What's new

Pakistan takes major action against Jamaat-ud-Dawaa camp

At this point we are probably looking primarily at the arrest of the individuals India is fingering in the Mumbai blasts, and their associates. I wouldn't be too hopeful of an across the board crackdown because the Government is too preoccupied with FATA.
Err India is finger pointing, not fingering :D lol, kinda changes the meaning!

Time that the everage Pakistani citizen confidently raises his voice against marauding militant outfits. Pressure from India/US or no pressure, its for the average citizen to decide whether their nation would be better off with these scums or without these.

The rational mind says and sees how an ancient society has been stripped of its civil fabric and doctored with a foreign militant philosophy. As AM and others have been saying, it is in the larger interest of the nation and society that the civil administration acts in cohesion with the military to ensure that these radicals are stripped of the very support that they require from the masses to even survive. Your citizen don't require kalashinikov weilding illiterate radicals either to protect Pakistan or to liberate Kashmir. For that you have a professional army, trained in the anglo-saxon school of war, trust it.

Your professional soldiers won't brutalise your ciivilians and indoctrinate your offsprings to blow themselves up while seeking 72 virgins, the militants will.
Dude its only in the Indian mind that Pakistanis are perceived to be hand in glove with the militants. We've been battling these people a lot more than you guys have. Mumbai is like everyday stuff for us.

You really need to stop portraying as evil minions from hell.

Truth is that @200 people were killed mercilessly by terrorist who came from Pakistan.
Whether they came from Pakistan still hasn't been established. Thousands of them are already in India. Being a part of Lashkar doesn't mean they came from Pakistan. And the Lashkar dude should be a given a fair trial as well.

Military poised for more militant raids in Punjab
Syed Saleem Shahzad
Monday, 08 Dec, 2008 | 08:41 PM PST |

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's armed forces have been mobilised for more raids targeting leaders from the banned Kashmiri separatist group Lashkar-i-Taiba in Punjab province.

The move follows the arrest of the group's chief operational commander, Zakiur Rehman Lakhwi, alleged by India to be the mastermind of last month's deadly Mumbai attacks.

Other top commanders and group members were expected to be arrested late on Monday in raids on the town of Muredkey, where Jamaat-ut-Dawa (formerly Lashkar-i-Taiba) has its headquarters, as well as Sheikhupura, Faisalabad and other important cities.

On Sunday, a military helicopter gunship attacked the group's headquarters in Shawai Nullah outside the capital of Pakistani-administered Kashmir, Muzaffarabad.

The army overwhelmed the militants after 90 minutes and several were arrested.

An ISI team on Sunday also visited Jamaat-ut-Dawa's provincial headquarters in Karachi. ISI officials questioned Jamaat-ut-Dawa staff but did not carry out any search operations.

Although Pakistan formally banned Lashkar-i-Taiba after Al-Qaeda's 11 September 2001 attacks on the United States and curbed the group's activities, its camps were never closed, according to analysts.
http://www.dawn.net/wps/wcm/connect...stan/punjab/more-militant-raids-in-punjab--bi

------------------------------------------------

"The army overwhelmed the militants after 90 minutes and several were arrested."

Took an hour and a half to control the militants - apparently some resistance was put up.

Crackdown against LT intensified
Syed Irfan Raza
Monday, 08 Dec, 2008 | 10:41 PM PST |

ISLAMABAD: The government on Monday intensified the crackdown against Jehadi/charity organizations Lashkar-i-Taiba (LT) and Jamaatud Dawa (JD) across the country that led to the arrests of over two dozen persons including a top militant commander wanted by India in connection with Mumbai carnage.

It is hoped that the prevailing tension between two nuclear states—Pakistan and India— will defuse to some extent after the operation was jointly launched by military and civil security forces.

However, both Washington and New Delhi will be looking to how far the Pakistani action goes, diplomatic source said.

The operation that entered on the second day will continue till indefinite period and more arrests are likely to take place during next few days.

‘The operation is going on in Muzaffarbad and some other parts of the country and some arrests have been made including a top man of the LT,’ Director General Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Maj-Gen Athar Abbas told Dawn.

We do not want to go into details of the operation because of certain reasons and sensitivity of the matter,’ he said.

Responding to a question about the nature of the operation he said: ‘It is an intelligence led operation in which not only army but all civil security agencies are taking part.’

Asked if the operation was conducted on the back drop of Mumbai carnage and pressure of India and the United States, the spokesman said: ‘It is quite pre-mature to establish the links of the arrested persons with Mumbai terrorist attacks.’

Answering to a question about the time span of the crackdown against LT and JD, Gen Abbas said there was no timeframe for the operation and it will continue across the country till the desired results are achieved.

Meanwhile, Punjab Police have also ordered sealing of all offices of LT and JD and raids are being conducted in many parts of the country including the federal capital Islamabad.

A senior security official on the condition of anonymity confirmed the arrest of top commander of the LT Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi in a raid conducted at Muzaffarabad last night. Lakhvi is one of the persons wanted by India in connection with Mumbai rampage.

The ever strongest swoop of security forces against the two outfits in the country has hinted that it was conducted to pacify India and United States who have reportedly given Pakistan 48-hour deadline to take ‘strict action’ against LT and JD for their alleged involvement in Mumbai killings.

The government has reportedly acted firmly after US Secretary of States Condoleezza Rice asked Pakistan to take action against the militant organizations.

Ms Rice has urged Islamabad to mount a ‘robust’ and ‘effective’ response to the attacks in India’s commercial hub that claimed over 200 lives last month.
Pakistan was also warned that if it does not take action against the LT and JD, India may go for surgical attacks to hit centers and offices of both organizations.

Lt has already been accused by New Delhi of conducting a number of terrorist activities in India.

A senior security official said a major army operation was under way in Muzaffarabad city suburbs against JD, which is headed by Hafiz Mohammad Saeed.

Jamaatud Dawa is not among 12 banned organisations in Pakistan but it is an off-shoot of LT and is under observation after being put on the watch-list.

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Crackdown against LT intensified

There are those here who see cooperation in these investigations as submission and beneath the national dignity. Amb. Haqqani's comments were refreshingly welcome as an officially-expressed POV and point to what is being done and by whom.

Names of accused are just that-accused, and no more either. Their arrests, should sufficient evidence be available, and their subsequent indictments offer more than justice. They offer the opportunity to exercise the writ of a democratic state while in crisis. Extradition is not presently possible nor necessarily needed. I look forward to police investigations of ACCUSED and legal jurisprudence to be displayed to all of mankind.

This crime likely eminates from factions within Pakistan- but not within the Pakistani gov't. Disgruntled or former members of Pakistani security/intelligence elements are NOT a reflection of policy of the GoP. The American gov't understands this and is working to share what we know and facilitate the lines of communication between Indian and Pakistani officials to better ascertain what both can know.

I hope some here can quit playing amateur sleuth and allow the pros to do their work without attempting to enflame for needless reasons of provocation. It's not helpful and one can only imagine that, done here, you'd do so in public elsewhere.

Haqqani's interview was absolutely spot-on and little else needs to be said officially in light of his clear comments.

There are those here who see cooperation in these investigations as submission and beneath the national dignity. Amb. Haqqani's comments were refreshingly welcome as an officially-expressed POV and point to what is being done and by whom.
Depends upon your perspective. I'd say there are those here who's only goal is to ensure that it looks like Pakistan was made to do it, rather than get anything done.

Names of accused are just that-accused, and no more either. Their arrests, should sufficient evidence be available, and their subsequent indictments offer more than justice. They offer the opportunity to exercise the writ of a democratic state while in crisis. Extradition is not presently possible nor necessarily needed. I look forward to police investigations of ACCUSED and legal jurisprudence to be displayed to all of mankind.

A fair trial is necessary, no doubt.

This crime likely eminates from factions within Pakistan- but not within the Pakistani gov't. Disgruntled or former members of Pakistani security/intelligence elements are NOT a reflection of policy of the GoP./QUOTE]

This is something that the media in the US need to tell as well. So far it has been one sided.

At the same time we all need to understand that these elements will always be present in all govts. and all around the globe.

Rogue CIA agents and Neo Cons are an example in the US.

"Rogue CIA agents and Neo Cons are an example in the US."

Focus, lad- focus. You digress and dissemble to no worthy purpose.

Read more. Type less. Your discourse will improve immeasurably by that exercise of self-restraint.

Whether they came from Pakistan still hasn't been established. Thousands of them are already in India. Being a part of Lashkar doesn't mean they came from Pakistan. And the Lashkar dude should be a given a fair trial as well.

Its up to you whether you are convinced or not but US and its allies are convinced they shared the information with Pakistan.

If you are talking of Kasab then what kind of treatment would he have got in Pakistan ? Sure he will get better treatment in India.

"Rogue CIA agents and Neo Cons are an example in the US."

Focus, lad- focus. You digress and dissemble to no worthy purpose.

Read more. Type less. Your discourse will improve immeasurably by that exercise of self-restraint.

How sad, another bad day at work.

I will certainly read more but you need to quit drinking.

Anything that is done by the US is great and all ills reside in the rest of the world!

Now this is the sign of a mind which needs a doctor so don't waste time typing gibberish in defense forums.

I always thought education opens up a narrow mind but it did a reverse in your case.

Its up to you whether you are convinced or not but US and its allies are convinced they shared the information with Pakistan.

If you are talking of Kasab then what kind of treatment would he have got in Pakistan ? Sure he will get better treatment in India.
Well the justice system of Pakistan has to be convinced too.

What info was shared with Pakistan?

Indians claim that they recieved info that militants will come via sea route then please advise who got this info on the Pakistani side!

If the US an dIndians knew and they didn't shared this info then it means that the both US and GoI wantd this to happen.

Quit complaining and hand over Brahamdagh Bugti and others today!

Damn I was just observing the whole thread and I was like not one soul expressed any gratitude! Good stuff! You're welcome.

I am happy for Pakistan to initiate the much needed (and delayed I dare say) action against our common enemies.

We need to see how it is taken forward to the logical conclusion.

I am happy for Pakistan to initiate the much needed (and delayed I dare say) action against our common enemies.

We need to see how it is taken forward to the logical conclusion.

Pakistan would also like to see the closure of those terror emitting Indian consulates in Afghanistan.

We need to see if India has any control over RAW or not.

If not then there will be no logical, illogical, philosophical or any other 'cal' ending word conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom