Pakistan's progress in cricket World Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.U.R.B.

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Just keep the whole discussion about the progress of team Pakistan aggregated in one thread,instead of opening multiple threads per match and segregating the issue.

Best of luck to team Pakistan.:pakistan:
Mods, please make it a sticky in the cricket section for an easy access.

Afridi desperate to avoid repeat of upsets

HAMBANTOTA: Pakistan face Kenya in their opening World Cup match tomorrow, desperate to atone for their tragedy-hit 2007 tournament.
Four years ago, Pakistan suffered an embarrassing three-wicket defeat by Ireland and crashed out in the first round. Captain Shahid Afridi said his team will take all opponents here seriously.
“There have been so many upsets in the World Cup in the past, like the one against Ireland four years ago,” said Afridi. “So we have that in mind and we will be on our toes in every match, be it Kenya or Sri Lanka.”
Waqar staying clear of controversy
Pakistan coach Waqar Younis said that the spot-fixing scandal, which sparked lengthy bans for three players, will not haunt his embattled team at the World Cup.
“I don’t think it will haunt Pakistan at all,” said Waqar. “We all know that we have been through tough times in the recent past but that does not mean that we don’t have talent. “Despite the problems we are a good enough team to beat anybody.”
Meanwhile, Former Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene said his team was looking forward to their first real test in the World Cup against Pakistan after crushing Canada in their opening match.
“We’re looking forward to our next match against Pakistan who are a very good side,” said Jayawardene. “Pakistan have got some great individual players and we know how dangerous they can be, so we have to prepare ourselves and go in with a very positive mindset.”

Afridi desperate to avoid repeat of upsets – The Express Tribune

Tomorrow is Kenya Vs Pakistan.........so, it will be a good start i guess.Go go Afridi.....get in some sort of hitting form.:bounce:

MEN IN GREEN LOOKING TO WIN ICC WORLD CUP 2011

Pakistan v Kenya: After all the controversies in recent times, it is about time Team Pakistan start concentrating on achieving something big as they take on Kenya today in their opening match of the ICC World Cup 2011 at Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium, Sooriyawewa, Hambantota.

Pakistani team’s performance on the recent tour of New Zealand has given some hope to the cricket fans of the country after a disastrous year of 2010.

Pakistan had a very good World Cup of 1999 when they reached the final of the event under the inspirational leadership of Wasim Akram.

However, the next two World Cups in 2003 and 2007 could not have been worse for Pakistan as they were eliminated in the first round of both the events. On top of that, Pakistani coach, Bob Woolmer, was found dead in his hotel room after a horrific defeat against a young Irish side in the previous edition of the tournament.

After both the World Cups, Pakistan cricket had to go through a re-building phase.

Apart from their failures, another similarity in Pakistan’s campaigns in 2003 and 2007 have been the fact that they visited South Africa just before the World Cup and were defeated badly on both the occasions, which shattered Pakistan’s team confidence before the mega events.

However, the situation is very different now as Pakistan had a successful tour of New Zealand, which has boosted the morale of Pakistani players.

The former champions of the most illustrious tournament of the cricketing world would love to repeat their performance of the 1992 World Cup where they came from no-where and were crowned as world champions.

Imran Khan and Javed Miandad played the role of mentors during that tournament for their young team, which was jolted with injuries to their premier players, Waqar Younis, and, Saeed Anwar.

The situation is quite similar with the current Pakistani team as they have been badly hampered by the lengthy bans on three of their key players, Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif.

The likes of Afridi, Younis, Misbah and Abdul Razzaq might not have the stature of Imran Khan or Javed Miandad but Pakistani cricket fans would be hoping that they can play the same role in the ICC World Cup 2011.

Pakistan’s team seems to have peaked at the right time and have found a very good combination recently in the limited overs format of the game with a beautiful blend of youth and experience.

Waqar Younis and Shahid Afridi would be hoping that the Men in Green can carry on with the same momentum that they got against the Black Caps.

Younis Khan, Misbah ul Haq and the Akmal brothers would have to lead the Cornered Tigers in the batting department if they are to do well in the mega event.

On the other hand, the onus would be on Umar Gul and the skipper to lead the way in the bowling department.

Pakistan’s performance in any big event can be measured by the way they field, if they field well in this tournament, they surely have a high chance of surprising some of the hot-favourites of this tournament.

The wait is over for Pakistan fans

Cricket-World-cup-ILLUSTRATION-S.JAMAL_211-640x480.jpg

HAMBANTOTA: Pakistan kick off their World Cup campaign against Kenya today as captain Shahid Afridi vowed to win the World Cup for millions of weary fans back home who lost out on the showpiece event when their country became a no-go zone.
International cricket has been suspended in Pakistan ever since the attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore two years ago which left eight people dead and injured seven visiting players and their assistant coach. Pakistan were among the four co-hosts of the 2011 World Cup but the International Cricket Council was forced to move the matches.
“Not playing in our country is on our minds,” said Afridi. “We feel for our nation, our people who are missing the World Cup.”
Besides the suspension of international cricket, Pakistan has also been hit by the spot-fixing scandal, which ended in lengthy bans on Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir. Afridi admitted it was hard to keep the team in the right frame of mind against a background of such problems.
“It was difficult to keep the team settled in the beginning,” said Afridi, himself banned for two matches on charges of ball-tampering during a One-Day International (ODI) in Australia in 2010. “We had to rebuild but now our team is settled.”
The Pakistan Cricket Board delayed in retaining him as captain for the World Cup until he won his first ODI series in New Zealand earlier this month.
“It’s difficult to be the captain in India or Pakistan, you have to make sacrifices. But my effort is always that I do well as a captain or as a player.”
‘Team eager to start afresh’
Coach Waqar Younis also sang the same tune and believed the spot-fixing scandal will not have a detrimental effect.
“Whatever happened last year is now history. This is a new place and an important tournament, so we want to be fully focussed and start the event like India and New Zealand did.”
Hapless Kenya aim for improvement
Kenya captain Jimmy Kamande vowed to have a different approach, after his team was shot out for a paltry 69 against New Zealand.
“Next game, it’ll be different opposition and a different approach from us,” said Kamande, whose team reached the semi-final in the 2003 World Cup. “I would be happy as long as we improve.”
Kenya have never met Pakistan in a World Cup match but have lost all five ODIs against the 1992 champions.
Junaid ready to seize chance
Barely a month ago rookie fast-bowler Junaid Khan was planning to watch the World Cup on television. But Sohail Tanvir’s injury gave him the chance to play on the biggest stage.
The 21-year-old is now aiming to step into the shoes of Mohammad Amir, who is serving a five-year ban on charges of corruption.
“I wish I was given a chance with him,” said Khan, who is from Sawabi, a small town in Pakistan’s troubled Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa. “But it’s fate. I am happy to be part of the Pakistan team and want to do my best. We started our careers almost at the same time and were part of the junior team for the under-19 World Cup in 2008.”

Pakistan-looking-to-win-ICC-World-Cup-2011,-start-against-Kenya-56838.jpg

The wait is over for Pakistan fans – The Express Tribune

Pakistan bamboozle hapless Kenya

Pakistan’s massive 205-run win against Kenya is their biggest win in World Cups and the eighth largest overall.

HAMBANTOTA: Captain Shahid Afridi took five wickets and Umar Akmal scored a half-century as Pakistan crushed Kenya by 205 runs to get their World Cup campaign off to a flying start.
Kenya found their opponents too hot to handle after Umar hit a 52-ball 71 to anchor Pakistan’s total of 317 for seven before they bundled out their rivals for just 112 in 33.1 overs.
Kenya, who lost by 10 wickets to New Zealand in their opening match, bowled a record-equalling 37 wides in a hapless display.
Afridi wants more
Despite the emphatic win, Afridi said that he was not 100 per cent satisfied and wanted an improved show in the next match against Sri Lanka that takes place on Saturday.
“Sri Lanka are a good side and the home advantage would give them confidence,” said the all-rounder at the post-match press conference. “Our openers will have to lift their performance as their partnerships are always important.”
Pakistan had been sluggish at the start with openers Mohammad Hafeez (nine) and Ahmed Shahzad (one) falling in quick succession, leaving their team struggling at 12 for two in the seventh over.
“Sri Lanka have good bowlers especially [Muttiah] Muralitharan and the return of [Lasith] Malinga will boost them as well.
“Consistency in our bowling would be the key.”
Pakistan headed for a 300-plus courtesy Umar Akmal (71), Misbah-ul-Haq (65), Kamran Akmal (55) and Younus Khan (50).
Man-of-the-match Umar, 21, playing his first World Cup tie, gave the innings a final flourish, sharing a rapid 118-run stand for the fifth wicket with in-form Misbah who was equally aggressive during his 69-ball stay.
With Umar and Misbah in full swing, Pakistan racked up 70 runs in the batting Powerplay, with the junior Akmal hitting four boundaries off one Elijah Otieno over.
Kenya equalled the highest number of wides bowled in a One-Day International innings of 37 conceded by the West Indies against Pakistan at Brisbane in 1989.
‘We did not experiment’
The 30-year-old captain added that Pakistan did not experiment even though they were playing the minnows. “We were focused on winning the match to avoid any upset we’ve suffered in the past tournaments.”
Afridi, who snapped up the first five-wicket haul in the ongoing World Cup, hoped to continue his good bowling form.
“I am very with my performance and looking forward to it as pitches suit the spinners here.”
Wasim gives tips to Wahab, Junaid
Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram gave tips to the two upcoming fast-bowlers – Wahab Riaz and Junaid Khan – representing the national team, ahead of their opening World Cup encounter against Kenya. The legendary left-arm fast-bowler accepted a request by the team management and spent some time with the duo, giving them advise.
“I was asked by the management to give tips to the two left-arm pacers,” said Akram. “It would be an absolute pleasure if my tips benefit Pakistan.”
However, both bowlers were chosen to be rested for the opening match yesterday. “Akram’s guidance will certainly help the bowlers for the entire tournament and the request was not just for a specific match,” said a team official.

Pakistan bamboozle hapless Kenya – The Express Tribune

That makes three bowling coaches present there at the same time,Wasim Akram,Waqar Younis and Aquib Javed...all the 1992 worldcup champs,what else they require now.

some pics.

Pakistan-team-Photo-AFP-640x480.jpg

Umar-Akmal-Photo-AFP1-640x480.jpg

afridi-afp-4-640x480.jpg

Not happy with the performance of Pakistan team .there were really major faults on the part of players that would have been easily capitalized by any stronger team .Specially when we were 12/2 after 7 overs.There were many major flaws .i would like to mention few of them

1)Poor bit of game plan specially for the openers ,they were really been defensive form the word go and playing Kenyan bowlers as if they were playing Bret Lee or Mcgrath

2) Fast bowlers were not upto the power specially Abdul Razzaq who really got a beating from a minow team

3) Batting Power play was delayed for too late especially when wickets were in hand and two set batsman were batting

4) Afridi has no sense as a captain ,he is really a defensive captain totally opposite when you see in the lights of WC winning captains like Imran khan, Ponting,Steve Waugh,Ranatunga all were aggressive captains

5)Today i was listening to Afridi's interview and i don't like what he said ,i don't want to call him but that dumb person said "I would like that me and Abdul Razzaq would have as less balls to face as possibly we can.the less balls we both will face will be better" don't he know he is a captain and a leader he needs to lead from front by statements like this what he is trying to convey? He has no guts to win a WC for Pakistan ,if Pakistan will win it will surely be a miracle not because of his so called leadership . If he and Abdul Razzaq don't want to face much balls then why they are in team specially Abdul Razzaq when he is also not balling well.
If you remember Imran Khan in 92 WC batted at 3 position so he can himself face the new ball in order to defend the other less experience players from a difficult situation .I hope Imran Khan after listening to Afridi will be cursing him

Afridi have same mindset like Inzamam who was a good player but always batted so lower down and his defensive mindset was one of the reason of the failure of our team

Their were several weak points in Pakistan's performance and I am not satisfied with them even with this victory of 205 runs. The fact is our opening failed once again. Fast bowlers didn't perform to their talent. Their are several question marks over afridi's captaincy. He lacked the aggressiveness that Imran Khan had in 1992 WC. The fact we did made mistake and any stronger team can easily exploit those mistakes for a victory. I didn't he know why he said that he and Razzaq should face less balls as possible. This is ridiculous. With this kind of attitude from the captain we don't expect any good performance by team green against any stronger opposition. If they don't improve themselves on these points then we should be ready for some defeats.

Today they need to bring on Ajmal back in the playing eleven.Srilankan team will be a hard nut to crack after watching the performance of Pakistani fast bowlers in the initial 10 overs with the new ball against kenya.They can afford to sacrifice one fast bowler,rather i will suggest replacing Abdul Razzak with Ajmal.

Waqar plays down Murali threat

COLOMBO: Pakistan coach Waqar Younis played down the threat from Muttiah Muralitharan ahead of their crucial World Cup clash with Sri Lanka on Saturday, saying their batsmen had coped with him in the past.
A capacity 35,000-crowd is expected to fill the Premadasa stadium in Colombo for the Group A match — the first big test for both teams after Sri Lanka easily rolled over Canada and Pakistan crushed Kenya.
“In the past if Muralitharan had plans for us, we have played really well against him in this country.
“I don’t think we should worry about him that much, he is not 28 anymore,” said Waqar of the 38-year-old off-spinner, who has 521 wickets in 342 one-day internationals — a world record.
“It is not going to be easy for him any more. We are prepared not only for him but the entire team because we know it’s an important match for us and we need to keep the momentum going.”
Waqar admitted Sri Lanka would be tough to beat in home conditions.
“Sri Lanka on their home ground are very good, very difficult to beat. Here the conditions and weather help them, but the way we have played and trained and with our momentum, I am hopeful we can beat them,” said the coach.
Waqar said he was looking to Abdul Razzaq to boost his tally of runs.
“I think Razzaq has done really well with the ball, but he hasn’t delivered the goods with the bat apart from one game in Abu Dhabi.
“No doubt he is our striker in both batting and bowling,” said Waqar of the all-rounder, who hit a quickfire century against South Africa last year.
“It’s right he comes in at eight, but then again we have five batsman, our keeper (Kamran Akmal) is more of a batsman and then there is (Shahid) Afridi, so he doesn’t really fit in at the moment. But if we need to send him up the order, if runs are required, we might push him.”
Waqar also admitted wicket-taking off-spinner Saeed Ajmal was unfortunate not to win a place in the eleven.
“We are just going to go with the best combination, what we probably had in the last match, just the best team with which we can win and it’s unfortunate that Ajmal is not fitting into it,” said Waqar of the 33-year-old off-spinner.
Ajmal, the team’s main one-day spinner until last year, has not played for Pakistan since his father’s death in January.

Waqar plays down Murali threat – The Express Tribune

Team Pakistan’s first real challenge

By Salman Ahmad

Cricket teams rarely experience success unless they have fun doing what they are doing. Pakistan genuinely look like they’re having fun while playing cricket and this was beautifully illustrated at the MRIC stadium in Hambantota when Umar Akmal ran out Kenyan opener, Waters, and revealed a glimpse of the newfound joy and exuberance experienced by this talented Pakistani side. Akmal sprinted jubilantly across the stumps with a wild and happy smile, proudly embracing his captain Shahid Afridi with a two-handed high five.
That spirit of passion and enthusiasm was clearly present and infectious throughout Pakistan’s performance against Kenya.

Some cricketing experts, like Ian Chappell, are suggesting that Pakistan’s win against a weak Kenya isn’t really worth getting excited about. In a recent TV discussion, Chappell didn’t even mention Pakistan’s name when considering his top teams for the world cup. I beg to differ.

The reason we should be celebrating Pakistan’s first 2011 World Cup victory is not just because of the team’s excellent all-round performance, its 205-run margin of victory or other record-breaking statistics. Pakistan’s fielding and catching, which has always been a weak point, is now of a professional standard, and the credit should go to the coach, Waqar Younis.

But the most important aspect of the win was the positive body language shown by Shahid Afridi’s team. Like a well-tuned orchestra, it perfectly timed its performance to reach a feverish crescendo. From being 12-2 after seven overs, Pakistan plundered 305 runs of the next 43.

Umar Akmal, making his world cup debut, showed why I consider him to be among the most exciting and talented batsmen in the world, cutting, pulling, driving and paddle-sweeping his way to a brilliant 71 from 52 balls. Misbahul Haq and Younis Khan are a crucial steadying influence in the middle order and provide a stability that Pakistan desperately needs.

Looking ahead: It was a good performance to bowl Kenya out, but the opening bowling slot needs to be sorted out quickly. The key to restricting the top teams to modest totals is taking quick early wickets with the new ball. Although Shoaib Akhtar bowled five fast, accurate and economical overs he, like his new-ball partner Abdul Razzaq, failed to take a wicket. As for the latter, he is being wrongly used as an opening bowler since he neither has the movement nor the pace to bother top-class batsmen on these slow wickets. Also, Wahab Riaz should perhaps be brought in Abdur Rehman’s place to open the bowling with Akhtar.
Pakistan should go in with Akhtar, Wahab, Gul and Afridi while Hafeez and Razzaq should share ten overs between them during the middle period. That means leaving out Rehman for the next game as the Sri Lankans are excellent players of left-arm spin anyway.

Another point is the opening bowling mindset. I feel containment will not be a successful policy during the world cup; not in the subcontinent. An example of this failed containment policy was when Holland scored 293 against England but still lost, primarily, because they could not take early wickets and couldn’t stop the English charge.
Now to our batting: To make the batting order even stronger Abdul Razzaq should come in ahead of Afridi. That might upset a lot of his supporters but the captain himself confessed to Rameez Raja in the post-game interview after the Kenya match that his bowling is more consistent than his unpredictable batting. Razzaq, on the other hand, is far more mentally organised as a batsman, has a better track record and could use the extra time on the crease to play himself in.

Although Afridi’s billed as ‘boom boom’ by the media and his fans, he comes off only once in every five or so innings. That’s the entire first round of the world cup. He also has the added burden of captaincy to worry about.
Needless to say, it is crucial for Pakistan to get its batting and bowling combinations right. The first real test to their challenge will come today in Colombo. In this, it will help if they continue to have fun and relax while playing.

Team Pakistan

Here is an interesting article by David Dwyer.
david-dwyer.thumbnail.jpeg

Pakistan cricketers: Fitness key to batting form

The endless late nights comprising hours of pajama cricket have commenced, Black Eyed Peas is blaring out after every boundary scored and the countless commercials will play for the next six weeks.

Perhaps what keeps most Pakistani cricket fanatics up at night is debating their side’s batsmen and their batting order. ‘Why don’t they move this person down and they should play this guy’ are just two of the comments thrown at me continuously over the past three years.

My batting expertise comprises slogging a Shoaib Akhtar half-tracker that he lobbed at me when I first arrived at the NCA on a Sunday afternoon. That was meant as a welcome gift, marking my arrival into Pakistan. Next up, I danced down the track, only to end up crumpled as Shoaib dug in a bouncer which hit me in the ribs.

Moving onto more experienced batsmen, I can safely say that some of Misbahul Haq’s fitness figures were fantastic and equal to international players. His leg strength was incredible and held the fitness testing record for back squat at 135 kilogramme. This allows him to maintain speed on the field, especially over short distances when he fields inside the circle.

Ahmed Shehzad is still quite young and thankfully he learnt that if he wants to be part of the team, he needs to make sure that he remains fit. His strength is his speed over short distances as his upper-body strength is developing.

Where do I start with Younus Khan? His flexibility is incredible. His aerobic endurance, while pounding out the distance on the hills of Bhurban, was extraordinary and his core strength is excellent.

Funnily enough, he’s a guy who has stayed away from injuries because maintaining fitness has always been important to him. His 313 against Sri Lanka in Karachi’s 35-plus heat and high humidity was a testament to his fitness.

He’s hardly going to set the World’s strongest man records but his engine could run for an eternity. In this day and age, where players are asked to play cricket for at least 250 days a year, that is a perfect trait to have.

One from the young brigade, Umar Akmal, now understands the importance of training. He was always asking questions about his gym work, always recovering properly and trying to wear clothes that were cooler than me.

A lot is going to be asked of this guy on the field and he needs to keep working like he has over the past 18 months. There are no short-cuts to greatness and he needs to make sure he understands that well in order to maintain the form that he had at the start of his career.

As these guys prepare for the coming weeks, one thing they can take absolute confidence in is that they, and the rest of the squad, have done the work to be able to endure the length of this tournament as well as the testing conditions they find themselves in.

Inshallah they will score a lot of runs and with that, put the much-needed pressure on the opposition. Good luck , guys.

Pakistan cricketers: Fitness key to batting form – The Express Tribune Blog

Well the last match was full of mistakes but the bowlers kept it tight and steady,and we were fortunate enough to win it in the end.Thanks God,the Srilankan team was looking hasty and worried under the immense crushing home crowd pressure......lolzzz, they took the power play a bit early as well.

But i think we committed some big blunders like,
1-Kamran Akmal running hafiz out of the match.
2-Then he(K.Akmal) himself got bogged down and just couldn't bear the pressure and got out,instead of making a partnership with Younis khan ...the man of incredible flexibility and high aerobic endurance as David Dwyer puts in his article...did it again.:)
3-Again taking the 3rd powerplay right in the late 40's.
4-Kamran Akmal again missing two stumping chances.Srilankan skipper got a lot of chances there.
5-Some catches were dropped.etc....

I'll say it again Abdul Razzak's induction in the playing Eleven is a big question mark.Don't know what he's doing while comming on number 8 in the last 46 to 48th over and opening the bowling when we have umer gul and shoaib for the same purpose.

Playing him(Razzak) on the slower tracks and resting Ajmal who is a wicket taker and can ball his over quick before the opposition settles down is really ridiculous.
The next match is on 3rd March with Canada ,a comparatively weaker opponent.I'll suggest the following team.

1-Kamran Akmal
2-Ahmed Shahzad
3-Muhammad Hafeez
4-Younis khan
5-Asad Shafique(Misbah needs to be rested because of his injury)
6-Umer Akmal
7-Shahid Afridi
8-Saeed Ajmal
9-Abdur Rehman
10-Wahab riaz( Shoiab needs to be rested for bigger matches.)
11-Umer Gul

Thats four spinners and 2 fast bowlers against Canada.

Go team Pakistan ,yeah it's time to roar.
king-afridi-drags-pakistan-across-the-line

shahidafridi.jpg

Well the last match was full of mistakes but the bowlers kept it tight and steady,and we were fortunate enough to win it in the end.Thanks God,the Srilankan team was looking hasty and worried under the immense crushing home crowd pressure......lolzzz, they took the power play a bit early as well.

But i think we committed some big blunders like,
1-Kamran Akmal running hafiz out of the match.
2-Then he(K.Akmal) himself got bogged down and just couldn't bear the pressure and got out,instead of making a partnership with Younis khan ...the man of incredible flexibility and high aerobic endurance as David Dwyer puts in his article...did it again.:)
3-Again taking the 3rd powerplay right in the late 40's.
4-Kamran Akmal again missing two stumping chances.Srilankan skipper got a lot of chances there.
5-Some catches were dropped.etc....

I'll say it again Abdul Razzak's induction in the playing Eleven is a big question mark.Don't know what he's doing while comming on number 8 in the last 46 to 48th over and opening the bowling when we have umer gul and shoaib for the same purpose.

Playing him(Razzak) on the slower tracks and resting Ajmal who is a wicket taker and can ball his over quick before the opposition settles down is really ridiculous.
The next match is on 3rd March with Canada ,a comparatively weaker opponent.I'll suggest the following team.

1-Kamran Akmal
2-Ahmed Shahzad
3-Muhammad Hafeez
4-Younis khan
5-Asad Shafique(Misbah needs to be rested because of his injury)
6-Umer Akmal
7-Shahid Afridi
8-Saeed Ajmal
9-Abdur Rehman
10-Wahab riaz( Shoiab needs to be rested for bigger matches.)
11-Umer Gul

Thats four spinners and 2 fast bowlers against Canada.

Go team Pakistan ,yeah it's time to roar.
king-afridi-drags-pakistan-across-the-line

shahidafridi.jpg

I think its just to facilitate the batting due to the known fragility we have in batting .so the plan is to have an extra batsman who in time of need can come in and smash couple here and there .Similar to what Shane Watson is doing for Australia though he is an opener but still his bowling is similar to what A.R holds

A.R is now to somewhat a part timer who can facilitate in batting and bowling when needed what i m more worried about is Gul .also i want to see Ajmal play

King Afridi drags Pakistan across the line

COLOMBO: Pakistan beat a powerful Sri Lankan side for their second World Cup win, sending out an ominous statement of intent to their rivals as Bangalore geared up for the India-England showdown.
A sell-out crowd of 35,000 packed the R Premadasa stadium in Colombo to witness the much-anticipated Group A clash between the 1992 winners Pakistan and 1996 champions Sri Lanka, who both enjoyed convincing opening victories.
The crucial 11-run win has proved that nobody can write off Pakistan’s chances in the World Cup, said captain Shahid Afridi in a post-match press conference.
“I always believe that Pakistan have the potential and today I can say we are one of the favourites,” said the captain who became the first Pakistan spinner to reach 300 wickets in One-Day Internationals.
“Everybody knows beating Sri Lanka on their ground is one of the toughest job sas they have become a very tough side, especially at home. No doubt it is a huge victory and it will help us in the rest of the tournament as the players must have gained a lot of confidence.”
Improve fielding or pack your bags, team told
The captain, however, warned the team to improve their fielding for the future following disasters that almost let Sri Lanka sneak past the finish line.
“We missed easy chances and that was really strange as well as disappointing. We need to improve our fielding as the tournament will get tougher and tougher. If we fail to improve, then we’ll probably be heading back to Pakistan very soon.”
Kamran Akmal was guilty of missing two easy stumpings off left-armer spinner Abdul Rehman with the hosts’ captain Kumar Sangakkara the beneficiary. Rehman also dropped a sitter just outside the circle while Younus Khan missed one running back at short third-man.
“After taking four quick wickets, we became a bit relaxed and that’s something we can’t afford to do.”
The captain, however, prasied the senior members of team for carrying Pakistan to a total the bowlers just about managed to defend.
“I always say that seniors are very important apart from the captain. I’m very happy the way Younus, Misbah and Shoaib Akhtar are performing, especially how the fast-bowler is bowling with the new ball.”
Afridi, who recorded Pakistan’s best bowling figures of five for 16 in all World Cup matches in the 205-run win against Kenya in the team’s tournament opener, reached his personal landmark in his 314th match by dismissing Sangakkara. Needless to say, the captain was more than a happy man.
“I wanted to make a name as an all-rounder and am delighted to have achieved that. Bowling remains my priority and I’m looking forward to performing consistently for my team.” (With additional input from AFP)
Team not worried by Shiv Sena
Pakistan remain hopeful that the ICC would ensure a clean path to Mumbai, amid warnings by Shiv Sena, if they reach the World Cup final scheduled to be played in the Indian metropolis on April 2.
Bal Thackeray, leader of the Shiv Sena, said he would not allow Pakistan to play in India, threatening to dig up the pitch and pour oil on it if Pakistan attempt to play at the venue. The team was issued Indian visas yesterday as it planned for a possible quarter-final, semi-final and final in India.
“It’s a long way to the final and right now, it’s not an issue,” said Pakistan manager Intikhab Alam. “We’re not concerned as we’re playing an ICC tournament and will follow what the governing body decides. Hopefully the ICC will make things clear as we’re ready to play at any venue.”

King Afridi drags Pakistan across the line – The Express Tribune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom