What's new

Pakistan officially inducts HQ 9 Air Defence system

While we need to be more rational about engagement ranges (considering earth is not flat unlike the indians who seem to think so when talking about S400s), I still believe it is a great addition.

The word "strategic" being thrown around will give us a hint about possible protection arcs.

One For ISB/RWP (Covers approach to PAC and many strat org factories).

One to cover Sargodha arc.

One somewhere else in the middle.

One for KHI.

The above placements are my guesses (if we build up a force of 4+ units).

The launch tubes look different from standard HQ9s. There are no rings and the canisters are smooth cylinders.

Searched many HQ9 pictures but did not find an analog.

@HRK
I am still doing my searching .... my preliminary findings indicates that this is not a version of HQ-9BE but export version of HQ-9 SAM (FD-2000)

Following line in press release of ISPR indicates about this possibility, specially if we keep the previous reports of negotiation in mind which started in 2015 as far as I remember, plz also note HQ-9B was not clear for export at that time
Capable of intercepting multiple air targets including aircrafts, cruise missiles and Beyond Visual Range Weapons at ranges over 100 kilometers

Last edited:
The word "strategic" being thrown around will give us a hint about possible protection arcs.

I think by accepting first unit in Karachi we can assume it will provide Air defence to nuclear installations in Karachi, It was decided at the time of agreement for the nuclear power production units in Karachi would be provided mid to long range air defence cover.

I am still doing my searching .... my preliminary findings indicates that this is not a version of HQ-9BE but export version of HQ-9 SAM (FD-2000)

Following line in press release of ISPR indicates about this possibility, specially if we keep the previous reports of negotiation in mind which started in 2015 as far as I remember, plz also note HQ-9B was not clear for export at that time
It doesn’t match FD2000 either, which has polygonal tube instead of cylinder. Below are a couple of pictures including a recent one of Uzbek FD2000. We can see angled faceted tubes:

1634236595779.jpeg

1634236923863.png

Hopefully in a few days we will get some high resolution images which should clear things up - a bit early to make any firm judgements given how little info ISPR releases in general.

I am certain that Pakistan has purchased a system that is currently being manufactured by China and that can only be the HQ-9B derivative, just like the type 54 frigates which were still being manufactered at time of purchase. i.e an end of HQ-9B manufacturing “sale” at bargain prices before China moves on to start manufacturing the HQ-9C range, just like how the type-054 frigates were purchased at bargain end of manufacturing sale.

China is not going to resurrect an old production line to make a few legacy FD2000, HQ-9, HQ-9A’s just for Pakistan.

The alternative could be that Pakistan has purchased second hand systems from China which in that case could be China getting rid of some of their early generation systems at bargain basement prices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom