What's new

Pakistan's top judge reinstated

Pakistan court reinstates top judge

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - The Supreme Court on Friday reinstated Pakistan's top judge, ruling that his suspension by President Gen. Pervez Musharraf was "illegal" and dealing a major blow to Musharraf's standing.

Presiding Justice Khalil-ur-Rehman Ramday said Musharraf's order suspending Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammed Chaudhry was "set aside as being illegal."

Chaudhry's March 9 suspension had sparked protests by lawyers and opposition parties that have grown into a powerful pro-democracy movement just as Musharraf faces a rising tide of Islamic militancy.

The verdict is probably the biggest challenge to Musharraf's dominance since he seized power in a coup in 1999. It could further complicate his bid to win a new five-year presidential term this fall.

A GREAT BLOW TO THE DICTATORSHIP OF MUSHARRAF. HOPE COURT WILL BE FREE TO TAKE MORE AND MORE BOLD JUDGEMENTS AS TAKEN UNDER C.J. IFTIKHAR CHAUDHARY IN MANY CASES.

Actually this proves one thing and thats ''mushy isn't a dictator.if he was press and law would have been all under the belt.so its a great day for Pakistan

question about steel mill being to cheap or 2 expensive to untrained eyes all deals made by governments looks bad.
reason i said that if in the long run business is only making money cause its a monopoly will not grow there is no chance in hell they will spend money on research and development.always hire people cause some one knows them even though they don't deserve it.
point is in the long run cry now or cry later u will cry.but the pain that will come to monopolized business will be lot harder then losing few bucks now.

best example to get a telephone connection in Pakistan used to take any where from 10 to 20 years.now walk in pay for it and few hours you have phone.Pakistan telephone company have to compete..
ptv losing revenue by millions why monopoly look at there programming and look at others.to late to sell them no one will buy it.guess what costing millions to keep it going at tax payers expense.:crazy:

Today when I turned on Pakistani television, I saw fanatics, the greedy and the plain stupid people going crazy with glee.

The few people who do oppose Musharraf for the sake of pure/true ideological democracy know it fully well that Musharraf's replacement is a tyrant.

Musharraf is an Army man with a sense of duty to his country. Not like the Mr10%'s and industrialists.

I wouldn't put it that far since I can't read his mind, but he's doing the best humanly possible.

He's even made a deal with his enemy Ms. Bhutto apparently who will undoubtedly not play ball once she becomes Prime Minister.

But she seems to be under a strict leash by the Americans and so if she turns hostile to Mush after her election, the American involvement in all this would be very clear... I always had my doubts that the CJ saga went so bad as it did because of American influence - the Pakistani opposition didn't have it in them to do this on their own. Musharraf's being played by America.

BB supports Mush, publicly these days but also has appointed Aitezaz (a PPPP worker) as the CJ's Top lawyer. Mush probably knows this but has been outplayed by this foreign element.

Way out? I got a few theories like to hear from you guys first.

Strict leash of the americans, the plight of the pakistani for his own independence and identity

That's true for pretty much all of the world.

Heck people accuse Bin Laden to be in cahoots with the Americans, I've only accused a BB.

Compared to BB, Musharraf never was an American "praiser"/"worshiper". Americans are undoubtedly right in their "War on Terror" concept. Musharraf was just doing the right thing. He also went against the Americans on a number of occasions. I have a feeling BB would allow American troops on Pakistani soil which is what the ouster of Musharraf is all about for Americans.

Please do echo that when we do become one, till it is just a sour dream...lol

You will see the next decade who is the pupeteer

PS: Nice to see you back

Unfortunately I don't think it will be permanent... Maybe just Fridays (our day off).

Now, in the media you might be reading his suspension was illegal - this is bogus. The court case was never about his suspension - it's just Pak media trying to prove itself correct. The court case was about whether there was any evidence for Musharraf's charges. The CJ's suspension was CONSTITUTIONALLY LEGAL though.

Constitutional right of the President would be suspend the Cj if he is in reciept of proof and evidence that CJ has misused his authority.

Or does the Constitution says that the President can suspend the CJ at will.

Haha, I have a sneaky feeling the CJ's been bought off :P...

Or scared off. Remember the bomb blast in Islamabad a few days back.

If it's all clean, then you got to consider that it was Musharraf who allowed all this to happen. It's not like he was forced to let this happen, he declared Judicial non-interference as early as april then in a public speech on May 12... Trust me he was not "forced" to let it happen..

Well we saw what happened, right? What was all those killing and shooting in Karachi about? No pressure uh!!! I saw members right in this forum saying 'ushraff is under pressure' 'his greatness will be when he bows to pressure and takes back his decision' and so on.

And yeah wasnt he under house arrest, what was it for and why was it lifted?

No pressure, Uh.

That was all protocol and simplistic stuff. People were hung in Pakistan previously. The house arrest was for his protection and soon lifted. If Mushy wanted him dead, he could've gone missing in the chaos that he created in Karachi itself.

Constitutional right of the President would be suspend the Cj if he is in receipt of proof and evidence that CJ has misused his authority.
He did have proof. Just not enough.

Actually the reference was on solid ground, its just public opinion that played in his favor I guess. He was accused of corruption and nepotism and he still hasn't faced those charges, he went free on the methodology the government used to present the reference.

This is pretty much the exit the government wanted, we will be clear of that if the government doesn't file that second reference against him or sends this verdict for review. Nothing good would've come out for the government by winning this case.

That was all protocol and simplistic stuff. People were hung in Pakistan previously. The house arrest was for his protection and soon lifted. If Mushy wanted him dead, he could've gone missing in the chaos that he created in Karachi itself.

And what would have happened to Mushraff if the CJ was killed?

He did have proof. Just not enough.

Lol..a SSG commando, Army Chief and President of the nation didnt know the simplest fact that he has to have ' enough proof ' to suspend the CJ of a country, didnt he have anybody to consult with?

Back
Top Bottom