What's new

Pakistan reaffirms commitment to N-test moratorium

HypocriteHunter

Reaction score
Country
India
Some excerpts:

The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO) held a ministerial meeting in Vienna on Monday, marking 20 years since the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) was opened for signature in 1996. The countries that have still to ratify the treaty were invited to join member states and the CTBTO to discuss the future of CTBT.

At the conference, participants pledged to take further steps towards making test ban a binding reality but India and North Korea opted to stay out.

Pakistani Ambassador as usual targeted India and repeated what we hear daily, read more at : http://www.dawn.com/news/1264952/pakistan-reaffirms-commitment-to-n-test-moratorium

Only North Korea, India, and Pakistan have not signed the treaty among the Annex 2 states.

800px-CTBT_Participation.svg.png

Now my question is:

Is Pakistan planning to sign CTBT or its just posturing to look better for NSG membership? Also if its just NSG posturing what will it achieve? (beside using one more portal against India).

For Indian CTBT future a good article is
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/india-and-the-ctbt/article6892680.ece

I also tried to find previous meetings and participants but there is no such record of India or Pakistan participating if anyone can find it please mention.

No trolling please, if you dont understand anything please refer to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Nuclear-Test-Ban_Treaty

Some excerpts:

The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO) held a ministerial meeting in Vienna on Monday, marking 20 years since the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) was opened for signature in 1996. The countries that have still to ratify the treaty were invited to join member states and the CTBTO to discuss the future of CTBT.

At the conference, participants pledged to take further steps towards making test ban a binding reality but India and North Korea opted to stay out.

Pakistani Ambassador as usual targeted India and repeated what we hear daily, read more at : http://www.dawn.com/news/1264952/pakistan-reaffirms-commitment-to-n-test-moratorium

Only North Korea, India, and Pakistan have not signed the treaty among the Annex 2 states.

800px-CTBT_Participation.svg.png

Now my question is:

Is Pakistan planning to sign CTBT or its just posturing to look better for NSG membership? Also if its just NSG posturing what will it achieve? (beside using one more portal against India).

For Indian CTBT future a good article is
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/india-and-the-ctbt/article6892680.ece

I also tried to find previous meetings and participants but there is no such record of India or Pakistan participating if anyone can find it please mention.

No trolling please, if you dont understand anything please refer to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Nuclear-Test-Ban_Treaty
The latter of your blue statement is the reason I believe.

But, we will end up in more trouble, perhaps even sanctions as we are committing ourselves voluntarily.

The latter of your blue statement is the reason I believe.

But, we will end up in more trouble, perhaps even sanctions as we are committing ourselves voluntarily.

The original article also mention that Pak Ambassador also said that Pak wont be the first country to test in the region and India got no reason to test again beside that most of the nuclear deals with other countries will be void if they test again, so I dont think you will test again and get sanctions unless Iran test them first.

The original article also mention that Pak Ambassador also said that Pak wont be the first country to test in the region and India got no reason to test again beside that most of the nuclear deals with other countries will be void if they test again, so I dont think you will test again and get sanctions unless Iran test them first.

It all depends on the situation, India can absorb and quite well withstand the international pressure owing to its diplomatic clout and all. Pakistan will likely follow the suit and end up in sanctions blaming discrimination, not realizing that they are binded by voluntary agreement

It all depends on the situation, India can absorb and quite well withstand the international pressure owing to its diplomatic clout and all. Pakistan will likely follow the suit and end up in sanctions blaming discrimination, not realizing that they are binded by voluntary agreement

Its not about withstanding international pressure, even Pakistan can withstand any international pressure, they are already doing it. Its more about undoing all these years of hard work, they worked for almost a decade or more to get these deals done with Canada, Australia, US and other countries, almost all of them will be declared dead if India tests, so I am pretty sure they are not going to test ever again. The next test will be in battlefield only if they are attacked with nuclear first.

Who says Pakistan is signing on CTBT? It is just a regular lip service and the timing is spot on.

Why India was no show on this occasion? Not a good strategy when lobbying hard for NSG. Or was it the case of throwing the toys out on the prospects of being shown the door in NSG despite strong American backing?

Pakistan will likely follow the suit and end up in sanctions blaming discrimination, not realizing that they are binded by voluntary agreement

Or Pakistan can play any test by India smartly. Get concessions in return for not replying in kind.

Why India was no show on this occasion? Not a good strategy when lobbying hard for NSG. Or was it the case of throwing the toys out on the prospects of being shown the door in NSG despite strong American backing?

Because India's political clout speaks for itself, besides they have no reason to test any weapons. Cold-tests perhaps if they decide to modernize their weapons but those are hard/ impossible to detect.

Because India's political clout speaks for itself, besides they have no reason to test any weapons. Cold-tests perhaps if they decide to modernize their weapons but those are hard/ impossible to detect.

Which clout you are talking about? Having yanks on their side? That is not taking them very far in the NSG does it.

I was asking the reasons for them to skip this meet specially when their application in NSG is on the knife edge. Wrong move in my opinion, they could have explained their position.

Which clout you are talking about? Having yanks on their side? That is not taking them very far in the NSG does it.
I was asking the reasons for them to skip this meet specially when their application in NSG is on the knife edge. Wrong move in my opinion, they could have explained their position.

Listen kiddo, India outplayed Pakistan diplomatically. Just restraining themselves after Mumbai got them major points.

Now you got a couple of Afghans firing across the border and rather than state your case, you march your FC into a war footing.

India doesn't need the NSG, it's in NSG's interests to get India in. India already has a wavier, they can already do what any NSG member can do even though they aren't in it.

India will not make any tests becoz it got NSG waiver and deals with france, russia, canada, usa, japan, australia.
But why is pakistan committing to such deal, what have they got in the past that they are afraid of losing ?

Listen kiddo, India outplayed Pakistan diplomatically. Just restraining themselves after Mumbai got them major points.

Now you got a couple of Afghans firing across the border and rather than state your case, you march your FC into a war footing.

India doesn't need the NSG, it's in NSG's interests to get India in. India already has a wavier, they can already do what any NSG member can do even though they aren't in it.

Listen sunshine, India didnt do a jack, its the yanks which are hell bend on propping them up against Pakistan (China is just a pretext).

Thing is Pakistan dont give monkies to NSG either, its quite apparent from our lax attitude towards it, and if you dont know, even back in 2008, China was adamant to block the wavier and was requesting the Zardari government but GOP showed no interests and India was allowed the wavier. But this time, because Indian being what they are, started chest thumping way before time which was getting bit annoying, hence this time Pakistan put them in their place.

As for NSG needs India, first try to get in and then we will talk about it.

Its not just Pakistan, China needs to flex its own muscle to show to the world that there is the new don in the town. If other states think that they can get whatever they want being in good books of yanks, well time has change now. Its all about geopolitics then actually when NSG offer in real terms.

India will not make any tests becoz it got NSG waiver and deals with france, russia, canada, usa, japan, australia.
But why is pakistan committing to such deal, what have they got in the past that they are afraid of losing ?

Where does it say Pakistan committing to CTBT? All Pakistan is saying that we wont be the first one in the region to start the nuclear testing. It has been our stance all along historically and factually.

Where does it say Pakistan committing to CTBT? All Pakistan is saying that we wont be the first one in the region to start the nuclear testing. It has been our stance all along historically and factually.

That is as good as NO.
Coz india has got both its both hands full with deals and hence there is no need to upset this rhythm of nuclear theme for india.
Pakistan fell in its own trap, with that rhetoric of "will not be the first" without even getting any prize deal.

The bold part, that is something which only people who are able to understand real politik can appreciate. The people in that category are rare in PDF.

If I may add on to your post, as you have rightly pointed out, it shall be in interest of NSG to get India in. However, not withstanding the same, the shift in Indian Government's thinking to utilise the waivers to realise the full potential of Indian Nuclear Industry which has thus been kept under financed and dormant, shall be able to enable India to continue without any special concessions. The fast breeder reactors and thorium based nuclear energy is getting a major boost in terms of finance for R&D and improvement in overall program.

Listen sunshine, India didnt do a jack, its the yanks which are hell bend on propping them up against Pakistan (China is just a pretext).

Thing is Pakistan dont give monkies to NSG either, its quite apparent from our lax attitude towards it, and if you dont know, even back in 2008, China was adamant to block the wavier and was requesting the Zardari government but GOP showed no interests and India was allowed the wavier. But this time, because Indian being what they are, started chest thumping way before time which was getting bit annoying, hence this time Pakistan put them in their place.

As for NSG needs India, first try to get in and then we will talk about it.

Its not just Pakistan, China needs to flex its own muscle to show to the world that there is the new don in the town. If other states think that they can get whatever they want being in good books of yanks, well time has change now. Its all about geopolitics then actually when NSG offer in real terms.

Hence how Pakistan got outplayed.

India was losing output from their nuclear reactors from a decline in uranium. India needed the waiver, and the US wanted to prop it for their coming 'pivot to asia'. Zardari was too stupid and selfish to think about anything more than his bank account. Pakistan could have said, "Hey this is bs" and carried out a massive pr campaign with their diplomats but come on... Pakistani diplomats doing work?

Like I said before, NSG adds a sense of inclusion and respect visa via the other members as a responsible nuclear state. India can do everything the NSG set out to prevent non NPT nations from getting nuclear materials or technology. The waiver abolishes that solely for India.

Its not just Pakistan, China needs to flex its own muscle to show to the world that there is the new don in the town.

"Any man who must say 'I am the King' is no true king.” - George RR Martin

The fast breeder reactors and thorium based nuclear energy is getting a major boost in terms of finance for R&D and improvement in overall program.

Is India planning on buying them or internal R&D to enhance their ~600MW know-how.

Most talk that I've come across since 2008 is reactors from France, Russia, possibly US are PWR/ PHWR.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom