What's new

Pakistan officially inducts HQ 9 Air Defence system

So who do we credit this time? Who was right all along? Was @PanzerKiel @Blacklight @kursed or @Tipu7?

Who had said 'high quality amreekan mal'? The year is ending fast...
This did not come from me. I am not well aware of Army led stuff, happy nonetheless. =)
Less then a week Pakistan gives some good news to its people and a heart strock to India . after Formal induction of VT-4 now HQ-9. 😁
Nobody will surprise if J-10C start coming in PAF color this year..
Just a few more months now. =)

How many units?
i am sure it has minimum 125km range any one can confirm it?
Why army air defence has why not Air force?

It's probably FD-2000. ISPR said the range is 100+ km. See description.

FD2000 has polygonal launch tubes though:

1634236595779.jpeg

1634236923863.png

1634236939874.png

One being inducted is cylindrical.

Last edited:
It seems like we bought the older launch variant 125km range is okay but still not satisfactory, at least something semi credible is here after decades.

But I like the approach building short-range credibility of the AD first was a solid step.

FD2000 has polygonal launch tubes though:

View attachment 785062
One being inducted is cylindrical.
They will obviously under-report the range. They give a vague “100+ KM” figure and leave it at that, the actual maximum range (and the range at which it can intercept different targets) is different and varies massively with the altitude, size and air-speed of the target, as well as its trajectory and even the weather conditions. There is concrete “maximum range” for such a SAM system, just like there isn’t for a BVR missile.

We can keep guessing what version PA had inducted, but it should be noted that regardless of the missile and the launchers (which do no looked identical to FD2000), the other systems present in it would have to be upgraded anyways, as buying pre-2010 tech simply wouldn’t make sense.

It's probably FD-2000. ISPR said the range is 100+ km. See description.

I would go so far as to say that it may even be HQ-9BE, reason being, when PA buys the export version of a certain weapon, they use the export designation, they haven’t had issues doing so in the past, specifically with SAMS (FM-90 and LY80E). However for this one not only did the not use the FD2000 name, they didn’t use a basic HQ-9 or HQ-9E designation either. I’d say It’s called HQ-9P for a reason. The range will vary and will be underreported regardless.

It seems like we bought the older launch variant 125km range is okay but still not satisfactory, at least something semi credible is here after decades.

But I like the approach building short-range credibility of the AD first was a solid step.
It's the "P" variant which isn't old.
The missile itself is a two stage 200+ kg missile. If you believe it has such a short range then I feel sorry for you :lol:
I would go so far as to say that it may even be HQ-9BE, reason being, when PA buys the export version of a certain weapon, they use the export designation, they haven’t had issues doing so in the past, specifically with SAMS (FM-90 and LY80E). However for this one not only did the not use the FD2000 name, they didn’t use a basic HQ-9 or HQ-9E designation either. I’d say It’s called HQ-9P for a reason. The range will vary and will be underreported regardless.
The press release clearly says "HQ-9P" not B or BE

It's the "P" variant which isn't old.
The missile itself is a two stage 200+ kg missile. If you believe it has such a short range then I feel sorry for you :lol:

The press release clearly says "HQ-9P" not B or BE
Read my post again. BE is currently the best version of the missile available for sale. If we are to take the best case scenario, HQ-9P is likely an HQ-9BE with Pakistan-specific changes. We cannot just assume at this stage that HQ-9P is a very new or very unique system, just because It has that designation. And the range may well just be 125KM. And at the same time it could be 260KM. Depends on the target and all the other launch conditions, as I mentioned before.

Back
Top Bottom