What's new

Pakistanis Happier

Status
Not open for further replies.
My own thoughts on this issue (garnered from the "extensive" research done on fellow PDF members.:P)

The Chinese aren't happy because - notwithstanding the boasting that they do, they know the Americans are still way ahead.
The Indians aren't happy because - notwithstanding the boasting that they do, they know the Chinese are still ahead.
The Pakistanis aren't happy because - not withstanding the boasting they do... who the heck cares - The Chinese are ahead of Indians... Paksitanis very
happy
.:D

Haha! But that's just PDF.

Polling 1000 randomly over an age group.

Oh yes .. even when i have a car and a decent job , i would have still voted " i am not happy" ... i want more..

Stupid survey... they should instead tickle people and check how much they laugh instead.

I don't want to divert the topic, but I found an interesting excerpt on a guy's experiences in Pakistan & India. I found this to be very telling of the attitude of Indians & Pakistanis:

Like Pakistan, India really was terrible to see, but on such a larger scale. On the way back to our hotel at the end of the day (which ended up involving two tuk tuks and a rickshaw after two of our drivers got ‘lost’) we were stopped in traffic when a little girl walked up to the tuk tuk and started dancing in the road next to us – obviously her attempt to get us to give her some money. She was followed by a little boy, skinny and fragile looking. He must have been about 6 years old and had the saddest eyes we had ever seen. He was holding sum colouring pencils for us to buy and looked at us with such desperation as he pointed to his tummy and mouthed some incomprehensible worlds at us. We really wished we had some food on us that we could give him, but the tuk tuk soon started up again in the traffic and he was gone. That moment really hit home to both of us and we felt a little sad as we headed back to our 4 Star hotel.

Delhi has been an eye-opener for us, much like Pakistan was, although we were sort of expecting it to be. The city is massive and the sheer amount of people there is unbelievable – you can’t escape them. We noticed a definite pecking order there, with illiterate rickshaw riders and beggars being at the bottom and the fat cats in their flash cars, beeping and pushing them out of the way being at the top.

If we are being honest, we can’t say that we ‘enjoyed’ Delhi. Yes, it was fun being caught up in the chaotic traffic and haggling with tuk tuk operators, but when all that is over, the truth of it is that it’s a harsh, dirty city which can’t hide the huge gulf between rich and poor.

We observed on the drive into Delhi that India was a bit like Pakistan on a larger scale – it has more wealth, more poverty, more people, more land, but the one thing Delhi lacks is something that Pakistan has in abundance – this is Character and a colourful vibe that makes you what to soak up everything that you hear, smell or see.

Dodging goats, cows and Delhi dirt… | lifesgreatadventures.com

Polling 1000 randomly over an age group.

Oh yes .. even when i have a car and a decent job , i would have still voted " i am not happy" ... i want more..

Stupid survey... they should instead tickle people and check how much they laugh instead.

Yeah! Funny thing this; being happy! It is extremely relative. How happy one is depends on both the individual's expectation as well as how well friends/neighbours/others are doing. In the 1980's, people were probably more happier in India because no matter how miserable your life; your neighbour's wasn't any better. The moment some people aim higher and get there, happiness flies out of the window. A bit like that scene in 3 idiots, sad when you thought your friend failed, sadder when you find that he is the topper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? A blog? I can find the same sort of BS but it doesn't mean a thing. It's all an individual's opinion.

But hey, you're free to convince yourself whatever you want.

Salman Rushdie. Born in: Bombay, British India :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? A blog? I can find the same sort of BS but it doesn't mean a thing. It's all an individual's opinion.

But hey, you're free to convince yourself whatever you want.

Salman Rushdie is also a Western journalist with his preconceived opinions on certain subjects, which includes Pakistan as well. Obviously he wouldn't have anything to good to say about it. I am giving you the opinions of common Westerners that go to both India & Pakistan for the first time & give their views about both countries, free from any inherent biases or preconceived notions.

If you want an honest answer, its because Pakistan isn't as populated & overpopulated as India,
OK. Japan should be least happy then

it doesn't have poverty, scams & other stuff on the same levels as India.
HAH!!! Do you know your president's nick name ??? ;)

and how about the probability of going to market and getting blown up?? Doesnt that impact happiness and satisfaction??

There are no such labels for Pakistan, Pakistanis face difficulties with optimism, & they find happiness in the smallest things in life. When Pakistan lost to India in the cricket semi finals, people lauded Afridi & called him a hero, & when he arrived back at the Karachi Airport, he was greeted with hugs, flowers, & Pakistani flags. That's the truth. If you want to keep hating Pakistan & maintaining with your misconceptions about it, be my guest.

Agree 100% on this part though.. Specially the bold part

I'll take aspiring over being optimistic anyday.

Optimistic = Sit on your a** and wait for things to change.

Aspire = Get off your a** and change it.

Aaa...i think that's what i meant.

It's guud to be aspiring, but then at the same time you also need to be optimistic. You cant get much by merely aspiring for something without being optimistic about it.

Nevertheless a British citizen and it doesn't make your blog any more credible. I was just giving you an example.

You gave me an example of a Western journalist who was born in India, who hates religion or anything to do with it, who has pre-conceived notions & inherent biases against Pakistan & supports the War on Terror, which gives him enough reasons to hate Pakistan. I gave you a link of a Western couple who went to India & Pakistan for the first time, had no preconceived notions or inherent biases against any country, something significantly different from Rushdie. Their opinions are more impartial than his, for obvious reasons. I'll give you another example:

Coming from India, we immediately noticed a wazir khan mosque lahore change in the urban not-so-wildlife. Cows were off the streets and back on the menus. Also a lot less stray dogs around, but suddenly prowling cats, a rare sight in India, were much more common. We wondered if cats don't do so well on the primarily vegetarian Indian diet.

Walking around town, it seemed that most locals we passed would do this sort of double-take when they realized we were foreigners and then say hello or wave or, at the very least, stare. Yes, people stared constantly in India as well, but in Pakistan stares were more startled and curious than creepy.

It could be that foreigners are a rare sight these days. Other than the people staying at our hostel, we sure didn’t see many other tourists, even at the main tourist sites.

The first real shock of Pakistan was that most locals on the street just wanted to connect with us and weren’t after our money. Really. Coming from India, we responded very cautiously at first. But eventually it became clear that a lot of people just wanted to welcome us to their country, shake hands and say, "Hello. What country are you from?" or i like red bull our high-energy jumping friend"Can I help you find something?"

People in general were thrilled to learn that we were Canadians, many reporting a cousin in Toronto or somewhere in the US. They were all too happy to point us in the right direction, or more commonly, physically walk us to the place we were looking for.

We even got a free rickshaw ride. No kidding! It was only a few blocks, we were happily walking, but the driver, who spoke virtually no English, would not take no for an answer. You could have knocked either one of us over with a feather. Rickshaw drivers are notoriously hard bargainers in India—they don't give up anything for nothing.

so this is Pakistan...

OK. Japan should be least happy then

HAH!!! Do you know your president's nick name ??? ;)

Agree 100% on this part though.. Specially the bold part

Certain Indian politicians are even worse than Zardari. Huge scams are taking place in India everyday, its not as bad as Pakistan. I'll give you an example:

$1.5 Trillion ofIndia’s corruption hidden in Swiss Accounts

$1.5 Trillion ofIndia’s corruption hidden in Swiss Accounts | Times of Bombay

This is almost the same as your country's GDP.

and how about the probability of going to market and getting blown up?? Doesnt that impact happiness and satisfaction??

There are just as many chances of being killed, shot down or blown up in India as Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom