What's new

Pakistan officially inducts HQ 9 Air Defence system

That is not really that relevant. It helps but the key is that do the onboard sensors, radars etc have the ability to detect and track a supersonic cruise missile? With longer range sam, it may be able to intercept a bit sooner as the max speed takes time to build up. Other option is ciws but those are very short range, and at most just protect these SAM batteries.
No,
SAM are designed to go from zero to mach stupid in a few seconds.
It's a big fat rocket motor, strapped to a small payload.

I don't see the Launch vehicle here 🤔

This one seems to be the transporter, as have no hydraulic cylinders to erect the missiles.
The vehicle in front of it seems to be the radar in stowed position.
Screenshot_20211014-203011_YouTube.jpg

This one seems to be the loading unloading crane .
Screenshot_20211014-203030_YouTube.jpg

This one seems to be the command module.
Screenshot_20211014-203042_YouTube.jpg

I don't see the Launcher. Do you??

I don't see the Launch vehicle here 🤔

This one seems to be the transporter, as have no hydraulic cylinders to erect the missiles.
The vehicle in front of it seems to be the radar in stowed position.
View attachment 785082

This one seems to be the loading unloading crane .
View attachment 785083

This one seems to be the command module.
View attachment 785084

I don't see the Launcher. Do you??
I believe that'd have given away the version of the system, so they have not released it.
You can see the launcher here.
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 12.43.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 12.43.55 PM.png

This is excellent news and a good step in the right direction - good to see Pakistan "finally" sees the value of long range SAMs - I suspect this is one of the lessons 'learnt' from the Feb 2019 incident - and while the range may not be what Pakistan requires ie 400km - it offers the stepping stone to 400km as China is developing the HQ-9C to be a competitor to the S400 and when that happens, Pakistan will purchase it.

This variant must be a derivative of the HQ-9B as China has stopped manufacturing the HQ-9A some time ago and the HQ-9B was tested in Feb 2006.

Of course, if Turkey produces a system of the HQ-9C/S400 class - then of course Pakistan will take a look - but Pakistan has now taken the first step, this is exciting news.

The HQ-9B has been inducted and declared FOC before India receives her S400 system!!!

Given that Pakistan has now "offically" bought into the HQ-9 series, subsequent versions will be much easier to integrate to the AD network as alot of the ground work will have been done by this procurement.

I wonder what will happen with India's obsession with surgical strikes? This sytem was unveiled 1 day after Amit Shah said he wanted surgical strikes.. lol !!!!

VT-4, Type-054A Frigates, Chinese JY-27A Anti-Stealth Radar, PL15E - very good upgrades to Pakistan's arsenal recently.

The JY-27A combined with a SARH and IR warhead on the HQ-9P and also the HQ-16, make for a very interesting combination!!!

Any indication anywhere of how many units have been purchased ?

Last edited:
This is excellent news ad a step in the right direction - good to see Pakistan "finally" sees the value of long range SAMs - I suspect this is one of the lessons 'learnt' from the Feb 2019 incident - and while the range may not be what Pakistan requires ie 400km - it offers the stepping stone to 400km as China will improve the HQ-9 series to be a competitor to the S400 and when that happens, Pakistan will purchase it.

Of course, if Turkey produces a system of that class - then of course Pakistan will take a look - but Pakistan has now taken the first step.

Given that Pakistan has now "offically" bought into the HQ-9 series, subsequent versions will be much easier to integrate to the AD network as alot of the ground work will have been done by this procurement.

Any indication anywhere of how many units have been purchased ?

This complicates Indian planning greatly, even at a 250km range it means all stand off weapons bar Bhramos (of which they only have a few capable aircraft to fire it) will be out ranged. Even Brahmos will have to be fired at extreme ranges. Further it provides a 250km air defence umbrella around Karachi making life very tough for the Indian Navy.

Additionally US will now know that the air corridor it has over Pak can be shut done in an instant by a system they have very little knowldge of (HQ-9 not been exported to anyone else yet)

Back
Top Bottom