What's new

Pakistan officially inducts HQ 9 Air Defence system

Yesterday army blocked entire dockyard just to get the selivery of these from port i had idea that might be air defence system was moving and after 2 days im right
I don't think these arrived yesterday. Been in country for 2+ years. We have achieved FOC - Full Operational Capabilities. Means fully trained crew, system integrated in the overall AD command and deployed.

So,
In 2015 just after initial talks with Russia about acquisition of S-400, indian minister Mannohar parikar declared Pakistan air force obsolete and that PAF can no longer fly planes from Pakistan and will have to move to Afghanistan, because India will Shoot down all PAF jets as soon as they take off.
Since then it's been 6 years and S-400 hasn't touched indian soil, but Indians have already shot down all PAF in their heads and on the Internet.

We Pakistanis only know of a weapon, after its been deployed, run a very skeptical thread on PDF and move on to the usual cursing of the Army and how the Pakistan army has destroyed the country, our hairline, caused our girlfriend flat chest and lactose intolerance.

May be we should celebrate a power attained by the country's military, a bit more.

Pantsir isn’t coming sadly.

However, this completes another chapter for PAs AD corps modernization. HQ-9, LY-80, FM-90 and The new AD center. The only thing that remains is the SRSAMS, what was meant to be pantsir, it will be interesting to see what PA gets instead.
It is true that the HQ-9P systems have been here for a while, they’re just being officially announced now.
I say never say never. After gas pipeline deal with Russia lot of ways will open up.

1634256587193.png

Ours is similar to this one

So,
In 2015 just after initial talks with Russia about acquisition of S-400, indian minister Mannohar parikar declared Pakistan air force obsolete and that PAF can no longer fly planes from Pakistan and will have to move to Afghanistan, because India will Shoot down all PAF jets as soon as they take off.
Since then it's been 6 years and S-400 hasn't touched indian soil, but Indians have already shot down all PAF in their heads and on the Internet.

We Pakistanis only know of a weapon, after its been deployed, run a very skeptical thread on PDF and move on to the usual cursing of the Army and how the Pakistan army has destroyed the country, our hairline, caused our girlfriend flat chest and lactose intolerance.

Maybe we should celebrate a power attained by the country's military, a bit more.
Well, this is our strength, critiquing our armed forces then suggesting improvements and having brainstorms overall benefits this country. Indians as usual take their armed forces propaganda in Biblical wording.

This has caused a propaganda bubble around India where anything outside that bubble is a straight-up lie.

We criticize our armed forces for the betterment, with no grudge or anything.

The launch tubes look different from standard HQ9s. There are no rings and the canisters are smooth cylinders.

Searched many HQ9 pictures but did not find an analog.

@HRK
It doesn’t match FD2000 either, which has polygonal tube instead of cylinder. Below are a couple of pictures including a recent one of Uzbek FD2000. We can see angled faceted tubes:

1634236595779.jpeg

1634236923863.png
Hopefully in a few days we will get some high resolution images which should clear things up - a bit early to make any firm judgements given how little info ISPR releases in general.

I am certain that Pakistan has purchased a system that is currently being manufactured by China and that can only be the HQ-9B derivative, just like the type 54 frigates which were still being manufactered at time of purchase. i.e an end of HQ-9B manufacturing “sale” at bargain prices before China moves on to start manufacturing the HQ-9C range, just like how the type-054 frigates were purchased at bargain end of manufacturing sale.

China is not going to resurrect an old production line to make a few legacy FD2000, HQ-9, HQ-9A’s just for Pakistan.

The alternative could be that Pakistan has purchased second hand systems from China which in that case could be China getting rid of some of their early generation systems at bargain basement prices.
The interesting thing is that the PA is calling it "HQ-9/P." In of itself that may not mean much, but the PA hasn't been shy of using official export designations before -- e.g., LY-80, VT-4, etc. So, if this was a vanilla FD-2000, the PA probably would've called it the FD-2000/P.

It's possible that the HQ-9/P is neither the FD-2000 nor the HQ-9BE, but a unique variant that pre-dates the HQ-9BE, but is more capable than the FD-2000.

Regarding the range, the PA could be playing games. The ISPR clearly said the range is at least 100 km. Now, having been around fauji types for a while now, if the actual range was 100+ km, I don't think the PA would disclose 100+ km as the range. They'd keep it a secret. According to these guys, the Sea Sultan LRMPA should be a top-level state secret, but they're going to tell us the range of a "strategic" SAM? I'm pretty sure the Army didn't even disclose the range of the LY-80 yet.

If anything, the HQ-9/P's range is likely around 200 km, IMHO.

On top of that, I'll bet the PA could buy a high-energy laser for counter-UAV soon too.

The interesting thing is that the PA is calling it "HQ-9/P." In of itself that may not mean much, but the PA hasn't been shy of using official export designations before -- e.g., LY-80, VT-4, etc. So, if this was a vanilla FD-2000, the PA probably would've called it the FD-2000/P.

It's possible that the HQ-9/P is neither the FD-2000 nor the HQ-9BE, but a unique variant that pre-dates the HQ-9BE, but is more capable than the FD-2000.

Regarding the range, the PA could be playing games. The ISPR clearly said the range is at least 100 km. Now, having been around fauji types for a while now, if the actual range was 100+ km, I don't think the PA would disclose 100+ km as the range. They'd keep it a secret. According to these guys, the Sea Sultan LRMPA should be a top-level state secret, but they're going to tell us the range of a "strategic" SAM? I'm pretty sure the Army didn't even disclose the range of the LY-80 yet.

On top of that, I'll bet the PA could buy a high-energy laser for counter-UAV soon too.
You do realise that this type of SAM systems are highly modular, same as S-300 or S-400, and new hardware and capability can be added on the go.

The S400 needs the 48N6 missile to have a range of 400 kilometers. The Russian army received the 48N6 missile in October 2018. The 48N6E3 used by the S400 had a range of only 250 km. India certainly doesn't want the S400 with a range of 250 kilometers, so India also needs to wait for the 48N6. The 48N6 will first supply the Russian army, followed by China (if H9C is successfully developed, China may cancel the S400 order. China's missile propellant technology and miniaturization technology are ahead of Russia). India's S400 should be delivered by the end of this year. This is also the reason why the Pakistani army announced HQ9P.

It really depends on the item. They certainly didn’t cheap out on VT-4. They spent as much as they could on it. They also don’t seem to be doing so for the Z-10ME. And judging by how they’re calling the system, I’m getting an indication that unlike the LY80E, this isn’t just a normal HQ-9/FD2000. But that’s just me wishing. At the end of the day, regardless of what it is, it’s a massive capability boost to our AD.

Maybe they buy the new HQ-9BE system but old HQ-9E missles while the old missles can meet performance requirements.This move can save a lot of money and keep the capability of launching HQ-9BE missles in the future.

original edition HQ-9 used by PLA:

原版HQ-9.JPG

Last edited:

What do you think the mission for these is?

Paa system the firing unit vehicle does not have firer cabin on the missile vehicle itself but looks like centralise firer cabin vehicle which could be away from firing vehicle and away from it ?? Different config
F847DE8C-68D9-4484-BA07-D1197D0309B4.png
7661FC22-5486-4772-897A-C7586563E48C.jpeg

Last edited:
Plus no radar types shown bit 3/4 different radar types covering high medium low altitudes plus passive radar type for detection of stealthy type target are integrated in hq-9

newer aesa of today a single radar can cover all altitudesbut perhaps only for detection not guidance you still need dedicated ??

What do you think the mission for these is?
I don't know. If the Army is taking the long-range SAM requirement off the PAF's hands, then it would be the PAF's HiMADS mission from years ago. Otherwise, it's probably a redundant IADS set-up from VSHORAD all the way up to HiMADS.

Ideally, it'd be a complementary mission where the PA, PN and PAF mapped out their area of responsibilities, and the PAF is moving to the 300+ km range and BMD coverages.

Back
Top Bottom