What's new

Pakistan to stick with RD-93 engine for JF-17, say PAF officials

Then that would be JF-19

You would need new fuselage, new wings, in other words totally new design. From drawing board to squadron, a minimum of 5 ~ 7 years.

Doesn't sound very viable.

but its doable right ? i mean if we are planning to replace a fleet of some more or less 300 Fighters we need some variety .
so after we end up with 150-200 JF-17 Block 3 upgraded with AESA and other Goodies, we can start working of a new Design for future ?

or lets say we customize the Design of J-31 with a double engine jet ? will that work ?

but its doable right ? i mean if we are planning to replace a fleet of some more or less 300 Fighters we need some variety .
so after we end up with 150-200 JF-17 Block 3 upgraded with AESA and other Goodies, we can start working of a new Design for future ?

or lets say we customize the Design of J-31 with a double engine jet ? will that work ?
Well unless you removed an engine from the J-31, it has twin engines for now.

Secondly, on the twin engined JF-17 /19 why re-create the wheel, when you can customize the J-31 or J-20?

Well unless you removed an engine from the J-31, it has twin engines for now.

Secondly, on the JF-17 /19 why re-create the wheel, when you can customize the J-31 or J-20?

well good point but maybe PAF wont be interested in Chinese Platform ? and RD-93 Engine seems to impress PAF so if we redesign or customize the J-31 with changes in Engine and other air frame , it can serve as 4.5++ gen Fighter post 2020 ..

some people really don't have any brains on PDF.
Pakistan already has about 70 aircraft in operational service or in testing phase right now, that's about 70 RD-93 in service plus however many spares. Who in their right mind would decide to change the engine now?
Those engines represent about $300 million investment, and by the end of Bock 2 production, PAF would have invested more than HALF A BILLION $!

So why in the world would they change the engine?

Hi.

That tells you that the RD93 is the right engine for his aircraft and it was the right engine from day one. The issue about the power are not technical in nature but just for the armchair bandits----blowing bubbles.

This is not a race of who is faster from 0 to 60---but the race is for endurance---utility---availability---ease of servicing and reliability.

Young pakistanis must learn and realize that in weapons of war---you do not go out for glittery and shinny stuff--but you go for the known and proven---.

This is not a dash for a 100 meters race---but this is sustenance for a marathon---so your utility needs to be suitable for the marathon.

We also find out that the smoke issue is also secondary---and there is no big deal about it----it was just a drama created by the critics who could not find anything else wrong with it.
By the way after RD-93 and in future WS-13 how many options (engines) are available for JFT17 ???

@Khafee @MastanKhan @Windjammer @Oscar @araz @Horus guys this question might sound stupid but i am just curious to know..

lets suppose we redesign the JF-thunder for block-4 ( lets Assume ) , and as many people complained that PAF does not have double engine fighters , so can we use two RD-93 Engines , and transform the JF into a double engine fighter ?
i mean if Russians agree on a long term deal of providing these Engines to Pakistan than we can redesign the Fighter and make it a double engine fighter .. by using 2 RD-93's ? is that possible ?

If yes than what could be the possible hurdles ? and if no than why not ??
will using 2 RD-93's will increase the Capabilities of JF ? for example maneuverability and thrust ?

I was once thinking the same thing. But since i am assuming its block4 .
1)So it must be better than block 3. i.e all the good stuff and more(aesa,irst,360hmd &more)
2)must not have big rcs, slightly stealthy would be good.
3)since its bigger it would be nice to have internal weapon bay.

Then I remembered we already have that jet. Its called J31.
Besides if we could designed a duel engine jet, we would have designed block3 by our selves.
So, what I purpose is that.
Since JF17 is poor man's F16... It should get inspiration from F16...
i.e bigger engine+conformal fuel tank+more hard points.
2) proposition is to make dualseater a bit bigger and fit bigger engine in it, may be AL31. And use it as a long(longer than our current capability) bomber.

some people really don't have any brains on PDF.
Pakistan already has about 70 aircraft in operational service or in testing phase right now, that's about 70 RD-93 in service plus however many spares. Who in their right mind would decide to change the engine now?
Those engines represent about $300 million investment, and by the end of Bock 2 production, PAF would have invested more than HALF A BILLION $!

So why in the world would they change the engine?

By the way after RD-93 and in future WS-13 how many options (engines) are available for JFT17 ???

Apparently WS-13 missed the train. PAF couldn't halt JF17 program and wait for engine and now we have procured too many RD-93 engines to make a change. Doesn't make logistical sense hence the talk with Russians for overhaul and servicing facilities in Pakistan. Nevertheless WS-13 and EJ200 remain an option for export examples on customer's request.

Just Like BRAHMOS my friend or license produced "Indigenous" Subamrines ...! If India does it then its JV when Pakistan does then its funny part..How insecure :rofl::rofl:

Of course it's funny..

It's like..One hasn't built or designed a helicopter. .but ends up building a fighter jet..

One hasn't built an slv, But has built a irbm..

One hasn't built a truck or a car..but has built a tank..

One hasn't gotten through the tenth or 12 th grade but has completed his masters and PhD.

The is only one reason PAF is stiicking to a smokey under powered Russian engine.

The chinease engine capability is unknown AND to secure a American or european engine will mean redesign of fuselage and going through trials and IOC & FOC again.

The COST will be horrendous and compeletely defeat the main objective of the THUNDER programme.

" RUSSIAN ENGINES DO WORK & HAVE GOOD POWER but GET READY FOR MAINTENANCE ISSUES and DELAYS IN PROCURING SPARE PARTS.

Ultimately both the general electric which powers the gripen and Tejas and the ej200 from EADS would have been better more modern engines and reliability improved but these cost $7-8 million each the RD93 is under $4 million per engine.

To put 2 engines on a 1 engine fighter would be doable if only they were made of Lego.

Of course it's funny..

It's like..One hasn't built or designed a helicopter. .but ends up building a fighter jet..

One hasn't built an slv, But has built a irbm..

One hasn't built a truck or a car..but has built a tank..

One hasn't gotten through the tenth or 12 th grade but has completed his masters and PhD.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Yeah we know about that License produced copters and slv's with more than 60% foreign components...we also know know about a tank I think "Arjun" which its own armed forces inducted light heartedly...So don't play this Indigenous game here...We know how much advance country India is where 1 lac Ph.D applications comes for a "PEON" job...!

Last edited:
Hi.

That tells you that the RD93 is the right engine for his aircraft and it was the right engine from day one. The issue about the power are not technical in nature but just for the armchair bandits----blowing bubbles.

This is not a race of who is faster from 0 to 60---but the race is for endurance---utility---availability---ease of servicing and reliability.

Young pakistanis must learn and realize that in weapons of war---you do not go out for glittery and shinny stuff--but you go for the known and proven---.

This is not a dash for a 100 meters race---but this is sustenance for a marathon---so your utility needs to be suitable for the marathon.

We also find out that the smoke issue is also secondary---and there is no big deal about it----it was just a drama created by the critics who could not find anything else wrong with it.
Sanity at its best :)

Klimov RD-93 eingine designed specifically for JF17thunder
then why Pakistan not stick with RD-93 eingine
A variant used to power the JF-17 (FC-1). "The most significant difference being the repositioning of the gearbox along the bottom of the engine casing." The Klimov poster at Zhuhai 2010 airshow gave the thrust range of the engine to be 79 kN Dry to 98 kN Wet. This was designed specifically for FC-1 with increased thrust and relocated gearbox compared to base RD-33's. Although the increase of thrust decreased the service life of RD-93 to 2200 hours from RD-33's 4000 hours. According to Air Commodore Mehmood engines are solid and reliable: “We’ve flown 7,000 hours with the engine and we haven’t had any problems”, he said

i guess pakistan thinks the ws-13 is no good for the jf-17. if this is the case then whats going to happen when it comes to the j31? i hear the tfx is a good proposal, featuring ej200 engines.

Not necessarily; the WS-13 is still in testing and simply isn't ready for production at this moment.

Back
Top Bottom