What's new

Pakistan plan IPL equivalent

Humanist

Reaction score
Pakistan's players have not been a part of the IPL since its inaugural season, but the PCB has plans to launch their own equivalent of the Twenty20 tournament, though they have admitted it will not be possible to host it in Pakistan. Instead, they want to host the tournament in Dubai, where Pakistan have played one-day internationals against Australia and South Africa, and the latter in a Test match.

Sultan Rana, the chief of PCB's domestic cricket department, told Pakpassion.net the plans had been in the pipeline for the last two years but the board had to delay it because of the attack on Sri Lanka's cricketers during their tour of Pakistan in March 2009.

"We first considered the idea a couple of years ago," he said. "The documents were complete and we were all set to go, but the attack on the Sri Lankan team meant that we had to shelve all of our plans at that time

"I recently went to Sri Lanka during the World Cup and spoke to many other countries' board representatives, but apart from Sri Lanka they are reluctant to send their players to Pakistan. So, that presents a problem for us. We simply cannot host the tournament in Pakistan if we want to attract the top players."

The IPL was also hosted abroad in its second season, when the tournament was shifted to South Africa after security concerns arising from the Mumbai attacks in December 2008 meant it could not be staged in India. Rana was confident Pakistan's board could do something similar.

"What we are trying to do is to organise a competition in Dubai. This idea was discussed in the past and has very much been in our plans and is still on the table. I'm sure we (PCB) can organise this tournament, which will run along the lines of the Indian Premier League

They are planning to start in UAE ... I wonder how they will bring crowd for 50-60 days in sarjah or dubai...

very intelligent, they must start hosting in uae, and then when the conditions are good the tournament will come to pakistan and pakistan will get good reputation as sports are held more frequently, there are lots of pakistanis living in middle east

well it might be later organized in England or South Africa and eventually move back to Pakistan.

Season 2 or 3 might take place in Pakistan when some players will be confident and willing to play in Pakistan

What concerns me is the abundance of money players would be seeking for. How are they going to generate enough funds to make it like IPL. Yes perhaps Geo TV, ARY and few other TV channels might buy their own franchises since they have net assets worth billions. Other business personality like Mansha, Anwar Parvaiz etc might also consider opening their franchises. But still the idea seems bit doubtful until they eventually come up with such plan.

May be they won't be able to pay heavy money in millions of dollars but surely they would be able to afford millions of rupees for players. Those who were not selected in IPL might be playing in PPL :lol:

lets see

I am against these t 20 matches which corrupt the batting skills of players

i would suggest to keep the league domestic, no international players, because pakistanis want to see pakistani players perform in nice matches, the world will see pakistani players in action and not some overseas super stars.. i hate the ipl idea.. i also suggest to make 30 overs innings

the league should have 20 teams from different regions, and atleast 3 teams from KPK and balochistan

how abt arab sheikhs owning some franchises lolzz

I am against these t 20 matches which corrupt the batting skills of players

I had always been the solicitor for Test cricket but the time has changed now - may be we should also now move forward

we need players for all three formats and there is nothing wrong in playing Gulli-Danda or Baseball kind of T-20 in cricket

Test cricket is great , ODI is ideal balance, 20/20 is more of a joke

But success of 20/20 depend on hugh population , so ideally it should be hosted in Pakistan , where there is a huge population

UAE will only be able to attract fans in 1-2 games which have lot of Pakistani players.

Success of IPL is driven by its fans , and people who come to watch the games

I am afrad just hosting in UAE alone will not resolve issues !!!

Second issue is that IPL bank on connecting teams to cities , which brings out passinate fans , which can't be done in UAE.....

Ideal format is

England, Ireland, Pakistan , UAE (Lahore Club, Durbin Club, Dubai Club, Karachi Club, Rawalpindi Club, London Club, Leeds Club, UAE Club)
8 Team IUL (International 20/20 league) -

From my estimates

Karachi
Lahore
Rawalpindi will be guarenteed 20,000 -40,000 fans / match
So will be games in London and Durbin

Just hosting all games in Dubai will not work , the plan has to involved playing in places where there is huge cricket following public

Karachi , Lahore , Rawalpindi is must from Pakistan
London , Durbin from europe
UAE from Middle east

I had always been the solicitor for Test cricket but the time has changed now - may be we should also now move forward

we need players for all three formats and there is nothing wrong in playing Gulli-Danda or Baseball kind of T-20 in cricket

I mean we already have batsman who are good for t-20 matches as they dont have temperament to stay on pitch for playing 50 overs. Dont need to produce more lol

Pakistan's players have not been a part of the IPL since its inaugural season, but the PCB has plans to launch their own equivalent of the Twenty20 tournament, though they have admitted it will not be possible to host it in Pakistan. Instead, they want to host the tournament in Dubai, where Pakistan have played one-day internationals against Australia and South Africa, and the latter in a Test match.

Sultan Rana, the chief of PCB's domestic cricket department, told Pakpassion.net the plans had been in the pipeline for the last two years but the board had to delay it because of the attack on Sri Lanka's cricketers during their tour of Pakistan in March 2009.

"We first considered the idea a couple of years ago," he said. "The documents were complete and we were all set to go, but the attack on the Sri Lankan team meant that we had to shelve all of our plans at that time

"I recently went to Sri Lanka during the World Cup and spoke to many other countries' board representatives, but apart from Sri Lanka they are reluctant to send their players to Pakistan. So, that presents a problem for us. We simply cannot host the tournament in Pakistan if we want to attract the top players."

The IPL was also hosted abroad in its second season, when the tournament was shifted to South Africa after security concerns arising from the Mumbai attacks in December 2008 meant it could not be staged in India. Rana was confident Pakistan's board could do something similar.

"What we are trying to do is to organise a competition in Dubai. This idea was discussed in the past and has very much been in our plans and is still on the table. I'm sure we (PCB) can organise this tournament, which will run along the lines of the Indian Premier League

IPL2 was held SA because of national elections being held simulantioulsy and thus India's security apparatus being tied up in that monumental event, something this article conveniently forgot to mention.

I'm sorry but I just can't see a "PPL" really achieving anywhere near the same success as the IPL for a number of reasons:
1) India is the financial centre of the sport investing billions every year.
2) India has a huge support base domestically
3) India is much more respected on the world stage than India in terms of image
4) India has the massive infrastructure to accommodate an event like IPL
5) Pakistan has huge problems with sporting credibility (fixing,cheating etc)
6) Pakistan doesn't have the financial assests to stage as successful an event in terms of advertising revenue or budgetary resources
7) the security situation in Pakistan means it is doubtful many international players would be attracted to come and play in Pakistan
8) the fact the IPL is already up and running with team loyalty and legislation means that players are unlikely to be tempted to Pakistan especially as it is doubtful the PPL could march salaries.
9) If the PPL enters the Market and so do the English and SA versions there will be Market saturation which the IPL will dominate having the most financial backing and the greatest Market share.
10) the PPL simply cannot match the IPL in terms of salaries and prestige, it was the first and set itself a niche.

IPL is a useless cricket league, its all just for money, PPL should not compete with ipl, and you must be the last guy to talk abt credibility and match fixing, abt that match fixing scandal

there r more fixers sitting in india then anywhere else

IPL is a useless cricket league, its all just for money, PPL should not compete with ipl, and you must be the last guy to talk abt credibility and match fixing, abt that match fixing scandal

there r more fixers sitting in india then anywhere else
More BS from you guys, not a single incident has been reported, not a single credible source! Yet last year alone 3 of your players were found guilty of that exact crime. Why is it whenever Pakistan is accused of sopmthing India is worse??

ppl will be a good thing for pakistan cricket & their cricketers. i hope it works for them. it's just that they should manage it in such away that it's benificial to players & overall cricket in pakistan. worst thing they could do is to try & compete with IPL. if that is the intention, then it's gonna flop even before it takes off!!

Well thats an amazing initiative taken by PCB.no matter it will not be played in Pakistan but still looking forward to it...

Back
Top Bottom