What's new

Pakistan's Airborne Early Warning and Control Aircrafts

Hi, the ERIEYE is a good acquisition for the PAF and looks really nice. However, I just wish the PAF had selected the Embraer 145RJ or even better the Embraer 195. These jets have more space, better range, payload, and speed. Most importantly, they would have allowed for the PAF ERIEYEs to be independent of ground processing stations, as all processing could have be done on board the plane.

Dear,

Erieye has been mounted atop three platforms as of now ... Saab340, Saab2000, and EMB145(EM-R99). These were all civilian passenger crafts and their standard seating capcities, cruise speed, ranges, and approximate flight endurance are as below

Saab-340 ---------- 37 passengers ---------- 460kph ---------- 1700km ---------- ~4 hrs
EMB-145 ----------- 44~50 passengers ----- 820kph --------- 3700km ---------- ~5 hrs
Saab-2000 -------- 50~58 passengers ----- 680kph ---------- 3600km ---------- 9.5 hrs

I think PAF made the best possible choice ... we have to optimize endurance and cut down flight costs, because we dont have a large enough country to justify EMB-145 selection based on just 140kph speed difference.

As for EM195, Saab has chosen not to use larger jet to keep costs of acquisition & operation as low as possible while providing maximum functionality onboard as well as on ground.

Regards,
Sapper

Dear,

Erieye has been mounted atop three platforms as of now ... Saab340, Saab2000, and EMB145(EM-R99). These were all civilian passenger crafts and their standard seating capcities, cruise speed, ranges, and approximate flight endurance are as below

Saab-340 ---------- 37 passengers ---------- 460kph ---------- 1700km ---------- ~4 hrs
EMB-145 ----------- 44~50 passengers ----- 820kph --------- 3700km ---------- ~5 hrs
Saab-2000 -------- 50~58 passengers ----- 680kph ---------- 3600km ---------- 9.5 hrs

I think PAF made the best possible choice ... we have to optimize endurance and cut down flight costs, because we dont have a large enough country to justify EMB-145 selection based on just 140kph speed difference.

As for EM195, Saab has chosen not to use larger jet to keep costs of acquisition & operation as low as possible while providing maximum functionality onboard as well as on ground.

Regards,
Sapper

Hi,

Thank you---I believe for awacs---the time in the air is of essence rather than 140 km per hr speed---.

Hi,

Thank you---I believe for awacs---the time in the air is of essence rather than 140 km per hr speed---.
Moreover, having a less endurance AWACS would not only hurt the ability of PAF to continuously monitor, but also the life of maintenance crew as one would have only 5 hours to get the bird ready again to take to the skies.

Hi Mr. Sapper, I was unaware that the SAAB 2000 had a longer loiter time than the EMB-145. The PAF made the right choice then. I guess it is my personal bias towards a big fancy jet, getting in the way.

NE3j1.jpg
LjjX3.jpg
K1VBD.jpg

It is still not clear, how many Saab erieye PAF have recived till now.I guess 3 or 4.
Any one has confirmation.?

Maybe ISPR could do a better job of briefing media and then we would not have such problems with media.

ISPR doesn't need to brief them....most people here on PDF do a better job without getting paid for it......i wonder why the journalists are so dumb...:undecided:

Today, Pakistans one of leading newspaper (nawaiwaqat-lahore) says!!!!

Pakistan is superior to India in AWACs/AEW&Cs Aircrafts

p8-46_46.gif

Today, Pakistans one of leading newspaper (nawaiwaqat-lahore) says!!!!

Pakistan is superior to India in AWACs/AEW&Cs Aircrafts

p8-46_46.gif

Yes , Pakistan Is with it Current Fleet of AWACS Aircrafts !! India at Present has Only 3 Israeli Phalcon AWACS Systems On Il-76 Platforms

But Once DRDO AEW&CS On Embraer Platform Hits Production This Stats May Change

IAF Has Ordered 2 More Israeli Phalcon AWACS

Yes , Pakistan Is with it Current Fleet of AWACS Aircrafts !! India at Present has Only 3 Israeli Phalcon AWACS Systems On Il-76 Platforms

But Once DRDO AEW&CS On Embraer Platform Hits Production This Stats May Change

IAF Has Ordered 2 More Israeli Phalcon AWACS

i would not lay much emphasis on this newspaper's opinion - urdu press news is questionable at best!

the crew seems pretty young if my guess serves me right most men are Flying Officers & not even Flt.Lieutenant. why are we putting such young inexperienced men on such high end stuff! they might be very talented but experience is a whole different thing!

the crew seems pretty young if my guess serves me right most men are Flying Officers & not even Flt.Lieutenant. why are we putting such young inexperienced men on such high end stuff! they might be very talented but experience is a whole different thing!

Most probably young cadets having a field trip to the base and having a pic with the plane.

The question is, do somebody in PAF has the experience of managing AWACS? :).......PAF will most probably start from scratch, My guess is that people from radar operations would have been allocated to AWACS, after all, if have to put someone in training why not start with a mix rather than predominantly experienced staff.

Air force wants two more warning and control system aircrafts
November 14, 2011

By Hemanth CS

Recognising the importance of having force multipliers, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has evinced keen interest in acquiring two more Airborne Warning and Control System aircraft.

The aircraft, which is the IAF’s “eye in the sky”, is based on the Russian IL-76 platform and the Israeli Phalcon AWACS Radar and is primarily used for reconnaissance purposes.

The decision to add two more Awacs aircraft in addition to the existing three comes in the wake of the Pakistan Air Force recently raising the Chinese made ZDK-03, also known as the Karakoram Eagles.

Pakistan also has Swedish SAAB 2000 AWACS. In all, the PAF will have eight AWACS in the near future (three AWACS aircraft each of the ZDK-03 and SAAB 2000 will be inducted in the near future).

India is also developing indigenous Airborne Early Warning & Control System (AEW&C) which is being built on a modified Embraer EMB-145 aircraft in Brazil.

The aircraft is expected to be flown to India in a few months, and it will be integrated with Active-Array Antenna Unit, mission systems, radar etc by Bangalore- based Centre for Airborne Systems.

Defence experts feel AEW&C will redefine battle surveillance capabilities as armed forces can neutralise attacks from adversaries in advance. AEW&C can detect enemy aircraft or UAVs and relay information to the ground bases.

Air force wants two more warning and control system aircrafts - India - DNA

Back
Top Bottom