What's new

Pakistan takes major action against Jamaat-ud-Dawaa camp

I am happy for Pakistan to initiate the much needed (and delayed I dare say) action against our common enemies.

We need to see how it is taken forward to the logical conclusion.
Just to add, Musharraf had been clamping down upon anti-Indian forces operating from Pakistan much before 9/11 too. He did carry out similar raids early 2001, even before 9/11.

A fact that people seem to forget. In fact 9/11 stopped that process and the focus shifted away to Taliban. However it was the Jaish, not LeT taht faced the brunt of the Pak Army force. LeT leaders coperated and closed down LeT from offices in Pakistan and only ran Jamaat-ud-Dawaa which doesnt train militants.

LeT, does have camps inside the Indian territory which India doesn't know about.

Pakistan shouldn't have done this. We all know India is our REAL enemy and they've been our enemies even before partition...look at how many Muslims were killed, raped, and tortured in these past 61+ years by the hands of hindus/sikhs.
Lashkar-e-Tayyba never harmed Pakistanis and no one has any proof that Lashkar was behind any of attacks anywhere in the world including India. They are the only group in Pakistan thats not afraid to speak out against hindu bharat.
Pakistan just did this to please America, dont get too happy indians we know india is the only real enemy of Pakistan and it always been that way.

Last edited:
Pakistan shouldn't have done this. We all know India is our REAL enemy and they've been our enemies even before partition...look at how many Muslims were killed, raped, and tortured in these past 61+ years by the hands of hindus/sikhs.
Lashkar-e-Tayyba never harmed Pakistanis and no one has any proof that Lashkar was behind any of attacks anywhere in the world including India. They are the only group in Pakistan thats not afraid to speak out against hindu bharat.
Pakistan just did this to please America, dont get too happy indians we know india is the only real enemy of Pakistan and it always been that way.
India is our enemy because of its illegal occupation of Kashmir.

If LeT was killing Indian Army, nobody would've spoken against them. But if they kill civilian men, women and children... I at least would've trouble giving my stamp of approval to such massacre.

They are only arrested. I'm sure they would get a fair trial. This will even Push India to finally hand over the evidence rather than just handing over the accusations.

"At the same time we all need to understand that these elements will always be present in all govts. and all around the globe.

Rogue CIA agents and Neo Cons are an example in the US."

Red Herring.

You dissemble.

"I always thought education opens up a narrow mind but it did a reverse in your case."

Yes. I'm narrowly focused. It's incisiveness. You, conversely meander-often into unknown terrain.

Once you receive an education worthy of note we'll judge how it's taken with you. To date it's fair to say that quality isn't evident.

Now stay on topic. THAT, btw, isn't me.

India is our enemy because of its illegal occupation of Kashmir.

If LeT was killing Indian Army, nobody would've spoken against them. But if they kill civilian men, women and children... I at least would've trouble giving my stamp of approval to such massacre.

They are only arrested. I'm sure they would get a fair trial. This will even Push India to finally hand over the evidence rather than just handing over the accusations.

There's no evidence at all of LeT being behind mumbai attacks please dont accuse them.

India is not only our enemy because of its illegal occupation of Kashmir they're our enemies because over a million Muslims who were trying to cross to Pakistan's border during partition were killed, raped, some Muslim girls were even forced to convert into sikhism and be slaves to sikhs/hindus. How come before partition Ferozpur was majority Muslim before partition and now Muslims dont even exist in that district in Punjab India? Because they were all slaughtered.

Also even after partition they continue to kill, rape, and torture innocent Muslims in Kashmir and no one could forget what happened in Gujrat, India in 2002. And they steal water from our rivers and violate the Indus treaty and refuse to give us compensation for the water we lost, millions of rupees have been lost in Pakistan because of India's violation of the Indus water treaty., and now that theyre building their dam more loss for Pakistan's economy, no water=no crops, millions die in Pakistan because of India again.

And they will ALWAYS continue to blame Pakistan when anything wrong happens in their country. Its always going to be like this way, India can never be trusted.

Last edited:

I agree. Why and how we are trusting the indians with this is beyond me. These cheap *** fake claims have been made before and are being made again. Remember samjhauta where mr karkare was about to unravel Lieutenant Colonel Srikant Purohit and his fanatical hindu supporters and had hinted that they were responsible for it but f4 samjhauta india had blamed the LET just like they blamed them now. Other attacks such as militant firings etc also have been blamed on the lashker in kashmir. Some lashker burried in a mass grave of "isi agents and pakistani fighters" turned out to be kashmiri civilians however casting doubts here too. Pakistanis must learn to instill patriotism within their hearts and unite in the face of such idiocy rather than try to blame themselves.

It will be an insult to each and every Pakistani to stoop our heads in front of India in this way which is exactly what India wants. There is sufficient proof that the attack was committed by hindu fanatics from India as they are ones who have gained most here. The RAW and their terrorists have started playing huge games with us. Issue is the disloyalty of Pakistanis. We never want to believe truthful people like zaid hamid and neither does our media play a responsible role to tell the truth. On the other hand Indian media is bent on proving Pakistan is a terrorist supporting country and common people seem to believe the idiocy churned out by them. So these are the only differences between Indians and Pakistanis. Our lack of nationalism may ruin us.

The LET only and only operates in Kashmir. Jamat ud dawa is involved in providing supplies and huge amounts of charity in kashmir and balochistan f4 the earthquakes and foreign aid workers were not even touched by jud activists providing supplies in kashmir and balochistan. If LET were to be banned it should have been banned before and that also ONLY IF it was involved in murder of civilians and anti state activities (it is said some of their fighters are fighting our forces in FATA). Fighting indian soldiers and their occupation of kashmir is not reason enough to ban it.

What we see now is we are doing so on the behest and demands of India and this will definately cause upheaval in Pakistan because now it will mean that we are not only bowing in front of american arrogance but also Indian lies that have been told time and time again.

This is an insult to every Pakistani.

Last edited by a moderator:

Relax.. no Indian is " happy' about all what pak is doing . It is common knowledege that Pak changes course / makes U Turns only when the right butons are pressed not because of a change of heart or policy.

Greetings from a new entrant here....
It is indeed good and a positive aspect that Pakistan has atleast started to move against these evil elements now. The only question needs to be seen, is whether this is being done sincerely or this is a hogwash, started simply because of international pressure, to just hoodwink others into cooling the raised tempers. Yes, many Indians are pessimistic about this, with a reason. Just see the recent history when Musharaff was pressured into a similar situation, wherein he outlawed and imprisoned many LeT. What happened further to those? The whole bunch was quietly letoff, & they regrouped in different names and grown in strength financially & influence wise.

Let me quote from an Wolf Blitzer(CNN) interview of Condoleezza Rice this Sunday, as reported by Pakistani national daily Dawn.
Full Report here: http:/dawn.com/2008/12/09/top9.htm
Commenting on the interview, diplomatic observers in Washington said it made it obvious that the United States had left no option for Pakistan but to crack-down on the group already declared a terrorist outfit by Washington.

Many Pakistani friends here, wants to believe that Pakistan has indeed moved against these militants NOT because of pressure from either India or US, but because of their own needs, mainly from a miskewed sense of national pride . Let them find solace in their beliefs. I would also have liked to believe so. Indeed it is a truth that pakistan also is NOW at the receiving end of the murederous acts of these miltiant elements. But bear in mind that, this frankestein-Monster was earlier created & nurtured for many years, by the Pakistani intelligence establishment for waging a proxy war against india, and is now turned uncontrollable, or turned against the creators also to some extent. Hear about the story of the chickens coming home to roost!

Let me move way from a recriminative approach, and attempt a positive one. I think that the current GoP & many moderate elements in the pakistani civil society did want to move purposefully & assertively against these militiants, just to set their own house in order, even without (or even before) the mumbai terror incidents. But wanting & doing are different things. They were not able to do anything significantly or substantively against the militants hitherto, because of huge resistance from the powerfull & influential (& more vocal) conservative forces within & also their supporters in the military/intelligence establishment. The GoP did not have the will to fight against them beyond a point, & I for one cannot blame them, because knowing pakistan's fractured (military/ democratic) history, they will be doing so at their own peril, & paving the way for a military takeover, and hence ending their young democratic experiment. This exactly is the dilemma being faced by the Indian nation, and holding their hands, in moving against pakistan, apart from the disastrous fallout of a war in the region.

But now I think pakistan has a real chance to set their house in order, that is if the moderates & GoP can exploit the current situation to their maximum benefit. Forget about pressure or no pressure from india/US. I wish them well in this endeavour, if it is being conducted with a will & sincerity of purpose. For they must do this for their own interest rather than for anybody else - let alone india. i.e if they want to retrieve the damage caused by their internationally perceived image of being the safe heaven (& ofcourse hand in glove with) for all international islamic terrorists.

Now I have seen that some people here are allergic to responses from indians, even with good intentions, because of the highly charged atmosphere. So let me provide one from a respected pakistani journalist who is considered a moderate.
Irfan Hussains column on Pakistan national daily Dawn : "Facing the Truth". Let me see how many can identify with his views.
Full article: http:/dawn.com/weekly/mazdak/20080312.htm Some simple quotes from his article will suffice here.
Over the last few years, I have travelled to several countries across four continents. Everywhere I go, I am asked why Pakistan is now the focal point of Islamic extremism and terrorism, and why successive governments have allowed this cancer to fester and grow. As a Pakistani, it is obviously embarrassing to be put on the spot, but I can see why people everywhere are concerned. In virtually every Islamic terrorist plot, whether it is successful or not, there is a Pakistani angle. Often, foreign terrorists have trained at camps in the tribal areas; others have been brainwashed in madressahs; and many more have been radicalised by the poisonous teachings of so-called religious leaders.
Madeline Albright, the ex-US secretary of state, has called Pakistan ‘an international migraine’, saying it was a cause for global concern as it had nuclear weapons, terrorism, religious extremists, corruption, extreme poverty, and was located in a very important part of the world. While none of this makes pleasant reading for a Pakistani, Ms Albright’s summation is hard to refute. Often, the truth is painful, but most Pakistanis refuse to see it. Instead of confronting reality, we are in a permanent state of denial. This ostrich-like posture has made things even worse.
I am quoting Mr Hussain here only to point out that a disease (like cancer) has to be recognized & acknowledged to start a cure. Even though it is painful & hurtful to any pakistani like Mr Hussain to acknowledge so.

Last edited:
For the highlighted part, army as an institution comes under GOP and hence acts accordingly. Are you implying that it happens someother way round in your country?
Now look where this is coming from.
Tread back into your history and you will get your answers.
Your country has a PROVEN track record of the contrary.

Suspected Planner of Attacks In Mumbai Is Seized in Raid
By Candace Rondeaux
Foreign Service

02ec2618b7cef39f9834138935f32860.gif

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Watch Video - Alleged Mumbai Mastermind Arrested

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan, Dec. 8 -- Pakistani authorities arrested a suspected ringleader of last month's deadly attacks in Mumbai along with several others in a raid in the Himalayan territory of Kashmir, Pakistani officials, witnesses and allies of the man said Monday.

Residents in the small Kashmiri town of Shawai Nala said dozens of Pakistani soldiers descended about 3 p.m. Sunday on a camp run by Jamaat-ud-Dawa, a Muslim aid organization suspected of funding the militant Pakistani group Lashkar-i-Taiba. Mehboob Ahmed, a resident of the nearby city of Muzaffarabad, the area's capital, said a Pakistani army helicopter gunship swept over the camp several times just before the ground was hit by rocket fire and a fusillade of bullets unleashed by Pakistani forces.

Pakistani security forces arrested 22 people, including Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, one of at least five Lashkar members named by Indian authorities as the organizers of the Mumbai siege, according to local residents and a Jamaat-ud-Dawa member.

Pakistani officials made no official statement about Lakhvi's arrest, and there were some reports that he had in fact not been arrested. While U.S. officials could not independently confirm the capture or comment on Lakhvi's alleged role in the Mumbai attacks, they viewed the action by Pakistan as positive.

"They seem to be stirring," one U.S. counterterrorism official said of the Pakistanis. "But results are what counts."

Police in Mumbai said last week that Lakhvi organized and directed the attacks from the camp near Muzaffarabad. They said Lakhvi worked in coordination with Lashkar commander Yusuf Muzammil, who directed part of the operation from a safe house in the southern Pakistani port city of Karachi. At least 10 gunmen commandeered a fishing boat to ferry them from Karachi to Mumbai, where they launched a raid on two luxury hotels, a train station and a Jewish cultural center. The assault on India's financial capital killed more than 170 people and wounded at least 230.

Lt. Col. Baseer Haider, a spokesman for the Pakistani army, said the operation in Kashmir was being handled by Pakistan's Interior Ministry, the country's lead domestic security agency. An aide to Rehman Malik, chief of the Interior Ministry, said Malik was unavailable for comment Monday.

Indian officials have said the 10 gunmen who attacked Mumbai were trained at a Lashkar camp in Pakistan with the aid of current and retired officers from Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence agency, or ISI. Indian and U.S. officials maintain that Jamaat-ud-Dawa operates as a front organization and financier for Lashkar, which was banned by the Pakistani government after its members were charged with mounting a deadly attack on India's Parliament in 2001. The Indian accusations have provoked denials by Pakistani leaders and prompted a flurry of visits by top U.S. officials aimed at tamping down tensions between the two nuclear-armed rivals.

A high-ranking Pakistani official said that in visits to Islamabad last week, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, warned that failure by Pakistan to take quick and decisive action against Lashkar could result in unilateral U.S. action against the group.

Indian police in Mumbai have said the only gunman arrested in the attacks, Azam Amir Kasab, told investigators that he and the other attackers had received three months of training in weapons and marine navigational techniques. Police said they had identified the nine dead gunmen and the places they came from in Pakistan.

Joint Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria said that all but one of the 10 gunmen, including Kasab, were from four places in the central Pakistani province of Punjab. Three of the gunmen came from the town of Okara, three from the city of Multan, two from the city of Faisalabad and one from Sialkot, he said. Maria also identified Ismail Khan, 26, as the leader of the gunmen. He said Khan came from the northwest Pakistani city of Dera Ismail Khan.

On Monday, a committee of top Pakistani government and military officials met to discuss India's demand to turn over Jamaat-ud-Dawa's founder and leader, Hafiz Sayeed, and about 20 others believed by Indian authorities to be behind several terrorist attacks in India in recent years. Pakistan has declined to hand over those named by India, but said it would cooperate in an investigation into the Mumbai attacks and send a delegation of Pakistani officials to New Delhi.

Lashkar was founded two decades ago, with sponsorship from the Pakistani military, to combat Indian troops in Kashmir, a region over which India and Pakistan have fought repeatedly since the partition of the subcontinent in 1947. For years, Lashkar openly ran a training complex in the Pakistani village of Muridke until the group was officially banned.

The complex is now run by Jamaat-ud-Dawa, which says its activities are strictly charitable. In 2006, however, the U.S. Treasury Department said Jamaat-ud-Dawa was a front group for Lashkar and placed it on a list of designated global terrorist organizations.

A day before Pakistani security forces launched the operation near Muzaffarabad, several Jamaat-ud-Dawa representatives led a tour of the group's main grounds in Muridke. The 75-acre complex, located about 25 miles north of the eastern city of Lahore, has been the center of Jamaat-ud-Dawa's operations since 1992, according to Abdullah Muntazir, a top spokesman for the group. The grounds house a hospital, residential hostels and several schools, including a seminary, a science high school and a university.

Muntazir said Jamaat-ud-Dawa operates on a budget of about $750,000 annually. The money, he said, is used to fund facilities, clinics, schools and programs both at the Muridke complex and in about 66 cities across Pakistan. Pakistani citizens, including millions who live abroad in Europe and the United Arab Emirates, donate much of the funding, Muntazir said.

Muntazir said Jamaat-ud-Dawa gave financial support to Lashkar-i-Taiba during the 1990s, at the height of Pakistan's proxy war with India in Kashmir, and would have continued its support for Lashkar-i-Taiba's activities if the alleged terrorist group hadn't been banned by the Pakistani government. "We respect the law of the land, so we stopped our support. But we think the government of Pakistan should support jihad in Kashmir," Muntazir said.

Staff writers Karen DeYoung and Joby Warrick in Washington, correspondents Emily Wax in Mumbai and Rama Lakshmi in New Delhi, and special correspondents Shaiq Hussain and Haq Nawaz Khan in Islamabad and Mohammed Rizwan in Lahore contributed to this report.

Last edited:
Why India Is Still Skeptical of Pakistan's Anti-Terror Efforts

By Tony Karon Monday, Dec. 08, 2008Print

The raid by Pakistan's security forces on a camp used by the militants blamed for the Mumbai massacre is not the first time Islambad has moved against Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT). But a previous crackdown that came, like this one, under strong pressure from Washington after a LeT terror strike in India, did little to stop the militant group from operating in Pakistan. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice confirmed over the weekend that the U.S. believes the attack on Mumbai was planned from Pakistani soil, and LeT has been named by U.S. and Indian officials as the prime suspect. Indian officials have also made clear that they believe elements of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), longtime sponsor of the LeT, were involved in the Mumbai attack. So, from India's perspective, Pakistan's 2002 crackdown on LeT has not stopped terror attacks from Pakistani soil. And India will likely remain skeptical about Pakistan's bona fides over anti-Indian militants operating on its turf until it is satisfied that such groups have been properly accounted for, dismantled and destroyed.

The men held by Pakistan on Sunday reportedly include Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, whom India accuses of being one of the key organizers of the massacre (based on the interrogation of the sole surviving militant). But India wants the suspects handed over, and Pakistan's President Asif Ali Zardari said last week that Pakistan has no intention of extraditing any suspects to India; those against whom there is sufficient evidence to prosecute will stand trial on Pakistani soil, he told CNN. Zardari is under strong pressure to avoid being seen to buckle to Indian demands, and the Pakistani military, which continues to exercise strong control over national security decisions, is equally leery of bowing to Indian pressure.

In 2002, the government of then President Pervez Musharraf, acting under pressure from Washington, banned LeT after its terror attack on India's parliament had brought the nuclear-armed neighbors to the brink of war. There were arrests of hundreds of members of LeT and other organizations also nurtured by the ISI to wage proxy warfare on India in Kashmir. But many of those arrested were later released, and LeT is widely believed to have have continued to operate politically through the Islamist charity organization Jamaat-ud-Dawa — a charge the Jamaat-ud-Dawa denies. LeT's military arm is also believed to have continued to operate on a clandestine basis in Pakistan, possibly with ongoing ties to elements in (or recently retired from) the ISI, the militant group's original patron.

It also emerged over the weekend that Pakistan had been concerned at the height of the massacre that India might launch air strikes or special forces raids on militant camps in Pakistani-administered Kashmir — and that option remains on the table in India's internal debate over how to respond to Mumbai. While the Pakistani authorities have been able to turn a blind eye, or at least restrict themselves to ritual denunciation, to U.S. missile strikes on suspected militant targets in Pakistani territory along the Afghan border, the Pakistani military would find it extremely difficult to remain passive in the face of an incursion onto its territory by what it has long regarded as the existential enemy next door. By preemptively raiding the LeT camp at Muzaffarabad, Pakistan may be doing two things: one, demonstrating a readiness (prompted by Washington) to be accountable for the actions of even "non-state actors" working from its soil; two, forestalling an Indian attack on the same facility that would put the Pakistani military in a far more difficult position.

Yet acting against members of LeT may carry it's own price domestically, as Islamists threaten to take to the streets in protest. Islamabad is caught between mounting pressure from the U.S. and India to act against those deemed responsible for the Mumbai massacre, and a Pakistani public and military more reluctant to be seen as acting at the behest of either Washington or New Delhi. The raid is a first step, then, but it's the series of steps that follow that will determine whether the Muzaffarabad arrests help cool the cross-border tensions raised by the Mumbai massacre.

Breaking News, Analysis, Politics, Blogs, News Photos, Video, Tech Reviews - TIME.com

There's no evidence at all of LeT being behind mumbai attacks please dont accuse them.

India is not only our enemy because of its illegal occupation of Kashmir they're our enemies because over a million Muslims who were trying to cross to Pakistan's border during partition were killed, raped, some Muslim girls were even forced to convert into sikhism and be slaves to sikhs/hindus. How come before partition Ferozpur was majority Muslim before partition and now Muslims dont even exist in that district in Punjab India? Because they were all slaughtered.

Also even after partition they continue to kill, rape, and torture innocent Muslims in Kashmir and no one could forget what happened in Gujrat, India in 2002. And they steal water from our rivers and violate the Indus treaty and refuse to give us compensation for the water we lost, millions of rupees have been lost in Pakistan because of India's violation of the Indus water treaty., and now that theyre building their dam more loss for Pakistan's economy, no water=no crops, millions die in Pakistan because of India again.

And they will ALWAYS continue to blame Pakistan when anything wrong happens in their country. Its always going to be like this way, India can never be trusted.
That's why I said IF. It's not for you, me or anyone in India to decide. It's up to the Pakistani courts. If they convict these guys we should accept it and uphold the supremacy of the Pakistani law.

Time that the everage Pakistani citizen confidently raises his voice against marauding militant outfits. Pressure from India/US or no pressure, its for the average citizen to decide whether their nation would be better off with these scums or without these.

The rational mind says and sees how an ancient society has been stripped of its civil fabric and doctored with a foreign militant philosophy. As AM and others have been saying, it is in the larger interest of the nation and society that the civil administration acts in cohesion with the military to ensure that these radicals are stripped of the very support that they require from the masses to even survive. Your citizen don't require kalashinikov weilding illiterate radicals either to protect Pakistan or to liberate Kashmir. For that you have a professional army, trained in the anglo-saxon school of war, trust it.

Your professional soldiers won't brutalise your ciivilians and indoctrinate your offsprings to blow themselves up while seeking 72 virgins, the militants will.

look in your own country first fix your own countrys problems first,poeple of pakistan know better than you what they want so please stop with this bla bla, your media also is barking the same thingh .

and stop modi killing muslims.

Now look where this is coming from.
Tread back into your history and you will get your answers.
Your country has a PROVEN track record of the contrary.
Yes HISTORY. The present times spell out a different situation. The Army has time and time again declared they are beneath the civil government and the civil governments decision is to decide the affairs of the country.

The only decision that clashed was on the realignment of the ISI from the Army over to the civil government. The civil government doesn't have authority on such a change till it doesn't get an approval from the Parliament which it never sought.

So whatever you implied, the progression of events are contrary to it. Everything is being done by the book now.

Declare LeT front a terrorist outfit: India

Updated at: 0045 PST, Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Declare LeT front a terrorist outfit: India NEW YORK: Talking tough in the wake of the Mumbai terrorist attacks, India Tuesday urged the UN Security Council to declare Jamaat-ud-Dawa, a front of the Pakistan-based Lashker-e-Taiba (LeT), as a terrorist outfit.

During the course of a debate at the Security Council on terrorism, Indian Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahamed also asserted that the country, from where the terrorist attack originated and was planned, should take immediate steps to stop their operations.

“The Jamaat-ud-Dawa and other such organisations need to be proscribed internationally and effective sanctions imposed against them,” Ahamed told the 15-member Security Council, which held a debate on ‘Threats to international peace and security cause by terrorists’.

Jamaat-ud-Dawa is the public name of LeT, which was banned in 2002. India and the US have said that the LeT and its leaders were involved in the Mumbai terrorist attacks.

India in a letter Friday had formally asked the Security Council to declare Jamaat-ud-Dawa as a terrorist outfit. It also demanded that its leader Hafiz Mohammed Saeed be placed under the Security Council list of global terrorists. No other details of the letter was, however, immediately available.

The Nov 26 Mumbai terrorist attacks dominated the proceedings of this special meeting of the Security Council, wherein member nations not only condemned the heinous attack, but also underlined the need to bring those responsible for it to justice.

Back
Top Bottom