What's new

Pakistan nowhere in Obama visit to region

Well for one, there will be a large backlash from the opposition, as well as the public - all pointing to the govt to say: "We told you so, we said we're being prostituted, have given our lives on the order of that country, and their President can't even step off the plane to visit us whilst he's in the region, let alone say thanks"

That will ultimately place the govt in a pretty difficult and indefensible spot.

When someone you know, someone you consider your friend comes to your town after many years, you expect them to pay you a visit. But they don't, so that hurts. That hurts in Indian culture, that hurts in Pakistani culture too, hain na? But what if that person comes, visits your neighbour, whose house is to your right, and then visits your neighbour, whose house is to your left, but then doesn't knock on your door and leaves. It hurts even more doesn't it? Especially when you've done so much for them.

Taking that analogy, you can see this will cause resentment and consternation across the board. It will reinforce the suspicions and anger towards the US, not lessen them.

The govt is weak, it's seen as the slave of the US, and this will be a huge slap in the face, a massive snub. The consequences will be a media on the rampage, whipping up emotions, a public charged, the opposition (PML-N, PML, Islamic parties, PTI), all emboldened with a big stick to beat the govt. How can the govt save face? What can Zardari give as an excuse?

Unfortunately in many cases we've seen, we operate on a tit-for-tat basis when it comes to treatment accorded to India. Nuclear deal, military hardware etc. Anything that is a +1 for India, must be a +1 for us. That's the mindset, as petty as it might sound. So if he's visiting India, smiling and shaking hands with MMS in Delhi, he must do the same in Islamabad.

Skipping a stopover in Pakistan would be stupidity of the highest order from the US. The political equivalent of Obama handing the noose to Zardari & co.

My 2 cents.

Obama did come next door to India - if I am not mistaken he did visit China and even Singapore- as an Indian I was not offended. If Obama were to visit Pakistan and Nepal and skip India, I wouldn't be offended either. But the whole desi mentality of being enamored by foreigners is degrading. During the Clinton visit, every 2nd Indian MP was tripping over each other in the Lok Sabha to shake Clinton's hand. I don't think even Monica Lewinsky gave Clinton as much importance as some of our MPs did. And Jaswant Singh - the Foreign Minister was showing various sights to Clinton's teenage daughter - you would think that the Foreign Minister had more important things to do.

If he will visit India he will get dollars in terms of many deals . If he visit Pakistan he will loose dollars in terms of aid.

After CNNs discloser about Osama being in Pakistan, more Americans will tend to be anti Pakistani....hence no Obama visit either...

Actually Obama should visit pakistan its sends the wrong signal about WOT. We have worked hard to build the rebellious impression of facing the US with courage. Obama setting his steps in Pakistan once again means we are obeying them.

^^ Who knows he might just do that at the last moment. Although, I do agree if he doesn't go to Pakistan, it will send a very negative signal to GoP and PA.

After CNNs discloser about Osama being in Pakistan, more Americans will tend to be anti Pakistani....hence no Obama visit either...

lol, CNNs "disclosure" is a recent phenomenon. It has no bearing upon Obama's visit. But you're darn right about the anti-Pakistani sentiment rising in the US.

Even on this forum, I've been noticing the rampant anti-Americanism, to the point of cheering terrorists who blew up NATO tankers!! What gives?

lol, CNNs "disclosure" is a recent phenomenon. It has no bearing upon Obama's visit. But you're darn right about the anti-Pakistani sentiment rising in the US.

Even on this forum, I've been noticing the rampant anti-Americanism, to the point of cheering terrorists who blew up NATO tankers!! What gives?

Try anti us sentiment in Pakistan? i bet not even 2% people like usa or americans (coz of their B.S rants ... try:
Not giving access to Pak products into US market despite calling us(Pak) ur key ally and all tht stuff?
Not recognizing our sacrifices in americas WOT or War of terror!!
Who sacrifised 25000 civilians? almost 3000 soldiers, economy and infrastructure valued more then 70 billion in the past 9 years?
Bringing weapons into Pakistan illegally?getting caught and sucking up?
Being biased on Nuclear deal?
Making foolish statements ... crusades etc?
Insulting leaders on US air ports? Try M.N.As and top military brass which then cancelled their visits and USA had to apologize?

Shooting at our posts and martyring our troops?

Heck i didnt even talk abt the past!!!?

We dont give a big bleedin *.... abt u guys.Its time we part our ways frm usa for good.

Try anti us sentiment in Pakistan? i bet not even 2% people like usa or americans (coz of their B.S rants ... try:
Not giving access to Pak products into US market despite calling us(Pak) ur key ally and all tht stuff?
Who sacrifised 25000 civilians? almost 3000 soldiers, economy and infrastructure valued more then 70 billion in the past 9 years?
Insulting leaders on US air ports? Try M.N.As and top military brass which then cancelled their visits and USA had to apologize?

We dont give a big bleedin *.... abt u guys.Its time we part our ways frm usa for good.

Again the same logic, WOT and our sacrifices.

But please do tell, why WOT in Pakistan only? Why every terrorist of every hue and color in Pakistan?
Pakistan is not fighting WOT in any other country, its your own country, don't you think The Americans are heping you to clear the mess? And on top of that they are also paying you for it.

Or is it that you dont want any of these Terrorists killed??:what:

It is as much Pakistan's war as it is America's war if not more...much more.

Americans believe Pakistan is abusing the alliance and supporting attacks on US soldiers in Afghanistan.

Pakistanis believe the US is abusing the alliance, is responsible for the terrorism and instability in Pakistan because of its Afghan invasion, and is supporting terrorists attacking Pakistanis (not to mention the negative impact from US sanctions on Pakistan in the past, the canceling of the F-16 deal, support for Israel etc.).

On CNN's so called 'disclosure' - ludicrous. Apparently CNN can find out details about OBL's 'lifestyle in hiding', but NATO cannot locate him.

The guys above said it. Why is it America's WoT? It ought to be Pakistan's WoT as much as ours. Considering the fact that Pakistan stands to lose the most if the Taliban win this war, I'd have expected Pakistanis to rejoice that NATO is cleaning up the trash.

Or perhaps you want the Taliban to win this war? Just say so openly then. Let's not have this rigmarole of 'allies in WoT' and all that.

Americans believe Pakistan is abusing the alliance and supporting attacks on US soldiers in Afghanistan.

Pakistanis believe the US is abusing the alliance, is responsible for the terrorism and instability in Pakistan because of its Afghan invasion, and is supporting terrorists attacking Pakistanis (not to mention the negative impact from US sanctions on Pakistan in the past, the canceling of the F-16 deal, support for Israel etc.).

On CNN's so called 'disclosure' - ludicrous. Apparently CNN can find out details about OBL's 'lifestyle in hiding', but NATO cannot locate him.

Well, I suppose it works both ways. At the end it all, neither of us trusts the other!

A little curious about the 'Israel' part though - how does that impact relations with Pakistan?

And yeah, CNNs "disclosure" is ludicrous. let em' claim the bounty on OBLs head if they're so sure!! :cheesy:

Ah what nice coincident that you are aware of this forum and you dont know that your official govt and Pentagon is telling the world loud and clear they are transporting the same "terrorists who blew up NATO tankers" (to which you see so much cheering here) for talks in Kabul

But well just another American or just another Indian under American flag nevermind

The guys above said it. Why is it America's WoT? It ought to be Pakistan's WoT as much as ours. Considering the fact that Pakistan stands to lose the most if the Taliban win this war, I'd have expected Pakistanis to rejoice that NATO is cleaning up the trash.

Or perhaps you want the Taliban to win this war? Just say so openly then. Let's not have this rigmarole of 'allies in WoT' and all that.

It did not have to be war to begin with. Bob Woodward's book points out that Pakistani intelligence argued that war and invasion was not the answer and that the Taliban could be convinced to come to an agreement that resulted in the trial of OBL. The Taliban themselves offered the possibility of having OBL prosecuted in Afghanistan or a mutually acceptable third country - but they were not willing to just hand him over to the US on the basis of US demands.

These were all sensible proposals that might have avoided the tens of thousands of lives lost so far in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and the spike of extremism in the region, Pakistan specifically. Pakistanis are justified in feeling resentful at being dragged into this mess by a blundering and war-mongering US.

Back
Top Bottom