What's new

Pakistan Space and Satellite Developments

I am recently taking a course of satellite communication. My teacher is an ex employee of suparcoo . Acc to him Pakistan had made the blue prints of a satelite during the second reign of Benazir Bhutto but the project was cancelled due to the lack of Funds .

Pakistan's Future Remote Sensing Satellite

After successful launching and operation of BADR series of experimental satellites (BADR-1 and BADR-B) in the 1990s and early 2000s, SUPARCO now plans to launch high resolution remote sensing satellite system (RSSS) to meet the national and international user requirements in the field of satellite imagery.

A feasibility and system definition study was concluded in January 2007 which recommended the launch of a constellation of Optical and Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) Satellites to ensure that the domestic and international user requirements are competitively met. In this respect the RFP for RSSS consultancy services was launched in July 2007. Launch of RFP for the manufacturing of the satellite is planned in the third quarter of year 2008.

RSSS is planned to be a progressive and sustainable program. Initially, SUPARCO plans to launch an optical satellite with payload of 2.5 meter PAN in 700 km sun-synchronous orbit by the end of year 2011, which will be followed by a series of optical and SAR satellites in future. Necessary infrastructure for ground control and image reception and processing is also planned to be setup.
:pakistan:

Pakistan's Prototype Remote Sensing Satellite (PRSS)

SUPARCO developed a Prototype Remote Sensing Satellite in 2007 as a part of skill development programme. It is an indigenous effort in the field of satellite engineering aimed at enhancing the know-how and capacity building of its scientists and engineers. Facilities developed/upgraded were utilized to test and evaluate the satellite responses in various environments such as HELMHOLTZ Coil, Clean Room, Anechoic Chamber and Light Controlled Environment, Satellite Platform Control Unit and Satellite Mission Control Room.

The Prototype satellite is the evaluation version of FM Satellite, in which Satellite Control, Navigation, Imaging, Communication and Power Management have been completely implemented.

The PRSS is able to acquire 2.5m GSD of satellite images. The PRSS Satellite is controlled through the OBC which can handle Telecommand and Telemetry through Ground Segment. All the subsystems of the Satellite are interconnected through CAN-2.0 Bus. The Power Capacity of PRSS is 600W with state of the art Power Management system which is used to perform Solar Power Distribution, Battery Power Distribution, Fast Take Over and Battery Charging Module and Subsystem Power Distribution through specific Power Control Unit which will manage the power according to specific requirements. In Satellite Navigation and Control system, PRSS is fully equipped with sophisticated Sensors and Actuators. The Satellite Navigation system comprises 3-Axis rate Gyros, Magnetometers, Accelerometers, Digital sun Sensor and Star tracking Sensors in order to provide accurate attitude and orbital determination. Magnetotorquer Rods, Thruster and Reaction wheels are used for controlling satellite attitude. The imaging Payload System is equipped with High resolution CCD sensor which is used in IKONOS, QUICKBIRD satellite for imaging with high speed Data Acquisition and Transmission to Ground Segment. The protocol implementation for communication of PRSS to Satellite Ground Segment is fully CCSDS complaint which can easily be interfaced with any standard Ground based equipments.

The prototype satellite has been integrated and tested under various conditions and through various testing tools in order to evaluate its performance and reliability.
Development Of PRSS Subsystems
On-Board Data Handling System
The On-Board Computer System of PRSS Prototype satellite on 386 Ex Processor based and hardware communication on CAN 2.0 bus. PIC Controllers have been used to establish sub-system communication with On Board Computer (OBC).OBC has been mounted and harnessed with other subsystems on satellite structure. Ground station software functionality with hardwired link has been successfully established and tested along with Telemetry acquisition and Telecommand generation.

The OBC is fully equipped with redundant logic circuits which can handle any kind of error occurring in space.

RF Transmitter / Receiver

Along with digital expertise, PRSS team is also mature in RF areas. The PRSS Prototype is equipped with S-Band transmitter, supporting Data rate of 150 Mbps with direct carrier QPSK modulation scheme. Integration and testing of different transmitter modules was performed successfully. S-Band Telemetry Transmitter and Telecommand Receiver has been mounted on satellite.

Reaction Wheel and Propellant Tank

The reaction wheel mounted on the PRSS is used to perform actuation for compensation of orbital displacement in SPACE environment. The reaction wheel has been designed according to theoretical calculation of satellite environment. The pressure vessel design is essential because the propellant used for the thrusters needs to be stored in some storage device, the pressure vessel serves this purpose.

The storage tank was developed by using ASME Section VIII standards (the standards for pressure vessel). The pressure vessel is designed to store 30kg of propellant at high pressure without failure, with mass not more that of 10Kg.

Satellite Electrical Power System

PRSS Prototype Model is equipped with 600 watts Power System which has been developed and integrated with other subsystems. The power requirements of satellite Prototype comprises Solar panels of 32V and 11A, Battery Pack of 24V and 10A, fully regulated bus of 28V, Battery Discharge Regulators, Battery Charger (Fast and Trickle), Power Management and Control Unit. Separate Power distribution modules have been designed for individual subsystems with the provision of voltage and current monitoring.

Imaging Payload System

Functional testing of Imaging Payload of PRSS has been successfully completed. The Features of the Imaging Payload System are: KLI14403 Tri-linear CCD Sensors are used for imaging which have 3-Band sensor arrays with Resolution of 14400 pixels in line. High rate pixel output has been interfaced with 10MHz, 3-Parallel High Speed ADC with 12 Bit Resolution at 10MHz rate, Imaging Payload Controller on DM642 Media Processor Based Design for Managing System Tasks, Ethernet Based Image Data Transmission with CCSDS format at 100Mbps, UART Based IPC interface with CAN Controller, Telescope with 20m focusing for testing and evaluation of overall performance of sensor.

The Ground Segment Software has been developed for the acquisition of image data from satellite payload controller over Ethernet interface. It acquires and saves image data with time stamping and displays sub-sampled/low resolution image in the GUI. An Imaging Platform is designed to acquire the simulated earth images. Since the PRSS MSS sensor is push broom sensor therefore the moving platform is developed in order to test sensor and overall IPS electronics performance. This system is placed on PRSS Prototype Structure and its harnessing functional testing/debugging has been completed. Its software and hardware performance with power consumption log is measured and scrutinized with calculated system response which has successfully fulfilled all such requirement.

Efforts For Human Resource Development in Space Technology

In order to meet the huge requirements of the NSDP (National Satellite Development Programme) an ambitious and rigorous Human Resource Development programme is being undertaken at SUPARCO. Under this programme many scientists, engineers and technical personnel have been sent abroad for higher studies in fields like:

Aeronautics & allied disciplines

Communications (tele communication, satellite communication)

Engineering & allied fields

Mechanical Manufacturing

Remote Sensing & allied fields

Environment Sciences

Concurrently management personnel are also being trained and educated. An elaborate on-the-job training programme is being implemented to further these objectives by continuously upgrading the capabilities and skills of scientists and engineers.

samudra, one thing I can tell you for sure. Pakistan not only posses all the required capabilities but technology too. Sending a rocket to the moon or a missle to other country does not have too much difference. May be, it is also due to non availability of sincere and good quality leadership. Overall, leaders like nawaz are not needed, who speak loudly before the war and then go pussy during it.

This embarassing phenomenon happens when you dont actually possess missile technology but instead, you have off the shelf imported hardware from China and N korea. The fault here is that there has been too much bragging of the missiles being indegenous. Now you have no face to answer why you cant launch a simple SLV. Only hardware does not count. You need to have the technology, which sadly you do not have, but you wont admit it either. I know pakistan has a PHD in denying anything and everything it finds embarassing.

No point in cursing your leadership. Remember they are the same ones who funded, supported and realised pakistans nuclear test. They cant be both heroes and villains at the same time.

Last edited:
I open this thread because I believe that Pakistan have to make developments in this field, as it mean we are independent of satellite technology. Our security will be enhanced, we can acquire Inter- Continental Missile and we are able to dictate the dogs of the world who are know threatening us (usa, uk, Israel, toy India).

No one can fight batter than us on Ground (Face to Face) and we also have to prove this verdict on space.:flame:

Proud to be Muslim, Proud to be Pakistani.

ALLAH AKBAR

Last edited:
I open this thread because I believe that Pakistan have to make developments in this field, as it mean we are independent of satellite technology. Our security will be enhanced, we can acquire Inter- Continental Missile and we are able to dictate the dogs of the world who are know threatening us (usa, uk, Israel, toy India).

No one can fight batter than us on Ground (Face to Face) and we also have to prove this verdict on space.:flame:

ALLAH AKBAR

Seems we have a winner here.

Some people really start useless threads.

Wagwaan guys:wave:
i am new to defence.pk:pdf:, i noe i had to introduce myself before posting anything but dono how to post a thread over here, :pakistan:

ALLAH AKBAR

Bro....Your post does not leave an impressive mark I would say. You are blinded by hate.

I am all for a developed Pakistan industry which would promote economic benefits and scientific research as well. There are various use apart from military. BTW, Pakistan is quite good in missiles.
:coffee:

ALLAH AKBAR

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lol khanay kiliye daal tak insaan nahe kareed pa raha aur SPACE DEVELOPMENT karnay chalay hain ham ? lol comeon yaar dont start useless thread

well, may be you are wrong, Pakistan is doing every bit to develop itself in the field of space, I heard pak-China are developing a communication satellite, correct me if Iam wrong.... The only thing pakistan needs its own launch vehicle and geographically suitable place to build launch pad... Hmnn well... We all would love to see a developed pakistan, as Like there wont be terrorists giving Indo-pak tensions....

Back
Top Bottom