan and only the US is capable of doing it. the article is only suggesting that why should 60% of afghanistan suffer the taliban when they are not even pashto.

Tell me, do most pashtos support the taliban?

which part is wrong, that the pashtuns are the trouble makers? because they are the bulk of taliban. is pashto population more than 50% of afghanistan? i dont think so.

Population : Hazaras - 19%, Tajik - 25%, Pushtun - 38%, Uzbek - 6%

:disagree:

And regarding the partition, it will create the same mess the Egyptians have been warning off in Iraq... A powerless vacume that will threaten the entire region...

The iranian's and Mehdi's will be very happy with the present day Iraq and it is the same for certain factions within Afghanistan. ISAF has finally accepted that there is no victory to be had in Afghanista. Somthing people have been saying for a very long time.

For the sake of our Afghan neighbours, i hope that they don't just pack up and leave in 2-5 years times.There is still a lot of work to do in places like Helmand, the only place where the military operates with any authority is Kabul.

If they want the nation to be self reliant for security and law and order, a lot more time is needed to allow the ANA and ANPF to get on it's feet.

Sadly the are still trying to solve this problem by throwing money at it... :hitwall:

According to a recent BBC/ACB poll, only around 6% of the population supported the taliban.

then how come they are so powerful? the US is unable to defeat them, the locals dont support them. Then how are they able to keep power in the south?

Correction, to be a majority you don't need 51% of the votes, you need the highest votes. No ethnic group in Afghanistan is meaningfully united with the other - that makes the Pashtoons the majority and power brokers of Afghanistan.

The same general elections rules don't allow every where to the simple majority wins concept. Yes if the others unite against the Pashtoons that will be a different story, but we all know thats not going to happen any time soon.

Correction, to be a majority you don't need 51% of the votes, you need the highest votes. No ethnic group in Afghanistan is meaningfully united with the other - that makes the Pashtoons the majority and power brokers of Afghanistan.

The same general elections rules don't allow every where to the simple majority wins concept. Yes if the others unite against the Pashtoons that will be a different story, but we all know thats not going to happen any time soon.
yeah in india its different. you can lead with minoritys majority at the district level but in the end you still need 51% of seats to rule.

Same question for Afghanistan as for Iraq: if dividing the country? who will have the oil (money)? , Kurds will become billion ares with oil and Turkey will try to get that oil away from them. Sunnis will have no Oil rich area in Iraq if they get divided. Shiites will have oil rich south.

In Afghanistan who will have three trillion metals , Oil pipe line way and In a way It will be divided in Sunni (majority Pashton) and Shiite (NA) states.

they might get most of the votes, but not majority of the votes. ethnic groups in Afghanistan SADLY have their differences with each other, but they have all got problem with the pashtoons, that is good enough to put them in one line. It reminds me of different ethnic groups of afghanistan and their opinion regarding pakistan, pashtoons, tajiks, uzbeks and hazaras are all having negative view of pakistan with their different reasons, but if you ask anybody of them, they will give you an node and reasoning why.

absolute majority of taliban are pashtoon, but pashtoons are not the taliban. pashtoons are poor people like the tajiks who are suffering from all this war for more than 3 decades.

Most Taliban are Pashtoon and not Most Pashtoon are Taliban
Am i right:undecided::undecided::what::what:

Yes, that is right. Most or all the maoests are indians but not all indians are maoests.

i guess you are right.
but i fail to understand why Taliban would target other ethnic groups in Afghanistan they are also from same religion right:undecided::undecided:

What we need is a strong federal government in Afghanistan which has sovereignty over the entire land. Afghanistan need to move forward from tribalism to a modern federal state with a strong central government. This will be a daunting task .

What we need is a strong federal government in Afghanistan which has sovereignty over the entire land. Afghanistan need to move forward from tribalism to a modern federal state with a strong central government. This will be a daunting task .

what a wise person you are! I have always liked your balanced and good posts. Federalism have been good for other countries such as america/the uk/pak/india etc, then why not afghanistan? secondly, although tribalism is not common in all parts of afghanistan, but it needs to be rooted out in parts which it is practised, it will only come along with the other progress.

Hope this will help you

afghanistan-ethnic-map.jpg

The geographic distribution of the Pashtun according to the above map would not allow for an easy partition of Afghanistan on the basis of ethnicity - the Pashtun appear to live across the South, Central, Eastern and Western Afghanistan.

Secondly, if the argument is that the Taliban can be given control of the Pashtun provinces (and they'll settle for that) and be expected to not support 'global terrorism', then why can't that arrangement be arrived at within a united Afghanistan in the form of a Federation, with the various ethnically divided regions having significant autonomy along the likes of Iraq?

Autonomy for the provinces/regions within one nation would allow for self-government for the various ethnic groups and a respite from ethnic tensions possibly, while also keeping the nation intact and allowing for nationhood and unity amongst the various ethnic groups to grow over the longer term.

In addition, I have seen nothing in terms of Afghan opinion suggesting that there is a desire for partitioning Afghanistan amongst any of the ethnic groups. If anything there is a desire for expansionism, through acquisition of Pakistani territory, amongst some Afghan Pakhtun.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom