What's new

PAKISTAN WIN WORLD CUP 2009!!

Everything ok ? peace ???lol i think indian exit from world cup hurt your real bad.

You are indian and you are just not suppose to support pakistan in a criket match. lol , its a sports and its always good to have healthy rivalary. :bunny:

well i support good cricket...the indian team dint give any...Sl and pak are the right package...
on a side note...i am almost thankful that it is not another indo-pak final...like the last time...each wicket is like a jab in the chest...the tension freaks me out...

People die in Indo pak finals.. heart attacks galore

Batting would be the key to success in final, as who ever bats better will clinch the worldcup. Hope that this time we will be on the winning side. Inshallah.

Representatives of the four host nations of the World Cup 2011 will meet at Lord's today to discuss what can be done with the 14 matches that were originally scheduled for Pakistan. The recommendations from this meeting will be taken up by the ICC's commercial board that will meet on June 25 as part of the governing body's annual conference.

ICC president David Morgan, vice-president Sharad Pawar and Pakistan board chairman Ijaz Butt met on Friday to discuss the best manner in which a decision could be reached on Pakistan's matches. "I am pleased we have made progress on this matter," Morgan said. "We believe we have come up with that means now, through the meeting of the host countries, and if they are able to produce a recommendation when they meet on Saturday then that can be tabled for consideration by the ICC's commercial board next Thursday."

Butt, however, was disappointed that organisational issues surrounding the World Cup remained unresolved and that the legal proceedings the PCB has brought against the ICC would continue. "I had hoped and expected the support of my Asian co-hosts in resolving these organizational difficulties," he said. "I am deeply disappointed that no progress was made despite the intervention of both the ICC president and vice-president.

"This means that rather than harmony amongst the co-hosts of the 2011 World Cup we will have disagreement and legal dispute. I do hope that they will reconsider their unreasonable stance so that the legal dispute can be resolved and a hugely successful World Cup organized in 2011."

As per last week's meeting, it was decided that Pakistan would not host matches in the 2011 tournament because of the security situation in the country but the PCB will be recognised as hosts and retain fees from its original allocation of 14 matches. Morgan had said the ICC would consider outsourcing Pakistan's matches to Abu Dhabi and Dubai, though co-hosts India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh were keen to have the matches remain in the subcontinent.

Everything ok ? peace ???lol i think indian exit from world cup hurt your real bad.

You are indian and you are just not suppose to support pakistan in a criket match. lol , its a sports and its always good to have healthy rivalary. :bunny:

I felt very happy that We lost under the captaincy of Dhoni..I wish we should loose in West indies as well.I want Dhoni out of team b4 starting supporting India.he is the guy because of Dravid Gangully is out of team.Even he tried for sachin too.

Anyway for this world cup I am supporting Pak..

Men with je ne sais quoi

Pakistan's march to the final is a tale of teams sometimes do things nobody expects them to

Osman Samiuddin

June 20, 2009

Who knows how these things come about? Wonderful things happen in this world that we struggle to explain, and that is no bad thing. That, in fact, contributes to the very beauty of those things. Pakistan is replete with such inexplicability, not least those occasions when their cricket team is on a roll when absolutely nothing suggests they can be.

Consider how Pakistan came into this tournament. They had played a piffling 10 Tests and 50 ODIs since the beginning of 2007; no other side was that undercooked. Their last international home assignment was interrupted by a terrorist attack, which, in effect, meant they will not have any more home assignments for some time. And they weren't exactly rushed off their feet before then. They weren't allowed by their own government to take part in the IPL, and in short found themselves outcasts as cricket was reborn.

When they arrived in England, they practised and played fully burdened by this. Some of their performances - wins and losses - only reaffirmed their general rustiness. They dropped more catches than Oprah lost pounds, they didn't find the right XI until the second game of the Super Eights. Their captain, apparently, wasn't taking the whole thing seriously enough; that he was among the tournament's leading run-scorers, even though his own chief selector didn't think him a Twenty20 player, only revealed how the rest of the batting was struggling. The bowling hit and missed. Not to forget, of course, the permanent rumours of rifts, cliques and intrigues, in the absence of which it is entirely plausible the whole Pakistani state might collapse.

And yet here they stand, on the verge of winning a tournament nobody outside their own camp (and only some inside it) really gave them a shot at. A triumph it already is, come what may Sunday. Astrophysics may be easier to comprehend than this situation, even if it is unlikely astrophysics has ever brought as much joy as this.

It has been an uneven, uplifting ride, in the best traditions of Pakistan. It is the kind that lights up a big tournament. Just to know that they are still capable of it is relief in itself; indeed the worst fear over the last two years was that Pakistan had succumbed to the curse of bland mediocrity. But to know that they are still capable of doing what they did to South Africa in the same fortnight as what they allowed England to do to them, is to know that the soul of all Pakistan sides is alive and well.

It is a complex soul, built on tigerish defiance, outlandish talent and bravado but also drama, tragedy and farce all at once. It is not entirely what we saw in the 1999 World Cup, for that was a strangely well-grooved, dominant Pakistan. It wasn't entirely what we saw in the inaugural World Twenty20 either, for even then Pakistan seemed eerily consistent. No, this run has been of a piece with, as nobody in Pakistan has forgotten, the 1992 World Cup, where, for no obvious reason, Pakistan suddenly transformed from a mohalla second XI into the world's best. Everything came together to some great, central magnetic pull, as if it inevitably had to, in a wonderfully calculated way even though almost none of it was calculated.

The progress has been visceral, based on instincts good and bad, using mostly their acute lack of international cricket to play with real verve and energy, a real hunger to perform on the big stage so often denied to them. They have progressed for no other reason than that they have wanted it more than others

Then, as now, Pakistan played a succession of do-or-die games and lived to not just tell the tale but boast about it. Not always, but often, that situation brings out the fight in Pakistan. It makes sense in a way when Shahid Afridi says he plays each game as if it is his first and last. It is a curious way of approaching sport, but he isn't alone in that, and if you have four do-or-die games, as Pakistan have had in this tournament, it isn't the worst attitude in the world to go into them with. If it doesn't scramble focus, it sharpens it.

Then, as now, they have sensed momentum and grasped it, not fully in control but riding it nevertheless. How it's found is arbitrary. In 1992, the win against Australia and a legendary talking-to sparked it. Here, Afridi's catch turned not only the game against New Zealand, but Pakistan's tournament. And suddenly, inexplicably, things began to fall into place, a chain reaction that simultaneously made sense and no sense.

One XI was settled upon at just the right time, openers found, batting order rejigged, and it has rolled along since. Abdul Razzaq's return was not spectacular, but his impact was vital. His two wickets set up the New Zealand win, but his threat - perceived or real - with bat freed up Afridi. Such things are not planned and cannot be accounted for. Other heroes emerged swiftly; Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal, Mohammad Aamer, even young, ungainly Shahzaib Hasan, all rallying around a captain, who by the time South Africa came along, was not smiling so much any more, or treating the whole shebang as a bit of fun.

What didn't fall into place simply ceased to matter. They dropped two catches against South Africa and their wicketkeeper had his first poor game in some time behind the stumps. But it didn't matter, for at critical moments it went right for them, like Shoaib Malik's calm pocketing of a Jacques Kallis loft, and even Fawad Alam's direct hit to send back Albie Morkel. Aamer had forgotten to run to the non-striker's end to collect Alam's throw, a very basic lapse that ultimately didn't matter.

So much have things fallen into place that, just as in 1992, when Imran Khan shunned prevalent bowling caution and told his attack to forget about extras and only concern themselves with wickets, so Pakistan rendered tenets of modern-day cricket a little less relevant in this tournament. Preparation, fitness, fielding, discipline, unity and multi-dimensional players - these have mattered less as Pakistan have gone along, and in a sense that has made it even more wonderful, this happy, uncaring mockery of the way professional sport is heading. The progress has been visceral, based on instincts good and bad, using mostly their acute lack of international cricket to play with real verve and energy, a real hunger to perform on the big stage so often denied to them. They have progressed for no other reason than that they have wanted it more than others.

How necessary this run was, too, unlike 1992. Pakistan was a safer country then and a safer bet in cricket. There is no need to recount in detail what is happening to the country. There is war in parts of it and not much cheer in the rest. Conflicts have weighed heavily on the minds of at least three players from the particularly unsettled NWFP. It is apt that the trio - Afridi, Younis and Gul - have done most to drag Pakistan to where they are, but no player is immune to the gloom. Good news was needed desperately and not for the first time - but for the first time in a long time - cricket has been the bearer. The mood will not change drastically whatever happens against Sri Lanka.

It was necessary also in this uncertain new world of cricket, where there is more money and less time, a world which was in danger of passing Pakistan by. By reaching the final of the premier World Twenty20 event twice, Pakistan has said to one and all that they are still a force, no matter what the strife, that they cannot be ignored or sidelined in this world. Men such as Afridi, Gul, Akmal and Ajmal cannot be ignored in this world. They can contribute richly to it.

Pakistan matters because no team could have pulled off what they have just pulled off and in the manner they did. Their march has not been just a great cricketing tale or a fine sporting one; it is a simpler, more important one of how men do things sometimes nobody expects them to, of how from any darkness light can emerge. Even if we're not sure how the tale was written, how long it will go on and when, or whether, it will happen again, we must celebrate it, be grateful for it and not forget it.
Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of Cricinfo
Men with je ne sais quoi | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

funny thing is that im gettin more and more confused as to wat will make me more happy. victory for a country which didnt abandon us in harsh times or victory for my country? i guess ill be equally happy; doesnt matter who wins. or i might be slightly more happy if sri lanka wins. pakistan has already done miracles on the field which no one can deny. and i am pround of my team

No losers in a match that's bigger than the game

Sambit Bal

June 20, 2009

That the favourites and the glamour boys have all vacated the stage has provided the World Twenty20 the most poignant finale possible. By their presence in the final, Pakistan and Sri Lanka have offered cricket the opportunity to be bigger than itself: from being a mere spectacle, there is now the prospect of cricket serving a greater purpose.

That the two best, most varied, and most individualistic bowling sides have made it to the final of the premier tournament in Twenty20, a format that gives batsmen obscene liberty, is itself a cause for celebration. But if you allow yourself to see the broader picture, the matters of bat and ball become insignificant before the human possibilities the final offers. Among all those participating in this tournament, no two nations need the lift sporting success can bring more than Sri Lanka and Pakistan.

Sri Lanka has just emerged from the bloodiest of civil wars that has claimed thousands of lives and left many more painful memories. The victory over the Tamil Tigers has been costly and, while there is a measure of self-congratulation, the fractures in society remain.

In Pakistan, the war might have just begun. The state of cricket in Pakistan is a fairly accurate illustration of its position in the real world. Younis Khan, a man of many admirable qualities, pointed out - perhaps unwittingly but poignantly - that the strife of the cricket team merely mirrors the state of the nation. More than the chaos, though, the country, like its cricket, is in danger of being pushed to the margins - and, worse, a point of no return.

What can a mere sporting win do? A lot. There is no overstating the healing power of sport. Sports fans live their dreams through the lives of their sporting heroes and win radiates joy. And it's a joy that spreads easily and it helps forge bonds and ease pain, however momentarily. Most sportsmen are aware of this power and that this makes them worthy.

It is unlikely that when they go out in their country's colours tomorrow the Sri Lankans and the Pakistanis will be oblivious to the wider significance of the match. Rather than weighing them down, such knowledge should be empowering. It can invest their game with a little more meaning and passion. Twenty20 is not a game of grand ideas and epic performances. It's a game of moments; inspiration matters.

Sri Lanka are among the most-loved teams in world cricket. What's not to love? They play an interesting, engaging and endearing brand of cricket. Their style is a triumph of natural flair and individual spirit over the rigours of process. They carry no bloated egos and most of them play with a smile. Their desire to win hasn't overpowered their necessity to lead a normal life and they haven't allowed success to spoil their manners.

I asked Mahela Jayawerdene last year, when he was still the captain, if it was a challenge for him and senior players to manage the sudden stardom of Ajantha Mendis, who had just landed an IPL contract. Jayawardene answered with breathtaking simplicity and clarity. The culture played a big part, he said; at the end of the day there are certain values that everyone had to fall in line with. Whoever didn't fit into those sets of rules and goals wouldn't be part of the team, irrespective of how good they were.

Even if you were neutral, Sri Lanka are a team whose success makes you feel good.

And Pakistan - has there ever been a more confounding and enthralling team? Always in tumult, always in strife, always on the edge, and often in the spotlight for the wrong reason, yet always potential winners.

No one, least of all the players themselves, has ever known what they will, or can, do next. Bereft of match practice, plagued by controversies, and running low on resources, what business did they have to reach the final? However, though it seems ages ago, weren't they in the final of this very tournament a couple of years ago?

The last time they won a world tournament was in 1992. Then too they began their campaign in disarray and lived from match to match. That team had more quality and a leader who could rouse them. This time, they made it to semi-finals almost stealthily and then knocked out the favourites with a bravura performance.

The mere thought that they could win the tournament would have been staggering a couple of weeks ago but now, standing on the edge of possibility, they can do anything.

Going by how they have played so far, Sri Lanka deserve to win but Pakistan need it more. It's a cliché, but there will no losers tomorrow.
No losers in a match that's bigger than the game | Cricket Features | ICC World Twenty20 2009 | Cricinfo.com

This world cup would be for the Muslims of sub-continent and the whole world.

Are you seriously unhinged?

What does Pakistan winning the world cup have to do with Islam? What about the millions of christians, hindus, sikhs, Ahmedis who are Pakistanis, will the cup not be for them?

And why should we force this cup down other muslims' throats...it would be another thing if they claimed the cup as their own, quite another for us to claim it for them...

sheez....

Great article...I'm a fan of Sambit Bal's cricinfo articles...and I detest Osman Samiuddin, whose whole effort in writing seems to be to make a clever quip in every paragraph.

And why should we force this cup down other muslims' throats...it would be another thing if they claimed the cup as their own, quite another for us to claim it for them...

sheez....

Well I appreciate his sincerity as he saying it with intention of Muslim brotherhood. I don't know about other however you can count me in. I have been and will celebrate every win with my bros. :cheers:

ICC T20 World Cup Final

Taliban vs LTTE

08:00pm

j/k:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Journey a triumph of human spirit

On the morning of March 3 in Lahore, the world of cricket was shaken to the core. The horrific attack on the Sri Lankan team bus, as it pulled into the Gadaffi Stadium ahead of the third day of the second Test against Pakistan, was the moment a thousand preconceptions were destroyed. Cricket's presumptions to diplomatic immunity had been mocked by the forces of evil, and as Pakistan spiralled into sporting exile and Sri Lanka's traumatised players rushed home to the bosom of their families, the obvious reaction was to wonder "what now?" for the great game.

Three and a half months later, and sport's great gift for reinvention has delivered a contest that flicks two fingers at the perpetrators of the Lahore atrocity, and proves that - without wishing to overload the sentiment - the human spirit cannot be crushed by cold calculation. Pakistan and Sri Lanka will take centre stage at Lord's on Sunday for the final of the most joyful international tournament the game has arranged in years. Twenty20 may be cricket for hedonists, but after everything these two teams and their respective nations have been through of late, the need to lay on a party suddenly feels like the only serious obligation.

"It is a fitting reward for the courage of the team in the way they have played the tournament," said Kumar Sangakkara, Sri Lanka's statesmanlike captain. "All the players have got through Lahore, but what it brought home to us is that we are just the same as everyone else. Sometimes it is nice to be reminded of your mortality, especially when the press and everyone else blows you up to be more than that in this sporting culture. But we've shown no fear and we've gone to play cricket, and it's a fitting reward for that attitude."

If Sri Lanka enter the final as favourites, it is only by dint of their exceptional consistency throughout the tournament. Unlike South Africa, the one-dimensional steamrollers who were spectacularly upstaged by the mercurial Pakistanis at Trent Bridge, Sri Lanka's unbeaten run owes itself, if you like, to a Barcelona-style carousel system, in which the identity of the day's gamebreaker is impossible to call until the damage has already been done. One day, Ajantha Mendis will sweep through the midfield, the next it's Lasith Malinga, while Muttiah Muralitharan's enduring class allows no liberties to be taken against his four overs. And then, every once in a while, up will pop a totally random destroyer, such as Angelo Mathews, the three-wicket wrecking ball against West Indies on Friday.

And yet, Pakistan have developed some serious momentum in the latter stages of the tournament. Their captain, Younis Khan, laughed in the face of their group-stage trouncing against England, dismissing Twenty20 cricket as "fun", and later likened it to WWF wrestling as well. His comments caused consternation at the time, particularly for the thousands of passionate Pakistan fans whose presence and exuberance at all matches have been among the highlights of the competition. But internally, his words had a soothing effect on a side that had lacked meaningful match practice since a low-key one-day series in UAE. As soon as they hit their stride with a walloping of New Zealand at Lord's, Younis' impassioned defence of his star bowler, Umar Gul, in the face of ball-tampering insinuations, left no-one in any doubt as to the galvanised nature of their campaign.

Gul's peerless death bowling remains one reason why Pakistan have the potential to go one step better than in 2007, when Misbah-ul-Haq's traumatic aberration delivered India a five-run victory and instigated a Twenty20 revolution. Shahid Afridi's big-game mentality and bamboozling legspin is another. Set against their wiles is the sensational form and innovative eye of Tillakaratne Dilshan, who produced his most orthodox innings of the tournament on Friday and still came within ten yards of posting the second century in Twenty20 international history.

But whatever happens, it's all about to come down to 40 overs of fiesta cricket in front of a packed house at Lord's, and on this occasion, the old adage "to the victors, the spoils" somehow doesn't seem fitting. Sunday's final is not merely a celebration of cricket, it is a celebration of life. And that's a very serious reason to abandon any lingering hang-ups about the place of 20-over cricket in the grander scheme of the game, and simply get on with the important business of letting the hair down. Joie de vivre has carried these two teams into the final, and it will sustain them in victory or defeat.

http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/409927.html

Pakistan aim to conquer SL for T20 crown

Sunday, June 21, 2009
From Khalid Hussain

LONDON: It will be a battle featuring two of the most potent bowling attacks in the ICC World Twenyt20 when Pakistan and Sri Lanka will clash in the second consecutive all-Asian final in the brief history of the tournament.

It will also be a battle between the might of Tillakaratne Dilshan, the tournament’s highest run-getter and Shahid Afridi, the tournament’s biggest sensation.

Almost 15 weeks after the March 3 terrorist attack on Sri Lanka cricketers in Pakistan, the two nations would take centre-stage when they clash for the ICC World Twenty20 trophy here at Lord’s on Sunday (today).

Pakistan have marched into the final on the back of impressive bowling performances from the trio of Umar Gul, Shahid Afridi and Saeed Ajmal.

They flopped early on, losing to England and Sri Lanka but resurrected their title campaign with convincing wins against the Netherlands, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa.

Intikhab Alam, the Pakistan coach, exuded confidence ahead of the grand finale.

“The boys are peaking at just the right time,” he told ‘The News’ following his team’s final practice session here at Lord’s on Saturday evening.

“I’m very confident about tomorrow though I must say that it’s going to be a very tough game.”

Pakistan will be looking towards their key match-winners Shahid Afridi and Umar Gul to deliver again.

Afridi was in fire in the semifinal against South Africa, hitting a solid 51 and then took two key wickets to set up a seven-run win.

“It is our big day tomorrow and I’m confident all of us will click (in the final),” said Afridi, who can finish as the player of the tournament for the second time in a row if he manages to lead Pakistan to the title.

Pakistan fell shot by five runs against India in the final in 2007, but this time the team is confident of going all the way.

“We are here after giving our best and will do that again tomorrow,” said pacer Umar Gul, the highest wicket-taker in the tournament.

“The momentum is there and all we need is to go out there and give our best,” said Intikhab, who was Pakistan’s manager when they won the 1992 World Cup Down Under. But it won’t be easy.

Sri Lanka’s accent to the final has been more emphatic with six wins in a row that included a 56-run triumph over West Indies in Friday’s semifinals at The Oval.

Their batting has revolved around Dilshan, the brilliant shot-maker who has accumulated 317 runs in the tournament at an average of 63.70 with a strike-rate of 148.30. Dilshan’s unbeaten 96 against West Indies was easily one of the best knocks in the brief history of Twenty20 Internationals.

With veteran Sanath Jayasuriya, Dilshan forms one of the most reliable opening pair in world cricket. Next come the two seasoned campaigners — Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene — making the batting line look rock-solid at the top of the order.

Sri Lanka’s formidable batting line-up is, at times, bettered by their bowlers. Their M-squad that includes Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis and Lasith Malinga, got a shot in the arm with the induction of another member on Friday. Pacer Angelo Mathews tore through the West Indian top order at The Oval with a series of wicket in quick succession to join the three Ms ahead of the final.

So is Pakistan captain Younis Khan concerned about it. “We don’t worry about anything,” he said. “If we play to our potential we can beat them.”

But Younis was quick to admit that Sri Lanka are a tough side to beat.

“Sri Lanka is a very balanced team. They have top class players especially their spinner,” he said.

Kumar Sangakkara, his counterpart, made it clear he won’t be taking anything for granted. “We will take a lot of confidence into the final against Pakistan. We’ll concentrate on getting our basics right, we’ll be responsible and execute our game plan.”

The one thing that makes Sangakkara wary of Pakistan is their unpredictability. But he hoped that match-winners like Dilshan will help Sri Lanka overcome Pakistan.

“I have run out of superlatives for Dilshan. He is a pioneer stroke-maker in Twenty20,” said Sangakkara after Friday’s win against West Indies. “The best thing is that he understands his role and has become very responsible and mature. He has finally understood how good he is.”

Younis, meanwhile, was hopeful that Pakistani supporters will turn out in large numbers at Lord’s to back their team.

“Wherever we have played (in this tournament), the support from our fans has been great,” he said. “I’m confident tomorrow will be even better.”

Teams (probable):

Pakistan: Kamran Akmal (wk), Shahzaib Hasan, Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Malik, Younis Khan (captain), Misbah-ul-Haq, Abdul Razzaq, Fawad Alam, Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal, Mohammad Aamer.

Sri Lanka: Sanath Jayasuriya, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kumar Sangakkara (captain/wk), Mahela Jayawardene, Chamara Silva, Jehan Mubarak, Angelo Mathews, Isuru Udana, Lasith Malinga, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ajantha Mendis.

Pakistan aim to conquer SL for T20 crown

Younis eyes ‘green’ triumph

Sunday, June 21, 2009
LONDON: Pakistan vowed on Saturday to play the game of their lives in a bid to cheer up embattled countrymen back home as they prepared to take on in-form Sri Lanka in the ICC World Twenty20 final here at Lord’s on Sunday (today), write Khalid Hussain.

The green juggernaut has taken the 12-nation spectacle by storm, swaggering into the title clash with authoritative wins over New Zealand and South Africa and is now focusing on overcoming the unbeaten Sri Lankans to grab the big prize this evening.

A match in international cricket seldom gets bigger than this. Younis Khan summed it up when he said that it would be like a dream come true if he lifts the trophy at the home of cricket.

“It’s the World Cup, it’s the final, its Lord’s with such a crowd.

It’s a chance for us to make our biggest dream come true,” said the Pakistan captain ahead of the grand finale.

Younis was spot on when he declared that a World Cup triumph today will boost his nation’s morale back home.

“There are lots of problems back home especially in the north. I’m from Mardan and I know it’s bad,” he said. “It would be fantastic for Pakistan if we win tomorrow and will be great for the future of our cricket as well.”

Having won their last three games in a row after a shaky start, Pakistan are all set to field the same team that outclassed Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa to march into the final. “We are going to have the same team because there are no injuries,” said Younis.

It would be Pakistan’s third World Cup final in the last ten years, having lost the previous two against Australia (1999) and India (2007).

Younis was confident it would be a case of third time lucky for Pakistan. “We will try to finish this time,” he said. “We must win this tournament because it would be a great achievement for me and my team.”

Seldom has a single cricket match put so much responsibility on a team. If Pakistan win today, it would send a wave of happiness in a country that is dogged by suicide bombings, political uncertainty and economic downslide.

“It’s a great responsibility but the boys are dedicated and focussed and I’m very confident ahead of the final.”

The spotlight will be on Shahid Afridi, when Pakistan take the field against the Islanders. The seasoned all-rounder lit up the contest with intense outings in previous games and is expected to play a major role in Pakistan’s campaign for the title.

But Younis tried to play down the Afridi factor, saying that it’s all about playing as a team.

“It’s not only Afridi,” he said. “We have other match-winners like Umar Gul, the young Mohammad Aamer. There are also a couple of in-form batsmen in our team.”

Having watched Sri Lanka thrash West Indies in a one-sided semifinal at The Oval on Friday night, Younis underlined the fact that a good start would be key to success in the final.

“They (Sri Lanka) took three quick wickets and then went on to win easily,” he said. “If we get a good start, we could do the same.”

Younis eyes ‘green’ triumph

Back
Top Bottom