What's new

Pak's first women's band to rock India

Gabbar

Reaction score
Pak's first women's band to rock India
6325bbf08cb77e3236092ae540bcf23e._.jpg

MUMBAI: Zeb and Haniya, Pakistan’s first all-women rock band, are as far removed from the rock musician stereotype as sunlight from strobes. Haniya(right) and Zeb are from North West Frontier Province.
The Lahore-based duo, originally from the Taliban-infested North West Frontier Province, missed the opportunity to perform at an event in Chennai just after the 26/11 terror attacks. ‘‘Our visas expire in November,’’ says Haniya, who plays the acoustic guitar. ‘‘So despite being down with flu, we decided to come to India. I’ve been to Mumbai in the past but it is Zeb’s first visit.’’

The band is in India to perform and do a spot of networking. The duo, whose first album is called ‘Chup’, will also meet Louis Banks in Mumbai.

‘‘If things work out, we will come back to India, and if people like our music, we will keep coming back,’’ says Haniya.

The last time India heard a female pop singer from across the border was, perhaps, the late Nazia Hasan who rocked the nation in the 1970s with ‘Baat Ban Jaaye’. But things have changed since then, especially in the last few years. Many regulars like Atif Aslam and Shafqat Ammanat Ali have cut down on their visits to India after the terror attacks, while there has been resistance in certain quarters of the music industry to Pakistani artistes living and working in India.

Zeb and Haniya, however, are unfazed. ‘‘This opposition from the Indian music industry has certainly slowed down the business of Pakistani artistes, but music is something that has no boundaries,’’ declares Haniya. ‘‘And if people like our music we will certainly come back to India.’’

The women may be Pakistan’s first female band but they will certainly not be seen wearing T-shirt and jeans while performing on stage. ‘‘I normally wear a salwar kameez, but Haniya wears a kurta and jeans,’’ says Zeb. Haniya recalls a moment on stage much before they started their own band, when the Pakistani public hooted at her.

‘‘We were at a friend’s performance — she insisted that I go up on stage,’’ she says. ‘‘I was in a salwar kameez, and the moment I went up, the public started screaming, ‘Aunty, get off the stage.’ But after I started playing the guitar and singing, they all fell silent. By the end of it they were shouting, ‘Aunty, we love you!’’

See... These Pakistani people.. They can't do these type of shows in their own country.. And how India gives them respect. Pakistani singers and bands and so many .. comes India.. earn here.. and stay here for long without any problem. That because we are happy to have people to people contact. But hates when same Pakistani goverment sent terrorist in India!!! I belive that Pakistani people are very nice and great in their culture but don't know what happen when they come in to the power.. Same people in government start supporting anti-India elements here!!!

Sandeep, its not that they cant play in Pakistan, they can n they do, but in cities, same goes for India, Rock band cannot play in rural areas as the ppls there dont like it as compared to city ppls who are use to these kind of music and song. And would request you to keep India - Pakistan relation out of this topic. And is dont think music and songs are bounded by any kind of boundries, its the ppls who fence them for their own wicked mindset.

and BTW, would definately like to here them.

:welcome: to INDIA Zeb and Haniya :yahoo:

Congrats.... Hey guys can anyone tell me about Music group Junoon. I think that group was dissolved. I am big fan of them. Their sufi songs really rock. Ranging from baba bulleh shah

Sandeep, for your information they have performed in their homeland, Pakistan. We have many music shows in Pakistan of both male and female Pakistani singers.

By the way, millions in India understand the national language of Pakistan so why is it a big deal if they perform in India. American artists perform in Canada.

Just to prove to you that they have performed in their homeland, Pakistan.
Here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read this Article:---------Hope you will get your answer what I was trying to say------------

Why are Pak singers welcome when we are banned there?
Author: Anuradha Raman
Publication: Indian Express
Date: March 12, 2008
As if the new low in Indo-Pak relations was not bad enough, a group of Indian singers and filmmakers have begun striking discordant notes, questioning why the Government is rolling out the red carpet for Pakistani singers when Indians are not welcome across the border.

Artistes Abhijeet, Rajeswari (daughter of Lakhsmikant of the Pyarelal duo), Anup Jalota, filmmaker Shakti Samant and Azad Kamal shot off letters to the Prime Ministers Office, Information and Broadcasting Ministry, Defence and Home Ministries late last month, seeking a patient hearing, under the banner of National and Public Interest Society.

Although the artistes asserted they had not ganged up against their Pakistani counterparts, they demanded equal treatment. Pakistanis love popular Indian music and the singers who render them. But the problem is I am not welcome in Pakistan, says singer Abhijeet.

He points out how ghazal singer Jagjit Singh was asked to leave before a performance in Pakistan and how Lata Mangeshkar has never been issued an invite.Why are we falling flat in welcoming them, questions Abhijeet.

This group says they are trying to impress upon the Government to persuade Pakistan to open its doors to them, to perform and cut records. In short, make available to them the opportunities India extends to Pakistani artistes.

The subtle message here is: if we are not welcome in Pakistan, how are their singers performing in India? Abhijeet sums it when he says, We offer them the best hospitality here. This, when Indians are banned in Pakistan. As a singer, I want to higlight the dual policies being followed by the two countries.

There is, of course, another related problem. The success in India of Pakistani singers like Abida Parveen, Farida Khanum, Ghulam Ali and more recently Adnan Sami (though his agents deny he is Pakistani) is an opportunity that has been denied to the Indian side.

While the Indian Music Industry says the sale of recordings of Pakistani singers is miniscule when compared to Indian figures, the fact remains that singers from Pakistan have made a huge impact here, if the invitations issued to them are any indication. Adnan Samis media advisor says the singers ex-wife is from Pakistan and his parents are settled in UK and too much is being made of his Pakistan connections.

But Jalota says he would like Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee to ask President Musharraf to reverse his anti-India policy. Ghulam Ali and Mehdi Hassan should inform their President about the treatment meted out to Indian artistes, says Jalota. If front-ranking Pakistani singers can strike more than a chord in India, why should Indian singers be left behind? They come here and go back dripping in diamonds. I think its unfair, says a singer.

Samant is more blunt: Their singers are collecting money from performances and record sales while we are denied that. If our artistes want to shoot there, they should be allowed to do so. Lata was never invited while Noor Jehan came and was followed by others.

No restrictions are placed. We are stopped from performing anywhere there. Its time to address the issue, he says.

Sandeep, for your information they have performed in their homeland, Pakistan. We have many music shows in Pakistan of both male and female Pakistani singers.

By the way, millions in India understand the national language of Pakistan so why is it a big deal if they perform in India. American artists perform in Canada.

Just to prove to you that they have performed in their homeland, Pakistan.
Here:

[url="
- Zeb and Haniya - Chup[/url]

3XAO-IqPcn4[/media] - Chup

They really rock. I think they should be provided more exposure within Pakistan and at International platform.

No flames but still we see many Pakistani groups coming over to India but hardly find any music group going over to Pakistan. Indians too have maestro like Sonu Nigam etc.

Pakistan has great talents.

They really rock. I think they should be provided more exposure within Pakistan and at International platform.

No flames but still we see many Pakistani groups coming over to India but hardly find any music group going over to Pakistan. Indians too have maestro like Sonu Nigam etc.

Pakistan has great talents.

Indian singers have performed in Pakistan. Musicians have nothing to do with politics, their job is to sing and entertain.

See... These Pakistani people.. They can't do these type of shows in their own country.. And how India gives them respect. Pakistani singers and bands and so many .. comes India.. earn here.. and stay here for long without any problem. That because we are happy to have people to people contact. But hates when same Pakistani goverment sent terrorist in India!!! I belive that Pakistani people are very nice and great in their culture but don't know what happen when they come in to the power.. Same people in government start supporting anti-India elements here!!!

How can u claim this thing?

For your information they have performed in Pakistan in number of shows. There are dozens of male female music groups and they perform here and abroad. There are also many Indians who sing in Pakistan and many actors and actresses plays differnt roles in Pakistan drams and movies. If u need I can put references.........but I think u shld try to find out by urself to make habit to find truth b4 posting any comment.

I dont know how long people like you try to make flame or propoganda against Pakistan. Its very hard to change Indian mentality....you need a chance to speak against Pakistan.

Last edited:
Hey Sandeep, can you please cut the crap.

That would be really great. Thank you.

Guys there are number of Insians who sing in Pakistan and I personally attended few of them... there are also many who take part in Pak movies.

like on 14th August Shael sings with his mota pubby.

6681db9cae2fe2447c7449a5546cd95f._.jpg

Sukhbir sings dozens of times in Pakistan.
Daler mehndi came here 2 years back.

Daler Mehndi’s awaaz wows fans in Pakistan- 2004 Show

There number of films in which Indian artists played their role.
Jinnah... (A Pakistan's one of the best movie and Shashi Kapoor was in that)

Emraan Hashmi came here in Pak dozens of times. Also played role in "Awarapan"

Another movie KHUDA KAY LIYE in which Nasserudin Shah played a Molana role.

Last edited:
This post is for Sandeep

Buddy visit Coke Studio and please give me a similar link where Indian singers have done something like this. Fusion, Transition and Eastern Western classic mix etc.

Sandeep any Indian singer ever did performance like this?? if yes then come & tell me

Amalgam of Sufi & Modern Music

Cut ur crap

Back
Top Bottom