What's new

Pakistan to stick with RD-93 engine for JF-17, say PAF officials

Of course a smokey engine which can be seen from miles away is not issue .

Just like when a car gives out smoke nothing happens.

THEN ONE DAY IT JUST STOPS and you need a NEW ENGINE cause the HEAD GASKET HAS GONE.

MAINTENANCE INTENSIVE
UNRELIABLE
SHORT LIFE SPAN....

BUT ITS CHEAP that is the RD93 ENGINE
Oh dear the success of the program is killing you. Trust me if half of your hated is translated into a meaningful effort for teja, it will not only lift off ground but even fly

@Oscar @waz @Jango Guys can you out the lid on this cheap Indian filth that comes here only to troll,
Will appreciate that. Thanks

Last edited:
guys
this engine is better ws 13
the reason is that it is more reailible than ws 13
and produce more thrust than ws 13 but decrese it life from 4000 hrs to 2200 hrs
BUT that is enough
just see this poster nicely
n3vu4x.jpg

this shows it can be increased to 98 kn but at the moment pac has increasing to 91.2 kn which has make it service life 2200hrs
smoke is a issue but not that much

Not necessarily; the WS-13 is still in testing and simply isn't ready for production at this moment.
mmmmm well if thats the case then it makes sense because the jf-17 is extremely important to pac and any huge change in the program which will hinder the progress of the program so a change in the program will be taken under serious consideration and this time they said no an i think its a good move.

. i know there is a fc1 in china with a ws-13 undergoing tests. im not one to speculate or stir speculation so i leave it at that.
below is supposedly a fc1 being powered by a ws-13
jf-17_no._0213_-_18.1.15.jpg

Last edited:
Next version (RD-93MA?)is under development or so I believe, with increased thrust and lower life cycle cost. Expected to complete development by 2018 and probably will power Block3 which will be coming out at the same time. Since we are talking 250 birds for PAF and AVIC forecasts another 300 exports worldwide, huge number has got Europeans interested as well. They would love EJ200 to have a slice of 500+ fighters over next 20 years. Not a small number to ignore if you factor in post sale support and parts.

Hi,

You are on the right track---. People need to understand---every successful system needs stability in its basic design and the engine. The fighter aircraft engine is as sacred as a heart is to a human body. You just don't go around changing the heart if it is working good.

For future aircraft----maybe with a slightly bigger frame and structure---a more powerful engine maybe needed to meet with more fuel---more electronics and more weapons carrying capabilities----.

So---for the BLK 2 for pakistan---RD93 is the engine. It is also the engine for the first order that has been procured.

Now as you mentioned about a higher numbers of JF17's sold---then as you stated---obviously---there will be other interesting parties that would want to participate.

Now come to think of it----the russian engine manufacturer is also not blind to what would happen---. It would be extremely ingorant of it to drop this contract to someone else by not providing the right engine for this aircaft---.

So---basically there is a battle for the engine between the chinese---the russians---the europeans----. The russians would really have to screw up or they would not have been able to come up with the upgraded power plant to lose this secured market.

As for the other poster who mentioned about twin engine aircraft---it has already been built and as @Khafee pointed out---it is named as J31.

Now possibly for an upgraded version---the JF17 could be enhanced like the Grippen NG----or similar to the japanese F2---.

The only thing that is of most concern to me for the JF17 is the LOITER TIME of this aircraft----otherwise once it gets integrated with the PL15 and the PL12---the power projection of this aircraft would increase tremendoulsy---but still a heavy bird is of dire need.

If the engine works, why change unless WS-13 is plug and play within jf-17.
at atlas, we had taken atar-9k out of mirage f1 and fitted RD engine - just cannot recall exact series as a proof of concept for super f1.

Hi,

Talk about being insecure---they are having the proverbial cow---that is what the problem is---.
Sir seriously, they think that we don't know anything and we can't do anything...Only Indians have knowledge to do anything in South Asia..!

Sir seriously, they think that we don't know anything and we can't do anything...Only Indians have knowledge to do anything in South Asia..!

Hi,

No---they know we can do it and they can see us doing it---but they cannot bear seeing what we can do----. That is why I stated that they are having cows----.

Otherwise----why would an enemy who is 3 to 5 times larger than us----be coming after us with a vengeance----. We must have some resource that they are concerned about---that they keep coming over here to put us down----oh well. Haters gonna hate---.

Hi,

You are on the right track---. People need to understand---every successful system needs stability in its basic design and the engine. The fighter aircraft engine is as sacred as a heart is to a human body. You just don't go around changing the heart if it is working good.

For future aircraft----maybe with a slightly bigger frame and structure---a more powerful engine maybe needed to meet with more fuel---more electronics and more weapons carrying capabilities----.

So---for the BLK 2 for pakistan---RD93 is the engine. It is also the engine for the first order that has been procured.

Now as you mentioned about a higher numbers of JF17's sold---then as you stated---obviously---there will be other interesting parties that would want to participate.

Now come to think of it----the russian engine manufacturer is also not blind to what would happen---. It would be extremely ingorant of it to drop this contract to someone else by not providing the right engine for this aircaft---.

So---basically there is a battle for the engine between the chinese---the russians---the europeans----. The russians would really have to screw up or they would not have been able to come up with the upgraded power plant to lose this secured market.

As for the other poster who mentioned about twin engine aircraft---it has already been built and as @Khafee pointed out---it is named as J31.

Now possibly for an upgraded version---the JF17 could be enhanced like the Grippen NG----or similar to the japanese F2---.

The only thing that is of most concern to me for the JF17 is the LOITER TIME of this aircraft----otherwise once it gets integrated with the PL15 and the PL12---the power projection of this aircraft would increase tremendoulsy---but still a heavy bird is of dire need.

True. Russia has a headstart and would not like to loose its lead to anyone. Chinese would be a bit disappointed though.

True. Russia has a headstart and would not like to loose its lead to anyone. Chinese would be a bit disappointed though.

Hi,

The chinese will have to fight for the pole position---and make the deal real sweet---and in the end we may all be surprised that the WS10 got the deal.

gr1.jpg

I am only interested in a Pakistani made RD-93 engine. It will be the best thing happen to this program after the first flight of JF-17 Thunder.

Russians will surely help Pakistan in engine manufacturing or overhauling facility. Pakistan International Airlines had a jet engine maintenance and overhauling facility in good old days, don't know the current status. We need to manufacture jet engines, turbines, piston engines and other high tech mechanical and electrical equipment in Pakistan. It will surely help us to move ahead.
I am quite sure,after service and overhaul capabilities the next logical step would be ,improvement in thrust and manufacturing under license.

The focus seems to be more in interesting the Russians to open a maintenance facility so that Russia can be pulled closer...besides..I doubt there are any other deliverable options available..The ej200 ..The Europeans aren't going to let chinese engineers anywhere close to thier product. ..and for the chinese engines. .hmm.

The funny part on this article was that pac designed the plane and that they "worked" extensively with the Russian engineers from klimov.

Whats funny about it ? PAF was heavily involved in the design phase, from the very beginning. Dont be lazy, go to the JF-17 evolution thread.

Back
Top Bottom