What's new

Pakistan’s first-ever liver transplant centre opens in Shifa Hospital

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
* Doctor says Rs 4 million for a liver transplant still much less than operation cost in India or any other country where Pakistanis go for liver transplant

Staff Report

ISLAMABAD: After performing four successful living donor liver transplants in last six weeks, Shifa International Hospital (SIH) on Saturday formally opened its liver transplant centre, the first such centre in Pakistan. Muhammad Yaseen, 12, the first living donor liver transplant patient operated upon a couple of weeks ago, formally inaugurated the centre.

During a media briefing after the centre’s formal opening, Dr Faisal Saud Dar said, “Shifa International Hospital is the best tertiary care hospital that has all the facilities of an international standard needed to start living donor liver transplant programme on regular basis.”

Dr Dar said that around 34 different medical disciplines are involved in performing one liver transplant that is the most complex surgery the medical science has ever invented. He said that Shifa’s liver transplant programme was operational since 2009 with an aim to perform first liver transplant within three years.

“Since liver transplant surgery is not new to Pakistan, given that many previous efforts have failed in the past, the challenge was to develop a sustained liver transplant programme by studying and addressing existing deficiencies. “Shifa is in a unique position to conduct a successful liver transplant programme because it has all the ingredients for liver transplant pathway,” Dr Dar said. He said, “We are a team of 30 members. All were sent abroad for training prior to starting the liver transplant programme at Shifa.” It is pertinent to mention here that Dr Faisal Dar himself spent many years at Kings College Hospital, London in liver transplant programme under direct supervision of world’s renowned liver transplant surgeon Dr Muhammad Rela and performed many successful liver transplant surgeries.

He also acknowledged and thanked Dr Rela’s support for starting regular liver transplant at Shifa. “Now patients in Pakistan will get world-class transplant services.” Dr Dar said all the four patients - Muhammad Yaseen, Asad Mir, Safia Begam and Rehana Babar - and their donors - Humaira Sadaf, Waqas, Muhammad Irfan and Umar Zahid - were recovering rapidly.

Patient Muhammad Yaseen is the only brother of eight sisters. He had congenital liver disorder that resulted in complete liver failure. He has got a new life after successful liver transplant. “I am very happy and I want to be a liver transplant surgeon when I grow up,” he stated. To a question, Dr Dar said the cost of a liver transplant will vary from Rs 3 to Rs 4 million, but it was much less than in India or any other country where Pakistanis go for liver transplant. He also urged the people to not to hesitate to donate liver for saving precious lives as donors also recover very rapidly after donating a graft of their liver.

Dr Manzoor H Qazi, while thanking the media, Novartis and the stakeholders for helping establish the country’s first liver transplant centre, said, “Shifa’s LTP will not only offer liver transplant surgery, but will also train individuals within the country to help establish similar programmes across Pakistan to address the high need of liver transplant.”

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Great news. One more critical illness treatement centers for Pakistani's.

This is very good news and one step in the right direction. Many people in Pakistan suffer from hepatitis and their livers go bad, due to bad drinking water. This was the case with my late grandmother(may she rest in Janna).

Pakistan should try to improve its health Care systems. we are lagging far behind the rest of the World in Health Care.

as we have large population and enough deseases so its need of the hour to bring every possible treatment here.

I second that. But meanwhile it is good news.

Imran khan has opened a free cancer hospital in punjab and he is making more in Sindh and in khyber Pakhtunkhwa. i'm counting on him to lead us to expand that awareness.

UK can barely afford free health care, where will the money come from in a developing and populous country like pakistan.

What do you think of Canada and Cuba? :wave:
Of course we have a big population and that is an issue which i agree we have to deal with.

UK can barely afford free health care, where will the money come from in a developing and populous country like pakistan.

May be we should go there for liver related illments.

Lots of Indian hospital already having this facilities from years.....

Imran khan has opened a free cancer hospital in punjab and he is making more in Sindh and in khyber Pakhtunkhwa. i'm counting on him to lead us to expand that awareness.

It was a noble act on his part. I know a friend who went through liver transplantation and I know it is very expensive - not only the procedure but the post care as well. I have thought a few times if it is unaffordable for a middle class person how the poor would afford these kinds of treatment. I wish Imran opens a free transplant center as well.

Lots of Indian hospital already having this facilities from years.....
Read the news bro, it is cheaper there. I am sure we will be treated well there.

What do you think of Canada and Cuba? :wave:
Of course we have a big population and that is an issue which i agree we have to deal with.
No, the original question is, where will the money come from? Increased taxation?
Are tax rates in pakistan (and %people actually paying) comparable to canada and cuba?
If you crack down on tax avoidance, you will have law and order issue.

Read the news bro, it is cheaper there. I am sure we will be treated well there.

No, the original question is, where will the money come from? Increased taxation?
Are tax rates in pakistan (and %people actually paying) comparable to canada and cuba?
If you crack down on tax avoidance, you will have law and order issue.

Well in 6-9 months, Pakistanis living abroad have been sending more than 15+ billions of dollars. This could be an option.

Back
Top Bottom