What's new

Pakistani doctors flee Sindh, seek safety in Ahmedabad,India

Brahmos_2

Reaction score
Country
India
AHMEDABAD: Growing terrorist unrest and a hostile attitude towards minorities in Pakistan forced over 20 doctors to migrate to Gujarat last year. This is the largest migration of medical professionals to the state - the highest so far being nine (1999) after the Kargil war and eight in 1970. The number could go up this year.

Over the past over four decades, 64 doctors have migrated to the safe haven of Gujarat from Pakistan, mostly from the Sindh province, and registered with the Gujarat Medical Council. Sources say the number of doctors who have migrated but not yet registered could be much higher.

Most of these doctors have completed their MBBS from the Sindh University. These doctors have left behind a thriving practice after they were haunted out by the terror organizations in Pakistan.

Dr Kailash Kumar Maheshwari, who was forced to give up his home in Pakistan, said, "I migrated with my family to Ahmedabad in 1998. I had completed my MBBS degree. The situation in Sindh is not conducive for minorities."

Maheshwari said things have only become worse. "Many more doctors have come to Ahmedabad via Kutch. We feel secure here rather than in Sindh".

Most doctors from Pakistan maintain a low profile and are scared to speak up. "The situation in Sindh had really deteriorated. I had to leave everything and came to Ahmedabad with my family of 10 as one of my relatives stays in Ahmedabad," said the doctor.

Pakistani doctors cannot directly practice in India. They are required to clear a screening test conducted by the Medical Council of India (MCI). Once they clear the test, they can register themselves with the Gujarat Medical Council and can start their own practice.

Gujarat Medical Council president Dr Nitin Vora says, "We have 64 doctors registered with us since 1970. Last year, 20 doctors registered with us and are practicing in various hospitals or running clinics."

Dr Roopkumar Agarwal, an Indian doctor who runs a hospital in Shahibaug, said he has employed five to six doctors from Sindh. "When they have not cleared their MCI test they do administrative work. Once they clear the test they are allowed to practice," said Agarwal, who added that these doctors are hard-working and sincere.

Pakistani doctors flee Sindh, seek safety in Ahmedabad - The Times of India
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Modi will do something for them....:)

@Imran Khan @Aeronaut @Spring Onion @DESERT FIGHTER @Bhai Zakir @Hafizzz @farhan_9909 @faisal6309 @third eye

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a Free world . Every person can legally migrate to where he feels comfortable and secure .

Sad and concerning Indeed.

I admit The mullah's might had made their life worst and forced them to flee.But as the society is becoming more and more tolerant I hope none else will leave and if they are reading the news i hope one day they will return back.

Hindus In Pakistan should form a federation throughout Pakistan and help each other together

AHMEDABAD: Growing terrorist unrest and a hostile attitude towards minorities in Pakistan forced over 20 doctors to migrate to Gujarat last year. This is the largest migration of medical professionals to the state - the highest so far being nine (1999) after the Kargil war and eight in 1970. The number could go up this year.

Over the past over four decades, 64 doctors have migrated to the safe haven of Gujarat from Pakistan, mostly from the Sindh province, and registered with the Gujarat Medical Council. Sources say the number of doctors who have migrated but not yet registered could be much higher.

Most of these doctors have completed their MBBS from the Sindh University. These doctors have left behind a thriving practice after they were haunted out by the terror organizations in Pakistan.

Dr Kailash Kumar Maheshwari, who was forced to give up his home in Pakistan, said, "I migrated with my family to Ahmedabad in 1998. I had completed my MBBS degree. The situation in Sindh is not conducive for minorities."

Maheshwari said things have only become worse. "Many more doctors have come to Ahmedabad via Kutch. We feel secure here rather than in Sindh".

Most doctors from Pakistan maintain a low profile and are scared to speak up. "The situation in Sindh had really deteriorated. I had to leave everything and came to Ahmedabad with my family of 10 as one of my relatives stays in Ahmedabad," said the doctor.

Pakistani doctors cannot directly practice in India. They are required to clear a screening test conducted by the Medical Council of India (MCI). Once they clear the test, they can register themselves with the Gujarat Medical Council and can start their own practice.

Gujarat Medical Council president Dr Nitin Vora says, "We have 64 doctors registered with us since 1970. Last year, 20 doctors registered with us and are practicing in various hospitals or running clinics."

Dr Roopkumar Agarwal, an Indian doctor who runs a hospital in Shahibaug, said he has employed five to six doctors from Sindh. "When they have not cleared their MCI test they do administrative work. Once they clear the test they are allowed to practice," said Agarwal, who added that these doctors are hard-working and sincere.

Pakistani doctors flee Sindh, seek safety in Ahmedabad - The Times of India
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Modi will do something for them....:)

@Imran Khan @Aeronaut @Spring Onion @DESERT FIGHTER @Bhai Zakir @Hafizzz @farhan_9909 @faisal6309 @third eye

The chief reason for migration is persecution of minorities in Pakistan ...

But India has no reason to take pride in that ...

Our own doctors are leaving country ....if not for persecution ....then for greener pastures ....

The net effect is same ....loss of trained man-power

However I am not attempting to equate these two issues ...

I admit The mullah's might had made their life worst and forced them to flee.But as the society is becoming more and more tolerant I hope none else will leave and if they are reading the news i hope one day they will return back.

Hindus In Pakistan should form a federation throughout Pakistan and help each other together

Immigration is multifaceted phenomenon ....

Persecution is one of the reason ....

Anyway loss of trained manpower is always sad ...

India too is suffering from humongous brain-drain ....despite producing largest number of doctors , India has awful patient to doctors ratio.

Not to mention public health system has totally collapsed in India ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The chief reason for migration is persecution of minorities in Pakistan ...

But India has no reason to take pride in that ...

Our own doctors are leaving country ....if not for persecution ....then for greener pastures ....

The net effect is same ....loss of trained man-power

However I am not attempting to equate these two issues ...

Immigration is multifaceted phenomenon ....

Persecution is one of the reason ....

Anyway loss of trained manpower is always sad ...

India too is suffering from humongous brain-drain ....despite producing largest number of doctors , India has awful patient to doctors ratio.

Not to mention public health system is totally collapsed in India ...

We must attract highly skilled Pakistani doctors to India.....:D

....Brain Drain....:yay:

The unfortunate part is that these Doctors were educated in Pakistan possibly at the expense of the tax payer.

Their services could have been gainfully utilized by & for the people of that nation.

This is an avoidable brain drain.

Sad to hear that

Situation in Sindh is getting worse. I don't know why they vote for same government after facing them 5 years. Sindhi people are migrating from Sindh around the Pakistan.

When Pervez Musharraf initiated military action against extremists, CP started action him just because of killing masoom bachiyan.

I hope our politicians will get control over this problem otherwise situation will get out of control.

As long as there is single voice of conscience ...there is still hope !

Frankly speaking Pakistan was well ahead of India in several fields by 1960's

It was radicalization that followed Zia Ul Haq's rule that saw reversal of fortunes for Pakistan ...

No society can thrive on basis of radical and intolerant ideology...history of world is testimony for that fact .

Pakistan needs to introspect and get its act together...I am sure Pakistan can bounce back from its current situation .

We must attract highly skilled Pakistani doctors to India.....:D

....Brain Drain....:yay:

Our brain drain is much higher than reverse brain-drain you are thinking about ...for 20 or 70 Pakistani doctors that have come to India ....India has lost about half a million doctors to rest of the world !!!

I thought there was no persecution of Hindu minority in Pakistan.

The Sindh just need land reforms to take powers from these land lords.
This Wadera culture is at its peak in Sindh which is quite concerning as they are themselves law & order of villages……:coffee:
Well Sindh do have medical facilities??? Its quiet satisfactory……
il literacy is mother of problems and Sindh needs some authenticated and educated Islamic Scholars to stop such B.S.
Well one who has relatives in India will migrate there and surely will say that things are not good there but this too can be true to some extent and sometime can be wrong.
but saying things are good for Muslims and bad for Hindus this maybe is not right coz there is no concept of religious difference in interior Sindh but maybe it is prevailing in Karachi……:coffee:

Its time for pakistani hindus to carve out a seperate country for themselves from pakistan and get rid of the evil mullas :smokin:

These are, with all due respect, the lucky ones. These people managed to save their lives and get out. The situation for poorer hindus (and other minorities) is far far worse. The biggest problem is this foreign imported thinking from a particular "brotherly" nation.

Pakistan in the 1960s was a tolerant and mostly secular society. But then a certain liar who broke promises initiated so called "Islamic" policies, in otherwise hypocrisy at its best. Now we have little Zias running around Pakistan causing everyone problems. Remember 1953, how the government and the army crushed these fanatics when they tried messing around? That's what we need again.

These are, with all due respect, the lucky ones. These people managed to save their lives and get out. The situation for poorer hindus (and other minorities) is far far worse. The biggest problem is this foreign imported thinking from a particular "brotherly" nation.

Pakistan in the 1960s was a tolerant and mostly secular society. But then a certain liar who broke promises initiated so called "Islamic" policies, in otherwise hypocrisy at its best. Now we have little Zias running around Pakistan causing everyone problems. Remember 1953, how the government and the army crushed these fanatics when they tried messing around? That's what we need again.

I came across an article by Nadeem Pracha in Dawn about Pakistan pre Zia era and I was surprised how tolerant Pakistan was during that era.... For God sake there was even wine shops and popular night clubs in Pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom