What's new

Pakistan receiving alot more F-16s than ordered: AFM

You can only confirm by reading the AFM. ;) Haider should have the access.

I have seen the Nov-07 issue of AFM. there is no mention of this news....

however the 28 F-16s which were embargoed were split between the USAF and USN (14 a/c each)
USAF agreed to transfer the original F-16s to PAF (and transfer is in progress), however the USN declined to transfer the remaining 14 a/c in its inventory.
Meanwhile ANG a/c were offered as a replacement which were rejected by the PAF. therefore the USAF had no other choice but to offer newer used F-16s Blk 25/30/40 to the PAF, which it seems have been accepted by the PAF (going by the AFM news).
I doubt if there are additional a/c over and above the agreed quantity.

can anone confirm how many F-16 are now in PAF Inventory as of today Nov. 2007

can anone confirm how many F-16 are now in PAF Inventory as of today Nov. 2007

here we go again...

32 survivors of the original 40.
2 delivered in Dec-06
4 delivered upto Aug-07
38 total

22 further to be delivered upto June-08 (could be a delay due to emergency)

all 60 to be MLU-ed

18 Blk 52 delivery starts in 2009.
18 Blk 52 option - delivery status unknown.

@Webby...it is possible because US air force has so many spare F16 older version , all are sitting in storage. For the support of this news, here is piece of news...

November 10, 2007 (by Lieven Dewitte) - According to the Croatian newspaper "Nacional", the USA is ready to offer Croatia used F-16s for free. This was the outcome of a recent meeting between the head of the Croatian Air Force and US military officials in the Pentagon.
A Croatian military delegation visited the United States between 10 to 19 September. Top US military officials seemed to be exceedingly satisfied with all joint Croatian-American military operations in Afghanistan.

Also, Croatia has demonstrated consistency in its relations with the USA over the past two years. It has fulfilled its promises and this bolstered its credibility with American foreign policy officials.

The donation of F-16s to Croatia would have wide-reaching security significance as it would help Croatia to safeguard the stability in the Balkan region from an American stand point.

Besides a political interest for the donation, there is also an economical one. Should Croatia decide to purchase new fighter aircraft, Sweden's Gripen looks like a more affordable solution both in terms of base price and longer term offset programs, which the Americans for sure would like to avoid.

The F-16s the US might be offering will be older, but nonetheless excellent aircraft, which are currently in storage and not serving their purpose anyways. Besides investing in a new infrastructure Croatia also have to pay the US for pilot training, spare parts and their likely modernisation.

Then once the F-16 becomes obsolete and Croatia has made a considerable investment in the Lockheed Martin jets, it will make it much more likely for them to consider the F-35 as a follow-on purchase.

Croatia currently has a dozen ageing, Soviet-era MiG-21s bought in the mid 1990s. It is believed only three or four are now airworthy.

US offering Croatia free F-16 fighter jets

however the 28 F-16s which were embargoed were split between the USAF and USN (14 a/c each)
USAF agreed to transfer the original F-16s to PAF (and transfer is in progress), however the USN declined to transfer the remaining 14 a/c in its inventory.
Meanwhile ANG a/c were offered as a replacement which were rejected by the PAF. therefore the USAF had no other choice but to offer newer used F-16s Blk 25/30/40 to the PAF, which it seems have been accepted by the PAF (going by the AFM news).

Yasser is talking about the Dec. issue of AFM.;)

Yasser is talking about the Dec. issue of AFM.;)

we dont get the Dec issue till the 1st week of Dec in Pakistan but i still think the status quo on the no. of F-16s is the same. 28 used, 18 new with option for 18 more.

This can be understandable. I dont know why would PAF would like to use the aircrafts which it ordered, and was used by the United States forces for a long long time.. not to mention they no longer give that much technological edge compare to the newer models. So i can accept that.

in my opinion the JF-17 thunder with french avionics will be a biger threat than the block-32 models

I bought the mag and it says some F16's... No lot of F16's... And the reason is that no one is intrested in these... They are not comparable with block52 and have lots of hours. Only stupid nation would go for that and that is the reason why the F16 is the next drone to test...

From a sparing standpoint, these surplus airframes may not be a bad thing...very similar to the Mirage IIIs purchased from Australia. Quite a few ended up becoming spares.

My own count is that we currently have 36 F-16 A/Bs total.

We have received 2+2 (not sure about the 4 being received by Aug) beyond the 32. More are to arrive.

Fatman, how did you get 4 for this year? AFAIK, we have only received 2 thus far.

This can be understandable. I dont know why would PAF would like to use the aircrafts which it ordered, and was used by the United States forces for a long long time.. not to mention they no longer give that much technological edge compare to the newer models. So i can accept that.

webby,
the only reason PAF wanted the original F-16s is...
1. according to PAF requirements
2. low airframe hours/fatigue. remember they were sitting in the arizona boneyard from 92 until 05.
ofcourse they will undergo the MLU.

Back
Top Bottom